Real-life Personalities

Assassin in Burgundy

Often online, we're completely different. And since most of us will never meet in real life, I ask this. What are you like in real life? I have two mood sets that vary randomly. The first one is usually when I'm tired or I have stuff to do. I'll be more methodical, quieter, and thoughtful. I'm much more introverted and don't interact much. The second occurs less often. I'll just be happier. I'll have a swing in my step, I laugh and smile more, and just generally feel good. I'm much brasher and much more extroverted. I guess you could say my mood Waxes and Waynes :P

So, what are you like? Response appreciated. 

I swear a lot more and talk with my hands. ENFP, pretty gay but not stereotypically or, ah... flamboyantly so. I use sarcasm often, but as Malon said, it's hard to use sarcasm over text. Lots of guitar. Lots of dry humor. 

There's more but I'm spending time with the family, so I'll add more later. 

Edited by bleeder

Note that most of my true personality comes out only if we know each other beyond mere acquaintance. INFP + Asperger's = socializing is hard.

I talk a lot more, at least, once you get me rolling. Nerdy topics are a good way to do this. But if you see me staring off into the distance or giggling during a serious conversation, it's not because you're boring, it's because something you said reminded me of something reminded me of something reminded me of something -- and you get the idea.

I'm also quite loopy. And a little dark. Deadpan over-exaggerations. Easily distracted, as mentioned.

I used to be a lot more energetic and silly, and didn't give a rusty bucket what people thought of it. But now, thanks introversion! I care a bit more. So, if we were good friends, you might catch a glimpse of just how weird I can be.

Oh, and if you're looking for your keys, I ate them. Sorry. :rolleyes: 

I swear a lot, and I'm somewhat more reserved in social situations IRL than I am on here. The pug worship adoration is about the same, though, and so are the joking and the weird thoughts. My taste in music is a little random; in the car, I'll listen to a country song followed by a pop song followed by an emo song without getting mood whiplash. 

I'm also a good bit more sarcastic IRL than I am on here, because, as bleeder said, sarcasm doesn't tend to translate well over text. 

Though if I could hide comments IRL the way I can on here, I'd be all over that. I think it would just be a nice feature for Life to implement in the upgrade. :ph34r: 

I talk a lot. I think. Possibly. Hopefully not. It feels like I talk a lot. I'm also pretty awkward at first, unless you like Marvel or stuff like that. Conversations are hard, people! 
I make offhand comments all the time, some of which make sense and some don't. But you know, they only work in the right circumstances.

I'm known for telling people exactly what I'm thinking. Usually that's a good thing, but occasionally it's not . . .

Due to my bluntness and rational approach to problem-solving I often serve as a sort of counselor for some of my friends: they know that I'll tell them the best way to deal with something without holding anything back.

However, I'm usually an introvert, and so those who don't know me usually just take me as a stereotypical nerd who does AP homework on the weeknights, plays D&D on Saturday, and goes to church on Sunday. In truth, I do all of those things (except D&D is on Friday as much as it's on Saturday :D), but I'm far from a flat personality. Most of my good friends think I'm a little crazy (genius is close to madness, right? Right?), and I'm okay with that.

I also go on lots of dates, but I'm not looking for a real commitment before I serve an LDS mission, so I usually just date friends with whom I can have a good time without either of us thinking that it'll turn into a relationship. I am a major flirt, but in a non-dirty way. Some people don't quite get the memo, though, so occasionally I get someone who thinks that I just change girlfriends like I change nerdy shirts or (even worse) that I have multiple girlfriends at once. That's just weird, people!

It honestly depends on who I'm with. If I'm with a group of people that I know really well, I talk a decent amount and tell what I consider to be jokes. If I'm around people I'm unfamiliar with, I rarely talk unless I'm prompted to or someone asks me a question. I tend to hang out with people I'm familiar with, I don't really go out of my way to meet new people. My humor ranges from extreme sarcasm to dark humor to stupid puns, and I probably curse way more often than I should. Sometimes I unintentionally repeat myself in conversations, and I'm working on not doing that anymore. I like going out and doing stuff, but I'd die before I went to any kind of party. Sometimes I'll go and hang out at a friend's house and won't get home until one in the morning, sometimes I'd prefer to stay at home and read and play video games.  

My base personality is pretty much the same, but I'm very filtered on the Shard (though not quite as filtered as I am at work).  Like, if I had a RL warning label, it would say something like, "WARNING: contains adult content and angry unicorns. Is volatile if friends are threatened. Do not bend, fold, spindle, mutilate, individual or individual's name. Might explode if poked with sharp things."

I'm a bit less filtered on Facebook.  If you are 18+ and we are friendly on the Shard and you are clever enough to find me, I will probably accept a friend request.  (Sorry, younglings, I have a general rule of only friending minors if I know their parents.)

I'm more articulate in text than in speech, mostly because my brain tends to run faster than my mouth can keep up.  So I'll suddenly be thinking half a sentence ahead of where I am and will lose my place, have to rewind, and basically fall into a weird mock-stammer where I repeat 1/2 - 3 words a couple of times as I try to pick up my train of thought again.

3 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

I'm way more political and sweary.

This is true.  WAY more. :)

1 hour ago, Patar said:

It honestly depends on who I'm with. If I'm with a group of people that I know really well, I talk a decent amount and tell what I consider to be jokes. If I'm around people I'm unfamiliar with, I rarely talk unless I'm prompted to or someone asks me a question. I tend to hang out with people I'm familiar with, I don't really go out of my way to meet new people. My humor ranges from extreme sarcasm to dark humor to stupid puns, and I probably curse way more often than I should. Sometimes I unintentionally repeat myself in conversations, and I'm working on not doing that anymore. I like going out and doing stuff, but I'd die before I went to any kind of party. Sometimes I'll go and hang out at a friend's house and won't get home until one in the morning, sometimes I'd prefer to stay at home and read and play video games.  

You are also talkative when you meet a Sharder for the first time and hang out for a bit. :)

This... This isn't real life? 

Kidding aside, I feel as if my text is more my true self than my speech ever is. I get weird looks when I talk like I write/think, so my "real life" self is almost like a mishmash High Imperial of what's actually going on in my head. 

Not to sound overly condescending, but it's almost like I'm "dumbing it down"  to interact irl with the majority of people I cross on a day to day basis. Less so with my friends and family, and more so with strangers and co-workers. 

Everyone has many faces.

At work I am extremely professional, controlled and engaging, as well as seeming very outgoing (normally I'm more introverted, but at work I'm in my element and talking to people is what I'm paid to do). Once at work I spent the afternoon/evening in charge and on top of things, when my dog who I'd loved dearly had died that morning. No one knew except my boss (whose office I went to briefly to have a short breakdown, chat and a hug). Everyone else thought I was just having a normal day. 

At my university I tend to present myself (partly intentional, partly unintentional) as a bit more outgoing than I feel I usually am; I act self-confident and comfortable. 

At my church I tend to be a bit quieter and in the back, but that's because it's a small church I haven't been going to for too long, and most of the people are either 5 years older than me or 5 years younger (plus I'm usually running the tech stuff). 

Around friends and family? Lord knows how I act. I rarely think about it. 

A ridiculius amount of puns though. Like, so many.

In one thing I can echo @Kaymyth - I think faster than I talk, and often catch my self stuttering/stammering as my brain rushes ahead of my mouth. I can be very articulate in speech, but I tend to be more so in text because the medium draws a greater degree of precision and control out of me. 

So me online - more precise, less punny. 

Edited by Erunion (The Incorrigible)
Proper tag/spelling

Well, in RL I'm way more quiet and introverted. Also, did I ever mention that I have mild OCD and my favorite color is white? I also  have a very dry sense of humor and enjoy classical music. Conversations with me are a bit disjointed because I'll think about what they said for a minute or two before answering. Around friends, libraries, and people holding a book I'm much more outgoing. I tend to spend a few hours each week at a public library and by now I'm recognized nearly instantly at most libraries in my area.

I try to be fairly consistent across different situations and mediums (aiming to be the best I can in each, not just "as I am" or whatever). In any case I'm certainly a little more refined online than in person, having lots of time to think about what you're saying makes it easier. Other than that I think I act more confidently online than I do in some irl situations (mostly parties and events) but no different to others. *Shrug*

Oh, and less puns and silly jokes online :P They tend to work better in the moment.

IRL I like to spout off random bits of trivia about animals, books, movies, languages, or anything else that the current conversation reminds me of. Classmates in my college courses have expressed surprise at how many things I remember from having learned them in high school.

I consider myself mostly an introvert in that I see no problem with staying home on a Friday night to read a book or watch Netflix alone. But if you put me in a crowd of geeks at Salt Lake Comic Con or a line for a book signing or a gaggle of birdwatchers in the woods, I like never shut up. When it comes to things I'm really enthusiastic about, I could talk for hours about them.

1 hour ago, Sunbird said:

IRL I like to spout off random bits of trivia about animals, books, movies, languages, or anything else that the current conversation reminds me of. Classmates in my college courses have expressed surprise at how many things I remember from having learned them in high school.

I consider myself mostly an introvert in that I see no problem with staying home on a Friday night to read a book or watch Netflix alone. But if you put me in a crowd of geeks at Salt Lake Comic Con or a line for a book signing or a gaggle of birdwatchers in the woods, I like never shut up. When it comes to things I'm really enthusiastic about, I could talk for hours about them.

Oh, heck, I'm 39 years old and still do this to my coworkers.  They have flat-out told me before, "Rosemary, normal people in their 30s don't remember things they learned in high school."

Second paragraph, also me.  Except that I can often go wallflower if I don't have someone to anchor myself to; this is a lot of the reason that I costume.  It gives me a "hook" to get people to talk to me.

Just now, Kaymyth said:

Oh, heck, I'm 39 years old and still do this to my coworkers.  They have flat-out told me before, "Rosemary, normal people in their 30s don't remember things they learned in high school."

See, I'm like this too, but I am in high school, and most of my friends don't remember the stuff they learned yesterday

I just spout out random stuff and my friends have gotten used to it by now. 

ITALICS WOO

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

See, I'm like this too, but I am in high school, and most of my friends don't remember the stuff they learned yesterday

I just spout out random stuff and my friends have gotten used to it by now. 

Same same. Though I don't know if mine have gotten used to it.