Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

I... never quite get far enough in anything, honestly. I feel like I need to build a world before I can build the characters... but then I never figure out how to go about doing the worldbuilding, what ideas are good, what are bad...

I know that is stuff which comes in time, but... still. I feel like I should better than I am.

As a side note, the new Justice League trailer dropped:

Aquaman is amazing. I admit, I'm a little annoyed that they are going over the top to make him seem "badass" because, you know... Aquaman IS a badass. But still! He made me laugh. For a DCEU film, that's an accomplishment.

4 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I like to flesh them out before I start--but just enough that they interest me. That way, when I add things as I go, it feels more like I'm discovering something new about a character I already knew. 

A good way to go about it.

I just have trouble with characters in general. Though recently, I've been able to assign dialogue based on "hmm, how would this character feel about this, and how would they say it?" So I think I'm getting better. We'll see.

27 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

A good way to go about it.

I just have trouble with characters in general. Though recently, I've been able to assign dialogue based on "hmm, how would this character feel about this, and how would they say it?" So I think I'm getting better. We'll see.

Two books that helped me with the basics of characterization were Creating Characters: How to Build Story People by Dwight V. Swain and (oddly enough) a self-help book called The Real You by Kevin Leman. The former explains the basics of characterization and how to convey them on the page; though some of his dialogue was a bit dated in the edition I read (several years ago, so there could be an updated version now) his advice is solid. The latter explains the four basic personality types (choleric, melancholy, sanguine, phlegmatic), birth order, and how all of those interact with formative events to influence personality and actions. Being a self-help book, it's definitely geared more toward helping the reader get through whatever's ailing them, but I gleaned some really good characterization tips from reading it. 

Though I'd be remiss if I didn't say that what helped me learn the most about characterization was writing fanfic. If there's a character who speaks to you, try writing some stories about them. You'll be able to tell when they're acting out of character (and if you don't catch it, your readers will) and figuring out what they'd do in a particular situation will help you learn what makes them tick. As you learn what makes them tick, you'll be more aware of what makes other characters tick; you'll probably find yourself adding events to their past that explain why they act the way they do. And as you do that, you'll learn more about how to construct your own characters. 

Of course, creating your own characters will still be difficult, to some degree. For my WIP's protagonist, I had to sit down and really think through what his history was like, how that affected him, and how all that interacted with his personality. But once you've built the basis (history, personality, feelings toward family) it'll be easier to add smaller things onto that, like how the character would react when terrified, or how they feel about cherry turnovers. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

39 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Two books that helped me with the basics of characterization were Creating Characters: How to Build Story People by Dwight V. Swain and (oddly enough) a self-help book called The Real You by Kevin Leman. The former explains the basics of characterization and how to convey them on the page; though some of his dialogue was a bit dated in the edition I read (several years ago, so there could be an updated version now) his advice is solid. The latter explains the four basic personality types (choleric, melancholy, sanguine, phlegmatic), birth order, and how all of those interact with formative events to influence personality and actions. Being a self-help book, it's definitely geared more toward helping the reader get through whatever's ailing them, but I gleaned some really good characterization tips from reading it. 

Though I'd be remiss if I didn't say that what helped me learn the most about characterization was writing fanfic. If there's a character who speaks to you, try writing some stories about them. You'll be able to tell when they're acting out of character (and if you don't catch it, your readers will) and figuring out what they'd do in a particular situation will help you learn what makes them tick. As you learn what makes them tick, you'll be more aware of what makes other characters tick; you'll probably find yourself adding events to their past that explain why they act the way they do. And as you do that, you'll learn more about how to construct your own characters. 

Of course, creating your own characters will still be difficult, to some degree. For my WIP's protagonist, I had to sit down and really think through what his history was like, how that affected him, and how all that interacted with his personality. But once you've built the basis (history, personality, feelings toward family) it'll be easier to add smaller things onto that, like how the character would react when terrified, or how they feel about cherry turnovers. 

Ooh, I'll add them to my list.

Ah, fanfic. I've been wanting to write some for years now. Maybe using it like this, as a way to practice, will help. Thanks for the advice. :) 

Actually, I'm reminded a bit of Wayne when he's slipping into a role -- he tries out different motivations and voices until he finds the right one, and then he proceeds to infiltrate enemy territory with ease. :P

Edited by Slowswift

I have a little notebook that's got notes in it on worldbuilding, plot, characters, etc. But as I came up with new/better ideas, some things became redundant. I also have a little section on the word document itself that has some stuff about the world and its culture.
As for characters, I'll sometimes invent them and decide their personalities beforehand, but at other times they just...happen. I have literally no idea where one of my character's personality comes from.

@Darkness Ascendant, there is something I wanted to ask you: where the hell are you getting all that mad rep? I mean, you've gone toe to toe with me and finally outpaced me and I've been going on rocket fuel of posting a batch of new WoBs from two events, no less, AND trolling forum on Brandon's request. Not even powerful memes can do that.

What sorcery is this? What part of forum am I missing?

Edited by Oversleep

10 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

@Darkness Ascendant, there is something I wanted to ask you: where the hell are you getting all that mad rep? I mean, you've gone toe to toe with me and finally outpaced me and I've been going on rocket fuel of posting a batch of new WoBs from two events, no less, AND trolling forum on Brandon's request. Not even powerful memes can do that.

Perhaps it is his participation in the General Discussion. Other than that, I would be very curious to know his tactics.

@Quiver YOU MUST READ THE HUSH BY SKY-MELKEI WEGNER

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23525571-the-hush It's literally music is magic. And I found it interesting.

@Slowswift It is very helpful having things like Magic Systems, races, maps, terrains, language figured out before hand in a general  sense. Because as you encounter situations you will find that you need to tweek the magic systems, characters etc etc . Honestly. writing is like diving headfirst into unknown territory, it's just you, your wits, and some writing implements. And the only way you can survive and write a storming awesome book is by recording everything. NEVER discard an idea, every time you get an idea for a plot, character, magic system, it is best to write it down. SO MANY TIMES have I had an awesome idea, but forgotten about it because I didn't write it down.

6 hours ago, Quiver said:

I... never quite get far enough in anything, honestly. I feel like I need to build a world before I can build the characters... but then I never figure out how to go about doing the worldbuilding, what ideas are good, what are bad...

I know that is stuff which comes in time, but... still. I feel like I should better than I am.

As a side note, the new Justice League trailer dropped:

Reveal hidden contents

Aquaman is amazing. I admit, I'm a little annoyed that they are going over the top to make him seem "badass" because, you know... Aquaman IS a badass. But still! He made me laugh. For a DCEU film, that's an accomplishment.

If you need help world-building. We're always here for u to throw ideas at, I'm here if you need help with characters or anything. I find helping others with their ideas gives me ideas and motivate me to write more as well. Truthfully, I think it's because I feel a little ashamed when I see others work on their things with dedication, and I'm sorta here smiling awkwardly XD.

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles They look like helpful books :D I might check them out.

1 hour ago, A Budgie said:

I have a little notebook that's got notes in it on worldbuilding, plot, characters, etc. But as I came up with new/better ideas, some things became redundant. I also have a little section on the word document itself that has some stuff about the world and its culture.
As for characters, I'll sometimes invent them and decide their personalities beforehand, but at other times they just...happen. I have literally no idea where one of my character's personality comes from.

Mhm. I used to do that alot and I feel a little guilty that I've sort of stopped lately...

33 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

@Darkness Ascendant, there is something I wanted to ask you: where the hell are you getting all that mad rep? I mean, you've gone toe to toe with me and finally outpaced me and I've been going on rocket fuel of posting a batch of new WoBs from two events AND trolling forum on Brandon's request. Not even powerful memes can do that.

aw Shucks.

*raises hands

The game is up, I've been soothing you all into pressing the upvote button!

23 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Perhaps it is his participation in the General Discussion. Other than that, I would be very curious to know his tactics.

Honestly. I realised that being active here helps me get through life more. I've gotten alot more relaxed since I joined this site. And well, I've also found that helping others makes me feel better as well. So I've literally just been extremely active. 

Just now, Darkness Ascendant said:

@Quiver YOU MUST READ THE HUSH BY SKY-MELKEI WEGNER

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23525571-the-hush It's literally music is magic. And I found it interesting.

Darn.

I mena, thanks. I'm sure that's an interesting book! I just hate the ide of imitating someone elses work, even if I didn't know that the idea already existed. Guess I'm putting Solfege on the back burner projects wise, too...

4 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Darn.

I mena, thanks. I'm sure that's an interesting book! I just hate the ide of imitating someone elses work, even if I didn't know that the idea already existed. Guess I'm putting Solfege on the back burner projects wise, too...

nanana, trust me. this one's probably nothing like your idea. 

Oh, and @Oversleep The part of the forum you're missing is Sanderson Elimination. Roleplaying there gets lots of rep if you do it right :D and I recently co-GMed a game, so I got upvotes from writeups and things.

Edited by Darkness Ascendant
Storms. Now I feel like I shouldn't have brought up The Hush

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

Darn.

I know exactly what you mean :lol: I had the idea for music being magic a few years ago too, and when I saw that you'd thought of it, I was super disappointed. 

But with humans having been around for thousands of years, there's not many stories that haven't been told. Just make the idea yours and have your own spin to it. You'll do great. :) 

Well said @The Honor Spren :D 

@Quiver

Your story will be unique through your characters, plots, ideas, action, the prose, the dialogue, the love, the sorrow, the pain endured writing it, the tears shed in the hopelessness of it, the hours spent toiling, the meals left uneaten, the moments of clarity, where everything just fits. Indeed, the process of writing is an art unto itself, a joy to the soul and a pain to the mind. 

Ars Gratia Artis my friends, Ars Gratia Artis

About music magic: I started figuring out Lanternlight for real. The thing is, music magic is just part of the magic system. The whole thing is wave-based magic. Light does its own thing, acoustic waves (especially music) does it own thing and lately I've been thinking of adding shockmages - they can generate shockwaves.

@Darkness Ascendant, oh, The Sanderson Elimination. I've heard of it. I will probable never even approach that forum - I'm afraid it would consume more of my time :ph34r:

@Quiver WRITE DOWN EVERY SINGLE IDEA. No matter how small or strange. It may sound stupid now; but then one day it could click wonderfully with another idea and create a seed for something good. For me it's been working; that's how Lanternlight came to be, for example.

1 hour ago, Sunbird said:

Sure do. Since I started using it, I've amassed a huge library of free or 99-cent Kindle books that I'll probably never get around to reading. XD

so... like Steam for books? :D

Edited by Oversleep

aha same @Sunbird XD

6 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

@Darkness Ascendant, oh, The Sanderson Elimination. I've heard of it. I will probable never even approach that forum - I'm afraid it would consume more of my time :ph34r:

uh yes, sadly true, I have never managed to balance it with my real life XD

6 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

so... like Steam for books? :D

Yeah, but no storming Gaben. And Series don't end on Book 2.

Edited by Darkness Ascendant
#stillwaiting

On 22/03/2017 at 5:22 AM, Kaymyth said:

There...are a couple of ponds within a mile or two? Our metro area is really about the closest major city to the center of the continental United States. Those gulls (or their progenitors) had to travel a long way to get here.

I mean, maybe they followed waterways farther and farther inland, but the closest turn of the Kansas River is about 8 miles away. The Missouri River is about twice that distance.

What's the local water source?

On 24/03/2017 at 4:26 AM, A Budgie said:

In Aussieland, we have lots of mozzies...

Ain't a really Aussie till you've swallowed one......wait that's flies.....wait. 

On 25/03/2017 at 3:05 AM, Quiver said:

That's an alternative theory :ph34r:

Forgot what my reply to this was gonna be. I'll try to back and work it out when I'm not on mobile. 

On 25/03/2017 at 3:28 AM, Quiver said:

Yeah, it's...

Honestly, I keep hitting a pretty serious writing block wall: I have absolutely no plots.

On 25/03/2017 at 2:43 PM, Quiver said:

The problem I keep running into is...

I might have a single idea. "Oh, it'd be cool to do a naval fantasy setting." "What is clothes gave people magic?" "MLP expy musicians in a world where music is magic."

... but then I never really know what to DO with any of that. World build? Okay... I have no diea what I'm worldbuilding to. Characters? I have a vauge, detached concept for one, but they don't seem connected to the world itself. Plots? Yeah, got nothing on that front...

It's... depressing. -_-

On a side note, I'm gonna go see Power Rangers this afternoon :ph34r:

A Sanderson/writing excuses thing is: ok who is hurt the most by this magic ie tone deaf person in a magic world is the most obvious one. 

21 hours ago, Oversleep said:

This topic is not random enough.

(taken from "important videos" playlist)

THERES A GUN TO YOUR HEAD

AND DEATH IN HIS EYES

BUT YOU CAN DO JUI JITSU

my roommates played that video projected onto the wall with proper speakers last night to introduce it to a friend who hadn't seen the video. It was great. 

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I have seen Moana and it is fabulous. 

Make waaaaay make waaaay 

Moana its time you knew

the village of Motonui is aaaah you need.

19 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

:D Did you like the twist? 

Genderfluid much XD 

genderfluid? Which bit?

5 hours ago, Delightful said:

Make waaaaay make waaaay 

Moana its time you knew

the village of Motonui is aaaah you need.

genderfluid? Which bit?

Spoilers for Moana:

Spoiler

I think he meant the part where the big baddy turns to a girl, when it appeared that it was a guy.