Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

2 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

I got over not standing for the anthem or pledge in the 1st grade when the new kid was a Jehova's Witness. 

Besides, didn't JJ Abrams fix this issue already? 

Yeah, I just don't see the big deal over how people act during either the anthem or pledge. For a while in school I didn't do the pledge since it wasn't a priority to me, even now as an adult it's not a high priority especially the Texas pledge (is Texas the only state where they want people to pledge allegiance to their flag???) which I don't do because Texas is not where my heart lies at all.

No matter how many people rant and rave about kneeling vs standing for the flag I really don't care what other people do or think. It's enough for me to have my own strong convictions without trying to force it upon others and make them believe as I do. It's a shame we all can't follow the advice of Voltaire and, "we must all cultivate our garden." If its one thing I have learned in life is that it is very seldom that people want to have a open discussion about anything. People mostly want to tell you how you are wrong and why you should listen to them.

6 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Do they, really? I did not know that and my reaction is: 

Mfw+i+don+t+know+who+this+person+is+_a38

Yup. It goes:

Honor the Texas flag, I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, One State under God, one and indivisible

Pretty pretentious really. Also the "one state under God" wasn't in there when I was in school so it's a recent change.

I found a praying mantis on Monday. :D Photos in the spoiler in case anyone here has a phobia of large bugs. (7 pictures)

Spoiler

Peekaboo!

IMG_3611_EU_Mantis_Crop.thumb.jpg.1b7acb9d1b670a64d8b8ac1890e03a93.jpg

I enjoyed the silliness of putting a church in the background... (Praying mantis, get it?? :P)

IMG_3639_EU_Mantis_Crop.thumb.jpg.88f6aafee939f69b4b536b38abf53695.jpg

But seriously, the scientific name of this species (the European Mantis) is Mantis religiosa. Here she is sitting on my hand and nibbling on her foot to clean it.

IMG_3726_EU_Mantis_Crop.thumb.jpg.7d6dea49003e901c887893c6fcd4e221.jpg

More foot nibbling.

IMG_3762_EU_Mantis_Crop.thumb.jpg.bf49e23fbafa3413bd24b354954fbc8c.jpg

*strikes dramatic pose*

IMG_3768_EU_Mantis_Lighten.thumb.jpg.a6fb8a1fa5180ba1395143920f27f0dc.jpg

59cb4dfa2128f_IMG_3776_EU_Mantis_Lighten_Crop.thumb.jpg.31be09fbd737f4bd07a5c0a57f92f3f8.jpg

I enjoy the high contrast between light and dark in this last photo. It gives sort of a chiaroscuro effect.

IMG_3782_EU_Mantis_Crop.thumb.jpg.27274f1fd71be78b1293796eb9eaceb3.jpg

29 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Image result for pledge allegiance to the flag joke

*sigh there was this other comic I read about a joke conspiracy that the flag controls the US and that's why they pledge allegiance to it. But I can't find it... 

Just tossing this out there, but the actual line is "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and the country for which it stands." 

Not that I feel it makes it any better. I just like my flag jokes to be well informed, lol. 

19 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

Just tossing this out there, but the actual line is "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and the country for which it stands." 

Not that I feel it makes it any better. I just like my flag jokes to be well informed, lol. 

Just tossing this out there, but the actual line is "Teacher, what is the point of reciting the pledge of allegiance."

Not that I feel it makes it any better. I just like my flag jokes to be well comprehended, lol.

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

21 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Just tossing this out there, but the actual line is "Teacher, what is the point of reciting the pledge of allegiance."

Not that I feel it makes it any better. I just like my flag jokes to be well comprehended, lol.

Well done, sir. Well done. Lol, I got nothing but an upvote for you. 

I found a cool moth today! After taking photos and doing a little research on Google, I figured out that it's a Painted Tiger Moth.

(5 photos)

Spoiler

IMG_3787_Painted_Tiger_Crop.thumb.jpg.a3da0c637132138a9d482f682dddc8e2.jpg

IMG_3797_Painted_Tiger_Crop.thumb.jpg.f5a80cb9bd308887d41fa4f5b7d3bef9.jpg

Unfortunately, the poor critter was already dead when I found it, but it must have only died, like, last night, because its body was in really good shape.

59cf1bcee0150_IMG_3808_Painted_Tiger_Darken_Crop.thumb.jpg.059ed6574bfa235004bbf8d902115cbf.jpg

59cf1bd887d31_IMG_3812_Painted_Tiger_Crop_Darken.thumb.jpg.9fd6944463a45ca37e8ae45d69b8a9aa.jpg

IMG_3815_Painted_Tiger_Crop.thumb.jpg.6a542dbce94e93f953be349a4c0e5e06.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to get a picture that showed it, but the topside of the moth's body under its wings was bright red.

I stole this from my brother's phone. Afaik, he found it online and it was written by someone else. Spoilered for length

Spoiler

Death was the oldest. Since time immemorial, people have died and they have come to him. Mankind fights an endless war against him. Though they may have succeeded in stifling his actions, Death is patient. He knows that in the end, all things come to him.

Pestilence was Death's brother. He brought plague upon the lands. Staining the Earth black with disease and blight. His method of bringing people to his brother was slow and excruciating. However, mankind have begun to stave him off. Disease was beaten by technology and he increasingly faded into irrelevance.

Famine was as old as Death and pre-dated the birth of mankind. He worked with Pestilence to target the source of man's strength, his food and fuel. He destroyed crop and rotted grain. Starvation and a slow path to Death awaited those afflicted by him. However, man stood strong against him. They developed methods to deflect his hand so that he may no longer afflict the source of man's strenth. Thus, Famine, like Pestilence, faded into irrelevance.

War was the youngest. He was smart and cunning. He channeled man's strength against themselves. Conflict and strive became the grounds for which man displayed his strength. Efficient in work, he brought many to Death. However after his most brilliant work, where War embroiled the world twice over, mankind caught on to his cunning. Man made laws and grew to depend on each other. Though they may never fully quell War's influence, they made sure he would never afflict the world so spectacularly ever again.

Death was unhappy. Mankind had defeated his brothers and impeded his work. In his impatience and anger, he consulted his 4th brother, Kyle.

Kyle was a strange fellow amongst the  brothers. He was quiet, lazy and seemed to care little for Death's work. He decided that his own birthname was too tedious to pronounce and opted for an easier name. Gaelic in origin, "Kyle" meant "narrow" a strange name for a Horseman to take on.

"Help me Kyle. My brothers are defeated. Mankind may one day defeat me as well. Please help out just this once." Kyle said nothing and merely nodded. He then disappeared off to perform his work.

As Death sat around his bedridden brothers, a miracle occurred. Pestilence finger twitched and his hands grew fleshy. Disease once again spread around the world. No longer as powerful as he once was, but alive again.

Famine  groaned and began to sit upright. Once again, crops wilted and people starved. Famine however, felt something amiss, some of his work was ... voluntary. Mankind began to starve itself.

War rose from his bed with new found strength. The gears of conflict shook off their rust and began to turn once again. Innocents die in battle again, widows gained and fathers lost. Misguided soldiers die under authority's whims.

"You revived our brothers Kyle. How did you do it?" asked Death, impressed with Kyle's work.

"I am Kyle, "narrow," the fourth of the Horsemen. Born with humanity but before War. My influence appeared when the first man decided that he did not need his tribe to survive. Narrow are the minds of humans.

Humans defeated disease with miracle cures. Now some fear that those cures are harmful to them. Let them face Pestilence's wrath.

Humans defeated Famine through piling resources and modifying crop. Now they hoard but never give. They let their brethren starve. Now they feel that excess of food is sin. They willing starve themselves of their source of strength to meet society's whims. Let them suffer by Famine's hand.

Humans defeated War through tolerance, diplomacy and restraint. Now they turn intolerant and unleash violence against those not of their own group. They justify their "Holy Wars" with the blood of innocents. Violence begets violence, vengeance for innocent blood spilled is carried out by the sword. Let them spiral down to oblivion, guided by War.

Narrow are the minds of humans. They do not think before they act. They believe what they want to believe and ignore what they don't.

I am Ignorance. Until mankind is capable of defeating me, they can never truly destroy the Horsemen."

4 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

I stole this from my brother's phone. Afaik, he found it online and it was written by someone else. Spoilered for length

That was good.

Although I prefer other, more benevolent, interpretations of Death; not the one that takes lifes but the one that is passing of the life. The Death of Discworld; Bernadette from Death Vigil; finally Death of the Endless.

2 hours ago, Overstorm said:

That was good.

Although I prefer other, more benevolent, interpretations of Death; not the one that takes lifes but the one that is passing of the life. The Death of Discworld; Bernadette from Death Vigil; finally Death of the Endless.

While I'm unfamiliar with those specific examples, I agree. However, that story is based on the four horsemen of the apocalypse, so in context it makes sense for Death to be interpreted as malignant.

12 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

My younger  brother: "If you think about it, they never say the name of Zim's species in Invader Zim."

Everybody else in our house: "The Irkens."

:huh: