Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

I started randomly writing about mages revealing themselves to the world by stopping a revolution in its track and taking the power for themselves :mellow:

"We raised our hands to the sky and summoned fire, and wind, and lightning, and hailstorm. And just how it began - the revolution ended; and we killed it. With fire, and wind, and lightning, and hail."

I think it's a short story, and kind of told from the perspective of somebody recalling these events, trying to explain why they did the things they did. How he thinks it was the best they could have done and that stuff.
I'm trying to nail that kind of biblical tone with repetitions and style choices ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I started randomly writing about mages revealing themselves to the world by stopping a revolution in its track and taking the power for themselves :mellow:

"We raised our hands to the sky and summoned fire, and wind, and lightning, and hailstorm. And just how it began - the revolution ended; and we killed it. With fire, and wind, and lightning, and hail."

I think it's a short story, and kind of told from the perspective of somebody recalling these events, trying to explain why they did the things they did. How he thinks it was the best they could have done and that stuff.
I'm trying to nail that kind of biblical tone with repetitions and style choices ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oooh good luck! Biblical poetry also uses a lot of comparisons, and chiastic sentence structure which doesnt work as well in English but it might give a bit of an authentic feel. 

For no good reason I am suddenly highly amused by the mental image of Smaug singing the opening of "Part of your world" from the Little Mermaid.

(In a deep dragony voice..)

Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the drag-on who has everything?

Look at this trove, treasures untold.
How many wonders can one city hold.
Looking around here you'd think: "Sure, Smaug's got everything"

I've got gold bars and mithril a plenty.
I've got rubies and diamonds galore.
You want golden statues? I've got twenty.
But who cares? No big deal. I want MORE.

2 hours ago, Delightful said:

Oooh good luck! Biblical poetry also uses a lot of comparisons, and chiastic sentence structure which doesnt work as well in English but it might give a bit of an authentic feel. 

In a recent development, the idea changed. The opening is all stylized and stuff but that's just the man being dramatic and theatrical; the whole thing would an interview (titled something like 'Blue Flame.The last confession') between the reporter who was born well after the mages took the power and one of the last living mages who did the coup who is like ninety.

Although I feel like I need to read such book first to get the grasp of how interview like that goes and flows.

15 minutes ago, Calderis said:

@Oversleep have you read the book World War Z? If you haven't, please don't judge it by the movie. 

It's structured as a collection of interviews with survivors of the events.

It's not a single interview telling the whole story, but I thought maybe you would find it helpful. 

World War Z the book is AMAZING, I loved it. It's very different from the movie. I wish there was more.

Just now, Mestiv said:

World War Z the book is AMAZING, I loved it. It's very different from the movie. I wish there was more.

I did to. The structure of the book is pretty unique, and when I heard they were making a movie... I knew it wouldn't be anything like it. 

I would have gladly read more. Seeing the way the events impact different cultures and the accounts on both the level of nations and individuals... It was a Blending of different narratives into a overarching story that I don't think can really be described properly. 

It's just great. 

5 hours ago, Claincy said:

For no good reason I am suddenly highly amused by the mental image of Smaug singing the opening of "Part of your world" from the Little Mermaid.

(In a deep dragony voice..)

Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the drag-on who has everything?

Look at this trove, treasures untold.
How many wonders can one city hold.
Looking around here you'd think: "Sure, Smaug's got everything"

I've got gold bars and mithril a plenty.
I've got rubies and diamonds galore.
You want golden statues? I've got twenty.
But who cares? No big deal. I want MORE.

Imagine Smaug singing this 

So. I've been transferred!

Instead of working on the donation dock, I know work in Large As-Is/Sales Yard. Basically, if you wanna buy some furniture or something too dirty or otherwise unkempt to be kept in the store proper, you just might interact with me.

Edited by Slowswift

38 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Hahaha, what a fine joke!

Ha...ha...

You're joking, right?

Right?

Nope. Give me a break, I had a busy year. Too many costumes to make, and amigurumi to make for convention Guests of Honor! Not to mention actually needing to read some of said GoHs books so that I had a halfway decent idea of what they were about.

WoR was rather a lot of book. I needed a solid block of time to dig through it.

1 hour ago, Kaymyth said:

Nope. Give me a break, I had a busy year. Too many costumes to make, and amigurumi to make for convention Guests of Honor! Not to mention actually needing to read some of said GoHs books so that I had a halfway decent idea of what they were about.

WoR was rather a lot of book. I needed a solid block of time to dig through it.

*gasp* Sacrilege! WoR came out 3 years ago!