Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

26 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Guys.

GUYS.

JordanCon was amazing.

And next year is the 10th anniversary! Brandon will be back! I will be on panels!

afdklsjaghkdlksa;

Yay!

I might try to come next year :ph34r: Where is it? Atlanta, right?

Edited by bleeder

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

Yay!

I might try to come next year :ph34r: Where is it? Atlanta, right?

Yes, it's in Atlanta. The convention directors are all local to there; it grew out of the WoT track at Dragon*Con into its own thing.

42 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Oh man. I'd kill to go to that, but I'll probably be on a mission.

aww

12 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

I'm going to try my best. It's only a two-something hour drive from my house, so why not? JordanCon!

However, when will it be exactly? It might not work out in the schedule...

April 20-22, 2018

30 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Yes, it's in Atlanta. The convention directors are all local to there; it grew out of the WoT track at Dragon*Con into its own thing.

aww

April 20-22, 2018

I will definitely try to go.

I could cosplay as Renarin :ph34r: Or Elend :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

Hm... How to Train Your Dragon? :D Zootopia? Frozen?

Give us a hint!

There was water in this movie :P

But seriously, Moana exceeded my expectations. Both as a story and animation. I regret I haven't seen it in cinema in 3D.

11 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

There was water in this movie :P

Sindbad? Atlantis (seriously, I really like Atlantis)? The Little Mermaid?

13 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

I regret I haven't seen it in cinema in 3D.

Animations are in 3D now? :blink:

1 hour ago, A Budgie said:

Oooooh I wish I could go to JordonCon. But hey, Australia.
@Oversleep didn't you see the comment below? I can't see the video right now (youtube is blocked at school) but I'm assuming @Mestiv means he watched Moana, if I'm reading the comment right.

I believe he's just messing with me :P

@Oversleep Atlantis is IMO the most underrated Disney movie,  I think I have watched it like 10 times. 

@Darkness Ascendant @bleeder @Delightfully Smoak @The Honor Spren @Slowswift

I should probably move this to someplace more permanent soon….since it feels like poor form to just keep summoning y'all. :P 

Spoiler

Harry wasn't sure what to expect when he knocked on Dumbledore's office door. The Headmaster's voice granting him entry, of course; but beyond that, he had no expectations. The note he'd received had been cryptic, apparently scribbled in haste, beckoning him to the office for a lesson barely fifteen minutes before it was scheduled to begin. He was still a bit winded from the hurried climb, still a tad resentful toward whoever had decided the Hogwarts Headmaster needed to have all those stairs guarding his office. 

He opened the door and let it frame the scene: Dumbledore, staring into the Pensieve with a deep frown, holding another silvery memory at the tip of his wand. The Headmaster looked up briefly, saw Harry, and dropped the memory into a small glass bottle, which he slipped into his pocket. "Harry. Come here, quickly." 

"What is it, Professor?" Harry closed the distance quickly and followed Dumbledore's gaze into the silver bowl, saw Voldemort approaching this same office, sitting down for a planned conversation as snowflakes drifted down behind the window. "Is that—? 

"The memory I shared with you last night, yes. It is." 

Now Harry shared the Headmaster's frown. "But—I saw this one already." A thought occurred to him. "Did someone change it, like Slughorn did his?" 

"No, not like Slughorn." A faint smile appeared on his lips, vanished just as quickly. "This alteration, this….tampering, was far more pervasive than that clumsy attempt. Come. You'll see." 

They dove into the Pensieve, through swirling silver and into a memory Harry thought he knew: Fawkes on his perch, Dumbledore behind his desk, snowflakes drifting down. Tom Riddle—more Voldemort than Tom now—knocked and entered and took a seat. They greeted one another with a semblance of pleasantness, coexisted with the tension following Dumbledore's refusal to use Tom's preferred name, and sipped wine. Their conversation progressed precisely as Harry remembered. Until: 

"Yes," Dumbledore said after a long look at his erstwhile student, "I certainly do know that you have seen and done much since leaving us. Rumors of your doings have reached your old school, Tom. I should be sorry to believe half of them." 

"Are they rumors to you? Are they truly?" 

Harry felt a cold stab of alarm. He didn't remember Tom saying that. 

"I…am afraid I don't know what you mean," Dumbledore said slowly. 

Tom tilted his head. "Oh, don't play the fool, Dumbledore. I know that was you." 

"Know….Tom, you will need to explain yourself. I honestly have no idea what you mean." 

Those eyes narrowed; Harry thought they seemed to redden as their owner studied Dumbledore, searching for any hint of falsehood. Whether or not it was truly present, Tom seemed to settle in with his assumption that the Headmaster was guilty and hid it well. A long moment of silence passed. 

"Why have you come here, Tom?" Dumbledore asked at last. "Let us speak openly." 

From there, the conversation continued more or less as Harry remembered; he listened carefully despite the alarm ringing in his head. It's been changed. Someone changed this. Someone good enough to leave no trace. For there was no sign the memory had been altered in any way, no muting or laughably out-of-place voice booming over top of the actual sound. The new was perfectly integrated with the old. 

The memory ended, and Harry stood on the carpet regarding Dumbledore for a moment. He had removed the other memory from his pocket, but held it in his hand, staring back into the Pensieve. 

"Professor?" 

"Hmm?" 

"Is that…the memory in your hand. Is that the—the way it ought to be? The way you remember it?" 

Dumbledore gave a mirthless smile. "That is quite the choice of words." 

"What do you mean?" 

Dumbledore was quiet a moment longer, still watching the memory play itself out from a distance. "I remember both, Harry," he said softly. 

"Both?" 

"Yes. The conversation I shared with you before, and the one you just witnessed. They're both in my head. Two versions of the same event, two retellings of the same story, one with an infuriatingly cryptic detail." 

"You don't know what Voldemort meant by that—'I know it was you'?" 

"I'm afraid not, Harry. I've considered the matter a dozen times, and I still don't know." 

The fear stabbed him again, cold and sharp and quick, twisting in his gut and sending icy shafts all through his body. Harry had always known, somewhere in his mind, that Dumbledore was not omniscient. That his memory, his mind, his knowledge, could be as fallible and inaccurate as anyone's. But to have it fail on this, on a memory he himself carried—a memory that had clearly been altered with the original left in place—this somehow felt worse than he'd thought it might. 

"So," Harry said after the silence stretched past comfort and then some, "what now?" 

Harry hadn't expected a plan. Not quite. But Dumbledore's words were the opposite of what he'd hoped for. 

"I don't know." 

6 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

@Darkness Ascendant @bleeder @Delightfully Smoak @The Honor Spren @Slowswift

I should probably move this to someplace more permanent soon….since it feels like poor form to just keep summoning y'all. :P 

Hide contents

Harry wasn't sure what to expect when he knocked on Dumbledore's office door. The Headmaster's voice granting him entry, of course; but beyond that, he had no expectations. The note he'd received had been cryptic, apparently scribbled in haste, beckoning him to the office for a lesson barely fifteen minutes before it was scheduled to begin. He was still a bit winded from the hurried climb, still a tad resentful toward whoever had decided the Hogwarts Headmaster needed to have all those stairs guarding his office. 

He opened the door and let it frame the scene: Dumbledore, staring into the Pensieve with a deep frown, holding another silvery memory at the tip of his wand. The Headmaster looked up briefly, saw Harry, and dropped the memory into a small glass bottle, which he slipped into his pocket. "Harry. Come here, quickly." 

"What is it, Professor?" Harry closed the distance quickly and followed Dumbledore's gaze into the silver bowl, saw Voldemort approaching this same office, sitting down for a planned conversation as snowflakes drifted down behind the window. "Is that—? 

"The memory I shared with you last night, yes. It is." 

Now Harry shared the Headmaster's frown. "But—I saw this one already." A thought occurred to him. "Did someone change it, like Slughorn did his?" 

"No, not like Slughorn." A faint smile appeared on his lips, vanished just as quickly. "This alteration, this….tampering, was far more pervasive than that clumsy attempt. Come. You'll see." 

They dove into the Pensieve, through swirling silver and into a memory Harry thought he knew: Fawkes on his perch, Dumbledore behind his desk, snowflakes drifting down. Tom Riddle—more Voldemort than Tom now—knocked and entered and took a seat. They greeted one another with a semblance of pleasantness, coexisted with the tension following Dumbledore's refusal to use Tom's preferred name, and sipped wine. Their conversation progressed precisely as Harry remembered. Until: 

"Yes," Dumbledore said after a long look at his erstwhile student, "I certainly do know that you have seen and done much since leaving us. Rumors of your doings have reached your old school, Tom. I should be sorry to believe half of them." 

"Are they rumors to you? Are they truly?" 

Harry felt a cold stab of alarm. He didn't remember Tom saying that. 

"I…am afraid I don't know what you mean," Dumbledore said slowly. 

Tom tilted his head. "Oh, don't play the fool, Dumbledore. I know that was you." 

"Know….Tom, you will need to explain yourself. I honestly have no idea what you mean." 

Those eyes narrowed; Harry thought they seemed to redden as their owner studied Dumbledore, searching for any hint of falsehood. Whether or not it was truly present, Tom seemed to settle in with his assumption that the Headmaster was guilty and hid it well. A long moment of silence passed. 

"Why have you come here, Tom?" Dumbledore asked at last. "Let us speak openly." 

From there, the conversation continued more or less as Harry remembered; he listened carefully despite the alarm ringing in his head. It's been changed. Someone changed this. Someone good enough to leave no trace. For there was no sign the memory had been altered in any way, no muting or laughably out-of-place voice booming over top of the actual sound. The new was perfectly integrated with the old. 

The memory ended, and Harry stood on the carpet regarding Dumbledore for a moment. He had removed the other memory from his pocket, but held it in his hand, staring back into the Pensieve. 

"Professor?" 

"Hmm?" 

"Is that…the memory in your hand. Is that the—the way it ought to be? The way you remember it?" 

Dumbledore gave a mirthless smile. "That is quite the choice of words." 

"What do you mean?" 

Dumbledore was quiet a moment longer, still watching the memory play itself out from a distance. "I remember both, Harry," he said softly. 

"Both?" 

"Yes. The conversation I shared with you before, and the one you just witnessed. They're both in my head. Two versions of the same event, two retellings of the same story, one with an infuriatingly cryptic detail." 

"You don't know what Voldemort meant by that—'I know it was you'?" 

"I'm afraid not, Harry. I've considered the matter a dozen times, and I still don't know." 

The fear stabbed him again, cold and sharp and quick, twisting in his gut and sending icy shafts all through his body. Harry had always known, somewhere in his mind, that Dumbledore was not omniscient. That his memory, his mind, his knowledge, could be as fallible and inaccurate as anyone's. But to have it fail on this, on a memory he himself carried—a memory that had clearly been altered with the original left in place—this somehow felt worse than he'd thought it might. 

"So," Harry said after the silence stretched past comfort and then some, "what now?" 

Harry hadn't expected a plan. Not quite. But Dumbledore's words were the opposite of what he'd hoped for. 

"I don't know." 

It's been a while, but...

QUOTAAAA!!! *shakes fist*

Seriously. This one seriously ups the stakes. I need moar.

Edited by Slowswift

21 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

I'm hosting a Cards Against the Cosmere game in about an hour.

Game link: http://pyx-2.pretendyoure.xyz/zy/game.jsp#game=5

Password: 17Shard

I'd join again, but I think I'm about to fall aslee…..askddhgj;aoisua;otneaklj

Oh, whoops.  Anyways, another time.  Do you (or anyone else on the Shard) play Evil Apples, though? It's an iOS and I think Android game also based around CAH.

5 hours ago, A Budgie said:

@Oversleep didn't you see the comment below? I can't see the video right now (youtube is blocked at school) but I'm assuming @Mestiv means he watched Moana, if I'm reading the comment right.

4 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I believe he's just messing with me :P

Yeah, I'm just being silly :P

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I'd join again, but I think I'm about to fall aslee…..askddhgj;aoisua;otneaklj

Oh, whoops.  Anyways, another time.  Do you (or anyone else on the Shard) play Evil Apples, though? It's an iOS and I think Android game also based around CAH.

I have not heard of Evil Apples. Do tell!

On 17/03/2017 at 9:58 AM, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

I became a vegetarian last night! Well technically peskatarian, but no more meat for me!

Pescatarian here too! Though mainly veggo!

@Kaymyth I'm currently hunting down all the Koroks :'(

Edited by AnanasSpren