Pondering State of Sanderson 2016

Hello all just wanted to ask and see if anyone knows what time State of Sanderson 2016 will be put up onto the Brandon Sanderson's website. I was also going to ask what upcoming book/series everyone wants to know most about in SoS 2016. My most anticipated book to find out about is split between book 4 of the Stormlight Archive and the Apocalypse Guard.

Hopefully this thread will build up hype for Sos 2016. (or Sauce 2016 if you so desire.)

I'm personally hoping for some update on the "Dark One" thing, if it's still happenning, as the premise as outlined in the last Sauce was pretty interesting; also, Secret History 2 announcement would make my day. Otherwise, though, I'm curious about the Apocalypse Guard. I don't think we'll learn much about stuff like SA4 or W&W4, they're too spoilerrific.

While Brandon was writing the SotS 2016, he got too into it, and secretly wrote SotS 2017 as well! #JustSandersonThings

The three books he's said he's planning on writing between SA3 and SA4 are Wax & Wayne 4, Rithmatist 2, and Apocalypse Guard 1. Of those three, the only one I care about is W&W, since it's cosmere. I really hope Brandon doesn't push back the Elantris and Warbreaker sequels any farther. (Once upon a time, we were supposed to have gotten Elantris 2 in 2015, and be getting Elantris 3 after SA3.) He said back when he wrote Mistborn that he wanted to show fans he was able to finish a series. Unfortunately, the only series he's finished aside from Mistborn is Reckoners, and both Mistborn and Reckoners have sequel series' going. This might just be me personally, but I don't want to see Dark One or Aether of Night or Soulburner or anything like that until Brandon has actually completed several of his outstanding series, like Alcatraz (which he said in has last SotS was finished, but he was actually lying to us), Rithmatist, and of course Elantris (since he needs to do behind-the-scenes bits for Warbreaker 2).

Maybe I'm a bit of a spoilsport, but I don't want to see any new projects slotted in before Stormlight 5. Stuff has been creeping backwards year after year (the 2-year gap between SA books stretching to 3 years is understandable, but I'm referring to how the expansion of the W&W era pushed other cosmere books back), and if Brandon is going to outline his 5-year to 10-year plans, it'd be worthwhile to not change it on a year-to-year basis.

2 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Maybe I'm a bit of a spoilsport, but I don't want to see any new projects slotted in before Stormlight 5.

Agreed. I have multiple friends who don't like reading things until a series is done, which means I can't get them to read anything Cosmere besides Mistborn era 1. I'm really hoping to see Stormlight 5, W&W, and Elantris finished before he starts a NEW series. That gives me at least two new (maybe 3, counting SA arc 1) cosmere series to share.

I'd be okay if he threw Nighblood in sooner, so long as it's just a sequel and not book 2 of another series. Considering he's continued saying that he has no plan for when he'll do Nightblood (last I saw), I doubt it's going to happen.

Due to how much I love the State of the Sanderson, Brandon's birthday is the only birthday I know, outside my own family.

It's going to be a long wait for Oathbringer, but I'm excited for any mini-projects to tide us over in the first half of 2017. In last year's SotS, he said 2017 would see Stormlight 3, Rithmatist 2, and nothing else major. (http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2015/).

4 hours ago, Rasarr said:

I'm personally hoping for some update on the "Dark One" thing, if it's still happenning, as the premise as outlined in the last Sauce was pretty interesting; also, Secret History 2 announcement would make my day. Otherwise, though, I'm curious about the Apocalypse Guard. I don't think we'll learn much about stuff like SA4 or W&W4, they're too spoilerrific.

Hmmm, thought I saw something about the Dark One books being set during the "future" of the Cosmere during the space age of Scadrial. (Can't wait for the next years to pass by!) What would you say is your favorite non- cosmere story. I only just finished the Reckoners series and it was so "epic", hope it turns into something similar to the cosmere...

4 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

While Brandon was writing the SotS 2016, he got too into it, and secretly wrote SotS 2017 as well! #JustSandersonThings

The three books he's said he's planning on writing between SA3 and SA4 are Wax & Wayne 4, Rithmatist 2, and Apocalypse Guard 1. Of those three, the only one I care about is W&W, since it's cosmere. I really hope Brandon doesn't push back the Elantris and Warbreaker sequels any farther. (Once upon a time, we were supposed to have gotten Elantris 2 in 2015, and be getting Elantris 3 after SA3.) He said back when he wrote Mistborn that he wanted to show fans he was able to finish a series. Unfortunately, the only series he's finished aside from Mistborn is Reckoners, and both Mistborn and Reckoners have sequel series' going. This might just be me personally, but I don't want to see Dark One or Aether of Night or Soulburner or anything like that until Brandon has actually completed several of his outstanding series, like Alcatraz (which he said in has last SotS was finished, but he was actually lying to us), Rithmatist, and of course Elantris (since he needs to do behind-the-scenes bits for Warbreaker 2).

Maybe I'm a bit of a spoilsport, but I don't want to see any new projects slotted in before Stormlight 5. Stuff has been creeping backwards year after year (the 2-year gap between SA books stretching to 3 years is understandable, but I'm referring to how the expansion of the W&W era pushed other cosmere books back), and if Brandon is going to outline his 5-year to 10-year plans, it'd be worthwhile to not change it on a year-to-year basis.

Wow, that's some incredible foresight he's got! 

What is your opinion on the Rithmatist, I haven't read it yet?

I agree when it comes to delays, but this stretch wasn't as bad as the stretch between SA1 and SA2, so I think he'll continue to close the gap between each Stormlight Archive book.

Maybe I'm a bit of a spoilsport, but I don't want to see any new projects slotted in before Stormlight 5.

I'm all for the advancement of the Stormlight Archive (it's incredible), but I've been waiting a long time for an Elantris sequel!  Considering the scope of his Stormlight Archive books (which involve significant planning and outlining and revision for story consistency), Elantris was essentially three characters POV from start to finish.  No flashbacks.  No interludes.  Just a story with multiple perspectives.  I think it would be very reasonable for this to fit into the mix in 2017/2018 along with The Lost Metal.

1 hour ago, Ward said:

Due to how much I love the State of the Sanderson, Brandon's birthday is the only birthday I know, outside my own family.

It's going to be a long wait for Oathbringer, but I'm excited for any mini-projects to tide us over in the first half of 2017. In last year's SotS, he said 2017 would see Stormlight 3, Rithmatist 2, and nothing else major. (http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2015/).

Haha, that's pretty much the same for me...

Hope makes more novellas though, so we can have Arcanum Unbounded book 2...

1 minute ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

I'm all for the advancement of the Stormlight Archive (it's incredible), but I've been waiting a long time for an Elantris sequel!  Considering the scope of his Stormlight Archive books (which involve significant planning and outlining and revision for story consistency), Elantris was essentially three characters POV from start to finish.  No flashbacks.  No interludes.  Just a story with multiple perspectives.  I think it would be very reasonable for this to fit into the mix in 2017/2018 along with The Lost Metal.

Elantris was a full novel, so I imagine any sequel will also be one. Which means it is unlikely to share a publication year with another novel, even if The Lost Metal will likely end up being a medium-length one. I imagine Elantris 2 will come out in a year when we are getting a YA novel.

8 minutes ago, The Quiet One said:

Hmmm, thought I saw something about the Dark One books being set during the "future" of the Cosmere during the space age of Scadrial. (Can't wait for the next years to pass by!)

You're probably thinking of Adamant, a series of sci-fi novellas that he's working on. He's written the first one (or most of it), but not for the cosmere; he's talked about trying to slide it in, tweak the story and some of the lines to take out earth references.

6 minutes ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Stormlight is the big project, and when he's going to fit in another novel between Stormlight books, I hope he goes back to finishing series he already has going (like Wax & Wayne and Elantris), rather than jump into something new (like Dark One or Aether of Night). Not to exclude side projects to focus more on Stormlight (which he's said probably wouldn't save him any time, since he'd slow down without space to recharge), but to carry some of these side projects to completion.

9 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I hope he goes back to finishing series he already has going (like Wax & Wayne and Elantris)

Technically, both Elantris and Warbreaker can - and for now, should - be considered standalones. Even if Brandon never gets around to writing their sequels, they are compete stories. Warbreaker is a little weird because of whole worldhopping thing, but its own story is very much a finished thing (as opposed to Wax & Wayne, where each book suggests a sequel).

1 hour ago, Argent said:

Technically, both Elantris and Warbreaker can - and for now, should - be considered standalones. Even if Brandon never gets around to writing their sequels, they are compete stories. Warbreaker is a little weird because of whole worldhopping thing, but its own story is very much a finished thing (as opposed to Wax & Wayne, where each book suggests a sequel).

A very good point, which has undoubtedly influenced why Brandon has let them sit for this long, since it doesn't detract from the experience of the book. But nonetheless, since finishing Wheel of Time in 2013, only one of the cosmere books he's published (Words of Radiance, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning, Arcanum Unbounded) was in the 'original' 36-book plan. If Brandon continues to add new cosmere books to the outline at this rate, that will have a big delaying effect on the big picture of Brandon's writing plans. Elantris sequels need to be done before Nightblood and Modern Mistborn, Modern Mistborn might still need to be done before Stormlight 6-10, Stormlight needs to be finished before Dragonsteel, Dragonsteel needs to be done before SciFi Mistborn... The cosmere Gantt chart has quite the potential for bottlenecks, and the Elantris sequels look to me like that's where it'll happen. (And, yes, I am actively working on putting together a cosmere publication Gantt chart based on Brandon's historical writing speed and his stated prerequisites, but I'll need another State of the Sanderson or three that have good month-by-month data, so I'm not confident at all in my dates.)

4 hours ago, The Quiet One said:

Hmmm, thought I saw something about the Dark One books being set during the "future" of the Cosmere during the space age of Scadrial. (Can't wait for the next years to pass by!) What would you say is your favorite non- cosmere story. I only just finished the Reckoners series and it was so "epic", hope it turns into something similar to the cosmere...

My favourite would be Legion, both parts. It's quite different from the usual Brandon fare, but also very fun with all the bizarre advisors of Stephen's. Unfortunately, Brandon has said that with interest in making a TV show based on them being exactly none, he won't write any more Legion stories, so I have no hope for it appearing in this year's State of Sanderson :(

You're probably thinking of Adamant, a series of sci-fi novellas that he's working on. He's written the first one (or most of it), but not for the cosmere; he's talked about trying to slide it in, tweak the story and some of the lines to take out earth references.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Stormlight is the big project, and when he's going to fit in another novel between Stormlight books, I hope he goes back to finishing series he already has going (like Wax & Wayne and Elantris), rather than jump into something new (like Dark One or Aether of Night). Not to exclude side projects to focus more on Stormlight (which he's said probably wouldn't save him any time, since he'd slow down without space to recharge), but to carry some of these side projects to completion.

No, I thought the Dark One books were set in the mistborn space age, but I think I misread the wiki, which says it will be a modern cosmere story. (Whatever that means.) Also what was your favorite Arcanum Unbounded novella/short story. (I'm assuming you've read it already seeing as you seem a "rabid" Sanderson Fan, lol)

2 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

My favourite would be Legion, both parts. It's quite different from the usual Brandon fare, but also very fun with all the bizarre advisors of Stephen's. Unfortunately, Brandon has said that with interest in making a TV show based on them being exactly none, he won't write any more Legion stories, so I have no hope for it appearing in this year's State of Sanderson :(

I haven't read legion yet, but it looked awesome (as usual), a tv show would be cool. What is your favorite cosmere book, and other non-cosmere book?

Just now, The Quiet One said:

I haven't read legion yet, but it looked awesome (as usual), a tv show would be cool. What is your favorite cosmere book, and other non-cosmere book?

Ah, but the problem with the possible TV show is that Marvel/Fox/FX are now making their own Legion, with their own character whose power is very similar to that of Brandon's Legion, so that's an easy way to get a lawsuit. Otherwise, though... Way of Kings and the Rithmatist.

Just now, Rasarr said:

Ah, but the problem with the possible TV show is that Marvel/Fox/FX are now making their own Legion, with their own character whose power is very similar to that of Brandon's Legion, so that's an easy way to get a lawsuit. Otherwise, though... Way of Kings and the Rithmatist.

What! Your kidding right? Ahh, WoK was awesome haven't read Words of Radiance though, or the Rithmatist. What was your favorite part about the Rithmatist? Also have you read the Arcanum Unbounded, if so what was your favorite story?

16 minutes ago, The Quiet One said:

What! Your kidding right? Ahh, WoK was awesome haven't read Words of Radiance though, or the Rithmatist. What was your favorite part about the Rithmatist? Also have you read the Arcanum Unbounded, if so what was your favorite story?

Yep, turned out that Marvel have thought of the same concept in 1985 :lol: Haven't read AU yet, so I can't tell, but I liked the Rithmatics magic. Super simple, and yets you get super creative.

2 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

Yep, turned out that Marvel have thought of the same concept in 1985 :lol: Haven't read AU yet, so I can't tell, but I liked the Rithmatics magic. Super simple, and yets you get super creative.

Hmm, so who can sue who? Okay sounds good, I saw where the second book is set and got pretty excited. Have you read the reckoners series?

1 hour ago, The Quiet One said:

No, I thought the Dark One books were set in the mistborn space age, but I think I misread the wiki, which says it will be a modern cosmere story. (Whatever that means.) Also what was your favorite Arcanum Unbounded novella/short story. (I'm assuming you've read it already seeing as you seem a "rabid" Sanderson Fan, lol)

Yeah, I go a little overboard sometimes. Sixth of the Dusk has been my favorite novella, and it still is. I view Brandon as a sci-fi writer working in a fantasy world, so I was pleased when he did actual sci-fi and was able to explore some common sci-fi themes in there. I've been restricting myself to only reading cosmere, so I haven't read Steelheart or Perfect State or most of his sci-fi. But the free short stories on his website, like Firstborn, have also been great. I'm really looking forward to when Brandon gets into the 'futuristic' cosmere, and maybe we get a short story compilation book like AU is primarily sci-fi.