55 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Even if she manages to escape, the emotional intensifier ability will make it tricky long-term.

Red's liable to get distracted. All she needs is a scary Epic with a specific set of interests. Besides, long term isn't really what we're shooting for. The time frame for these roleplays tend to be a week or so. 

@Drake Marshall - Just so you know, I'm not sure if you had a healing epic in mind or not for helping Taya, but Skinsaver's abilities should be able to help her out, and he's coming to Edmonton.  It would also be a reason for our characters to bump into each other.  

9 hours ago, Comatose said:

@Drake Marshall - Just so you know, I'm not sure if you had a healing epic in mind or not for helping Taya, but Skinsaver's abilities should be able to help her out, and he's coming to Edmonton.  It would also be a reason for our characters to bump into each other.  

Yes, I noticed Skinsaver's abilities. He is possibly the only epic in Edmonton that could cure Taya (although, you are free to have Skinsaver refuse to help her, if you want to; I can write about either scenario). Taya might take issue with Skinsaver killing off a host to cure her (if she knew about it, anyway), but somehow I don't think she would mind at all if Skinsaver held on to the poison with the intention of weaponizing it.

In any case, she's definitely going to have reasons to interact with the Corvallis refugee group a fair bit.

Edited by Drake Marshall

Okay, honest reflection time in the spoiler and that includes criticism of the canon we're working off so don't be afraid to ignore this if that makes you uncomfortable. 

Spoiler

I think my favorite kind of powers we've come up with are the more abstract and open ended ones, due to the ways they interact with character. Scribbler, for example, is really interesting because her power is strong because of the creative ways she applies it. Funtimes's power is so immense it's hard to know where one would start if she were to be a traditional "hero." I don't know if I've ever said this and it might be a kinda controversial statement cuz we're all Sanderfans here, but I like our roleplay better- maybe even a lot better- than the canon Reckoner novels. Playing fast and loose with the layers of corruption means exploring the depths of depravity with characters like Nighthound, the Trifecta, Deathwish, Quitus (spelling?), and... worse (shudder), but it also explores the hope of people who struggle against that darkness.

I honestly feel that the canon world of the Reckonerverse would've been a lot better if it didn't focus directly on a single group of characters, instead splitting across several perspectives. I'd love to see a SA-esc epic (pun absolutely intended) with the world of the Reckoners, focusing on the full spectrum of corruption. I'm not saying we're better than him at writing, as we've definitely got the advantage of working within the previously established framework and I'm obviously not an objective source. 

Anyway, this was supposed to be a quick "hey, open ended and abstract abilities are really cool" but somehow it turned into this? I've probably been reading too much philosophy, lol. 

I loved Oregon with all of my heart but I think I'm loving Edmonton even more. Maybe because I'm in it from the beginning. Of course, the fact it's interactive is another factor in why I like it more than I like canon.

To be honest, I mean, even more honest than I was already being because I'm being pretty honest already, canon Reckoners seems like Sanderson's attempt to write something explicitly YA, instead of just writing something interesting. I've read Brandon Sanderson since before I was even in the technical age range for "YA" and he's always felt real. Okay, I'm kinda complaining here, but what I'm trying to say is that I felt like Reckoners had a lot of potential it didn't really live up to because it tried to focus too much on the superficial elements of superpowers. The variety is also dominated by comic book powers, which I do like, but trying to convey that sort of ability is tricky in books. It's not the ideal format. Books give you the advantage of being in characters heads and Reckoners feels like a comic trying to be a book. 

Oh, I think that's my real issue. Not that he's trying to write a YA book because I love the Rithmatist, but that he wrote a comic as a novel series. The What Happened Ins take comic book powers too, but look at the biggest abilities here! Teleportation is HUGE, which is interesting. We use it so much when it's pretty rare in comics as far as I can tell because it's not very visible and is too powerful. Obliteration has his secondary for a reason. It's big and it's flashy. Perfect for comics. But in written fights, teleporters are great. Their ability to bring characters together in random snippets is unparalleled. Meta abilities as well. We have way more than in canon for a reason. Erasure, temporary or otherwise, is pretty plain. Even with a flashy sign to show when it's on or off, that can even ruin the tension of the fight because it means the enemy and the audience see it. But in writing, it's a lot easier to mark that. 

(TBH, Kokichi's ability is far better suited for a comic book. I think I like that, though, because it's an interesting challenge. Actually, I'm not sure if that's true, because exaggeration is always necessary in comics. Being able to distinguish between their power and normal art would be tricky. So... never mind? Funtimes is probably the character who's ability is best suited to comics, Nighthound's coming in as a close second, with Scribbler definitely up there, but these still aren't standard comic powerful.)

Look at our settings too. The Reckonerverse ones start weird. Perfect for an illustrator who wants to go nuts in detail. But in a novel? The excessive detail in settings for things like SA and Mistborn work well because he has the time to go into detail about each aspect of the setting. In Reckoners, the detail feels like its more of a background than a setting. Ours start pretty plain, in comparison. They're still set in cities, just cities that have been added to. Despite the creativity of these backgrounds, the powers are still closely linked to the comics they're inspired by. Enhanced stats, element control, energy blasts, flight? Really? The fights are things that are interesting, but they're all close to what we've seen before. If it's humans vs supers, then why give weaknesses? Why give humans Epic tech? Make the powers more varied, avoid PIs, and let the fights be truly human won. 

Anyway, that last bit is a bit unnecessary, probably. This whole thing is probably unnecessary, but I'm feeling talkative so I'm going to talk, gosh darnit. 

We're not about the fights, not really. The fights support the characters and the way that characters with the combo of Huge Power and Zero Morals interact. Is the fun in Nighthound the interesting way his powers clash with others? Or is it hating him? (I'm using mostly Oregon examples bc Edmonton is pretty early on fyi.) Loaded question: of course it's hating him because he's the worst. Comics develop characters through fighting because it's so visual. Their styles of combat indicate personality. But we can't see that. 

Everyone's powers are so much more unique here! Yes, every power is technically unique in canon because the aesthetics of the abilities change, but the core bases tend to be more generic. Which is the opposite of how things should work in stories. 

In the end, what I'm really trying to say is I love you guys, I love our story, and I love what we've done with the ideas. And then the entire and then they died list died because anyone reading this deserves a reward for slugging through these ramblings.  
TL;DR: The reckoners novels feel like they were written to be a comic book and I think we did better with the setting because I love you guys and our story so much. 

Unrelated Note: I think we should avoid creating new cities. Oregon simmered out in parts to the slow pace but also too many characters for people to handle. 

Coma, how do you feel about me writing a death scene for Taylor then posting it in outside of canon? (It won't let me ping right now for some reason) I don't know why, I just want to for whatever reason.

Winter, I like your criticism. Not much else to say.

Well put, Winter. I really enjoy how people go out of their way to explore unusual character ideas in this, beyond the standard superhero package with a Calamitous twist. Going somewhere interesting with the foundation of the superhero genre, and the Reckoners canon. That is also one of the reasons I enjoyed Worm. I have high hopes for this RP. And I'm hoping I'll learn to be a better writer from it too.

43 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Coma, how do you feel about me writing a death scene for Taylor then posting it in outside of canon? (It won't let me ping right now for some reason) I don't know why, I just want to for whatever reason.

Winter, I like your criticism. Not much else to say.

If you have some out of canon stuff I’d definitely be down to have it posted.

@winter devotion I like how you set out your points.  Interesting thoughts.  I don’t 100% agree but totally understand where you are coming from and I liked reading it.  

On the point of teleporters and meta powers, I know originally we tried to keep meta powers limited (after we learned they existed because before that we just didn’t use them) and we tried to cut back on teleporters after Book 3 came out, but we already had a lot.  I agree that teleportation and meta powers are fun, but I also think finding creative ways of working within the rules set by the books is part of the fun of these sorts of projects for me, so personally I kind of like limits.

I definitely agree that the RP has managed to take the world in fun new directions not  explored by the books and that is all kinds of fun. 

8 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Scribbler could maybe help her too.

That'd probably be a stretch for her at the moment, both abilities wise and also in giving her a motivation to help. She'd be more likely to interrogate Taya for Fume's location then try to kill him instead.

Trying to pick a nice entry location into the city proper for Scribbler at the moment, anyone interested in a meetup?

@winter devotion great post, I think that Reckoners handled the transition of media pretty well but I definitely agree on all the things that have made this RP great :)

10 minutes ago, Voidus said:

That'd probably be a stretch for her at the moment, both abilities wise and also in giving her a motivation to help. She'd be more likely to interrogate Taya for Fume's location then try to kill him instead.

Trying to pick a nice entry location into the city proper for Scribbler at the moment, anyone interested in a meetup?

@winter devotion great post, I think that Reckoners handled the transition of media pretty well but I definitely agree on all the things that have made this RP great :)

Red's... mess... might be interesting. Kokichi and Liam will probably be a take a while longer to actually reach the city itself, though. 

Just now, winter devotion said:

Red's... mess... might be interesting. Kokichi and Liam will probably be a take a while longer to actually reach the city itself, though. 

Unless Red immediately imprinted on her then she'd probably try to kill her pretty much immediately, likely the same with Kokichi, they're both a bit too obviously Epics :P

Started page 2 of the thread!  My talent kicked in again!

Also, everyone, feel free to kidnap Jacklyn.  If Epoch wants to send someone to stop her, that would be great, as living in northern Sherwood Park would be really boring and her character would definitely go there.  In fact, I kind of designed her character with being taken in mind.  Once she does, if that Epic gets taken down, the Epic who defeated them will probably keep her, and that relationship will intensify over time.  And repeat.  This is why her character is more powerful than she may seem...

How exactly would Red go about running into Quitus?

EDIT: oh and I wrote something for WHOOC too. I was listening to Discord and realized how funny/terrifying it would be for their powers to be enhanced to music. 

Edited by winter devotion

Just finished Epoch's reaction. Unfortunately, Jacklyn's powers may rather be working against her at the moment, although she has a head start on fleeing to another territory.

Also, I updated my post in the characters thread in a few ways.

8 hours ago, winter devotion said:

How exactly would Red go about running into Quitus?

In light of recent events, it is very possible that they will cross paths. Which is slightly concerning.