Happy holidays to all, a special festive edition of A day in the life of:

A day in the life of Mistletoe (Part 1)

My eyes were greeted with suitably seasonal snows as they first opened up on Christmas day. I had of course worked hard all year to bring christmas cheer to everyone in the city but this was my very first Christmas since being granted the ability to spread such joy.

With a burst of enthusiasm I leapt from the featherbed, threw open my wardrobe and spent some minutes deciding on which of my red and white outfits would look best before deciding on a snazzy looking suit and top hat combination I'd had tailor-made last week. Admittedly the tailor wasn't too enthused at first but then he found his drive to help spread good tidings to all. And his neighbors got to help spread some cheer of their own by helping him rebuild his house after our discussion was over, truly that was a joyous day of holiday cheer.

Pulling a long list out from underneath the mattress I set off out the door, ready for what was sure to be my busiest day this year.

Some carollers were really getting into the mood, practically running from house to house as soon as they saw me, though they weren't really in tune and I had to admit even I had never heard of "Run, everybody run, she's coming" before, must have been a new one.

I sent them off some present anyway, they may not have been doing the best job but today was all about making an effort and they were certainly doing that.

A handful of snow raced towards them, its form gradually becoming pointed and metallic as it flew and quickly began emitting a burst of fire from its rear, hurrying all the further to its joyous recipients.

The present spurred them on to even faster action as they rapidly began hammering on doors, screaming for people to let them in.

It seemed that a few of the people dwelling nearby were reluctant to open the door for carollers, I took note of their addresses and added them to the naughty list as a spray of snow flew into the air, my presents having been successfully delivered. I'd have to pay them a visit later.

A wonderful mixture of red and white began falling, dying the whole street in festive colors for those who were too poor to afford decorations, providing it for the whole street might have been going a bit overboard but today was all about the spirit of charity and giving after all.

Holding an umbrella to ward off the falling snow, blood and viscera I walked down the street, humming gently.

I just realized I hear Lyla as talking with the same voice that I hear for Haruhi Suzumiya. That... might be coloring how I write her going forward. :mellow:

On 12/27/2016 at 4:53 AM, Assassin in Burgundy said:

First post ever. Feedback appreciated. 

Edit: It's on the very bottom. Sorry for inconvenience. 

No inconveniance! I suspect your timing might have been a bad thing here; due to holiday season, things haven't been active, and some of the RP's can be slow going sometimes anyway, which might be why the topic hasn't had a response.

(I'm working on a Dalles post, I swear!)

As for your post... I have no experience with Florist, so I'm gonna ignore anything to do with "does this match how he was portrayed before". I'm sorry.

The way you have characterised him is interesting though. My assumption with Florist, from the name, would have been closer to the Poison Ivy, Ra's al Ghul ecoterrorist archetype, the guy who cares more about the natural world than the real one, which doesn't seem to be how your writing him. 

Though the inclusion of the Jungle Book does suggest that it's a character who cares very much about nature. I admit, I found the inclusion of that a little odd, and I still do; but then, pop culture is a part of the Reckoners universe. After all, in David's world, it means Hope. And, actually, it does a good job of describing the Dalles as a whole; the Lawful place, unlike the rest of the States, so putting an emphasis on keeping the law makes sense.

Right now, I'd suggest continuing and getting Florist into interaction with another character, to show the shades of his personality. 

Edited by Quiver

4 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I just realized I hear Lyla as talking with the same voice that I hear for Haruhi Suzumiya. That... might be coloring how I write her going forward. :mellow:

No inconveniance! I suspect your timing might have been a bad thing here; due to holiday season, things haven't been active, and some of the RP's can be slow going sometimes anyway, which might be why the topic hasn't had a response.

(I'm working on a Dalles post, I swear!)

As for your post... I have no experience with Florist, so I'm gonna ignore anything to do with "does this match how he was portrayed before". I'm sorry.

The way you have characterised him is interesting though. My assumption with Florist, from the name, would have been closer to the Poison Ivy, Ra's al Ghul ecoterrorist archetype, the guy who cares more about the natural world than the real one, which doesn't seem to be how your writing him. 

Though the inclusion of the Jungle Book does suggest that it's a character who cares very much about nature. I admit, I found the inclusion of that a little odd, and I still do; but then, pop culture is a part of the Reckoners universe. After all, in David's world, it means Hope. And, actually, it does a good job of describing the Dalles as a whole; the Lawful place, unlike the rest of the States, so putting an emphasis on keeping the law makes sense.

Right now, I'd suggest continuing and getting Florist into interaction with another character, to show the shades of his personality. 

That does change everything, so Shiny was right when she declared cuteness to be god. :mellow:  (kinda. :P )

Oh yeah, sorry @Assassin in Burgundy Quiver is actually pretty much right in his reasoning, at least as far as it goes to me not commenting. :mellow:
Anyway, I'll have to agree with Quiver on the other points as well. Florist never had that much of a personality, so that's not all that much to worry about. I'll be expectant to see more of him.

@Quiver @Edgedancer

From what I understand, Florist is pretty nonviolent as Epics go. For the most part, he wishes things were peaceful so he could tend to his garden, basically the only thing he really cares about. And so if stuff invades/hurts his garden, that's when he goes all Epic and stuff. 

1 hour ago, Cognizantastic said:

OK, are you guys ready to see the best sparking thing ever? 

Of course you are. Well, one of my best friends is into some plotlines in Portland and the Dalles ( @Kobold King and @TwiLyghtSansSparkles, you will be proud to know that she particularly likes Lightwards and Funtimes). She has read all of my posts and the various threads of story that they are part of.

For Christmas, she decided to make them into a book.

Hide contents

IMG_7185.JPGIMG_7186.JPGIMG_7187.JPGIMG_7188.JPGIMG_7189.JPGIMG_7190.JPGIMG_7191.JPG

Every single one of my Portland and Dalles posts are in there. I'm... glowing. :wub:

Anyways. I thought some of you might be interested. :) 

That's one of the coolest presents I've ever seen. :D

2 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

Of course you are. Well, one of my best friends is into some plotlines in Portland and the Dalles ( @Kobold King and @TwiLyghtSansSparkles, you will be proud to know that she particularly likes Lightwards and Funtimes). She has read all of my posts and the various threads of story that they are part of.

Hide contents

IMG_7185.JPGIMG_7186.JPGIMG_7187.JPGIMG_7188.JPGIMG_7189.JPGIMG_7190.JPGIMG_7191.JPG

Every single one of my Portland and Dalles posts are in there. I'm... glowing. :wub:

It's official,  you win Christmas.

15 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

Reveal hidden contents

There is no sequence of words in the English language that can be strung together to give justice to this awesomeness.

Well... maybe "HOLY SPARKING CALAMITY THIS IS AMAZING!!!". But somehow that seems a little lackluster. :D

On 1/4/2017 at 0:55 PM, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

@ShadowLord_Lith and @DreamLord_Erith, could you stick to third person game posts in the future? It just makes things less confusing for readers. :)

I would have said that if I wasn't so dead.

No kidding.

I should explain that. 

Edited by Ookla the Broken

So sorry I've been a bit absent of late, the RP slowing down a lot didn't help but I've also been insanely busy, working 14 hour days and trying to fit in reading, gaming, learning and game-making in as well has been a bit of a nightmare.

Looks like things will be calming down a bit now though so I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things, I'm hoping some of the people who are still on the more active side of posting can help me out with some interactions to keep things going and I was also contemplating playing around with a few Vanilla characters with a bit of a twist.

So my ideas have mostly centered around Vanillas who have been majorly influenced (Mostly negatively) by Epics in major ways. Sometimes supernaturally so, other times as just characters with Epic-wounds.

A few ideas to start with:

Name: 0006
Personality: Logical
Appearance: A young man of unknown age, black, slightly glazed eyes, mid length black hair. Expressionless face, permanently hunched posture.
History: A survivor from the city of *Insert city we haven't already destroyed/used yet*, like Portland the city was engaged in a turf war, one of the major leaders of which was Queen B, a mentalist Epic with the power to turn people into drones for several days. People who were exposed to this power frequently enough steadily had their entire mind re-written, losing most of their memories as a consequence.
While Queen B was eventually killed by another Epic the effects of her powers still linger in some of the drones, 0006 was one of the first drones and is the oldest survivor. His mental state has been almost completely overridden to the point that he has completely forgotten his original name and while he is still capable of emotional thought he is incapable of expressing his emotions through tone or expression.

Name: Henry Lincoln
Personality: Annoyed
Appearance: A tall, middle-aged man with a round face, perpetual stubble and steadily graying hair. His right arm is hidden beneath bandages and a sleeve but is noticeably stunted. Usually seems to be scowling at everything and walks with a limp.
History: Another survivor of *Same city*, Henry was coerced into joining the militia of Parasthesia. While never actually trained in the use of firearms he became reasonably proficient with them until a skirmish with another Epics forces ended when one of the Epics themselves showed up, his arm and a large portion of the left side of his torso were horribly burned by the Epics acid attack and while he managed to survive the ordeal he quickly fled the city with a group of other refugees. He became attached to a young boy with strange mannerisms, and a stranger name on their journey and along with a few others from the group eventually they settled down in (Portland, the Dalles or Corvallis)

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Voidus said:

So sorry I've been a bit absent of late, the RP slowing down a lot didn't help but I've also been insanely busy, working 14 hour days and trying to fit in reading, gaming, learning and game-making in as well has been a bit of a nightmare.

Looks like things will be calming down a bit now though so I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things, I'm hoping some of the people who are still on the more active side of posting can help me out with some interactions to keep things going and I was also contemplating playing around with a few Vanilla characters with a bit of a twist.

So my ideas have mostly centered around Vanillas who have been majorly influenced (Mostly negatively) by Epics in major ways. Sometimes supernaturally so, other times as just characters with Epic-wounds.

A few ideas to start with:

Name: 0006
Personality: Logical
Appearance: A young man of unknown age, black, slightly glazed eyes, mid length black hair. Expressionless face, permanently hunched posture.
History: A survivor from the city of *Insert city we haven't already destroyed/used yet*, like Portland the city was engaged in a turf war, one of the major leaders of which was Queen B, a mentalist Epic with the power to turn people into drones for several days. People who were exposed to this power frequently enough steadily had their entire mind re-written, losing most of their memories as a consequence.
While Queen B was eventually killed by another Epic the effects of her powers still linger in some of the drones, 0006 was one of the first drones and is the oldest survivor. His mental state has been almost completely overridden to the point that he has completely forgotten his original name and while he is still capable of emotional thought he is incapable of expressing his emotions through tone or expression.

Name: Henry Lincoln
Personality: Annoyed
Appearance: A tall, middle-aged man with a round face, perpetual stubble and steadily graying hair. His right arm is hidden beneath bandages and a sleeve but is noticeably stunted. Usually seems to be scowling at everything and walks with a limp.
History: Another survivor of *Same city*, Henry was coerced into joining the militia of Parasthesia. While never actually trained in the use of firearms he became reasonably proficient with them until a skirmish with another Epics forces ended when one of the Epics themselves showed up, his arm and a large portion of the left side of his torso were horribly burned by the Epics acid attack and while he managed to survive the ordeal he quickly fled the city with a group of other refugees. He became attached to a young boy with strange mannerisms, and a stranger name on their journey and along with a few others from the group eventually they settled down in (Portland, the Dalles or Corvallis)

Thoughts?

Wow. I really like them xD Where is Parasthesia? And so Henry was from the same city with Queen B, was he just not droned as much?

Personally, I would love to have them in Corvallis, just so we can get something happening there, but I also don't know for sure that they would fit in well, I haven't really been a part of that for most of the plot. Great to see you back!

6 hours ago, Weirdpersonx said:

Wow. I really like them xD Where is Parasthesia? And so Henry was from the same city with Queen B, was he just not droned as much?

Personally, I would love to have them in Corvallis, just so we can get something happening there, but I also don't know for sure that they would fit in well, I haven't really been a part of that for most of the plot. Great to see you back!

Same city but a different faction so he wasn't droned at all.

3 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

@Voidus Yikes, that's quite a bit you're dealing with. I'm happy to help of course. :ph34r:

Those two also seem interesting. So for clarification, is 0006 the boy from Henry's description?

He is indeed.

20 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

Here comes the really important question, Voidus. Do you have an Epic with pug meme powers? :ph34r:

Of course I do.
The really, really important question is: How many? :P

That I could find:
Shatterthought: A powerful, albeit limited mental illusionist Epic. Can cause people to see everyone around them as adorable pugs, this inspires an instinctive protective instinct, making combat almost impossible, though whether this effect is yet another of Shatterthoughts powers or just an effect of seeing pugs is unknown.

Memetic: Can caption reality, leaving mental illusions on objects that effect everyone who sees that object, regardless of whether memetic himself has used his power on that person.
There was a rumour once that a town in eastern europe was overrun with pugs with motivational messages attached to their faces that has largely been attributed to memetic, along with a case where every bakery was plastered with the words 'the cake is a lie'

CapedCrusader: Shapeshifting Epic, though his shapeshifting abilities are limited to changing into a pug and changing his clothes into a variety of cosplay-themed outfits. Is often seen jumping the rooftops dressed as BatPug.

3 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Of course I do.
The really, really important question is: How many? :P

Hide contents

That I could find:
Shatterthought: A powerful, albeit limited mental illusionist Epic. Can cause people to see everyone around them as adorable pugs, this inspires an instinctive protective instinct, making combat almost impossible, though whether this effect is yet another of Shatterthoughts powers or just an effect of seeing pugs is unknown.

Memetic: Can caption reality, leaving mental illusions on objects that effect everyone who sees that object, regardless of whether memetic himself has used his power on that person.
There was a rumour once that a town in eastern europe was overrun with pugs with motivational messages attached to their faces that has largely been attributed to memetic, along with a case where every bakery was plastered with the words 'the cake is a lie'

CapedCrusader: Shapeshifting Epic, though his shapeshifting abilities are limited to changing into a pug and changing his clothes into a variety of cosplay-themed outfits. Is often seen jumping the rooftops dressed as BatPug.

You may not be the hero we deserve but you are the Epic creator we need. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

I had a dream that @Edgedancer posted a video of himself, and he was a screaming German man. When the clip ended, a dog had begun messing something up and Edge yelled "NEIN" and turned off the camera.

Yep, that happened.

But what kind of dog was it? 

This is an important question. :ph34r: