On 6/14/2018 at 1:26 AM, Voidus said:

Magmaw
Primary ability: Manipulate molten rock (Can move, maintain temperature or rapidly cool it)
Secondary ability: Able to transmute his own body or anything inside of it into lava.
Passive ability: Immune to any damage as a result of heat.

MO: Eats copious amounts of food then throws up lava which he keeps handy for offensive or defensive purposes.

Background: TBD

Quick question, what would define inside of his body? Could he transmute piercings? 

EDIT: and by moving it, what do you mean. Could he make it levitate?

Edited by MacThorstenson

7 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Quick question, what would define inside of his body? Could he transmute piercings? 

EDIT: and by moving it, what do you mean. Could he make it levitate?

Yes and yes, 
On my scale he would be a tier 2 telekinetic. Able to control only one specific substance and only with about as much force as the human body can exert, however he can control a wide area of it at a time.

12 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Yes and yes, 
On my scale he would be a tier 2 telekinetic. Able to control only one specific substance and only with about as much force as the human body can exert, however he can control a wide area of it at a time.

You have a scale? Is it in a shareable doc somewhere? Cause that sounds interesting.

I have some specific common abilities completely mapped but broadly speaking:
Tier 1 - Either very, very situational and useful or else a power that is not particularly useful
Examples: The ability to know exactly what time it is, the ability to make purple pens explode
Tier 2 - Not the most powerful of Epics but still noticeably more powerful than any non-Epics. Or a situational but powerful ability. Usually Tier 2 Epics have little issue killing any single person but could easily be overwhelmed by even a small group.
Examples: Invisibility, small firebolts, ability to heal while submerged in water
Tier 3 - Stronger Epics, usually capable of wreaking destruction on the scale of a city block without much difficulty, hard to combat even with a group of people. Some High Epics fit in this category if their PI is able to be circumvented without their weakness.
Examples: Deathpoint, Fortuity's foresight, Far reaching teleportation, Prof's Tensors
Tier 4 - Powerful High Epics, those capable of city wide destruction, PIs at this level generally cannot be overcome without their weakness.
Examples: Mitosis, Conflux's energy generation, Faultline
Tier 5 - Very wide ranging destructive ability, insurmountable PIs, very few Epics fit into this category
Examples: Steelheart's invulnerability, Obliteration's exploding,  Nightwielders sun-blocking is on this scale, Regalia's water manipulation

19 hours ago, Bladestorm said:

I like the idea of using a Canadian city, but they could be too unfamiliar for most people. Toronto’s the big one, and it’s already part of canon.

Full discolsure here, I've never been to America, so it's not like an american or canadian city would make much of a difference to me.

I've also heard of Montreal and Québec. :P

18 hours ago, Voidus said:

Either, when he just cools it down it stays as rock but is then outside of his control (Unless he eats it again) but he can just release the transformation and turn it back into whatever it was before.
(I cannot express how happy it makes me to be able to do this again :D)

Uh, being able to pick either is always neat. Can he transform material once it's in his mouth? Could be useful for breaking down the material of large structures.

Hm, I should still have some power profiles lying around that never made it into the RP. Maybe I should dig them out once I'm off from nightshift again.

Just now, Edgedancer said:

Full discolsure here, I've never been to America, so it's not like an american or canadian city would make much of a difference to me.

I've also heard of Montreal and Québec. :P

Uh, being able to pick either is always neat. Can he transform material once it's in his mouth? Could be useful for breaking down the material of large structures.

Hm, I should still have some power profiles lying around that never made it into the RP. Maybe I should dig them out once I'm off from nightshift again.

Yeah same here, Portland is not a city I knew anything about before the RP. But alternatively we could set it in Europe somewhere, I'd think there would be a lot easier justification for large pockets of Epics there since it's all 1 landmass so it'd be easier to travel.

9 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Yeah same here, Portland is not a city I knew anything about before the RP. But alternatively we could set it in Europe somewhere, I'd think there would be a lot easier justification for large pockets of Epics there since it's all 1 landmass so it'd be easier to travel.

Hey, Europe is a continent I've actually been on. :P

Though at that point, we'd be so distanced that there's little chance of any characters crossing over into the sequel, if we ever want to do that.

12 hours ago, antgrgmn said:

I would prefer to play my already created epic if possible. I barely got to use him at all.

I’m sure we could do just about anything in a new city, including old characters, with a bit of handwavium and fairy dust. The only issue would be trying to use EVERY old character.

Edit: Europe sounds amazing. We could move from city to city, messing with Big Ben one day and the Eiffel Tower the next. 

Edited by Bladestorm

On 6/16/2018 at 5:26 PM, antgrgmn said:

Europe would be cool. It would give a reason for any new epics we introduce.

Agreed.

Chase could probably get there and she’s the kinda person who’d bring a few people she likes with her so anyone who wants to keep their characters can hitch a ride with her. She might be from Corvallis but her mobility is wide enough she’d be able to head to any of the cities before heading to Britain. Red’s the kinda leech who can show up literally everywhere and it’ll make sense because she’s... special that way.

On a semi related note, has anyone been watching/reading My Hero Academia? Red and Himiko Toga would probably get along to a disturbing extent. Like, seriously, it’s kinda hillarious exactly how unintentionally similar but opposite the characters are.

15 hours ago, winter devotion said:

On a semi related note, has anyone been watching/reading My Hero Academia? Red and Himiko Toga would probably get along to a disturbing extent. Like, seriously, it’s kinda hillarious exactly how unintentionally similar but opposite the characters are.

On the bright side, Himiko would actually try and kill Nighthound after getting a crush on him. Making everyone mistake her for a hero.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:52 AM, Bladestorm said:

I like the idea of using a Canadian city, but they could be too unfamiliar for most people. Toronto’s the big one, and it’s already part of canon.

I know I had no knowledge of Corvallis when I started, and did a lot of research on maps and Wikipedia and the general internet to get the details right.  What I was trying to say is I know enough Canadian cities that I could provide people with the information they need to RP there.  I think Canada is nice because it's close enough to Oregon that we can reuse epics (unlike with the problems ID'd with Europe).  We tend to use many smaller cities anyways (aside from Portland) so I don't think initial unfamiliarity with a city will be an issue if we do some research.  

And there are a lot of other big cities besides Toronto.  We've referenced Vancouver already in the RP, and Calgary and Montreal both have well over 1 million people (Vancouver and Montreal both have several million I think), and Edmonton and Winnipeg are getting close.  All of those are bigger than Portland.  There are lots of small cities in Ontario or across the Prairies that could be used as well if we want to avoid well known places.  

For example, my home city is like 5 times the size of Corvallis, even though it's still on the small side.

American cities, of course, work fine as well, but between WHiO and the books, the States are a little full of epics at the moment, and in Canada we might be less likely to contradict canon.  

I'd be down with anywhere of course, but those were the reasons behind my suggestion.  

8 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

On the bright side, Himiko would actually try and kill Nighthound after getting a crush on him. Making everyone mistake her for a hero.

Yeah, she would. 
I knew there'd be people here who were fans of the show. You read the manga too or just the anime? :) Also, Funtimes meeting the League of Villains would be freaking hilarious.

I've been interested in comparing Steelheart and Oregon to MHA, actually. Epics tend to have a much higher starting level of power with fewer practical limits outside of their weaknesses and their arrogance, but there's very little focus on the training side of things in comparison to the super hard work the cast of MHA puts into things. Even Megan's basically aware of what to do with her abilities off the bat. That's probably because they're designed to be overpowered, but still, I think I'm going to do include my Epic characters training their abilities in this Canada/Britain/Whatever based RP. Also, I find the similarities between Midoriya and David really interesting cause they both start out as vanillas who's main strength is analyisis. They both have large amounts of notes and are fascinated with everything to do with the superhuman abilities. Basically everyone in MHA is what we'd consider a minor Epic, as prime inviciibilities would break the story irreparably. Steelheart is set 10 years after, MHA is set anywhere from a hundred to two hundred.

Also, Aizawa and All For One are particularily intriguing as meta Epics. (Are meta Epics actually called that in universe or is that something we came up with? I don't remember.) They're in the same category of affecting quirks but nobody seems to see the connection, likely because there isn't one. Quirks are split up into Transformative, Emitter, and Heteromorphic/Mutant. Epics can be transformative or emitters. There's heteromorphic too, to an extent, but those abilities don't tend to have physical effects. (I love this subject a lot). Like, Steelheart has impenetrable skin but his skin still looks human. Most of the Epics distinguish themselves with outfits. Honestly, the vast majority are emitters. But since they can have multiple powers, it's totally normal for them to be multiple at once. 

The Minor Epic Empire is the closest equivalent to the League of Villains... That's a strange thought. 

1 hour ago, winter devotion said:

Yeah, she would. 
I knew there'd be people here who were fans of the show. You read the manga too or just the anime? :) Also, Funtimes meeting the League of Villains would be freaking hilarious.

I've been interested in comparing Steelheart and Oregon to MHA, actually. Epics tend to have a much higher starting level of power with fewer practical limits outside of their weaknesses and their arrogance, but there's very little focus on the training side of things in comparison to the super hard work the cast of MHA puts into things. Even Megan's basically aware of what to do with her abilities off the bat. That's probably because they're designed to be overpowered, but still, I think I'm going to do include my Epic characters training their abilities in this Canada/Britain/Whatever based RP. Also, I find the similarities between Midoriya and David really interesting cause they both start out as vanillas who's main strength is analyisis. They both have large amounts of notes and are fascinated with everything to do with the superhuman abilities. Basically everyone in MHA is what we'd consider a minor Epic, as prime inviciibilities would break the story irreparably. Steelheart is set 10 years after, MHA is set anywhere from a hundred to two hundred.

Also, Aizawa and All For One are particularily intriguing as meta Epics. (Are meta Epics actually called that in universe or is that something we came up with? I don't remember.) They're in the same category of affecting quirks but nobody seems to see the connection, likely because there isn't one. Quirks are split up into Transformative, Emitter, and Heteromorphic/Mutant. Epics can be transformative or emitters. There's heteromorphic too, to an extent, but those abilities don't tend to have physical effects. (I love this subject a lot). Like, Steelheart has impenetrable skin but his skin still looks human. Most of the Epics distinguish themselves with outfits. Honestly, the vast majority are emitters. But since they can have multiple powers, it's totally normal for them to be multiple at once. 

The Minor Epic Empire is the closest equivalent to the League of Villains... That's a strange thought. 

Reading the manga too.

One of the big things limiting Quirks compared to Epics is that every person only has one. (Ignoring the extremly rare edge cases that get by on technicalities) Meaning that even if some Quirks would manage to qualify as PIs, that's all the person in question could do. Most powerful Epics on the other hand tend to have an array of powers.

There's some mention of Epics training, specifically by Prof, I think, but yes. The ability to use the powers does seem to come with the actual powers on some instinctual level. Granted, the only new Epic we see didn't get much time to experiment around with his powers, so the impression might be faulty. Quirk's on the other hand are treated more like a body part (with some emitters not really fitting that angle) and need to be trained like an actual limb.

You know, I never really got into this thing. Pretty sure it's hayday was before my time anyhow.

But see, it looks like it's starting it up again... And I figure, to properly reboot, you're gonna need some new blood, yeah?

Beyond the pinned threads, is there anything in particular I ought to read through to get a sense for what exactly this is?

4 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

You know, I never really got into this thing. Pretty sure it's hayday was before my time anyhow.

But see, it looks like it's starting it up again... And I figure, to properly reboot, you're gonna need some new blood, yeah?

Beyond the pinned threads, is there anything in particular I ought to read through to get a sense for what exactly this is?

Yeeeessss!!! I wouldn’t say you need to read all of the old threads b maybe a few pages of them just to get the idea of what’s up?

6 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

Reading the manga too.

One of the big things limiting Quirks compared to Epics is that every person only has one. (Ignoring the extremly rare edge cases that get by on technicalities) Meaning that even if some Quirks would manage to qualify as PIs, that's all the person in question could do. Most powerful Epics on the other hand tend to have an array of powers.

There's some mention of Epics training, specifically by Prof, I think, but yes. The ability to use the powers does seem to come with the actual powers on some instinctual level. Granted, the only new Epic we see didn't get much time to experiment around with his powers, so the impression might be faulty. Quirk's on the other hand are treated more like a body part (with some emitters not really fitting that angle) and need to be trained like an actual limb.

What’d be interesting is pairing up All Might against someone like Steelheart, if we temporalily negate the impenetrable skin. I’d say All Might probably win if it’s on even turf but it’d change a lot depending on if there’s civilians nearby. In his prime, I think he’d be able to win even in a crowded city but he’d probably turn out accidentally causing the same scale of damage as in Kamino Ward otherwise. I mean, I guess it depends on if Steelheart would be able to pick up on All Might’s selflessness. He wouldn’t have the same sort of emotional weapon as AFO re:Shimura but All Might wouldn’t have backup cheering him on. 

Now what would be really terrifying is AFO in the Steelheart universe. His power seems to be limited to some certain number of quirks he can use efficiently otherwise it’d be a total curbstomp no matter how powerful OFA got, but the amount of OP Epic abilities that are both easy to learn and hard to beat in a fight... I think we know he has at least sixteen or so, which is a freaking terrifying amount of capacity. The healing of Nighthound, matter manipulation of Funtimes, the teleporting of (Insert Oregon Teleporter Here), the future sight of Fortuity, the water manipulation of Regalia (?)... Excluding Calamity himself, I seriously don’t think there’d be anyone powerful enough to stop someone with THAT level of brokennesss. Like, the only benefit in that situation is he’d leave Nighthound without healing (and probably without any of his other abilities because those are great too) so he’d be basically dead instantly. Actually, that might be worth it. 

I wonddr what the results of an Endeavor vs in person Regalia would be. She’s got a vulnerable body but a bigger scope. His fire should be hot enough to vaporize the water, though. Hm... I wouldn’t be sure who to root for in that fight. One abused other people for their own gain, causing them to lash out, and pushed someone very close to them into committing monstrous acts and the other was Regalia.

Are you all the way caught up? If not, what arc are you on? 
EDIT: I'm rereading portland now and i have a new otp. it's called ray/happiness. jeez. (also red/death but that doesn't mean i'm not gonna keep writing her.)

Edited by winter devotion
adding

13 minutes ago, Bladestorm said:

Just a question: for the new rp, do we want any sort of plot? Or just the standard character-based stuff.

I'm guessing we'll establish the setting and then let the characters naturally collide. As that happens, we can plan ahead in response to what goes down .

Edited by winter devotion
clarify

I think a destabilized location would be fun, since we've done a couple dictatorships already.  

What characters are people interested in bringing back?  I would love to do more Brandon and Taylor Swift since they didn't get to do much in the Dalles.

7 minutes ago, Comatose said:

I think a destabilized location would be fun, since we've done a couple dictatorships already.  

What characters are people interested in bringing back?  I would love to do more Brandon and Taylor Swift since they didn't get to do much in the Dalles.

Red, Chase, and maybe the Even Minorer Epic Squad -1 (AKA cutcloud’s friends). Brightdeath and Mistwraith could plausibly get there but I’m not really interested in reviving them so I’ll leave it at that for now and maybe bring some new ones in.

I'd prefer pre-Calamity personally, but after could be fun too I agree.  

If we do a city far enough away, we could even do it during the events of the books.  Maybe right after Steelheart dies?