[Edgedancer Spoilers] Bridge building

CaptainRyan

1 hour ago, The Invested Beard said:

Yeah let's not forget that Ishar was the one who first came up with the idea that all but one Herald quitting the Oathpact could keep the desolations at bay and we all know how that turned out.

I mean, it worked for 4500 years.

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of surprised that Peter gave out this information, considering how big it is. Seems like it would have been saved for a later book, hopefully for a radiant Rlain appearance?

Edited by Vikro

• 1 month later...

I think Eshonai was bonded to a spren - the cometlike spren she swats at in WOR.  The stormspren have pushed it out. 

However... we don't know what happens during the highstorm/everstorm event at the end of WOR with her at the bottom of the chasm?  Assuming her "cometlike" spren is hanging around during the highstorm - if the stormspren gives up on her to find a parshman? She could be a new woman. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2017 at 3:06 AM, ScavellTane said:

I'd always thought that the bridge thing was so that Odium could come to Roshar. The Stormfather mentions his coming during the highstorm that started the stormform.

That was my impression as well, that Odium and/or his splinters (the number that isn't the same number as the KR) plus, presumably, the last herald, had to commute from Braize to Roshar so they could get on desolating... It might just be Odium though as the thrill and death rattles seem to have been around for a bit but the bridge didn't seem to get crossed until Eshonai listened to her sister (something no one should ever do under any circumstances).

I always thought the epigraph referred to a Parshendi--Eshonai or Rlain--being a "bridge" between the Voidbringers and the Radiants. The Song of Spren indicates that a Parshendi could become a radiant, but that doing so would be dangerous/risky/uncertain. So I think the important thing in understanding how "It will form a bridge" is trying to understand what uniqueness exists for a Parshendi Radiant as opposed to a human one. 

I always thought this was the logical explanation but surprisingly it's not, unless @PeterAhlstrom is wrong. 

TherehastobeananswerWhatistheanswerStopTheParshendiOneofthemYestheyarethemissingpiecePushfortheAlethitodestroythemoutrightbeforethisoneobtainstheirpowerItwillformabridge
Paraphased: There has to be an answer. What is the answer? Stop. The Parshendi. One of them. Yes they are the missing piece. Push for the Alethi to destroy them outright before this one obtains their power. It will form a bridge.

What does "It will form a bridge." actually mean? Should I take it literally?

Peter

This is a metaphorical bridge. Basically, the Diagram says it would be super dangerous for their plans if one of the Parshendi formed a Radiant spren bond and became a Radiant. They would be able to bridge the gap between the cultures and throw a wrench into the sequence of events that the Diagram thinks needs to take place

Source - with thanks to @Botanica

It sounds like it's effectively a cultural bridge, that the Diagram requires the humans and Parshendi to remain separate. It could be some confusing wording and that there's a danger of a 'bridge' to Braize being formed by a Parshendi with a Nahel Bond, but the WoP doesn't sound like that. 

18 minutes ago, Extesian said:

I always thought this was the logical explanation but surprisingly it's not, unless @PeterAhlstrom is wrong. 

It sounds like it's effectively a cultural bridge, that the Diagram requires the humans and Parshendi to remain separate. It could be some confusing wording and that there's a danger of a 'bridge' to Braize being formed by a Parshendi with a Nahel Bond, but the WoP doesn't sound like that. 

I saw this brought up in another thread as an example of one of the rare times Peter has given incorrect information. I'll see if I can find it. 

11 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I saw this brought up in another thread as an example of one of the rare times Peter has given incorrect information. I'll see if I can find it. 

Thanks, it always surprised me greatly so if it's either confirmed or speculated-with-evidence that it's wrong or incorrectly worded, that will clear up a few things for me. 

22 hours ago, Calderis said:

21 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Extesian apparently I'm imagining things again. Only instances I could find of that are in the first page of this thread, and they don't contradict it. 

You definitely aren't imagining it. I remember that post as well(not that I can find it, but it had a source to a page full of WoP's.)

Speaking of which, here's the source. There's all manner of interesting things there that I'd never seen before. (The WoP about the Bridge is Q15, but I haven't the slightest idea how to link directly to it, so I'm at the closest default subheading(Q17))

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2017 at 6:25 PM, Aoibheann said:

I think Eshonai was bonded to a spren - the cometlike spren she swats at in WOR.  The stormspren have pushed it out. 

However... we don't know what happens during the highstorm/everstorm event at the end of WOR with her at the bottom of the chasm?  Assuming her "cometlike" spren is hanging around during the highstorm - if the stormspren gives up on her to find a parshman? She could be a new woman. 

Or, for that matter, if she "pushes" it out.  She has shown the ability to resist the effects of her form before, and there are plenty of indications that she's still fighting.  And, of course, she's probably a Willshaper candidate, and there's probably a reason for that name.

One thing I don´t understand... if Taravangian knwos about the parshmen->parshendi->voidbringers why in damnation name do he have parshmen in Karbranth?
It would be expected that he would make his city a voidbringer free environment, no?

5 minutes ago, red032 said:

One thing I don´t understand... if Taravangian knwos about the parshmen->parshendi->voidbringers why in damnation name do he have parshmen in Karbranth?
It would be expected that he would make his city a voidbringer free environment, no?

I think he'll get there. He has to do things the slow route unless there's an obvious reason. 

If he just suddenly banned Parshmen from Kharbranth there would be a lot of uproar from the people who have spent money to purchase them. 

That uproar would cause questions, and he can't exactly answer "they are Voidbringers," without causing a whole lot more questions. 

Why risk exposing the Diagram, when he'll have an excuse to kill them all eventually anyway? In the meantime, use them for labor. 

• Chaos locked this topic