New things you picked up

Wax

Ok.. what are all the new things you picked up.  I've just started the re read.

• Braize is another planet in the same system as Roshar.  So perhaps, the torture comes when people get transported to Braize somehow...

• wyndle mentioned that he got chosen by the ring... now I don't know ehat this ring business is??

For me (few which come to mind now, there was more :D):

- name of new sentient sprens - keensprens

- fact that a lot of life on Roshar bond sprens, and some horses (I guess Ryshadiums) are almost sentient thanks to that (I knew there was bonding with sprens, but didnt know it was so common)

- fact that Cultivationsprens considered bonding Ym (who turned to be Trutchwatcher) - it could mean that one person can initially attract more then one kind of sprens

- that Lift after eating can store Stormlight for half day before it vanishes

- that Lift can make not only herself slick but other objects - so much potential there

- how not impressive was Nale while fighting Lift

3 hours ago, Kanrei said:

- fact that a lot of life on Roshar bond sprens, and some horses (I guess Ryshadiums) are almost sentient thanks to that (I knew there was bonding with sprens, but didnt know it was so common)

Actually, it's beyond even that for the Ryshadium.  Khriss describes them as almost sapient, which is the term Brandon uses for human-like intelligence and self-awareness.  All animals are sentient, and some plants (especially on Roshar, perhaps), but few if any approach sapience.

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Actually, it's beyond even that for the Ryshadium.  Khriss describes them as almost sapient, which is the term Brandon uses for human-like intelligence and self-awareness.  All animals are sentient, and some plants (especially on Roshar, perhaps), but few if any approach sapience.

Sentience is self awareness and thought outside of instinct, which many animals do not possess.

12 hours ago, Blightsong said:

Sentience is self awareness and thought outside of instinct, which many animals do not possess.

Sentience is the ability to act in response to outside stimuli. Most animals as such are sentient. Example being a cat outside feels a rain drop fall on it and knows to go inside to avoid getting soaked, due to past experience. (Edited because phrasing implied more sapience than sentience) 

Sapience is the ability to reason using the stimuli given and create extrapolations, which most animals cannot do. In other words, it's the ability to affect judgment based on your observations.

Sentience is usually incorrectly used in a lot of literature in place of sapience.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

On 2016-12-10 at 1:14 PM, axcellence said:

• wyndle mentioned that he got chosen by the ring... now I don't know ehat this ring business is??

The Ring is a council of spren. I think they are Cultivationspren in particular, and they might be the leaders of whatever society or civilization the Culturespren have in the Cognitive Realm. Wyndle mentions it in the WoR interlude too.

On 2016-12-12 at 10:30 AM, Kanrei said:

- that Lift after eating can store Stormlight for half day before it vanishes

Actually, I'm pretty sure she's not storing Stormlight - just normal energy from the food. And just like for non-awesome people, that energy is used up over the course of the day. I think the energy (or food in general, I'm not sure which) is only converted into Stormlight when she actually becomes awesome.

6 hours ago, Eki said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure she's not storing Stormlight - just normal energy from the food. And just like for non-awesome people, that energy is used up over the course of the day. I think the energy (or food in general, I'm not sure which) is only converted into Stormlight when she actually becomes awesome.

Its definitely about Stormlight:
"She didn’t use her awesomeness, which was running out anyway. She hadn’t eaten since last night, and if she didn’t use the power, it eventually vanished. Took about half a day; she didn’t know why."

She makes clear distinction here that she has awesomeness and that awesomeness is running away and takes half day, not potential to get awesomeness.
Which in mechanic seems similar to other Radiants loosing Stormlight they sucked in. Interesting is specific timing and fact that there are no wisps of Stormlight coming out of Lift.

6 hours ago, Kanrei said:

"She didn’t use her awesomeness, which was running out anyway. She hadn’t eaten since last night, and if she didn’t use the power, it eventually vanished. Took about half a day; she didn’t know why."

She makes clear distinction here that she has awesomeness and that awesomeness is running away and takes half day, not potential to get awesomeness.
Which in mechanic seems similar to other Radiants loosing Stormlight they sucked in. Interesting is specific timing and fact that there are no wisps of Stormlight coming out of Lift.

I agree with Eki. Her reserve is un-metabolized food not Stormlight it self. It does not make sense to me that she would convert food into Stormlight if she did not need it. This would just make her more malnourished. 

8 hours ago, Kanrei said:

My interpretation is that the transition from food to stormlight is so fine and she's so adapt at it that she sees both at one. How many calories she has stored is the amount of stormlight she has at her disposal, and she marks stormlight by calories. Inversely to your argument, you never see her think that she has to store more stormlight, In addition, in your quote, she is directly indicating that she equates food (calories) with stormlight, not as separate things. Finally, the fact that she immediately does become hungry once she runs low on her perceived awesomeness is also indicative that she's converting to stormlight on the fly.

@StormingTexan @Spoolofwhool
Ok, so what are you basically saying is that Lift can "feel" her eaten food as its being metabolized similarly to how alomancer can feel his metal reserves? And that when she says awesomeness she dont rly mean awesomeness.

My problem with it is fact that every single Radiant so far made it clear that feeling of Stormlight inside you is quite distinct and unmistakable feeling.

Thats why I think in quote above Lift indicate that she is getting awesomeness from food, not that food itself mean awesomeness. And that awesomeness - that feeling of storm inside you, but more strength, more speed too, is what she is referring to.
At the same time when she says she isnt awesome but normal she dont mean she is hungry, but that she dont have anymore Stormlight and feeling which Stormlight provide.

Ofc I might be wrong, as there is a lot unknown about how Lift abilities.
We dont know if conversion is passive or active.
Are there some limits of how much she can convert to Stormlight so she wont kill herself if she will converting constantly (if she can convert 100% of eaten food, and will be using Stormlight constantly, then even if she would eat all the time she would die at some point).

Or is she getting some nutrition from Stormlight itself, like when Stormlight heal you, is it just speeding natural body healing abilities or external thing in addition to what body is doing (like when The Lopen sucked in Stormlight and started healing his arm, was he using only Stormlight or nutrients from body too)? If later would be true, and Lift convert passively then there is possibility that Lift actually live on Stormlight not on food itself (no idea how would it work).

If she is living of Stormlight then I assume that about half day is time for her body to use up all Stormlight in her for normal body functions.

Edit.

Ok so updated theory is:

Lift is actually living of Stormlight, not food itself.
So she eats something, its passively converted to Stormlight and then her body is using Stormlight itself instead of food.

That would explain why she is instantly hungry when she runs out of Stormlight.
Skinny but not skeletal.

I making here assumption that when sucked in Stormlight heal Radiant, its not just speeding body abilities to heal but external, "magical" thing, where Stormlight provide all resources needed for healing and speed it up. If thats true it could work as food replacement for Lift.

Thoughts?

Edited by Kanrei
updated theory

All good points above. Yes I believe it is very similar to how alomancers can perceive their metal reserves. 

My main reasoning is if we assume converting the calories to Stormlight would in turn not allow her body to use those calories for nourishment it would be very detrimental to her if she converted all her calories in to Stormlight without needing it. Now I guess there is the possibility she is living off of Stormlight instead of food but to me that's a little bit of a stretch. 

I think it was when she was following Darkness around the pond deal that she used her Awesomness and talked about how it made her stronger and more alert. So this is her actually converting her un-metabolized food. To define Having Awesomness is a reserve of un-metabolized food and Using Awesomness is converting to Stormlight. 

I agree though there is a lot about how she actually does this we do not know. 

On 12/11/2016 at 10:50 PM, harambe said:

i dont know mate every time i discover smt i am filled with happyness but then when i go to the forums to check smn has already noticed it years ago. And then i feel depressed and useless and i forget it 

Hmm.. well, I hope ice cream flavors that I haven't tried so far, still taste the same when I discover them.

Edited by axcellence

18 hours ago, Kanrei said:

Interesting is specific timing and fact that there are no wisps of Stormlight coming out of Lift.

There are, but only when she converts a lot of food into Stormlight. (Which would be equivalent to any other Radiant breathing in Stormlight.) Edgedancer contains many references to people seeing her glow (when dropping the grain down into the city, and when showing the scribes what they should be looking for, for example).

And I'm pretty sure there's at least one time when she activates her Stormlight just to get extra strength and speed. If she was using Stormlight constantly, she would feel like that all the time, except when she's completely out.

Lift just doesn't know the difference between nutrition and Stormlight. It's all just awesomeness to her.

On 12/11/2016 at 11:50 AM, harambe said:

i dont know mate every time i discover smt i am filled with happyness but then when i go to the forums to check smn has already noticed it years ago. And then i feel depressed and useless and i forget it 

Hahaha it's like your quoting my life on the 17thShard :unsure:

Keep your chin up +1

The other thing I picked up was Ishar's becoming a bit of a villain.  He was the one who broke the oathpact and induced others to do so.

Then, Nale says he asked Ishar if the voidbringers have returned and Got a response in negative in this book.

So, I am guessing Ishar's getting a big role in OB, explaining his position.

Edited by axcellence

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 8:07 AM, axcellence said:

The other thing I picked up was Ishar's becoming a bit of a villain.  He was the one who broke the oathpact and induced others to do so.

Then, Nale says he asked Ishar if the voidbringers have returned and Got a response in negative in this book.

Yep. Things seem to be indicating he's a major Douche canoe.

On 12/18/2016 at 3:07 AM, axcellence said:

It also looks like Jezrien is on it as well, judging by Nales revelation to Lift at the end. 

Because I can't see the leader of the Heralds, the person who trains Kings, to be fooled by another Herald. 

Edited by KereDerek

On 28/12/2016 at 4:23 AM, WEZ313 said:

Yep. Things seem to be indicating he's a major Douche canoe.

Either that or he is doing something Kelsier like in hoping something will work, but it doesn't and through a variety of other scenarios, it ends up helping in a round about way.

Another fact:

Skybreakers are the order that did not disband at the Day of Recreance:

Initiate of Skybreakers in Edgedancer says: "I mean, shouldn't we want them to return, so we won't be the only order of Knights Radiant?" Being guided by Nalan would imply that the Skybreakers existed all along.

3 hours ago, Pattern said:

Another fact:

Skybreakers are the order that did not disband at the Day of Recreance:

Initiate of Skybreakers in Edgedancer says: "I mean, shouldn't we want them to return, so we won't be the only order of Knights Radiant?" Being guided by Nalan would imply that the Skybreakers existed all along.

Still unconfirmed really. My opinion is that Nale started recruiting them several years ago when the signs of a Desolation began to appear. so it doesn't mean that they have existed since the FinalDesolation.