[Spoiler?] New Spren

Corax

So, apologies if this was already discussed elsewhere and I missed it, but...

In Edgedancer, Wyndle mentions 'Keenspren' briefly, with the implication that they are difficult to understand. I was wondering if anyone who read a non-English version might know if the concept for them is keen as in clever, keen as in literally sharp, or keen as in the sound (a wail). 

1 hour ago, Corax said:

In Edgedancer, Wyndle mentions 'Keenspren' briefly, with the implication that they are difficult to understand. I was wondering if anyone who read a non-English version might know if the concept for them is keen as in clever, keen as in literally sharp, or keen as in the sound (a wail). 

Right now, there's nothing to do but to wait, they haven't translated Edgedancer, I'm sure that will take some time. Sorry:(

On 12/9/2016 at 10:53 PM, Corax said:

I was more thinking of this :P

hqdefault.jpg

But seriously, I'd expect it to refer to the wailing (*cough *Szeth *cough *voices *cough)

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/9/2016 at 10:53 PM, Corax said:

"Keenspren" are the kind that expand your critical threat range, right?

On 1/12/2017 at 1:14 PM, Oversleep said:

in Polish it's translated as "lamentspren".

Hmmm... I assumed it was more along with 'a keen eye for ___.' If they are the spren equivalent of liberal arts majors, then I can see them being hard to understand. Except that is Wyndle speaking, the truly archetypal liberal arts major (at least according to the local connotation for the word)...

On 1/18/2017 at 6:24 PM, Oversleep said:

Of course, this is the same person who somehow translated Dominion as Domination. Be warned.

Well that could be essentially right. Dominion as rule/control is essentially synonymous, and I rather doubt the shard's name refers to dominion in the sense of a nation or controlled territory (though there was a theory about that being the source of Sel's region-specific magic before AU).

On 1/22/2017 at 9:23 PM, cometaryorbit said:

Well that could be essentially right. Dominion as rule/control is essentially synonymous, and I rather doubt the shard's name refers to dominion in the sense of a nation or controlled territory (though there was a theory about that being the source of Sel's region-specific magic before AU).

Yeah, this interpretation of "Dominion" makes much more sense, especially as Devotion's opposite. Devotion is like a god's loving care for its people, and Dominion is a god's desire to rule and control.

Also, lamentspren is probably a solid translation. "Keen" has this obscure meaning:

Etymology 2[edit]

From Irish caoin (keen, weep, cry).

Noun[edit]

keen ‎(plural keens)

1. A prolonged wail for a deceased person. 

(from Wiktionary)

Edited by Belzedar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic