[Disney] Moana

Quiver

1 hour ago, FeatherWriter said:

It's fab. I'm trying to think what the best way to rewrite "How Far I'll Go" into a Cosmere song would be, because I'm dying to cover it.

"How Far I'll Go," is definitely the best song of the movie.

I usually like to wait a day or two before commenting, to let things percolate some. So, this -my immediate reaction to a film- is a bit different from my usual style and might be somewhat disjointed as a result. 

Overall... I liked it. I think the film is going to invite comparision to Frozen, since that was Disney's last animated Christmas hit. It didn't hit me as hard emotionally as Frozen did, which I think is because...

Frozen is, ultimately, a very simple story which can be interpreted in complex ways. I've said before that I relate to Elsa because I read her mannerisms as mirroring my OCD, while others read 'Let It Go' as feminist, or coming out, or any number of positive things.

Moana, however, feels more complex; both the character and the film. TV Tropes draws comparision between Moana and Ariel, but I think that's unfair. The opening song sequence establishes Moana as more mature and responsible than Ariel,and her father doesn't feel as...aggressive as King Triton.

Frozen is a pretty simple (slightly unconventional) love story with a break out character. Moana feels more complicated because, because the Polynesian mythos, it's reaching into the realm of a folk tale.

Which is definitely more ambitious, but it does mean I didn't quite get the immediate emotional kick that I did room watching Frozen...though saying that, I do think Moana is a film I'll like watching the more I do so.

Also, I really liked the ending? I'm a little confused by the mechanics at work, but defeating the final boss through empathy and compassion was a lot more cathartic than any final boss fight would be.

(So, it's not that I didn't get emotional over this film; Moana's grandmother left an impact. But it came in tighter spaces than it ahd with Frozen)

I dunno. My muted reaction might be because I was so hyped for this film; by contrast, I saw Frozen on a whim. One exceed my expectations, the other didn't quite reach, but they are both good movies. Looking forward to rewatching Moana when it gets a home release though. 

Moana herself is a great character. The trailers made me think Maui was supposed to be the hit character, but...

He was enjoyable, certainly. But found Moana far, far more interesting.

1 hour ago, tobar14 said:

I have not seen it. Thank you for reading this.

"You're Welcome" :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2016 at 10:55 PM, FeatherWriter said:

It's fab. I'm trying to think what the best way to rewrite "How Far I'll Go" into a Cosmere song would be, because I'm dying to cover it.

Ooh. I'm gonna think about this too. The question is which character it most fits. Kid Kal maybe. If you don't mind I might give it a shot?

Moana is very different from other Disney Princesses. Firstly there's no prince. I also really liked how it wasn't one goal/adventure calling her, it was the voyager lifestyle and then she got to live it. Short version: really liked it, wasn't overly impressed with the "Villain song", impressed with how Moana literally doesn't stop for a second, is willing to admit flaws and learn new things, and especially in the beginning she sticks to her responsibilities rather than spending all day dreaming/building boats/whatever. She's a princess with responsibility and she takes that seriously and it's awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

BLASPHEMERS

On 2 January 2017 at 6:56 AM, Tesserac said:

It wasn't bad, but I felt like the songs were a bit forgettable and sometimes random.

The ending was jarring for me to, since Moana fixes their paradise island, but then they immediately decided to leave it? The whole reason their ancestors settled there was because it was so perfect!

The whole point is that the island is home but they were voyagers. "We set a course to find a brand new island everywhere we roam/we keep our island in our mind/and when its time to find home/we know the way". It's a home base they'll come back to, not a stay-here-forever home. The whole movie was about learning how to voyage again.

On 22 March 2017 at 4:38 AM, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

Bit predictable tbh

You predicted Te Ka was Te Fiti? seriously? <3

4 hours ago, TMonsta said:

Odd, I just watched it for the first time last week and the only song that really fell flat for me was How Far I'll Go.  I loved You're Welcome and Shiny.

I liked You're Welcome, Shiny really took a while to grow on me. Hands down favourite is I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors) though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19 December 2016 at 7:49 PM, Delightful said:

Ooh. I'm gonna think about this too. The question is which character it most fits. Kid Kal maybe. 

I think Kaladin fits that really well! Kid Wax might work too. oooh and Wayne could do You're Welcome

Heh, or maybe Dalinar could do How Far I'll Go and Tanavast could do We Know The Way

Edited by Flynn
Wayne!! and Dalinar and Tanavast!1

I watched it last night. Loved the music for sure, and the animation was incredible at points. The scene in the beginning, where Moana is picking up shells the ocean leaves in a trail, and the water forms a wall and turtle swims past was beautiful.
As for the storyline...it was interesting that it didn't have a villain in the way that many films do. I won't expand on this point, because spoilers and if you've watched it you understand, but the way it was done was good, and also made sense. The rest of the storyline wasn't incredibly complex or anything, but it was certainly different from the Disney princess movies of the past.
Overall, it was good.

On 09/04/2017 at 8:50 AM, A Budgie said:

I watched it last night. Loved the music for sure, and the animation was incredible at points. The scene in the beginning, where Moana is picking up shells the ocean leaves in a trail, and the water forms a wall and turtle swims past was beautiful.
As for the storyline...it was interesting that it didn't have a villain in the way that many films do. I won't expand on this point, because spoilers and if you've watched it you understand, but the way it was done was good, and also made sense. The rest of the storyline wasn't incredibly complex or anything, but it was certainly different from the Disney princess movies of the past.
Overall, it was good.

there was also no prince!!!!

Okay, okay, I sense whats going on
You're face-to-face with greatness and it's strange
You don't even know what to do, it's overdrawn
Well, it's nice to see that humans never change
Open your eyes, let's begin

Yes it's really me, It's Hoid, breathe it in
I know it's a lot: the magic, the honor
When you're staring at a
 worldhopper

[Chorus]
What can I say except "goodbye"?
For these tides, this sun, this sky
Hey, it's okay, it's okay, 
goodbye
I'm just an ordinary wise guy!

[Verse 2]
Hey, what was there when adonalsium was shattered
When you're birth was no matter? This 
bastard!
If nights got cold, who steals the magic of fire of old
Me, and I break into strongholds!
Oh, also I lassoed the sun, (Sorry Scadrial)
To ruin your days and bring you
 Myradaal
Also, I harnessed the breath, goodbye
To fill your sky with ash till you 
comply

[Chorus]
So, what can I say except "goodbye"?
For the worlds I stole from thee
There's no need to pray, it's okay, I'm leaving
I guess it's just my way of being me

Goodbye, Goodbye

[Verse 3]
Well, come to think of it
Odium, honestly, I can explain it to you, retard
I can explain every 
shard
Honor, Cultivation, Preservation
Oh, that was Hoid just explaining damnation
I killed a vessel, It was quite a tussle
Sprouted a tree, now you've got 
ati
What's the lesson? What is the takeaway?
Don't mess with Hoid when he's on the breakaway
And the tapestry here in my skin
Is a map of the victories I win
Look where I've been, I make everything happen
Look at that mean mini Maui just tippity tapping
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, hey

Sorry i got lazy and i gotta go eat

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.12.2016 at 11:32 PM, Quiver said:

"How Far I'll Go," is definitely the best song of the movie.

Objection! "We know the way" is the best! :P

I fell in love with this movie. Like Quiver felt strong resonance with Frozen I felt it with Moana. I love to travel and I really felt the j joy of voyage radiating from this movie.

Also go princess without prince! :D