2017: The Bar

ThirdGen

I was having a conversation with my girlfriend and got off on a tangent I thought might be fun to present to the forum: How low the bar is for 2017 to be not that bad.  Here are some hypothetical things 2017 needs to be better than to be a relatively okay year:

- Sex and the City 3

- Ann Coulter writing a children's book about baking cookies

- Carrot Top [any end to this sentence].

- Dane Cook dating advice.

- Bubsy Bobcat gritty reboot.

- Indiana Jones getting to the '60s and beating up hippies.

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

-A sequel to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child where the events of Cursed Child are revealed to be a shared hallucination induced by Voldemort 

That would have to be one crazy hallucination considering how insane the plot of Cursed Child is. Note, I haven't read it, just the synopsis of Wikipedia, and that was enough for me to give it up.

-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Day 

I approve of this idea. 

-A sequel to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child where the events of Cursed Child are revealed to be a shared hallucination induced by Voldemort 

-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Day 

-Black Friday, but for student loans, and you can apply the deals to loans you already have

Whoops, wait, no, I get it.

Edited by The Ooklent One
undoofusing response

- Captain Marvel getting some dignity and respect back after the fiasco that is Civil War II 

- #Cyclopswasright getting acknowledged in universe.

- Arrow season 5 being really good, and them maintaining that quality for season 6.

- Actually, if DC can maintain the quality of its current relaunch un general, the would be fantastic.

-AP exams suddenly becoming far easier this year, specifically for statistics

-As above, Trump actually proves most people wrong and is a good ish president

-Oathbringer comes out on time

- DC's shows and movies improve

-VidAngel wins all of its legal battles and stays alive

-All radio becomes ad free( okay this one's impossible, but I think everyone would support it)

-My new department manager will be able to at least take care of scheduling well, even if they're super bad at everything else

I can think of more, but mostly those are things that will make LeftVash's 2017 better, not really anyone else's. 

26 minutes ago, Quiver said:

- Captain Marvel getting some dignity and respect back after the fiasco that is Civil War II 

- #Cyclopswasright getting acknowledged in universe.

- Arrow season 5 being really good, and them maintaining that quality for season 6.

- Actually, if DC can maintain the quality of its current relaunch un general, the would be fantastic.

For Captain Marvel, there's Ultimates squared

And Cyclops is never right ;)

I'm hoping Blue Beetle turns out all right.

11 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

For Captain Marvel, there's Ultimates squared

And Cyclops is never right ;)

I'm hoping Blue Beetle turns out all right.

I will fight you on this. 

Anyway, as terrible as 2016 was in general, I think it actually was a pretty good year for comics; at least so far as the Big Two were concerned. I can't remember if the Secret-Never-Ending-War finished in 2016 or 2015, but either way, it was a decent event, and I heard good thigns about... at least some of the books that launched with All New All Different monikers. 

Meanwhile DC had it's resurgance of creativity with DCYou, and then Rebirth happened and everything has been fantastic since. 

Heck, IDW has expanded it's massively successful Hasbro comics, and Image continues to have TV hits like the Walking Dead. Vertigo got a new lease of life thanks to new books and old books (iZombie, Lucifier) being productive enough to get second seasons.

The comic industry made out pretty well, all things considered. 

had a good year at least. I met two internet friends I've known for six years, spent ten days with one of them in Scotland and Ireland, made new internet friends and started becoming creative again.

The evil in the universe seems to be a constant.

- Clean shaven Negan on The Walking Dead

Spoiler

This

Image result for negan clean shaven

becomes

Image result for negan clean shaven

this

- Carl killing/imprisoning Negan in the season 7 finale

- Season 10 of Doctor Who not being trash

- Oathbringer

- Nightblood announcement

- not as many cult icons dying

- less natural disasters

- New, better Mumford album

- Bernie making changes in the Senate

10 minutes ago, Mesa the Ookla said:

No seriously, I've always wondered what theythey would really be like. How exactly do you embody conquest, famine, death and war??

In Islam we have this dude called the deciever, the false messiah

Interpretations vary, but the one I was taught is that the horsemen aren't embodiments so much as symbols. The coming of each horseman represents the moment when the thing they represent (famine, disease, etc.) begins. 

It's important to note that the entire book of Revelation is opaque and bizarre in many ways by design; many modern commentators believe it's meant less as a clear-cut guide to the end of days and more as a message of comfort to persecuted believers; a way of saying "Things are bad, and they're going to get worse, but good will triumph in the end and it'll all be okay."

That reminds me about a book I'm planning to read That's on my shelve. It's the end of the world, the four horsemen have come, the leviathan has risen etc... however, they didn't receive the memo that human kind has advanced in technology. The leviathan got blasted into pieces with some missiles while people are outrunning the four horsemen on their bikes :D I hope this book will be as fun as it advertises itself. 

Reminds me of a meme I saw:

John: And the end will be announced by trumpets?

God: No, Trump/Pence.

John: Yeah, trumpets.

God: . . . They'll understand when the time comes.

But in all honesty, I'm trying to have more of an optimistic view for 2017.

• Oathbringer probably comes out!
  • Miraculous season 2! (I know none of you watch that show, but I'm still excited)
  • Series of Unfortunate Events gets a TV series on Netflix! (It looks really good.)
  • More Marvel movies, including a second Guardians of the Galaxy!
  • Nintendo Switch and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Finally.
  • Plus I turn 16 and will be able to do stuff like drive and go on dates. (Not that anyone would ask me out, but I'll be able to.)

I'm making myself feel better just typing it. :)