2016-11-30 [Arcanum Unbounded] Borderlands - San Francisco, CA

Weltall

On 02/12/2016 at 2:04 PM, Blightsong said:

This is kind of an open and shut case guys. Brandon has never lied to a questioner as far as we know and there isnt any reason for him to. It isnt that much if a stretch to think that both types of spren were looking at the same person. Its like if two football recruiters were looking for a new player, and two different teams found a player that could fit well in the team. Either way, peter confirmed that this was the case at one of the recent signings, they havent been very secretive about this :ph34r:

Edit: Also, we have confirmation that you could bond two spren at once

INTERVIEW: Jan 7th, 2015

QUESTION

Could someone bond with two sprenand wield two swords?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It is theoretically possible, but the sprenaren’t going to like it. So you won’t see it very often.

Oh I didn't mean to imply Brandon was misleading us and I am aware it is possible. It merely is I find it improbable, hence I am surprised it is being drop on us on such an unlikely candidate. There is also the fact Brandon has kept a strong mystery around Ym's order: nobody would have made such a big deal out of it had we gotten a clarifying WoB years ago. As it happens, Brandon has steadily refused to answer all questions about Ym and while he did tell us we could bond two sprens, he made it sounds as if they was an extremely rare occurrence.

Hence, I am still left wondering why has there been such a mystery around Ym. What was the purpose to keep it secret? It isn't clear to me. 

2 hours ago, maxal said:

Oh I didn't mean to imply Brandon was misleading us and I am aware it is possible. It merely is I find it improbable, hence I am surprised it is being drop on us on such an unlikely candidate. There is also the fact Brandon has kept a strong mystery around Ym's order: nobody would have made such a big deal out of it had we gotten a clarifying WoB years ago. As it happens, Brandon has steadily refused to answer all questions about Ym and while he did tell us we could bond two sprens, he made it sounds as if they was an extremely rare occurrence.

Hence, I am still left wondering why has there been such a mystery around Ym. What was the purpose to keep it secret? It isn't clear to me. 

I don't really remember anyone asking questions about Ym until recently, although he has been a topic since the book came out.

Brandon often keeps us guessing if he thinks his answer would kill interesting community discussion.

35 minutes ago, Windrunner said:

I really think that it's mostly him wanting us to not know much about the Truthwatchers. He has been similarly tight-lipped on Renarin as well.

This is very plausible. Truthwatchers are secretive by the nature of their talents, and what we have seen so far of the actual truthwatching side of things suggests that they had valid reasons for that.

On 12/3/2016 at 2:57 PM, Blightsong said:

I think this is where the metaphor fails. One cannot maintain a proffesional skill level at two sports very reasonably, but there is no reason to believe that it is so rare for someone to harbor ideals of two orders reasonably.

Hi, my name is Bo Jackson. I'd like to introduce you to my good friend Deion Sanders. I would also like to introduce you to my friends Jameis Winston and Russell Wilson, but they got too important to be in our friends' group anymore. They used to be, though. This group was started by Jim Thorpe and Babe Didrikson way back in the '30s, fyi. 

I think it's a great metaphor: extremely rare where it would be highly remarkable but not impossible. You just have to be supremely talented/devout.

Just now, Bromo_Sapien said:

Hi, my name is Bo Jackson. I'd like to introduce you to my good friend Deion Sanders. I would also like to introduce you to my friends Jameis Winston and Russell Wilson, but they got too important to be in our friends' group anymore. They used to be, though. This group was started by Jim Thorpe and Babe Didrikson way back in the '30s, fyi. 

I think it's a great metaphor: extremely rare where it would be highly remarkable but not impossible. You just have to be supremely talented/devout.

"Very reasonably". I was trying to convey that it is possible, but not nearly as likely as someone harboring the ideals of two orders.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:47 AM, Weltall said:

- On the less serious side, I asked what Hoid's favorite flavor of instant noodles is. At first I think he misheard me asking what his own favorite is ('spicy Korean ramen' apparently, though I don't remember the exact specifics) so I clarified. He said that Hoid is looking forward to instant noodles but they aren't Yolenese and he knows about them via the same method that he knows where he needs to be in the Cosmere.

- That gave me the opportunity to ask one last question, about feruchemical chromium and whether storing fortune would cause you to risk experiencing really improbable things, like the entropy curse in The Dresden Files. He said he wasn't going to answer questions about fortune, that the MAG shouldn't be taken as gospel on this point (I don't remember how it works there and didn't mention it, he brought it up on his own) and that he's planning something different than we might be thinking, for how that mechanic will function.

This is pretty important, actually: Unless Fortune works in a "future vision" way, this actually rules out Hoid using Fortune to know here he needs to be; this despite the fact that we know that he uses Feruchemy for his "need to be there" sense. So either a new Feruchemical power or an unexpected use of an existing one—or it just turns out that Fortune's just weird that way.

Edited by Kurkistan
Putting in Fortune question

I suspect the latter. I asked him about Fortune as a followup and he did imply that was going to be different and not what we might expect. Also, he mentioned at one of the earlier signings that the underlying mechanism Hoid uses to plan his calendar is the same as Feruchemical chromium but that he might not necessarily be using Feruchemy itself, clarifying that earlier WoB. All of which of course leaves me wanting more Mistborn books so we can learn just how Fortune does work, though at this rate I'm willing to bet we won't learn about it until Era 3.

3 minutes ago, Weltall said:

I suspect the latter. I asked him about Fortune as a followup and he did imply that was going to be different and not what we might expect. Also, he mentioned at one of the earlier signings that the underlying mechanism Hoid uses to plan his calendar is the same as Feruchemical chromium but that he might not necessarily be using Feruchemy itself, clarifying that earlier WoB. All of which of course leaves me wanting more Mistborn books so we can learn just how Fortune does work, though at this rate I'm willing to bet we won't learn about it until Era 3.

Oof, I'm behind the times. I need to catch up on all the audio from the AU signings, it sounds like. :/ Thanks.

P.S. Also I added the Fortune bit to my quote for completeness' sake.

On 12/3/2016 at 5:48 PM, Windrunner said:

I really think that it's mostly him wanting us to not know much about the Truthwatchers. He has been similarly tight-lipped on Renarin as well.

I'm still under the impression that he doesn't want us to know about Ym or Renarin so we can't notice the differences between the two. There's something fishy up with Renarin and comparing him to Ym could give away too much of the secret. 

22 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

I'm still under the impression that he doesn't want us to know about Ym or Renarin so we can't notice the differences between the two. There's something fishy up with Renarin and comparing him to Ym could give away too much of the secret. 

This is reasonable.

On 03/12/2016 at 7:57 PM, Blightsong said:

I think this is where the metaphor fails. One cannot maintain a proffesional skill level at two sports very reasonably, but there is no reason to believe that it is so rare for someone to harbor ideals of two orders reasonably.

IIRC Bradon has said it is possible to have more than one Nahel bond simultaneously.

On 12/9/2016 at 1:01 PM, Ironeyes said:

I has been my assumption to. If I am to place a bet, I'd say it has to do with the visions: it has nothing to do with Renarin being a Truthwatcher. I am thinking they are something else entirely. Renarin says "I see" towards the end of WoR: many of us interpreted this sentence as meaning he was referring to this visions....

Spoiler

I don't think he was, not anymore. I think he sees when others are telling lies, he sees the truth... which some how correlates with Stump saying how this or that kid is lying... She was very keen on it: she really seemed to be able to figure out which ones were just trying to get on her good side from which ones truly needed her help. 

2 minutes ago, maxal said:

I has been my assumption to. If I am to place a bet, I'd say it has to do with the visions: it has nothing to do with Renarin being a Truthwatcher. I am thinking they are something else entirely. Renarin says "I see" towards the end of WoR: many of us interpreted this sentence as meaning he was referring to this visions....

Hide contents

I don't think he was, not anymore. I think he sees when others are telling lies, he sees the truth... which some how correlates with Stump saying how this or that kid is lying... She was very keen on it: she really seemed to be able to figure out which ones were just trying to get on her good side from which ones truly needed her help. 

That's very plausible, and it jives with the Skybreakers' supposed ability to divide the guilty from the innocent. 

2 hours ago, Ironeyes said:

That's very plausible, and it jives with the Skybreakers' supposed ability to divide the guilty from the innocent. 

But Truthwatchers share no surges with Skybreakers, so it cannot be the same skill.

I agree though on the larger point. Stump appears to be able to tell when kids are lying (or at least, it appears to us). Ym and Renarin have not been spotted doing this. Based on what we have seen of their neighbors, Truthwatchers should be able to heal and lightweave (although as Brandon says, their lightweaving may be different than that of Lightweavers). Seeing truth therefore could be considered a Resonance.

1 hour ago, emailanimal said:

But Truthwatchers share no surges with Skybreakers, so it cannot be the same skill.

I agree though on the larger point. Stump appears to be able to tell when kids are lying (or at least, it appears to us). Ym and Renarin have not been spotted doing this. Based on what we have seen of their neighbors, Truthwatchers should be able to heal and lightweave (although as Brandon says, their lightweaving may be different than that of Lightweavers). Seeing truth therefore could be considered a Resonance.

He wasn't saying it was the same skill, just that the theory had merit because we have already seen a similar mechanic.

Edited by Blightsong

4 hours ago, Blightsong said:

He wasn't saying it was the same skill, just that the theory had merit because we have already seen a similar mechanic.

Yup, exactly this. I mean, it is the same magic system, and Brandon has quite a track record of analogous magics. 

Yup, exactly this. I mean, it is the same magic system, and Brandon has quite a track record of analogous magics. 

Usually, analogous between different systems, not between two parts of the same system.  We also know nothing of this Skybreaker's ability. I am not certain it is implied directly by the Surges they have access to either (although we've only seen Gravitation so far).  So, we have to attribute anything related to determining whether someone lies or whether someone is guilty Resonances.

Edited by emailanimal

7 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

What...? This site is doing weird things... that post was originally put up six hours ago. What's it doing reappearing now? 

Sorry, that was my bad. I edited the post to actually say what I wanted in continuation. 

Edited by emailanimal

Just now, emailanimal said:

Sorry, that was my bad. I edited the post actually say what I wanted in continuation. 

Oh that makes sense. No worries then. 

7 minutes ago, emailanimal said:

Usually, analogous between different systems, not between two parts of the same system.  We also know nothing of this Skybreaker's ability. I am not certain it is implied directly by the Surges they have access to either (although we've only seen Gravitation so far).  So, we have to attribute anything related to determining whether someone lies or whether someone is guilty Resonances.

Well that's true, and I agree. I'm of the opinion that this apparent judgement thing of the Skybreakers and the apparent lie detecting of the Truthwatchers are both resonances. 

14 hours ago, emailanimal said:

Here is an interesting scene in between Renarin and Adolin, one of my favorite.

“Why do you enjoy tormenting them?”

“I don’t like minders.”

“You’ve had guards before.”

“On the battlefield,” Adolin said. It felt different to be followed about everywhere he went.

There’s more. Don’t lie to me, Brother. I know you too well.”

Adolin inspected his brother, whose eyes were so earnest behind his spectacles. The boy was too solemn all the time.

“I don’t like their captain,” Adolin admitted.

“Why? He saved Father’s life.”

“He just bothers me.” Adolin shrugged. “There’s something about him that is off, Renarin. That makes me suspicious.”

“I think you don’t like that he ordered you around, on the battlefield.”

“I barely even remember that,” Adolin said lightly, stepping toward the door out.

Well, all right then. Off with you. And Brother?”

I always interpreted this scene as Renarin merely wanting to check things out with Adolin. It has been stated often enough in the books Renarin was the only one who truly knew Adolin, deep down, so it made sense for him to warn his brother not to try to lie to him, as he could always tell. I also figured, at the time, Adolin probably was a very poor liar and someone knowing him too well, such as Renarin, would be able to see the signs of nervousness around around him others would miss. 

What if there is more? Renarin does sound keen on being able to tell the truth and he does ends the exchange by being satisfied with his brother's answers. It isn't much, really, but when I compare it to Stump taking similar actions with the kids... it does seem... quite like perhaps the same thing. 

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...