The Great Domains [AU spoiler]

skaa

I think there's a problem about the Elantris-map as a whole: it's at least partly a "HIC SUNT DRACONES"-kind of map: we have no idea what is to the west of Arelon - and I am pretty sure there won't be any marcant topografcal borders, such as mountains or oceans - or they would be likely "coded" into AonDor.

The Fjordellian map shows mountains, but these mountains marc half of the western edge of the map from "ROSE BARBARIANS?" down to duladel and may be painted there only for design purposes. So, to the west we have...emptiness. Edge of map. Ignorance, probably willfull ignorance.

To the south we have a strangely big desert. A third (or fourth, fourty-fourth) empire to the south is at least possible.

East is just as bad. we see Fjordell does not even take it's parts east of Geant on the map... if the cartographers ignore that part, they can ignore everything behind it even easier.

The worst direction is north: they painte the title of the map in an uneccessary big box to hide more than a half of a continent that's right in front of them. Parts of it even almost touch the Svordish cost and the northern Fjordellian peninisulas. This parts are ven nearer to Fjorden than Teod...they are even nearer than Hrovell. And are ignored. The northern continent is big, and I'm also sure, that it can contain at least around five or six of Arelon-/Teod-level kingdoms in addition to the Rose Empire.

I guess that is to make the interpretation about the Fjordellian "conquer-the-worl-and-Jaddeth-will-return"-mission easier. If you paint the world small, you don't have so much work to do. What i don't understand is why everybody else seems okay with this - Teod, which could profit from trade with the Roseans and needs every help it can getr especially.

• Chaos locked this topic