Sentient Awakened Sword Commands

Elenion

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:38 AM, Jondesu said:

I think Deliver Justice would lead to the same issue as with Nightblood: no understanding of the concept of "justice".

I'd probably use "Be Sword".

Wouldn't surprise me if "Be Sword" was something very close to the Command used to make Azure's Blade.

On 12/9/2016 at 10:16 PM, WeiryWriter said:

If I were being altruistic, "Defend the Innocent". If I were being more pragmatic, "Destroy my enemies".

Same issue as Nightblood, there. What is innocence? Who are your enemies? Would it only work on the enemies you can picture at that exact time in your life, or can it grow and learn? What about if you're your own worst enemy?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

"Extend my Spirit"

The hope is that the Sword's consciousness (and possibly even any investiture it might capture, a la Nightblood) would become interwoven with my own and that it would be inextricably bound to me (excepting via Hemalurgical removal or death, of course).

If the sword were to parasitically consume Investiture like Nightblood, then the basic hope is that anyone who took up the sword would be transformed into my puppet while they are holding the blade.  It would be extra awesome if any Investiture I can access (Breath only most likely, given spirit webs being keyed to types of Investiture and the fact that I would be from Nalthis if I were in the business of awakening metal objects) that might be consumed by this sword when held by others could be utilized by, or even better yet passed on to, me in some way. It would be the least the sword could do considering the cost of Breath to Awaken it (5th Heightening, here I come!).  Any Investiture I can't use directly could still be held by the sword, potentially enhancing its' ability to do what it does over time.  I'd have a sword that essentially collected enough Investiture for me to become pseudo-immortal and to power some serious awakening activities, and which would grow stronger in and of itself as we grew older.

If the sword does NOT consume Investiture a la Nightblood and I can handle it directly, then I'd hope that it would anticipate my motions and lend some serious strength and speed when deployed at the very least.

Edited by StarrFall

2 hours ago, Booknerd said:

I'm assuming I have unlimited breath cus this will use like 100,000. Learn and remember parries flourishes, blows swings and cuts, then in combat become an extension of my will and guild me to defend myself or attack as I see fit.

That sounds like Freyr's sword

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/11/2016 at 11:15 AM, Jondesu said:

I think that would be almost impossible to form as a mental command.  Too many possibilities.  Destroy Evil was already a tough command (I think intentionally to a degree, attempting to force as many Breaths into Nightblood as possible), but that one would probably fail.  Vasher's command to his cloak tassels was probably the most complex successful command we've actively seen, but it relied on having a very specific purpose.  Protect Me was closer, with the cloak, but that was still a fairly straightforward mental command (blocking anything coming at him that would hurt him).

ANY Sentient Awakened object will have some major issues - humans aren't created with a singular overriding drive. We choose to enact a changeable purpose, while Nightblood exists to do something it doesn't actually understand. "Become and extension of my will " actually seems like a very reasonable command: presumably, this sword would be able to read minds and so can understand your will. It probably will also create an implicit obedience. The only problems I see are A) is "my" the creator or whoever happens to wield it? And B) the physical limitations of a sword. There are a lot of things people want to do where a sword is useless. How would this sword deal with that?

Regarding Nightblood, it "cannot tempt the hearts of men who are pure". This is a very interesting statement, and I constantly wonder what the hell it means - what are the qualifications for "purity"? Is it some sort of moral goodness, in which case Nightblood is inadvertantly tapping into some kind of universal moral truth. 

I'm inclined to think that this is a heurism or misunderstanding on Vasher's part. It's a vague, unscientific statement he makes regarding a topic he almost invariably discusses in academic terms. 

On 12/17/2019 at 9:12 PM, Booknerd said:

I'm assuming I have unlimited breath cus this will use like 100,000. Learn and remember parries flourishes, blows swings and cuts, then in combat become an extension of my will and guild me to defend myself or attack as I see fit.

Why not just say.  Learn combat and guide my will?

Why not "Steal their investiture and grant me that which I desire"?

Edited by Ookla the Prolific