Sentient Awakened Sword Commands

Elenion

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 4:25 PM, Stormblessed144 said:

How about "Upon call, become as fire and burn that which is not me?" Gives you a fire sword at will.

Also: "Upon call, become as light and blind those who are not me."

I'm not sure those would be feasible, mostly because fire and light don't particularly care who they touch. The sword itself might not touch you with the fire, but fire jumps with wind, which could be bad. And light is light, which should be pretty self explanatory. Unless your "light" command is on an object that can direct the light someway(difference between a flashlight and a lantern)

There's also the viability of creating fire, light, shadow, or electricity. I'm not solidly versed on Awakening, but I'm not sure you can just convert things into those. If you had the sword coated in a flammable material though... hrmm.. (Anyone else want to put in their 2 cents on this?)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:04 AM, Spoolofwhool said:

You could awaken a stick to a shardblade-level object if you wanted. Would be easier in fact since you wouldn't need the breath to get to the heighening necessary to awaken steel.

I saw this and realized the potential.

So, simply awaken a wooden sword with the command "Be a sword" that someone suggested earlier, and you've made yourself a shardblade level weapon relatively cheaply.

Edited by Benjamin_Stormblessed

Severe Mind and Body -- As a Realmatically aware Templar, I would create a sword to destroy things in both the Physical and Cognitive realms. The visualization for this Command is simply the sword passing through an object - in either the Cognitive or Physical realm - and destroying the Physical and Cognitive aspects of it.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a special property of Lifeless where they'd accept additional commands later.. We don't know if it would even work on awakening a sword, and if so, it'd probably take a  whole lot of breaths. Or you would have to visualize every single thing you might command it to do when saying Obey Me. Or both.

• 1 month later...

Would it possible to make a more use specific Type 4 weapon?  Perhaps a command of "Destroy Fused" while holding on to a mental concept of what a Fused is?  Or simply "Destroy enemies" with a concept of Thunderclasts, Fused etc?  This may help the sword "understand" better.  The problem with Destroy Evil has been, Nightblood doesn't know what evil is.  The mind of a Type 4 doesn't grow over time like a person.  NB's understanding of evil is static and only as complete as the command when given.  I would like to make the command more mentally descriptive of what constitutes evil or an enemy.  

On 3/31/2018 at 3:04 PM, Augustine said:

The mind of a Type 4 doesn't grow over time like a person.

They can learn, but they cannot overwrite the earliest memories.

Ben Sanobi ;) (Brandon Sanderson)
Nightblood was interesting to write in this book as he makes a very nice contrast to Vasher. Vasher doesn't want to say anything about his past; he's so tight-lipped about it that he rarely even spends any time thinking about it. Nightblood, however, dwells quite heavily on the past. Though in some ways his mind is very capable, he has the quirk of being an Awakened object. The first hours of his life—during which time he met Shashara, Denth, and Vasher—imprinted heavily on him. It's like . . . a part of his mind is hard forged in that moment with read-only memory that cannot be changed. Much of him can learn and grow, despite what Vasher says, but he cannot overwrite those initial concepts, states, and understandings that were burned into him during his birth. Shashara was alive then, so he will always think of her as alive, even if thousands of years have passed. Denth will always be pleased with him. Vasher will always be friends with the other two. Those things were some of Nightblood's first impressions.

Also, good lord some of these April Fools names for Brandon on Arcanum.... B-Sand, Basil Sansansonson, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Random Reader said:

Would giving the sword an order of "Destroy Odium" give it any extra power against him?

I guess that commanding Nightblood to destroy evil gave it special effects that not all awakened swords would have, so maybe specificity does have effect..

Then again maybe not, I mean he doesnt destroy evil so much as he destroys everything except shardblades and aluminium.

"Destroy aluminium"

Mine would probably be "Defend me when I cannot." Just for the sake of if I'm using a sword I'd want to be skilled at it, but if I ever become incapacitated or unable to protect myself I'd want my sword to do that. 

Still I'd want a sword with the command "Destroy evil"

Spoiler

Nightblood as a sword is so powerful and can do many things so the vagueness of the command would allow for multiple uses. Also, Nightblood. Just Nightblood. 

Edited by FeruchemicalBreath

"Would you like to destroy some aluminium today?"

"For the thousandth time no!"

"WHY AM I ALIVE!"

"Honestly I got the breaths and wanted to play around, I thought I could call them back. And then I had to waste the rest of my breaths making this stupid sheath that can hold you"

Sheath: "Dude! I'm right here!"

But seriously, you wouldnt describe Nightblood as a sword that cuts through evil things but is normal in every other manner. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...