Something Darkness Said..

shadowwisp

Anyone else pickup on this? Any thoughts or speculations? 

“I who have lived immortal lives? I who have slain demigods and survived Desolations? I am the Herald of Justice.”

Demigods? What do you think Nale is referring to? Possible in-fighting among Heralds? Or does Odium have his own set of Heralds? 

Or was Nale mistakenly referring to Vasher? "Mistakenly" in the sense that Vasher is still alive. 

Honor splintered and created loads of extra spren. Perhaps Nale sees the Nahel Bond as some kind of Symbiotic relationship. Man & Spren could be semi-godlike if you looked at it in a certain light. He may be referring to past hunting trips against proto-radiants.
It's my justification for his plurality of "demigods"

Maybe. You could make an argument for Radiants being demigods (though I find that somewhat dubious), but only because they are humans bonded with Splinters, and we have an example, in the Returned, of a Splinter/human bond producing something that could accurately be called a demigod. That, however, is a bond where the human and Splinter essentially become one being. On the other end of the spectrum, we have the Splinter/human bond on Sel, where non-Elantrians bonded to seons are certainly not demigods. Radiants seem to be somewhere in between. Nalan's state of mind being what it is, it might be valid to interpret the things he says in a lot of different ways, but I would wager that he understands the workings of the Cosmere well enough that he himself would not call a Radiant a demigod.

Do we know if Nale has spent all of the time between the last Desolation and the current time on Roshar?  I could see Returned (at least the Hallandren Gods) being considered Demigods, or perhaps other characters on other planets, if he's worldhopped at all.  In fact, could that be connected to why Vasher is on Roshar, and why Nale has Nightblood?

I would say that Listeners bonding with really big spren, like the Unmade, might well put them into demigod territory. Honestly, though, I think that anytime the Unmade bond with anything, one might well consider that a demigod. I think that is probably what Nalan was referring to. See, for example, Dalinar's Purelake Highstorm vision. I think that Nalan was talking about something like that (except probably even more extreme, and I think that we can all agree that we have not yet seen what the apogee of a Desolation yields).

On 25/11/2016 at 3:25 PM, Jondesu said:

Do we know if Nale has spent all of the time between the last Desolation and the current time on Roshar?  I could see Returned (at least the Hallandren Gods) being considered Demigods, or perhaps other characters on other planets, if he's worldhopped at all.  In fact, could that be connected to why Vasher is on Roshar, and why Nale has Nightblood?

There is a WoB that says they haven't left the Greater Roshar system since then as they are bound to it. 

5 hours ago, Weltall said:

My money is on his talking about the Unmade; what little we know of them sounds like they could fairly be called demigods by someone with Nale's perspective, or indeed by most people in Roshar generally.

Agreed. To a Herald, "demigod" would mean a powerful Splinter (or the other Heralds, and I wouldn't put it past Nale to judge one of the other 8 and take action.)

OR we could put on our super-thick tinfoil here and say that he's talking about Honor and that he and the other Heralds were somehow (or feel somehow) responsible for his destruction...

5 hours ago, Zmann966 said:

Agreed. To a Herald, "demigod" would mean a powerful Splinter (or the other Heralds, and I wouldn't put it past Nale to judge one of the other 8 and take action.)

OR we could put on our super-thick tinfoil here and say that he's talking about Honor and that he and the other Heralds were somehow (or feel somehow) responsible for his destruction...

Yeah, probably a powerful splinter of some kind is my guess, though honestly I would not be surprised in the least if he's killed other Heralds.  Of course, since they have a history of coming back, that sort of makes it a moot point unless they just dueled to the death for kicks one time or something.

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2016 at 9:12 AM, shadowwisp said:

“I who have lived immortal lives? I who have slain demigods and survived Desolations? I am the Herald of Justice.”

No idea if this has any proper relevance, but I found this WoB while looking for something else.

What's the other god in Scadrial...Trell… or whatnot... [...] mentioning him, are there other really powerful beings out there that aren't related to the Shards?

Brandon Sanderson

There are possibly really powerful beings, but… how should we say. [long pause] I mean...There are those who would call Hoid a really powerful being, who exist outside Shards, but if you're talking deific level things in the Cosmere, they're all related to the Shards. Or demigod level.

Emphasis added. Of additional note is this WoB is from April 23 of 2016. Edgedancer came out in Arcanum unbounded only 7 months later in November. I wouldn't put it past him to have been finishing up on Edgedancer around that time. Perhaps there is something here

• 1 month later...

For BS to say demigod level... That's interesting.  Mentioned them right next to shard bearers... And grouped them together, but called out that they have different levels.  Maybe Hoids quest is to go around the cosmos trying to get to demigod level... Knowing becoming a shard bearer means killing a shard, and taking it, and having it change you.  But demigod... It's also deific level, but a shard doesn't change who you are?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 7:10 PM, Zmann966 said:

Ironically, the Cosmere is a setting in which a hat made of "tinfoil" (it's really aluminum foil) can provide protection against mental manipulation.  (I'm sure Brandon did that intentionally.)

Edited by Yitzi2

21 hours ago, Yitzi2 said:

Ironically, the Cosmere is a setting in which a hat made of "tinfoil" (it's really aluminum foil) can provide protection against mental manipulation.  (I'm sure Brandon did that intentionally.)

Not at first, but once he cottoned onto the joke, he embraced it.  (I think it's in the Alloy of Law annotations somewhere)