[AU Spoilers] So much for Trell being Autonomy

PallonianFire

I thought for sure that Trell had picked up Autonomy from Bavadin in the intervening years. Seems that it is likely Bavadin no longer holds it (unless Brandon gender-swapped him), but Trell was most assuredly a man in the prose. So, basically, unless Brandon is gender-swapping a whole bunch of people in White Sand now, this one's debunked. But I still think (know from WoB) Trell from Taldain is a factor in the religions on Scadrial. He's just not a Shard.

Edited by PallonianFire

New word of Brandon on this is:

mistborn:

Bavadin has several male personas, and has often appeared as male for one purpose or another, so it's not that much of an issue. She has more female personas, but some of the male ones are quite popular.

This won't be relevant for a long while, but as a service to the community, let me say this: try not to get too hung up on gender, race, or even human appearance where Bavadin is concerned. There are some peoples who worship entire pantheons where every member is actually her.

So it seems like no one has offed Bavadin and taken Autonomy....

14 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

That WoB has groundbreaking implications. It definitely reopens the door for the Trell we see in the prose to be Trell, the Shard...and also be one of Bavadin's personae. Basically, it allows for Bavadin to have been screwing with Scadrial since before the LR Ascended.

I am not certain that the Trell we see in the WH prose is Bavadin's incarnation.   I do recall noticing the name when reading and wondering whether it was a case of foreshadowing, or whether it was a name Brandon liked and gave a new meaning to in the Wax and Wayne stories. The comic will tell - the episode Trell appears in is kinda important for in-story purposes, so when the narrative gets to it, we'll see if the foreman is still named Trell, or something else.

I do agree with your other observation. It appears that Brandon has decided to Lift (pun intended) the veil on Bavadin with the publication of UA. I've just been re-reading the whole "Trell in Prose" discussion in a separate thread on this forum and the conversation about how Bavadin "rules" her world now comes out in a whole new light.

8 minutes ago, emailanimal said:

I am not certain that the Trell we see in the WH prose is Bavadin's incarnation.   I do recall noticing the name when reading and wondering whether it was a case of foreshadowing, or whether it was a name Brandon liked and gave a new meaning to in the Wax and Wayne stories. The comic will tell - the episode Trell appears in is kinda important for in-story purposes, so when the narrative gets to it, we'll see if the foreman is still named Trell, or something else.

I got a WoB from Brandon years ago that that Trell was connected to the religions on Scadrial. So he's definitely important, and that connection was the basis for my firm conviction that Trell in Era 2 is Autonomy.

1 hour ago, PallonianFire said:

I got a WoB from Brandon years ago that that Trell was connected to the religions on Scadrial. So he's definitely important, and that connection was the basis for my firm conviction that Trell in Era 2 is Autonomy.

My working theory then is that we are seeing a (future) worldhopper who becomes a "prophet" of whatever it is Bavadin wants a portion of the population on Scadrial to worship.

I see a lot of parallels between Trell-the-old-Scadrial-religion and Taldain as the place of origin: the whole Day/Night duality that makes total sense in the context of Taldain's Dark Side, but much less so on Scadrial. The second description of Trell in the books introduces the elements of autonomy... 

So, two challenges: what the heck? and how the heck?

For what the heck, I believe the new idea is that Bavadin is not above setting multiple religions custom-tailored for subsets of the population that directly contradict each other, or are in direct confrontation with each other. For example, it is relatively clear from the comic (spot the reference kind of clear!) that the Sun god is Bavadin. But sand mastery comes from Bavadin's Investiture, and clearly, there are some other ways in which she affects the Darksiders.  

The how the heck? refers to the mechanism of Trell-the-forman becoming associated with Trell-the-Scadrial-religion. Wild guesswork here, but (a) worldhopping, (b) grooming by Bavadin.  The appearance of Trell is very consistent with how Brandon hides worldhoppers in plain sight in other books, NOT with how he treats a future Shard Vessel.

There is also the "why the heck?" question, and I dare not speculate. It appears that Autonomy for one reason or another wants to a have a LOT of religions it influences rather than THE ONE MONOLITHIC CULT any other self-respecting deity would go for.  Can we fit this pattern with the Intent of Autonomy?

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2016 at 1:00 AM, emailanimal said:

There is also the "why the heck?" question, and I dare not speculate. It appears that Autonomy for one reason or another wants to a have a LOT of religions it influences rather than THE ONE MONOLITHIC CULT any other self-respecting deity would go for.  Can we fit this pattern with the Intent of Autonomy?

I think so. As many paths as possible, pick your own way. Let your belief be autonomous from the belief of others maybe?

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2016 at 9:00 AM, PallonianFire said:

I thought for sure that Trell had picked up Autonomy from Bavadin in the intervening years. Seems that it is likely Bavadin no longer holds it (unless Brandon gender-swapped him), but Trell was most assuredly a man in the prose. So, basically, unless Brandon is gender-swapping a whole bunch of people in White Sand now, this one's debunked. But I still think (know from WoB) Trell from Taldain is a factor in the religions on Scadrial. He's just not a Shard.

I believe that, because this is a draft, many of the things in here are either mistakes, or he edited the graphic novel