White Sand

Jofwu

So I finally got around to reading White Sand Vol. 1.  Then I hopped onto Coppermind out of curiousity... only to discover that there's almost nothing written about it. The series isn't even listed on the Editor's Corner page. I started work on the chapter summaries and would like to fill in more if I can. I've got three questions:

First, I know there are a lot of guides and such for creating and editing articles. I need to work through those. Is there anything I need to read ASAP? And is there anything I should know that isn't very obviously linked on Coppermind?

Second is how long do I have to put up with the CAPTCHA? Is that step something I have to go through with EVERY single edit? Or do editors get more leeway eventually?

Third is more specific. I put together a little "White Sand" symbol (below) to be used on WS pages (same way there's one for Mistborn, SA, Elantris, etc.). How do I upload that and display it at the top of WS pages? Is it something I am able to do?

White Sand 2.png

Edited by jofwu

Hey, thanks for your interest jofwu. I agree, the White Sand articles are in a pretty sorry state currently. There's a lot of reasons for that, one being that it's a fairly recent release. We also only have a handful of dedicated editors, all of which have jobs and lives and school outside of this, so it takes a long time to get anything done. And thirdly, White Sand as a graphic novel is much harder to search through for facts and information than a traditional book. We have to describe images ourselves rather than rephrasing Brandon's written descriptions.

The only thing that I would say is pretty important is citation. When you add facts about White Sand make sure you cite them. Our citation tag is in this format {{book ref|book|chapter}}. So if you wanted to cite Chapter two of White Sand it would appear as {{book ref|white sand|two}} This currently makes a redlink as there's no summary for White Sand, but that's fine. If something's not working or its too much trouble let us know.

I'm not sure about the whole CAPTCHA thing. Do you have a profile on the wiki? We've had some spam problems in the past which we managed to take care of for now, but I can't recall if regular people on the wiki always have a CAPTCHA or not.

As for your image, I appreciate the work you put in for that, but we use pretty specific image types for those icons. As far as I'm aware we use SVGs pretty exclusively for those as they are easily resizeable. Some staff member who knows more about image file types feel free to correct me. I believe a lot of those icons are going to be changing soon anyway, as we make them match the symbols from Arcanum Unbounded.

Thanks so much for wanting to help out on the wiki, we always need more volunteers! Do you have any more questions?

Yeah, I can certainly see why it's not up to date. On top of everything else it seems to receive less attention from fans- due to the medium, I presume.

It looks like a citation for White Sand Vol. 1 would actually use "ws1" rather than "white sand". Is that correct? Presumably that will link to the summaries I've been working on?

Regarding CAPTCHA... Whenever I want to edit a page, I am required to check an "I am not a robot" box and solve a CAPTCHA (something like "click on all the images that show street signs") in order to save my edits. It's pretty annoying to do, especially for minor edits. Good question about a profile... I did create one, but apparently I got signed out somehow before making my edits yesterday. Unfortunately, it seems I have the same requirement even when signed in. I made a minor edit just to make sure it wasn't a one-time thing for a new user. Doesn't seem to have helped. My guess would be that it's set up to require a certain number of edits (or some other criteria) before no longer requiring it? Or maybe it's required of all users besides staff? Anyways, it's not the end of the world... Just an obnoxious hurdle, so I was curious if there's a way around it!

Quick questions regarding user pages... Doesn't seem like I'm able to create/edit mine (definitely signed in). Just says "There is currently no text in this page" and "you do not have permission to create this page." Another thing that doesn't particularly matter, but I'm curious how I can get into that.

Lastly, I'm curious if its possible for normal editors to make any changes concerning Categories? Or more specifically, the tables/lists that show up at the bottom of pages? Say WS Vol 2 releases and introduces some new city that ought to be added under White Sand Places. I assume that's something only the admins can do?

Thanks for clearing some things up for me! And I'm glad to help out.

So I just updated your user permissions so you shouldn't have to deal with a CAPTCHA any more and you should be able to create pages (I think). There's a manual setting we have to change which we forget about until somebody points it out.

It is totally possible for normal editors to update navboxes, but we do prefer categories to be up to admins (if you notice something that should be changed with them just let one of us know and we'll discuss it).

And yeah it would be something like {{book ref|ws1|2}} for references.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Coppermind:White_Sand for ya

also maybe @Botanica can help with making it easier to search through

now that you have the extra permissions you should be able to upload the icon (and maybe the others from Arcanum) and stitch them into the right places. They are declared in the series template above the {{{cats}}} line, see the {{stormlight}} template for reference. 

@Joe ST I've got some questions about marking things as "stub", "partially complete", and "nearing completion".

Is {{complete}} to be used when is updated with all that we know "right now" or should that tag be saved until we are relatively certain there will be no future changes or content? Say I've updated the Baon article with everything we know. Can I mark it complete, or should I leave it as partially complete until White Sand volume 3 is out?

And that's my second question. I assume I'm free to use these tags as I see fit? No reason I can't change the tags that are currently in place? Some of them seem outdated to me.

if you've read through the article and think everything that could possibly be said is there, change it to {{complete}}. {{stub}} has an obvious lower bound and a subjective upper bound before becoming either {{good}} or {{partial}} ... which I can't quite remember the difference between right now. most articles go {{stub}} -> {{partial}} -> {{complete}} because we only reintroduced the idea of {{good}} recently but I've forgotten why XD. you should feel free to update them but we might revert your changes fairly quickly? but yeah they're all applied vaguely and subjectively but ?