New character in Edgedancer [Edgedancer Spoilers]

WeeDunadan

In rereading WoK, looking for interesting mentions of cremlings, I found this.

Chapter 22 

“Stormfather!”

“No, I’m Wit. But I understand how easy a mistake that is to make.”

“Because you blow so much air,” Dalinar growled, “or because you make so much noise?”

A wide smile split Wit’s face. “Why, Dalinar! I’m impressed! Maybe I should make you Wit! Then I could be a highprince instead.” He stopped. “No, that would be bad. I’d go mad after a mere second of listening to them, then would likely slaughter the lot. Perhaps appoint cremlings in their places. The kingdom would undoubtedly fare better.”

Don't know the significance, except that I'm sure Hoid knows of the Sleepless.

46 minutes ago, Jaconis said:

Chapter 22 

A couple of things. Hoid does know about the Sleepless - Brandon not only confirmed that the cremling he is appearing to have a conversation with in the Words of Radiance epilogue is, in fact, a hordeling, and that Hoid knows that. 

This being said, I don't think he was making a reference to that in your quote (though it's certainly possible). Given his Wit persona, I think he was just taking a stab at the other highprinces by comparing them (unfavorably) to cremlings.

On 06/12/2016 at 7:46 PM, Ciridae said:

What kind of bothers me is that they are watching Szeth. Why? He isn't a budding Radiant like the others. Yeah he's been making a lot of noise across all of Roshar but why would the Sleepless lump him together with the other Radiants? It seems like they would know about him being Truthless and his Oathstone and probably that he has an Honorblade if they've been watching him.

So either they really do think he's a Radiant if they don't know he has the Honorblade or they think he may redeem/destoy them because of something non-Radiant related.

Or he is actually in the process of becoming a Skybreaker. Or since he appears to have bonded with Nightblood and is leaving holographic echos behind, he has become the first and only member of the Evilstabbers

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2016 at 10:45 PM, ZenBossanova said:

I really wonder if Larkins were what was scoured in Aimia. And if they will be significant to the Aimians. 

Interesting thought, if a larkin was part of a Sleepless, that would give them the power to deinvest any Radiant. Maybe that's part of how the two Skybreakers were killed so easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah...I thought about this. Admittedly not the part about deinvesting radiants, but I was wondering if a Larkin being part of a horde would allow the sleepless to somehow use storm light? The whole "ancient magics returned" quote from the back cover springs to mind...

maybe by having a Larkin as part of their body, a sleepless can use investiture, but they can only get it from a surgebinder, not from highstorms or gemstones...making them investiture parasites, or symbiotes, depending on how polite they are.  

This would be a reason why they may be regaining access to powers previously lost. With no surgebinders around to draw from, they would have no source of investiture. Now that the Knights radiant are returning, so can their magics.

if this is the case...I would bet that our two fledgling sky breakers may not be dead...and have a grim fate awaiting them. (Hence the cocooning)

it would also be a good reason for them to work alongside the Knights radiant...access to magical powers, and all they have to do is ask...

i know this all pretty thin...just spitballing...

Edited by hoidhunter

On 08/12/2016 at 4:38 PM, Argent said:

A couple of things. Hoid does know about the Sleepless - Brandon not only confirmed that the cremling he is appearing to have a conversation with in the Words of Radiance epilogue is, in fact, a hordeling, and that Hoid knows that.

Is there a WOB for this? I'd love to see it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a question about the Sleepless that I planned to ask Brandon at the next signing, but the more I think about it the more I feel I know the likely answer. So I've deprioritized it to my backup list, pending your feedback. If you disagree with my reasoning, or think it is likely to generate an interesting answer rather than a RAFO, I could probably be convinced to move it back up.

Brandon has said that the Sleepless were inspired, in part, by the Tines from Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep. I'm wondering how similar they are.

If you aren't familiar with Vinge's story, Tines are canine-like creatures that come together to form packs with a single consciousness. Packs usually have 5 or 6 members, and while those packs tend to be stable, there is very little barrier to changing the composition of a pack. (Doing so changes the identity and personality of the individual, and can be traumatic, but biologically speaking almost any group could come together to form a mind.) Intra-pack communication is via ultrasonic "thought sounds" that, as high frequency sounds, have limited range. So a pack can't spread outside of hearing distance of its individual members, and two packs will have a very hard time being close to each other because their thought sounds start to overlap and confuse each other.

My questions, then, are:

1. Is horde membership fluid? That is, could a Sleepless incorporate other wild cremlings into its consciousness, or exchange hordlings with another Sleepless?
    Presumed answer: NO. We don't have enough information to know, but my impression from Arclo's comments in Edgedancer is that horde membership is an intrinsic quality of each cremling, rather than the result of a (potentially transient) cognitive connection.
  2. Do Sleepless have difficulty being near each other and/or intermingling? 
    Presumed answer: YES. I imagine that the intra-horde communication is happening in the cognitive realm, and that a horde is a single cognitive entity. We see the hordelings avoid Wyndle and snap at him, suggesting that they are uncomfortable having another cognitive being in among them. I suspect that this applies to other hordes as well, and that Sleepless tend to be solitary as a result.

On November 30, 2016 at 0:45 PM, Demiandre said:

For me nonetheless, both points toward Cultivation watching over proto-radiants. And she seems to have a few ways to do so.

So if Cultivation is starting to take a more direct role(kind of) involving the KR, what if she ended up replacing Honor as the leader(kind of), or something like that? Does anyone else think this is possible?

@ccstat But would lift not see something funky about the cremlings/ Arclo?

I really like the theory but I feel that our little Radiant would have noticed more about the Cremlings than just the area variance?

Crazy Side theory, The Larkins are the brain of the sleepless, who fled to Great shells to survive the Scouring.  Nale has one captive and is using it as a tool.

Which means our favorite merchant girl is going to become an insect hive mind.

Edited by Itchy Savant

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 0:19 PM, Itchy Savant said:

@ccstat But would lift not see something funky about the cremlings/ Arclo?

I really like the theory but I feel that our little Radiant would have noticed more about the Cremlings than just the area variance?

That's a great point I hadn't considered. I think it is something worthy of asking Brandon about. I didn't end up asking any of my Sleepless questions at Boskone this weekend, so I will save them for another opportunity (or just hope we learn more in Oathbringer).

On 12/8/2016 at 1:48 PM, Jaconis said:

Chapter 22 

He was speaking to one during the WOR Epilogue. Talking to the cremling about not having an intelligent audience... ;)

• Chaos locked this topic