Not at all, Elbereth! Perhaps my approach relies on other people also being active, but I can watch for tells without knowing what they are yet (people picked up quickly on my slipup in the last QF game, after all), while still RPing and contributing game discussion (I have been so far, haven't I?). In fact, you're beginning to see like you're pushing pretty hard for me, which doesn't seem much out of character, but does get me worried. I'll be keeping an eye on you.

Your slip up was the move of an inexperienced, panicked eliminator. Not something that you're likely to do again, and certainly not something that most players in this game would do. :P Tells that easy aren't common, nor are they something that you should just sit back and wait for. (Meta, for instance, actively encourages that kind of slip-up, by pushing for people to see how they react.)

Yeah. That's basically the problem I have - your playstyle requires activity, and yet does nothing to encourage it. This isn't a horrible thing, to be clear - plenty of people are like that. It's just not terribly helpful to the group as a whole, in my opinion. 

Heh. Once upon a time, me pushing hard for anyone would've been way out of character. I'm kind of curious when that changed... Anyway. I'm not, really. I'm not any more suspicious of you as a result, or I would've dropped my vote on you instead. Which I considered doing, but I'm not seeing anything that makes me think eliminator. This is essentially a metagame-ish debate, not anything that's alignment indicative (except perhaps to say that there's a slightly lower likelihood for us two being eliminators together, maybe). And I'll be keeping an eye on you, as well. :P You're quite clever enough to warrant that. 

Thanks for the warning Wonko.

@polkinghornbd, just wanted to ping you so you'd see that I voted on you(in a previous post above that is).

I don't really think El was pushing hard for you Jondesu. I actually thought she might vote on you for that first non-RP post, tbh. El, funny you should say that you and Jondesu aren't likely to be elim teammates because I did actually have a paranoid thought that you and Jondesu could be elims together. Which probably means you're right and you aren't elim teammates because my paranoid theories tend to be wrong, sadly. >.< I do like making up convoluted plots though.

Lol, I get it, Lopen. I wish I was lucky enough to pull off being an Elim that often, but alas, I'm plain vanilla this game. 

El, I don't really know what else to say except to point out that I am active and encouraging discussion. Just not with poke votes.

Doc sighed as First of the Twilight  Twilight shouted at him to keep up or he'd be left behind. Yes, yes, some people were just so active. Grumbling, he adjusted his pack and tried to inject more energy into his feet. 

"'Something of substance' she says..." He muttered. "Something of more substance than me." He finally caught up with the faster-walking group ahead. "What does she want me to do, it's freaking day one" He sighed and took another quick sweep of the group assembled around him. Bossy Twilight, Sneaky Yazava, Link-with-his-head-in-the-air, Quiet Szeth and Sly Quintus. Looking at the group still dragging behind, his colleague Dr Breis was dragging his feet and excusing himself, and he caught a quick glance of his sister snoozing as she walked. What a wonderful group we make.

So...like I said, El, what am I supposed to say? I suppose I could throw another poke vote around, but now, with half of the players still not posting, and nothing much happening, I don't think there's much to say. Vanilla games are fun, but without roles and items, there are no strategies to discuss either. So nope, i don't think I have anything of substance to say, El, sorry to disappoint you :P.

Anyway, I guess I'll throw a poke vote at Echtelion. Hey Ecth, think you'll be as active here as in QF19?

Okay so first thought when reading the thread is that Jondesu is saying some dodgy stuff, but then if he is village then this would be his first time or something right? Which is annoying cause that's like an excuse for anything, so you're not allowed to use it :P As for poke votes, they suck. Just do a @whoever and then maybe try to contribute to the discussion, as a poke vote is mostly a way to look active by calling out others, but seeing as most poke votes this game have just been that with nothing else in the post, that's basically nothing.

Oh and also can't be bothered to do blue text cause mobile but I'm stuck on my phone for like another day and a bit so can't do super long posts in response to anything that could actually happen. And poke votes in the first like 5 hours of a game? Pointless for the most part.

My apologies, Alv. I am but human, and unfortunately do need to sleep occasionally...

Now, typically I start a game with a controversial comment, trying to create discussion. I'm very happy to see that others have already created that discussion, and frankly, am not sure what I can actually say that is controversial at this point...

I'm supportive of everyone presenting their positions on issues, even if they then don't vote - at least we can hold them to something.

In this spirit, and as I have very limited time before I need to start work, I'm going to agree with El that Jondesu appeared to be setting up a very passive position for himself.

Now, whether that actually tells us anything is another question - it would be brave to do so so openly in C1.

1 hour ago, OrlokTsubodai said:

Now, typically I start a game with a controversial comment, trying to create discussion. I'm very happy to see that others have already created that discussion, and frankly, am not sure what I can actually say that is controversial at this point...

While this may not be controversial as such, I still think people should be able to agree or disagree with the following :P

Basically, el's at the top of my suspicion list, but I don't have the time to say why yet. Anyway, this doesn't 'clear' jondesu or whatever, but I am suspicious of el and what she's done so far.

See ya.

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

STINK got my point exactly. Poke votes are nonsense; I can summon people to discuss without them, so I'll vote when it makes sense to me.

I agree. Using a "@" is much more effective since they'll get an actual notification from it. Poke voting basically does nothing. 

Hi, I'm here and thought I'd post, but work is busy, so I can't really do an analysis yet. I'll post again before the cycle is up with what I think. Regardless, I do better when there's data to analyze, and there isn't much to work with on day one.

No lol

okay I'll try to say stuff > Nothing much has been discussed till now - a few poke votes and discussion on @s and poke voting, a couple of suspicions thrown on El. But I'm not suspicious of anyone ATM, and therefore, have nothing to contribute to the thread as of now. Though I guess I'll do some RP before the Cycle ends :-P

I am here, and was earlier, but I didn't see anything I wanted to talk about, because only one person had commented, and I usually am not that proactive of an SE player.  I'm usually against 1st day lynches, but that's probably just my general inexperience.  If you remember, I actually won a game only posting once.  I won't be inactive, but my style is not to post all the time.

4 hours ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

No lol

okay I'll try to say stuff > Nothing much has been discussed till now - a few poke votes and discussion on @s and poke voting, a couple of suspicions thrown on El. But I'm not suspicious of anyone ATM, and therefore, have nothing to contribute to the thread as of now. Though I guess I'll do some RP before the Cycle ends :-P

Gee, thanks :P. I just thought that since you were on and posting in the LG, even if mostly just RP, why stay absolutely quiet here? :ph34r:

OrlokMagestar. How's your hand collection going?  Any chance of you increasing it this game?

Vote Tally:
Polking (1): Lopen
Doc (0): El
Orlok (0): Alv
Ec3 (1): Doc
Magestar (1): Alv

Non posters:
Rumberry (Ecthellion III)
This could also be you (Darkness Ascendant)
Sherlock (Magestar)
Nannyberry (JUQ)

Edited by Alvron

5 hours ago, polkinghornbd said:

I am here, and was earlier, but I didn't see anything I wanted to talk about, because only one person had commented, and I usually am not that proactive of an SE player.  I'm usually against 1st day lynches, but that's probably just my general inexperience.  If you remember, I actually won a game only posting once.  I won't be inactive, but my style is not to post all the time.

I really don't think that strategy is going to work in a game like this. Not only does not posting frequently actively help the eliminators - discussion being our only means of finding them, it also raises you in suspicion in my mind - posting infrequently is an excellent way to avoid attention. Most importantly, though, it goes against the spirit of this game. My understanding is that Hael is running this game with the specific aim of fostering increased discussion and debate among players.

Refusing to participate is not the way to do this.

Most of my available SE time is focused on LG28 right now, but I'll pop my head in to say that I don't like what poke votes have become these days, but once upon a time, they served a purpose.

The trouble is, what qualifies as 'active' has shifted in the meta. When they first became popular, poke votes were a tool to put pressure on relatively quiet player in order to force them to commit to some opinions. A modern poke vote, on the other hand, consists almost entirely of "hey, are you there?", to which we accept "yeah, I'm here" as a reasonable answer. That accomplishes nothing; posting without stating any opinions or stimulating discussion is not in any way more productive than total inactivity. So I encourage everyone to poke-vote away, but make sure you use them effectively, and don't release your target until they commit some solid opinions to the record.

To that end, Doc: What do you think about El's behavior this game? I personally feel that she is being distinctly more aggressive than usual. What are your opinions?

@Doctor12

I don't have great suspicions yet, this being day one and all, but El does seem to be behaving differently than usual. From her posts, it almost feels to me like El is super excited about something, and investing far more in the game than she initially planned to, so that speaks to me of her getting an interesting role. Since the only interesting roles around here are eliminators, I think I'm going to go with Elbereth for now.

I know it's a super weak argument, but that's all I really have right now. Day one lynches are, as stated, a stab in the dark hoping to hit an elim.

My thoughts on El? Hmm. Interesting. As El would know, I've always been wary of her, heh. The times she was aggressive, so to speak, was when she had a solid suspicion, eg:Wonko in MR17, me in QF19. So...to be lynch happy on day one does seem a little out of character for her. And throwing poke votes around? Well, I may not have been in many games with El, but I don't think I've seen her do it much.

And yet...if she is an eliminator, would she really have exposed herself so early? Still, it seems like a sudden bandwagon is forming on El, with Stink and Nyali voting on her, and Wonko being suspicious of her. I... @Elbereth, can you say something about this? 

Also, Wonko, I like your point about poke votes forcing discussion instead of an 'I'm here'. i was about to call you out for poke voting me after I've already posted, but your argument sufficiently convinced me. 

And @Ecthelion III, I'm keeping my vote on you as so far you still haven't contributed much to the discussion. Can I have your actual thoughts on STINK? Throw in what you think of Elbereth while you're at it. :)

Lastly, my eye is on @polkinghornbd because of what he said about his playstyle. As El said, this is not a game to not be proactive in :) Commit something!

If the description of my playstyle is suspicious, that goes hand in hand with all my other games.  I think I discussed it in detail in MG 11.  I'm sorry if you don't think it's good, and I agree, it's not a very good playstyle for SE, but it's how I am and I've been consistent with it.  At least, when I am active.

Which I hope to be.