14 hours ago, Landis963 said:

Emphasis mine:  It should be noted that Resonances only occur when one only has a small, non-one, non-zero number of powers, e.g. Mistborn and Full Feruchemists didn't have them, but Surgebinders do.  (Twinborn might also have them, but none of the onscreen examples thus far have had them on display yet)

I'm not sure what your point is, since I said the two powers are the two surges they have access to...

They don't have a surge for each of the Realms, they have 2 surges that can presumably be used in all the realms, but we don't even know how most of them function in the PR, let alone the other two.

20 hours ago, Landis963 said:

Emphasis mine:  It should be noted that Resonances only occur when one only has a small, non-one, non-zero number of powers, e.g. Mistborn and Full Feruchemists didn't have them, but Surgebinders do.  (Twinborn might also have them, but none of the onscreen examples thus far have had them on display yet)

Wasn't it theorized that Wax's incredibly good/lucky aim could have been his resonance? I agree it's not a super obvious thing and as far as I know there's no confirmation, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

11 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

Wasn't it theorized that Wax's incredibly good/lucky aim could have been his resonance? I agree it's not a super obvious thing and as far as I know there's no confirmation, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Considering how bad his aim was originally, and we know he's been a Twinborn all along, obviously, I doubt that particular theory. I think he does use his Steelsight for that, though.

Hm... To be honest we no so little about any possible resonances among twinborn (just that Khriss theorized that they might happen). I don't know how much we can speculate about those resonances (although I can tell you for sure that the steel bubble isn't a resonance; I recall seeing a WoB a month or so ago confirming that it is a product of steel savantism).

In regard to the radiants... For whatever reasons, their resonances seem to be more pronounced. Shallan's flawless memory, which is implied to be an ability of all lightweavers to some extent, seems to be a perfect example of a resonance at work. And we can know that it is a product of resonance because I don't think either elsecallers or truthwatchers, which shared single surges with the lightweavers, have access to this ability (they do have their own so far as I can tell though).

And, it probably goes without saying, these resonances do indeed have implications on all three realms. Given that resonances are probably a phenomenon that occurs within the spiritual realm, that sort of makes sense. Spiritual interactions can most certainly alter the cognitive and physical realms; we have seen this in action every time someone uses one of the cosmere's magic systems.

I also want to note that not all "powers" exhibited by the radiants are necessarily caused by the nahel bond. So far as I can tell, radiants tend to already by remarkable people before they ever speak their oaths. Each spren is attracted to people possessing certain traits. The nahel bond and subsequent resonance might amplify some of those traits. I believe that Kaladin's fighting may well be such a pre-existing ability, that the nahel bond may have somewhat exaggerated in him.

At any rate... There are still seven more stormlight archive books. Considering how much allomancy has developed in the Mistborn novels, I would be a little bit shocked if Sanderson wasn't currently keeping us (and his main characters) in the dark about a lot of powers associated with being a radiant. I guess that's part of why I made this thread.

Edited by Drake Marshall

Your point about their resonances being powerful/kinda obvious made me think that it is because you have 2 Surgebinding abilities. Maybe because they are similar, their resonance is more powerful. Twinborn come from two completely different manifestations, though, that work in very different ways, so maybe the resonance between powers is weaker. It may be stronger for compounders since they at least use the same metal, but that sounds like a moderate connection at best.

• 1 year later...
  • Chaos locked this topic