Farnsworth

So far, we've heard about 4 groups of worldhoppers. The Ire, which from Sel and was on Scadrial for a time, and is trying to get hold of preservation to give to a member (Secret History). The Seventeenth Shard, which is friends Frost and is chasing Hoid. There are the Ones Above who are extremely advanced and are giving information to First of the Sun which could be dangerous to the inhabitants. And finally, there is Silverlight, a group that went to first of the sun, is known to Khriss, and didn't return after going there. It could be related to the Ire. I feel like the Ire's goal is mostly selfish, because they tried to get a piece of a shard. Seventeenth Shard seems to be centered around an ideal of sorts. The Ones Above seem to be mostly mercantile, and Silverlight seems to be an exploring group. 

Are these groups working together? What is their goal? Do they know about eachother? Do they like eachother? How do they recruit members? How much do they know?

Edited by Figberts

What I know of the Ire is that they had a plot to take control of Preservation but were thwarted by Kelsier. They have a castle of some sort that exists entirely in the cognitive realm and technology advanced enough to use it to control a shard.

Simply the name of the Seventeenth Shard suggests that they know quite a bit about the Cosmere as a whole. They are opposed to Hoid, though all that is known of his goals is that he is trying to collect many different forms of investiture and that they are so important that he is willing to sacrifice worlds to accomplish them. There are plenty of theories about them, but not much in absolutes.

I only know enough of the Ones Above to say that have the technology to travel through space. At the very least they seem to be trying to explore different shardworlds, but their goals are unclear.

Silverlight has really only been barely mentioned and as of yet, so very, very little is known of them.

11 minutes ago, Patricksinger said:

I don't actually think the ones above are worldhoppers. It is pretty heavily implied that they are advanced humans using the metallic arts to travel faster then light. 

...to hop between worlds.

They may not travel the Cognitive, but I would all them worldhoppers!

As PallonianFire says, Silverlight is probably the worldhopper colony we've had mentioned a few months back, the so-called "Restaurant at the End of the Cosmere". It's probably less of a faction in itself, but rather a sort of hub where various independent worldhoppers such as Khriss or Zahel meet, relax between expedition, raise kids and so on. In this case, the "Silverlight expedition" is likely less of an organized effort by the colony's government (if there is any), and more of a bunch of worldhoppers meeting in the bar and going "hey, let's get some funds and go see this Drominad place!".

I wouldn't be surprised if Silverlight was the recruiting ground for other organizations, like Seventeenth Shard and the off-world branch of Ghostbloods. On the other hand, I'd guess Ire isn't connected with the "Restaurant" all that much, considering they're composed solely of Elantrians (and of course, that begs the question of just how old Silverlight/Restaurant is. It could very well be that it didn't exist back during Secret History).

16 hours ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

...to hop between worlds.

They may not travel the Cognitive, but I would all them worldhoppers!

I dont know. I've always had the definition of Worldhopper be someone who travels between shardworlds using the Cognitive realm. What I mean to say is that, to me anyway, a Worldhopper isnt just someone who can travel between planets, but someone who utilizes perpendicularities and the Cognitive Realm as their means of getting to those planets. Otherwise they're just astronauts.

Not to knock on astronauts. They're awesome too.

Another important thing to note about the Seventeenth Shard is their recruitment of many Important Characters from our stories. Capital-G Good Guys like Galladon and Demoux are members of the Seventeenth Shard, which lends credence to the idea that SS is empirically good. Remember, most of what we have learned about SS comes from Hoid, who is naturally predisposed to dislike them and slant our view of them.

Also important to note, there could be overlap in those groups. The Ones Above are called that by Sixth (iirc; I haven't read that one in awhile) while the Ire/SS/Silverlight expedition are referred to as such by only a few others. It could be that those called Ones Above on First of the Sun could be the same as the Silverlight expedition referred to by Khriss or SS members in the future. 

On 11/8/2016 at 3:37 PM, Figberts said:

Are they aware of each other? The a astronauts and the cognitive realm people?

Well Worldhoppers are almost definitely aware of the astronauts. Toss up if the astronauts are aware of the Worldhoppers. I would guess yes, with the tech they have, but they might not. Or they might just have a very limited understanding of what a worldhopper even is.

• Chaos locked this topic