Arcanum Unbounded Spoiler Policy

Pagerunner

What's the spoiler policy for AU information? Obviously, Secret History stays in its subforum for now. Will Edgedancer get a subforum of its own? All the other stories, I assume are fair game, since they've been published before.

But what about the essays? Their content appears to be glorious, glorious WoB-esque infodumps, not stories. There's no spoiler policy for WoB's; do they fall under that umbrella? If they are treated like stories, will they only be publically discussable in Cosmere Theories, or will a sub-forum for the essays be created anywhere? (Basically, the essays are our first release of new encyclopedic text, and I wonder if a more lax approach could be appropriate since there are no plot points to spoil.)

With the Drominad essay out, I realize we need to codify this. I had thought I had some more time to write it out. I'm at work at the moment but I'll give you the short version.

There will be an Edgedancer subforum and it will act much as Secret History did. 

That's the easy part, now for the essays. I have personally advocated within the staff that we do not use a subforum of Cosmere Theories for this. That is because there will probably be relevant info for a lot of theories, so it doesn't make sense to split it out. 

However, we are going to require topics on that to have a tag like [Arcanum Unbounded Spoilers] and also to avoid spoilers in topic titles. I think that's a pretty good compromise. They do act a lot like WoB so as you say this is sensible to not use a subforum.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this plan where we don't use a subforum for essay spoilers, and if the result is positive I'll get a specific policy post done soon.

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this plan where we don't use a subforum for essay spoilers, and if the result is positive I'll get a specific policy post done soon.

I like this. The WoB comparison is an apt one.

7 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Sounds good. Quick question though: I'm still new and was wondering how long a book needs to be out to discuss spoilers without adding a tag on it? I noticed Bands of Morning still has a spoiler board and its been out almost a year. 

The stated target is usually a 6-month period where a new book has its own forum. In practice, that can be a little bit longer; you'll want to wait until the subforum has been merged to openly discuss it. (And, don't forget, discussing a book in another series' forum always requires a spoiler tag.)

3 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

The stated target is usually a 6-month period where a new book has its own forum. In practice, that can be a little bit longer; you'll want to wait until the subforum has been merged to openly discuss it. (And, don't forget, discussing a book in another series' forum always requires a spoiler tag.)

Thanks for the clarification :)

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Sounds good. Quick question though: I'm still new and was wondering how long a book needs to be out to discuss spoilers without adding a tag on it? I noticed Bands of Morning still has a spoiler board and its been out almost a year. 

That is purely because I am terrible admin and I haven't merged those back. I have a lot of demands on my time, unfortunately. Normally it is 6-9 months. This weekend (knock on wood) I am hoping to merge things.

There's really no excuse there; it's quite easy to do in this system. Sorry for the confusion. I will endeavor to be more on top of things in that regard.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

The [Arcanum Unbounded Spoilers] tag that has been appended to topics makes the title too long; I can't see what the topic is about on the forum homepage. [Arcanum Spoilers] or [AU Spoilers] might be a better tag.

Agree on the policy, though. Exactly what I was thinking.

1 minute ago, Pagerunner said:

The [Arcanum Unbounded Spoilers] tag that has been appended to topics makes the title too long; I can't see what the topic is about on the forum homepage. [Arcanum Spoilers] or [AU Spoilers] might be a better tag.

Agree on the policy, though. Exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah I agree, I was just kind of going quickly through it because I only had five minutes to write down my thoughts. I'm going with AU Spoilers. I should get that codified in a topic today or tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

So when will we be able to start talking about this? I've just finished reading Edgedancer and the essays, so I'm now pretty eager to start discussing this.

Rub it in, why don't ya!

Chaos said above that Edgedancer will get a subforum like Secret History, but it hasn't been created yet. I'd suggest waiting until street date, which is Tuesday the 22nd; whoever you purchased your copy from gave it out a little early, since the book hasn't officially been released yet.

18 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@BlackYetiI'm new around here but its my understanding that you can start now. Post under the Stormlight Archive section and make it a spoiler thread. A administrator will merge it into the official Edgedancer thread when it is created. Hope this helps!

The threads that have been started already are about information from previews that have been officially released.

3 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

So when will we be able to start talking about this? I've just finished reading Edgedancer and the essays, so I'm now pretty eager to start discussing this.

You will not be able to discuss things unless they are explicitly released until Tuesday. 

Tsk tsk bookstores breaking street date!