[Arcanum Unbounded Spoilers] The world inhabited solely by...

Landis963

Tor.com has, as part of the marketing for Arcanum Unbounded, released the essay (either in whole or in part is not clear) for the "Drominad System" (Otherwise known as the system where Sixth of the Dusk takes place).  However, when discussing Drominad's record 3 human societies, Khriss drops this bombshell: "only the Rosharan system can rival it, and there one of the planets is inhabited solely by Splinters."  

Roshar obviously has humans on it, so that's out.  If "The Silence Divine" remains canon in some form, then humans are present as well, so that's out.  So therefore, the only remaining relevant planet in the Rosharan System is Braize.  

Discuss.  

We've been discussing the Drominad info over in this thread.

But, yeah, I came to the same conclusion about Braize, but there are more planets with non-sentient life in the Rosharan system. So, it possibly could be referring to one of those, a planet inhabited by non-sentient spren. But we'll know for sure when the book comes out.

The piece of cosmere-wide info I found more relevant was how minor Shardworlds are inaccessible to worldhopping, with First of the Sun being the exception, not the norm. I was wondering why anyone would even need to develop space travel, if they could worldhop - but, apparently worldhopping is limited to several worlds, so to reach the entire Cosmere they'd need to go there the 'old-fashioned way.' (Space travel. The way we the readers typically envision travel between planets.)

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

The piece of cosmere-wide info I found more relevant was how minor Shardworlds are inaccessible to worldhopping, with First of the Sun being the exception, not the norm. I was wondering why anyone would even need to develop space travel, if they could worldhop - but, apparently worldhopping is limited to several worlds, so to reach the entire Cosmere they'd need to go there the 'old-fashioned way.' (Space travel. The way we the readers typically envision travel between planets.)

Well, it depends on how we define "inaccessible."  It seems that a planet can be visited via the Cognitive Realm (now formally known as Shadesmar everywhere?), but a traveler cannot exit the Cognitive Realm into the Physical Realm without a perpendicularity.  Since Nazh is from Threnody, we can assume there must still be a perpendicularity on the planet somewhere from a past shard.  Otherwise, he couldn't have left the Physical Realm (since we don't know of any Elsecalling-like powers on that planet).

5 minutes ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

Otherwise, he couldn't have left the Physical Realm (since we don't know of any Elsecalling-like powers on that planet).

The fact that we don't know about them doesn't mean they don't exist. Threnody seems... special in some ways. I wouldn't discard anything about it just yet.

7 minutes ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

Well, it depends on how we define "inaccessible."  It seems that a planet can be visited via the Cognitive Realm (now formally known as Shadesmar everywhere?), but a traveler cannot exit the Cognitive Realm into the Physical Realm without a perpendicularity.  Since Nazh is from Threnody, we can assume there must still be a perpendicularity on the planet somewhere from a past shard.  Otherwise, he couldn't have left the Physical Realm (since we don't know of any Elsecalling-like powers on that planet).

This throws a bit of a wrench in my Autonomy/Taldain/perpendicularity theory. On the one hand, it makes sense that if Autonomy left Taldain and there was no longer a perpendicularity there, it would be inaccessible. On the other, how are people like Nazh getting on and off Threnody? Grrr, I need that Threnody intro NOW.

That's an interesting tidbit about Roshar, and I have to agree with the OP, it's probably Braize.

So... if I was to guess... what Khriss means is that it's a planet inhabited by Odium spren, the Unmade and (occasionally) souls of Heralds? Sounds about right, I doubt much would survive being constantly in presence of Rayse.

9 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

This throws a bit of a wrench in my Autonomy/Taldain/perpendicularity theory. On the one hand, it makes sense that if Autonomy left Taldain and there was no longer a perpendicularity there, it would be inaccessible. On the other, how are people like Nazh getting on and off Threnody? Grrr, I need that Threnody intro NOW.

And even worse, in theory if Autonomy did leave the Taldain system, it would have pulled all of its investiture with it, since First of the Sun has a perpendicularity that was likely left by a shard at sometime in the past!

1 minute ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

And even worse, in theory if Autonomy did leave the Taldain system, it would have pulled all of its investiture with it, since First of the Sun has a perpendicularity that was likely left by a shard at sometime in the past!

Yep. This intro leaves all kinds of questions in the air. I just hope that Khriss answers them in the other intros haha

12 minutes ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

The perpendicularity on First of the Sun is probably more due to ambient investiture leftover when Adonalsium created the Cosmere than an shard's investiture since it's a Minor Shardworld.

14 minutes ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

1 minute ago, Spoolofwhool said:

The perpendicularity on First of the Sun is probably more due to ambient investiture leftover when Adonalsium created the Cosmere than an shard's investiture since it's a Minor Shardworld.

I don't think we know enough to say "probably" yet, and from what we've read, Khriss doesn't know either. Both sound possible, but Khriss didn't mention either of them. As the most knowledgeable person in the cosmere, when she says it's a mystery, it's definitely a mystery!

WINDRUNNER17 (REDDIT)

3. As you've stated that the magic of First of the Sun is natural and independent of any particular Shard, what is the nature of the pool on Patji? Is it also a natural manifestation of magic, a Perpendicularity, or simply a pool like any other?

BRANDON SANDERSON (REDDIT)
3. It's a natural manifestation, but on a much smaller scale than you might find on other worlds.

So since the emerald pool known as Patji's Eye is "natural manifestation," leading me to believe that this is perhaps magic that has its roots in Adonalsium (or it's shattering).

You know you've succeeded as an author in making a compelling world when your fans are so thoroughly enticed by infodumps.

10 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

I don't think we know enough to say "probably" yet, and from what we've read, Khriss doesn't know either. Both sound possible, but Khriss didn't mention either of them. As the most knowledgeable person in the cosmere, when she says it's a mystery, it's definitely a mystery!

This is a good point and makes me wonder just how much time has passed since the Shattering and what the early politics were like of the Shards.  While passing a Shard to someone else is exceedingly rare, I can't help but wonder if perhaps this was done by some Shard holder who has long since let go.  I don't know.  As I think about it though, hauling your Investiture off to some remote world, dropping your Shard in some inaccessible place so you're just a Sliver... I imagine it would be easier to travel through the Cosmere undetected while still carrying enough power to influence things behind the scenes so long as you didn't do anything that would directly attract the attention of a Shard.  Given what the Bands of Mourning are capable of (plus apparently time dilation is a thing), I think it well within a Sliver's power to travel the old fashioned way (through space) between worlds.

If a Shardholder wanted to spend an extended period flying through space, it might be useful to have waypoints where they'd chunks of Investiture behind where as a Sliver they could "refuel."  Perhaps First of the Sun is such a "magical gas station."

Hmm, I've never taken it for granted that First of the Sun never had a Shard on it at any point. All Brandon's said about minor Shardworlds is that they're worlds that aren't of extreme importance to the cosmere as they don't have a Shard present on them.....didn't he specifically say that some of them may have Splinters or some other degree of Shard influence on them though? Just not a full Shard?  Which would imply that any minor Shardworld that did have at least a Splinter of a Shard on it was at some point host to a full Shard. (LOL unless there's a Shard out there that's just shooting off Splinters of itself into different directions in space to scatter its power as far and wide as possible. Actually....I said that as a joke but now I'm actually thinking about that one Shard that's said not to be invested in any planet.....would having Splinters of itself on various planets count as not being Invested in a planet?)

Anyway, I digress. Point is, as others have said, I'm not ruling out anything about First of the Sun yet.

• Chaos locked this topic