Hello! I exist!

AllomancerSam

Hi! I'm valerieofavonlea, or Sam. Sam is much easier (and the username is a mix up of several different fandoms and I'm not even 100% sure how it all came about) so feel free to just use Sam (or Samantha, or Sami, or whatever, I'm not picky)

I actually got started on Brandon Sanderson's works through a friend, and it's kind of a funny story that probably no one really wants to hear but I'mma tell it anyway. So back in high school one of my friends was teasing my best friend (who is one of the biggest Harry Potter fans I've ever met) by saying that he had found this book that was a million times better than Harry Potter. That book was Mistborn, and my best friend decided to read it to prove him wrong. She wound up absolutely loving it. She started begging everyone to read it to so that she could have people to talk about it with, except for me. She told me that it was probably too violent for me. This was over 11th/12th grade and I was in practically all AP classes so I just went along with it because I didn't have time for pleasure reading anyway. Fast forward to February of this year, and one of my other best friends introduces me to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I watched it in three days and then forced my other friend to watch it, after which she brought Mistborn up again, and said that if FMA wasn't too violent for me then I would be fine with Mistborn (personally I don't think either are excessively violent but w/e) and she told me to read it. I found copies of the original trilogy in June, read the first 12 or so pages of TFE, and then set it down because something else came up. Then toward the end of July, my friend went out of town for a week, and the power on my street went out for scheduled maintenance for an entire day, so I finally picked TFE back up, forced myself to read until I was invested in the plot and characters, and then finished the trilogy a week later. I immediately picked up Allow of Law because I needed more, and then I put it right back down after the map started making me really emotional (Elend is my favorite, so any references to him so soon after finishing HoA were just bad for me). I picked up Secret History instead, because somehow the plot twist had already been spoiled for me, so there was really no reason to not. Well, M:SH is fairly Cosmere heavy, so after finishing that I went looking at the rest of the Cosmere stuff, and then I made my way through Elantris, Warbreaker, the three Wax and Wayne books, and then the first two Stormlights, and oh my gosh I loved every bit of it.

That's how I wound up here!

I've actually been lurking here on 17th Shard ever since I finished Secret History (mostly because I was looking for people to cry with), skimming through some topics but mostly holding back until I was caught up and no longer at risk of spoilers.

I finished Words of Radiance last week, so with the exception of some of the novellas (I'm waiting until Arcanum Unbounded comes out for those so I don't have to buy them all separately) I am all caught up, so I figured it was time to officially join.

So, hi! :D

I used to be a reader like you, until I took an arrow to the left of my parietal lobe. 

Welcome to the shard Sam! MIstborn? Violent? PPSSSHHT. Try Traitor Son Cycle!

I'm kinda surprised you started with Mistborn, most people seem to start off with Way of Kings nowadays, but I may be biased, seeing as I started from Way of Kings. 

I didn't particularly like the first trilogy, era two however, was storming amazing!

Have you read Warbreaker? 

Also, have an upvote and a cookie, to be truly accepted you need to eat the cookie.

hiiiiii welcome to the shard

i am harambe a dead ol' meme bearer of the whorst name in the site (i rly dont know why i thought that this name would  be a good idea ) but you can call me manu

i started from TFE as well and tha first book was enough to root me in my bed reading the rest of the trilogy until i was done 

my efforts to get  one of my friends to read it remain fruitless
also @Darkness Ascendant the original mistborn is my second favorite saga  period after only SA

any way i am geting side tracked  

Sam if u ever need any thing feel free to message me just watch out for the bananas in my inbox

here is an upvote and a cookie as well 

7 hours ago, valerieofavonlea said:

Hi! I'm valerieofavonlea, or Sam. Sam is much easier (and the username is a mix up of several different fandoms and I'm not even 100% sure how it all came about) so feel free to just use Sam (or Samantha, or Sami, or whatever, I'm not picky)

I actually got started on Brandon Sanderson's works through a friend, and it's kind of a funny story that probably no one really wants to hear but I'mma tell it anyway. So back in high school one of my friends was teasing my best friend (who is one of the biggest Harry Potter fans I've ever met) by saying that he had found this book that was a million times better than Harry Potter. That book was Mistborn, and my best friend decided to read it to prove him wrong. She wound up absolutely loving it. She started begging everyone to read it to so that she could have people to talk about it with, except for me. She told me that it was probably too violent for me. This was over 11th/12th grade and I was in practically all AP classes so I just went along with it because I didn't have time for pleasure reading anyway. Fast forward to February of this year, and one of my other best friends introduces me to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I watched it in three days and then forced my other friend to watch it, after which she brought Mistborn up again, and said that if FMA wasn't too violent for me then I would be fine with Mistborn (personally I don't think either are excessively violent but w/e) and she told me to read it. I found copies of the original trilogy in June, read the first 12 or so pages of TFE, and then set it down because something else came up. Then toward the end of July, my friend went out of town for a week, and the power on my street went out for scheduled maintenance for an entire day, so I finally picked TFE back up, forced myself to read until I was invested in the plot and characters, and then finished the trilogy a week later. I immediately picked up Allow of Law because I needed more, and then I put it right back down after the map started making me really emotional (Elend is my favorite, so any references to him so soon after finishing HoA were just bad for me). I picked up Secret History instead, because somehow the plot twist had already been spoiled for me, so there was really no reason to not. Well, M:SH is fairly Cosmere heavy, so after finishing that I went looking at the rest of the Cosmere stuff, and then I made my way through Elantris, Warbreaker, the three Wax and Wayne books, and then the first two Stormlights, and oh my gosh I loved every bit of it.

That's how I wound up here!

I've actually been lurking here on 17th Shard ever since I finished Secret History (mostly because I was looking for people to cry with), skimming through some topics but mostly holding back until I was caught up and no longer at risk of spoilers.

I finished Words of Radiance last week, so with the exception of some of the novellas (I'm waiting until Arcanum Unbounded comes out for those so I don't have to buy them all separately) I am all caught up, so I figured it was time to officially join.

So, hi! :D

Hello, Sam, it seems you do exist! For this fact, I am very sorry. 

All jokes aside (yeah right), Welcome to the Shard! I am bleeder, resident... uh... I wear vests and rant about media and music.

Here on the Shard, you will learn much, and possibly cry, and definitely get headaches  make new friends. I know I have.

If you ever need anything, feel free to let me know. 

Also, be wary of the cookies. Very wary. They'll Ruin your life. And make metal detectors go off around you from 50 paces. Just saying.

Anyway, welcome!

Edited by bleeder

@Darkness Ascendant thank you! I'm surprised that so many people seem to start with WoK, but I myself might be biased since I read it last and felt like having the background of the rest of the books was the way to go. Idk, maybe WoK isn't as confusing as I think it might be as a starting point.

I think I might pass on that cookie. Good as it sounds it might be a little sketch. ;)

@harambe thank you! I love your username, even if it is a dead meme (those are often the best kind). It's very nice to meet you!

@HonorIsDead thank you! I'll be sure to put out some of my theories once I have some (I'm still just trying to grasp the whole cosmere -there's so much to learn- before I can start theorizing on my own.)

@bleeder I'm also sorry that I exist. That's something that we have in common. See, I'm already making new friends here. :D Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to be wary, wouldn't want anything to Ruin me.

17 minutes ago, valerieofavonlea said:

@harambe thank you! I love your username, even if it is a dead meme (those are often the best kind). It's very nice to meet you!

I think I'ma like this new user. Memes are something we can all relate to. 

17 minutes ago, valerieofavonlea said:

@bleeder I'm also sorry that I exist. That's something that we have in common. See, I'm already making new friends here. :D Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to be wary, wouldn't want anything to Ruin me.

Internet-stranger-friends are the best kind of friends! Woo!

On 11/6/2016 at 6:27 PM, bleeder said:

I think I'ma like this new user. Memes are something we can all relate to. 

Internet-stranger-friends are the best kind of friends! Woo!

There's a meme out there for everybody , it's just a matter of finding the right one. 

On 11/6/2016 at 10:44 PM, Darkness Ascendant said:

@valerieofavonlea you did get the references right?

The 'arrow to the knee' quip? I sure did. (however, if you were referring to something else then I'm sorry, I don't know.)