The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

12 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I had an evil thought. What if you could use this to cause that person to target a specific person with their action, whatever it might be? Talk about chaos...

I had an insane thought based off of this idea, and your thought. What if, at the beginning of the game, EVERYONE was set up that any action targeting them would be bumped to another random player. everyone would know to whom actions targeting themselves would get bumped. But initially they wouldn't know anyone elses. Essentially, I play with my name, but If I'm voted for, jondesu dies, or if someone tries to scan me, they scan Jondesu. 

GM-ing that would be hard, but I think it would be harder for the players, thus, to make it easier, there would be lots of scan roles, where if I say "I want to scan Jondesu for his role" the answer would come back "Drake Marshall's role is Elim" 

But then there would be utter chaos. Everyone would be throwing out claims like this: "You know, Itiah, If you vote for me, you'd actually be voting for yourself" 

Edited by Cadmium Compounder

On 7/13/2018 at 7:37 AM, Cadmium Compounder said:

I had an insane thought based off of this idea, and your thought. What if, at the beginning of the game, EVERYONE was set up that any action targeting them would be bumped to another random player. everyone would know to whom actions targeting themselves would get bumped. But initially they wouldn't know anyone elses. Essentially, I play with my name, but If I'm voted for, jondesu dies, or if someone tries to scan me, they scan Jondesu. 

GM-ing that would be hard, but I think it would be harder for the players, thus, to make it easier, there would be lots of scan roles, where if I say "I want to scan Jondesu for his role" the answer would come back "Drake Marshall's role is Elim" 

But then there would be utter chaos. Everyone would be throwing out claims like this: "You know, Itiah, If you vote for me, you'd actually be voting for yourself" 

But then if you voted for someone, you would be able to see who it affected.  And first cycle, someone would propose everyone votes for themself to determine who it affects, and if no one did, there would be no way of reliably lynching someone.  It would work better if it didn't count votes.

EDIT: Imagine this mechanic in a blackout game...  

Edited by The Young Pyromancer

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, so I just played a game tonight called "Deception, Murder in Hong Kong." It's kind of a mix between werewolves/mafia/SE and Clue with a hint of Codenames. After playing a couple rounds of it I would love  to adapt it to the Cosmere. Has anyone else played it or heard of it? Anyone interested in helping me flesh out rules for the forum and convert everything over to the Cosmere?

If you haven't heard of it, the gist of it is this (sections put into spoiler tags to make it easier to navigate this post, not because of anything spoilery):

General Rules:

Spoiler

Everybody is an investigator at a crime scene except for one person: the Forensic Scientist (who also fulfills the role of moderator/GM), and of course, one of the investigators is secretly the murderer. Each player has 4 murder weapon cards (things like knife, noose, bare hands, drowning, explosion, etc.) and 4 evidence cards (various things like fingerprints, pieces of clothing, food, and other random objects) displayed in front of them for all to see. At the start of the game the murderer secretly picks 1 murder weapon and 1 piece of evidence from the cards directly in front of them, and tells them to the Forensic Scientist. 

The Forensic Scientist (FS) is trying to help the investigators win, but can only communicate with them through the use of special scene tiles. Each scene tile is different and covers broad categories with several options for the FS to choose from (For example, one tile that is used in every game is the cause of death, and includes the options:

• Suffocation
  • Severe Injury
  • Loss of Blood
  • Illness/Disease
  • Poisoning
  • Accident

pic2896278.jpg

The FS marks one of the options on each of the scene tiles to give clues for the investigators to decipher. 

The investigators' job is to decipher the clues to figure out the 1. Murderer, 2. Murder Weapon, and 3. Key piece of Evidence. They must guess all 3 correctly in order to catch the murderer and get them convicted at court. Any investigator can make a guess at any time during the game, but each investigator only gets one guess. Once they've made their guess, the FS tells them if they were right or wrong (and nothing else). If they were right, they win (obviously). If they guessed wrong, then the game continues. The investigator(s) who guessed may still participate in the discussion, but may not make any more guesses for the rest of the game. 

The game is played in 3 rounds, and at the end of rounds 1 and 2 the FS may swap out one of the scene tiles for a new one (thus giving them a way to get rid of tiles that are throwing the investigators off track and adding new tiles to give new clues. 

There are a couple other roles and things that can spice up the game, but the description above is enough to give you an idea of how it's played. If you want to learn more, you can check out the BGG description here, or read the official rule book here

I'm posting this here because this game is very similar to SE and would fit well in this section of the forum, but there are some significant differences: 

• First, nobody is ever eliminated or removed from the game, so there wouldn't be any players getting lynched or murdered or gradual whittling down of suspects or any of that.
  • Second, the game is designed to be played with up to 12 players (including the FS/moderator). Now, it might be possible to play with more players than that, but for now I say we stick with a cap of 12 players, and then maybe experiment with more players later on.
  • Third, the game isn't set up with Roleplaying in mind, but then again, neither is Mafia/werewolves. I don't see any reason why we couldn't incorporate roleplaying into the game like we've done with SE. 
  • Fourth, with only 3 rounds, even if we make each round 48 hours long that would give us a 6 day game time, maximum (Upon further thought I think we ought to make it 72hr cycles / 9 day max game time)- possibly shorter than that if the investigators make a lucky guess early in the game. That's significantly shorter than most SE games. If we tried to fit it into the normal formats it would definitely have to be in the QF category, unless we did something like run multiple rounds of it to take up time. Alternatively, we could add it as it's own special format, or even take it to a different part of the site (there are a number of other forum games being played over the in the general section, for example) if it's deemed to be different enough from regular SE to be considered it's own thing. I'll leave it up to the moderators to decide that ( @little wilson @Orlok Tsubodai @Alvron @Seonid), though in the meantime I'm sitting at the top of the QF list and wouldn't mind using that spot to give this format a try, if people want to. 

Now, assuming there is interest in trying this, there are a number of things that would need to be done to get it converted to Cosmere and prep it for play on the forums, and I could use some help with that. If you're interested in helping out, read below. 

Things that need to be done to get the game ready to play:

Spoiler
  • Switching the names of the roles and things over to Cosmere should be fairly simple. "Murderer" could easily become "Assassin (in White)," for example.
  • Mechanics of all the roles could stay the same, at least at the beginning. Maybe further down the line we could try meddling with the roles and mechanics. 
  • All of the cards and tiles need to be handled in such a way as to make them usable on forums. We can't exactly shuffle a deck of cards and deal them out to players online, but since everything is public knowledge except for the roles, we should be able to simulate the cards with a spreadsheet and a randomizer function fairly easily. We would just have to populate the spreadsheet and insert the appropriate formulas. 
  • All of the cards would need to be converted to Cosmere equivalents. In order to match the quantities included in the real game, we would need at least:
    • 90x Murder Weapon cards (Actually they are called "Means of Murder" cards, since not all of them are weapons). They could be things like shardblade, coins, hemalurgic spike, fed to a chasmfiend, Lifeless soldier, Nightblood, etc. 
    • 200x Evidence cards. These can be just about anything- the real game has random things like lightbulbs, candy, money, playing cards, shoes, etc. Many of those could just be copied over, while some could be converted to and/or replaced with some Cosmere-related things like Seons, Spren, metal vials, spheres, Elantrian robes, Hallandren dyes, etc. 
    • 32x Scene tiles. Again, many of these could probably be copied straight over, while many of them would be fun to Cosmerify. For example, the "Cause of Death" tile above could largely remain the same, but it would be fun to change one of the options to something like "Harm to the Soul/Spirit."
  • The Rules would need to be rewritten and adapted for forum play. 

None of that is especially difficult, but most of it would be pretty tedious, especially if I try to do it all by myself. Coming up with 300+ different cosmere weapons, items, locations, etc. is a lot for one person to do, which is why I'm putting the call out for help. Also, I want to see if there is any interest in trying this before I potentially put all that work in for nothing. 

So, what do people think? Want to give this a try?

Interesting. I've never heard of this game, but I am in favor of trying it out in a forum setting if you think it could work.

However, coming up with cosmere-themed cards and such is a significant time investment. That sounds burdensome for one person to handle. So, lets make a google spreadsheet that everyone can contribute to. (note, the ideas on here can and probably should be mixed in with some of the cards already in the game)

Also, it might be easier for people to come up with stuff if the scene tiles / cards are available somewhere online?

19 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

However, coming up with cosmere-themed cards and such is a significant time investment. That sounds burdensome for one person to handle. So, lets make a google spreadsheet that everyone can contribute to. (note, the ideas on here can and probably should be mixed in with some of the cards already in the game)

That’s exactly what I had in mind, you just beat me to the punch. ;) Thanks for beginning the project. I skimmed your spreadsheet and tweaked a few things and added a few things just off the top of my head. First of the Sun obviously needs a lot more added to it. :lol: 

22 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Also, it might be easier for people to come up with stuff if the scene tiles / cards are available somewhere online?

Here’s a spreadsheet that someone made with all the scene tiles written out in English and German:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122357/all-scene-tiles-german-and-english

This is a game Idea I've worked on for a while now. I've posted about it here before about a  year or so ago, and this is essentially a version 2.

The Northern Interest Trading Company is preparing for another expedition to the Pantheon. All previous missions have been lost, or returned with extreme losses. This time will be different, however, thanks to the Northern Wind, the newly designed airship that will soon leave its hangar and start on its maiden voyage. Nothing and no one will be able to stop a successful expedition when it launches, especially not those incompetent copy cats from the Southern Influence Commerce Syndicate.

General rules

Spoiler

Factions

Spoiler

Southern Influence Commerce Syndicate Saboteur:

You’ve heard of the NITC’s new project, and decided it could do with a couple of set-backs while the parent company rush their own air-ship into production.

This is the eliminiation team. Each cycle, this faction can either attack one player or sabotage one airship part. Victory is achieved when all airship parts have been sabotaged or all NITC players have been hospitalized or dismissed. The faction has a doc to conspire in.

Northern Interest Trading Company:

This faction is making the final preparations for the Northern Wind’s maiden voyage. Construction work is being finished up, and you are all preparing for and looking forward to the big expedition. This faction wins when all SITC saboteurs have been dismissed from the project or have been hospitalized.

The airship

The airship will play an important role in this game. It has a number of critical parts. If all parts are sabotaged, the NITC loses the game. The amount of parts will be based on the amount of players participating (though not on a 1:1 basis).

Dismissal vote

This is the lynch. It is used to decide who should be dismissed from the project and put under police investigation. It works just like any other lynch, only your character is merely fired and imprisoned, not outright killed. The role and alignment of the dismissed person is revealed.

Hospital

Any player that gets attacked gets sent to the hospital. The role, but not the alignment, of someone who has been hospitalized is revealed.

They get access to a shared doc with everyone else in the hospital, but they won’t be able to talk in the main thread, or respond to PM’s. All people in the hospital are immune to all actions except the dismissal vote.

Any player can decide to visit the hospital. They can’t post in the thread, vote or use actions, but they do get access to the hospital doc. At the end of the cycle they leave the hospital again. Note that visitors are not immune to being attacked, or targeted by any other role. Elims will not be allowed to talk in the elim doc while visiting the hospital.

PM’s

PM’s are closed, except for specific roles/abilities.

Cycle length

48 or 72 hour cycles, with no split between day and night.

Roles and special Airship parts

Spoiler

Everyone can submit a single action per cycle at most. Both factions can hold any of the roles listed below.

General roles

Engineer: Engineers are the lifeblood of the airship. They know it back to front, and know exactly what needs to happen to keep it operational. An unscrupulous engineer could also use that knowledge to break things, however. Every cycle, an engineer can submit an order to repair or sabotage an airship part. Two repair orders need to be submitted to fix a sabotaged part, but these two orders don't have to be submitted by the same engineer.

Doctor: A doctor can spend a cycle in the hospital, following the same rules as a visitor. At the end of the cycle, one hospitalized person of rheir choice can return to work. If a person gets hospitalized for a second time, he’s injured too badly and can’t be healed again.

Trapper: You’ve been hired by the NITC to help their expedition. Unlike the corporate softies, you have no problem with getting your hands dirty to solve a problem. You can hospitalize one player each cycle.

Airship-dependent roles

Each of these roles needs a particular key airship part to do their job. If this part is not operational, they can not use their role. If a part is sabotaged while in use, it can have an effect on the people using it, depending on the part.

Internal Affairs: You've been hired to keep an eye on the workers and make sure none of them are selling information tot eh companies rivals. every cycle, you can lock one player in the brig for one cycle. that player is role-blocked, but also protected from all attacks.

If the brig gets sabotaged, all persons that are currently locked up are hospitalized.

Navigator: You will be responsible for getting the ship to its destination once it sets out on its journey. For now, you're tasked with familiarizing yourself with tools at your disposal on the airship's bridge. These tools include a number of high-power search-lights. Every cycle you can use these lights to track one person. The target of any action that person submits that cycle will be revealed in the write-up. (For Example: Melon Dingo targeted Amber Vulture, or Mauve crocodile targeted the Starboard Engine)

If the bridge gets sabotaged while in use, a flash of light from the lights will blind the navigator for one cycle. If they vote in the next cycle, it is redirected to a random person.

Biologist: you've studied the flora and fauna of the Pantheon in detail, and will accompany the expedition to aid in the capture and study of the Aviars. Right now there's not much to do for you though. You do have access to the ship's laboratory, as well as a stack of detective novels. Each cycle you can target a single person, including someone in the hospital. You'll learn the identity of one person that interacted with them the previous cycle.Voting (either getting voted on by the target or voting on the target) and Actions (either targeting the target or being done by the target) count as interactions.

If the laboratory is sabotaged while occupied, one occupant at random is hospitalized.

Messenger: It's your job to communicate back to the company's headquarters once the expedition leaves. To do so, you've got access to all of the most modern technologies in the communications hut, as well as messenger pigeons. Each cycle you can send a single message to HQ (aka: the spectator doc). You'll receive a short reply whenever your boss feels like sending one back.

Special parts

In addition to the airship parts required by specialized roles, there are some that everyone can use as long as the part remains operational

Crew's Mess

This room provides a place for the crew to eat, relax and unwind. It also contains a message-board where people can leave anonymous messages. If this room gets sabotaged the messages posted that cycle are still posted, but will not be anonymous.

Aviar Holding area

The Holding area will carry the Aviar back from the Pantheon. Several Aviar and other birds are currently being kept there to test the facilities. Crewmen are encouraged to interact with the birds to learn their behaviour. You can use an action to request an Aviar for the next cycle, but no more than three Aviar are loaned per cycle. The birds available are:

• Sak: This bird warns you of impending danger by showing you visions of your own mutilated body. If you would be hospitalized while caring for this bird, you are instead role-blocked. The human psyche can only handle seeing themselves die a couple of times, so you can only benefit from a Sak once per game, and will not receive the bird again once you've received the benefit.
  • Kokerlii: Shrouds your thoughts from the dangerous predators hunting on the Pantheon, which is not particularly useful here. It's also a particularly pretty bird with a mind of its own that'll prevent people from tracking you.
  • Kukupa twins: This Peculiar bird is always born in pairs, and can communicate quickly over long distances, as well as mimic human speech in a manner similar to a  parrot. You can open a single PM with another person for as long as you've got the bird.

If the holding area is sabotaged, everyone gets a bird at random. The Saboteur is guaranteed to get an Aviar. These birds do not have to be returned until the Holding Area is repaired.

Between the engineer and the doctor, the village could theoretically undo anything the elims do. I will try make sure to balance the game in such a way that the village can't easily lock the elim team down by simply fixing all the damage they do.

I really really love that idea. I think 48 hour cycles or less would be best though because with the engineer, it has the potential to lengthen the game.

Another option would be make it so that only 5 (or some other number) parts can be restored, and one one person every two cycles. 

5 hours ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

Another option would be make it so that only 5 (or some other number) parts can be restored, and one one person every two cycles. 

I've considered putting some sort of limit on repairs, either in the way you described or by allowing parts to be only repaired once. There's something else I'm considering that would make this impractical, but that's something I'll have to discuss with my co-gm, once I've got one :P

9 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

What if the engineers only had a certain number of components with which to fix things?

That also has the added advantage of making the engineer less likely to be a confirmed good role.

Right, so each individual engineer would be able to do a limited number of repairs*? That could work. It would force the engineer(s) to ration their abilities more. I'd probably make them repair a single part in one cycle in that case.

As it is, it'd be fairly difficult/dangerous for engineers to gain a confirmed good status, as PM's are pretty limited, and the only role that ca protect them also roleblocks them.

*That's fairly similar to Cadcoms suggestion, but it fits a bit better because of reasons :P 

On 7/26/2018 at 5:20 AM, randuir said:

*That's fairly similar to Cadcoms suggestion, but it fits a bit better because of reasons :P 

Haha I love it when the logic is "reasons." Sometimes I use that logic too. 

On another note, about a month ago, I suggested a new game style, called a One night, or one cycle game, and provided an example game. I got some feedback on it, which inspired me to look back on it again, and revise it. I think it would be fun to run. Here is a copy of the rules for it.

Spoiler

Mistborn: House Rebellion
Now or Never

Cycle/Game length: 48 hour night.

48 hour day

No activity filter, game is too short

Game mechanics: There will be 3 more roles than there are number of players. Roles will be distributed randomly. There will then be one night cycle, where most actions will take place, and one day cycle where voting will occur. Because some roles change the role and alignment of other players, players may believe that they are one role, however, in reality, they are another.

The player(s) with the most votes wil die. Alternatively, players may choose to do a “circle vote” where all players receive one vote, and no one dies.

The Village team only wins if at least one eliminator is killed

The Elim team only wins if no ministry workers are killed

There are also separate win conditions that may affect the victory for either team.

Possible Roles/Order of actions

Lerasium-spiked: May choose to find out another person’s role at the beginning of the cycle, if they do so, they will become a copy of that role (His new role will be informed to him as soon as possible, and will be performed simultaneously or immediately after the original role performs the role)(It is not guaranteed that the new role will be able to be used if this player does not put in a request early in the turn, due to the cycle ending, and GM not having time to provide new role)

Matchmaker(Village): May Choose two players at random to be lovers.

Leader of the Ministry(elim): May convert one player to join the ministry

Ministry Seeker(Elim): May scan to confirm role of one player

Seeker(Village): May scan one other player or two of the unused roles.

Informant(Village): May scan the role of one other player. If that player is not a seeker, the role is revealed in the write-up.

Spiked(village): May spike another player, and himself, and swap roles with that player. He will be informed of his new role

Spiker(village): May swap one person’s role for one of the unused roles

Hemalurgic troublemaker(Village): May choose to spike two people other than themselves, and swap their roles

Tineye(Village): May scan a player to see if any actions have been performed by that player. The role will not be revealed.

Rogue Hazekiller(Neutral): During the night phase, this player may choose another player as a target. This player can only win this wincon, if that player is lynched.  Your target will be notified that they are the target.

Oracle(Village) At the end of the night, they will be informed what their current role is. 

Other Roles(inherent abilities, No night actions)

Other ministry workers(elim): All ministry workers will know the who the other ministry workers are. It will not be revealed who is the ministry seeker, or who is the leader of the ministry. A doc will be provided, at the beginning of the Day cycle, for them to communicate in, however all night actions will be put in blindly, without communication with other Ministry workers.(Between 20-33% of the possible roles will be Elim roles. The more players, the lower the percentage, generally speaking.

Kandra spy(elim wincon-if lynched, acts as a village lynch): The Kandra spy is attempting to infiltrate the Skaa rebellion. This character wins if the Elims win. He will know who the Eliminators are, and will be given access to view the doc, but will not be able to speak in the doc, or reveal who he is there. If the Kandra dies, If he is lynched, it is as if a villager is lynched, and the Eliminators win.

Hazekiller(village): If a hazekiller is lynched, the person he is voting for is killed as well.

Kelsier(neutral): His goal is to sacrifice himself, to start a religion about him. He wins if he is lynched. If he is lynched, all others lose as well.

Lovers: Lovers win if both lovers survive. If one lover is on the Elim team, then The Elim wincon must also be met. 

If there are more or less players than there are roles, then some roles may be duplicated, and some vanilla village players may be added, or removed by discretion of the GM based on what they think would keep the game fair.

One option to allow the game to fit into a QF timeframe would be to play two different rounds, where roles are generated after the first round is over.

Anyway, I'd like to get some more feedback on balance issues and to see if it needs any clarification. Does it seem like it would be fairly balanced?  If this conversation is more fit for the discord, I recently got an account over there, and we could move the discussion over there. 

I'd also like some feedback on whether or not this type of game fits in the SE forum, or if it'd be better played somewhere else in the Shard. If it fits here, could I maybe get information on how to sign up to Co-GM some games, so that in the future, I would feel comfortable GMing this game?

suggestions.

@Cadmium Compounder, I've got a couple of things to note. First,t eh current version of the rules still has some references to 'çards' and 'pointing'. You might want to change those to 'role' and 'voting' :P. It's also not entirely clear to me what the Oracle role is supposed to accomplish.

Lastly, I'd make it so that an elim-village lover pair causes the villager to become an elim (or leave out this role altogether). Otherwise, such a pair could end the game pretty much on the spot by revealing the elim team.

Edited by randuir

34 minutes ago, randuir said:

@Cadmium Compounder, I've got a couple of things to note. First,t eh current version of the rules still has some references to 'çards' and 'pointing'. You might want to change those to 'role' and 'voting' :P. It's also not entirely clear to me what the Oracle role is supposed to accomplish.

Lastly, I'd make it so that an elim-village lover pair causes the villager to become an elim (or leave out this role altogether). Otherwise, such a pair could end the game pretty much on the post by revealing the elim team.

Fixed. I also changed the lover wincon based on your suggestion. I was debating doing that from the beginning, but decided not to put it in. 

Basically it gives the Oracle a small advantage. They will know what role they are going into the day cycle, when no one else can be sure that they have the same role they started with. It is basically the insomniac in the "One Night Ultimate Werewolf" game.

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

So, when is the next SE coming up? Both games that were running have ended.

There should be a new Quick Format game coming soon, which moves really fast, and another Long Game soon too. Both should have signups begin within a few days I’d imagine. Signups for the LG would normally have gone up just before the last one ended, in fact, but mine was shorter than most.

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, basically since I found this forum, I've been playing around with a game mode centered around JK Rowling's wonderful characters.  A couple people glanced at this when we were spectating MR30, but I've done a lot of tinkering since then.  I figured I should share it before I over-tinker this. (Extra tinkering time has existed recently due to the gap between games :P)  A couple quick notes on it.  There are some mechanics that I'm not sure how well they'd work.  AND, this is basically designed so that EVERY player has a special role of sorts (although some roles are more special than others).  If this is something someone wants to take on, I'd love to co-GM with them.  Also would appreciate any balance thoughts.  Have fun!

General rules

Spoiler

Death Eaters win:

--Harry Potter must be dead and elims must outnumber villagers

Order of the Phoenix win:

--Village must kill all elims

Various Rules

• One PM/cycle unless otherwise noted

• Some days will result in dementors invading the school grounds.  Actions are limited to 1/person, PMs are limited to daytime only.

• Some nights will have a ‘full moon’

• Only 1-on-1 PMs allowed unless otherwise noted

• Votes will be cast normally, but only the final tally of votes will be noted at the end of day cycles.

• Dumbledore’s Army: New spells are learned at certain benchmarks of players involved

• x players - Expelliarmus - Can prevent another wizard from using their wand for a cycle - any spells found by DA as well as personal skills noted require a wand (requires an action)

• y players - Expecto Patronum - Dementors are neutralized for everyone with access to this spell (no action required)

• z players - Stupefy - stuns targeted character preventing them from doing anything other than responding in thread with face emojis

• NOTHING can be deleted from docs

• All docs will start with people identified by character name, not player name.  It’s up to players whether they want to identify themselves in the doc.

Death Eaters Roles

Spoiler
  • Voldemort **Required

• Recruiting Deatheaters: (wand) Imperius Curse - can be used n times to turn villager to death eater.

• Horcrux: Immune to lynch until Nagini dies

• Parseltongue: Starts with PM with Nagini

• Dark Lord: (wand) Can use Avada Kadavra each night

• Nagini **Required

• Parseltongue: Starts with PM with Voldemort

• Poison fangs: One-time night kill

• Bellatrix LaStrange

• Hiding in the Shadows: Can scan one player each night to determine if they are Sirius Black.

• Bane of Sirius: (wand) One-time If she finds Sirius, she has one night kill that can only be used on him.  (cannot be dodged by Animagus)

• Death Eater: (wand) Can use Avada Kadavra each night - overridden by Voldemort choice, if multiple Death Eaters (other than Voldemort) use this, they are stopped before they can make it to their target

• Lucius Malfoy

• Wealthy Donor: One-time can block another player’s skill for one cycle.  (If it’s a one-time skill and it was used and blocked in the same cycle, it’s considered used up)

• Death Eater: (wand) Can use Avada Kadavra each night - overridden by Voldemort choice, if multiple Death Eaters (other than Voldemort) use this, they are stopped before they can make it to their target

• Dolores Umbridge

• High Inquisitor of Hogwarts: One-time can take over a player’s skill for one cycle.  If the character has multiple skills one is chosen at random (If it’s a one-time skill, she can use it and not use it up.  If it’s a one-time skill that has been used, she can still use it)

• Peter Pettigrew

• Animagus: One-time can escape from any kill, including lynch (does not require activation)

• Barty Crouch

• Polyjuice Potion: If scanned (not tracked), Alastor Moody’s results are returned instead

Order of the Phoenix Roles

Spoiler
  • Albus Dumbledore **Required

• Elder Wand: (wand) Can protect one player each night

• Headmaster of Hogwarts: can start group PMs via GM

• Immune to Imperius Curse

• Severus Snape **Required

• Dedicated: Retains village win condition if Imperius Curse is used on him, but gains access to elim doc.

• Harry Potter **Required

• Gryffindor student

• The Chosen One: Immune to Imperius Curse.

• Resurrection Stone: If killed, comes back to life after one cycle, then can be killed as normal.

• Cloak of Invisibility: One-time can hide from any actions for full cycle - must use ahead of time.

• Marauder’s Map: Can track one person (by character name) each night (see all actions and which characters they’re in active PMs - a PM is sent either way - with)

• Room of Requirement: Starts with access to Dumbledore’s Army doc.  Can invite others to join. If he invites more than 1 person a cycle, there is an increasing chance of the High Inquisitor finding out where the room is.

• Hermoine Granger

• Gryffindor student

• Very Studious: One-time can scan a player to determine allegiance and role

• Unlikely Couple: Starts with PM with Ron.  Loses ‘Very Studious’ if Ron dies

• Ron Weasley

• Gryffindor student

• Unlikely Couple: Starts with PM with Hermoine

• Broken Wand: Has a 10% chance of his vote not targeting the correct person (will be done via RNG to determine whether he hits...and RNG to determine new target...which may be the same target or himself)

• Harry’s Best Friend: Starts with access to Dumbledore’s Army doc.

• Hagrid

• Half Giant: Immune to lynch

• Dobby

• House Elf Magic: Immune to actions other than kills

• Neville Longbottom

• Gryffindor student

• Sword of Gryffindor: One-time kill

• Sirius Black

• Animagus: One-time can escape from a kill, including lynch (does not require activation...does not include Bellatrix kill)

• Harry’s Godfather: Immune to Imperius curse

• Alastor Moody

• Auror: (wand) Can protect one player each night

• Remus Lupin

• Werewolf: Immune to any kills on nights with full moon.  Anyone who starts a PM with Remus on a night with a full moon has a 50/50 chance of being killed.

• Lovers: Starts with PM with Tonks

• Nymphadora Tonks

• Metamorphmagus: One-time can disguise self to avoid lynch (does not require activation)

• Lovers: Starts with PM with Lupin

• Fred Weasley

• Gryffindor student

• Practical joker: One-time can perform a practical joke on someone that distracts them from any action or vote for the full cycle

• Twins: Starts with PM with George

• George Weasley

• Gryffindor student

• Practical joker: One-time can perform a practical joke on someone that distracts them from any action or vote for the full cycle

• Twins: Starts with PM with Fred

• Ginny Weasley

• Gryffindor student

• Corruptible: If Voldemort starts a PM with Ginny by N2, she can be turned to the Death Eater faction

• If Ginny turns to a Death Eater, she can open the Chamber of Secrets giving her a single night kill - turns into stun for any student

• Stronger than expected: (wand) One-time can stun another player, rendering them unable to speak or act for a full cycle.

• Arthur Weasley

• Married: Starts with PM with Molly

• Molly Weasley

• Not MY daughter!: Gets notified if someone targets Ginny with an action or PM (doesn’t start knowing who Ginny is though)  Notification only includes player name, no other information.

• Married: Starts with PM with Arthur

• Gilderoy Lockhart

• Memory Charm: (wand) Can cancel one vote on himself each cycle

• Minerva McGonagall

• Head of House Gryffindor: Can protect a student in House Gryffindor from spells.  Acts as normal protection if used on Gryffindor, not notified if the person she protects is NOT in Gryffindor

• *Thinking of something to counter Umbridge here as well to keep with the source material thematically*

• Colin Creevey

• Gryffindor student

• Camera film: Can target a player each day cycle.  After the next full cycle, the film develops and Colin can see everything that person did. (ie, target D1, film develops during C2, viewable D3)

• Cedric Diggory

• Hufflepuff student

• Inspiring: One-time can make vote count as two

• Wizard’s Cup finale: Dies if he speaks in a PM with Voldemort

• Luna Lovegood

• Ravenclaw student

• Looney Luna: Receives random information each cycle.  RNG will determine the level of information - 1 = incorrect information (will result in another roll to determine level...d4 used then - 3 through 6 minus 2), 2 = nothing,  3 = active PMs, 4 = action targets, 5 = alignment, 6 = role - and player. This information cannot be directly relayed in thread, PM, or doc.

• The Quibbler: Can post a headline with each cycle - notify GM what should be posted.

• Professor Sprout

• Herbology Expert: Can unstun any character who is currently stunned

• Madam Pomfrey

• Matron of Hogwarts: (wand) Can target someone at the start of each day cycle.  If they person is killed by anything other than Avada Kadavra, they will live.

If my count is correct, this could handle up to 31 players, all with character names and various abilities.  Not sure how balanced that is as is, but it should be fun at least.

@Rathmaskal, games with everyone having a role are certainly something that's done more often. They're often referred to as 'role madness'. I wish I had time to do a deep reading of your rules to find any possible exploits, but I don't have time for that now. One thing I would like to note is that Cedric dying from having a PM with Voldy is something that he could use as a scan if he can find someone to trust.

Snape's ability is somewhat problematic though. Even with a semi-anonymous doc, figuring out who everyone is (or getting good guesses at least) based on their discussion in a doc isn't that difficult if the doc is active. I'd personally change it into something that doesn't have a high likelihood of elim-game over. Maybe make him immune to being converted, but he gets to know the identity of a death-eater if the attempt is made.

Edited by randuir

3 hours ago, randuir said:

Snape's ability is somewhat problematic though. Even with a semi-anonymous doc, figuring out who everyone is (or getting good guesses at least) based on their discussion in a doc isn't that difficult if the doc is active. I'd personally change it into something that doesn't have a high likelihood of elim-game over. Maybe make him immune to being converted, but he gets to know the identity of a death-eater if the attempt is made.

I kind of like the idea, assuming the Elims keep with their character name in the doc, then there will only be small hints as to who is Elim. The only issue I'm seeing is that the Elims should have a way of knowing which players are the other original elims. That way, we don't have an in-doc emergency like

P1:Let's kill Rath tonight

P2: Don't do that! better to kill Cadcom

P1: No, that's not a good plan either

P3: Why not Rath, and Why not Cadcom? I vote Rath personally

P2: Wait, I'm Rath, that's why I said Cadcom

P1: But I'm Cadcom!

**Snape get's Converted**

P4: Hey guys, I'm severus Snape, Thanks for revealing half of your identities!

31 minutes ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

I kind of like the idea, assuming the Elims keep with their character name in the doc, then there will only be small hints as to who is Elim. The only issue I'm seeing is that the Elims should have a way of knowing which players are the other original elims. That way, we don't have an in-doc emergency like

P1:Let's kill Rath tonight

P2: Don't do that! better to kill Cadcom

P1: No, that's not a good plan either

P3: Why not Rath, and Why not Cadcom? I vote Rath personally

P2: Wait, I'm Rath, that's why I said Cadcom

P1: But I'm Cadcom!

**Snape get's Converted**

P4: Hey guys, I'm severus Snape, Thanks for revealing half of your identities!

That's kinda the kind of scenario I'd like to avoid. Having the starting elims know who everyone is would help keeping things a secret, but an active doc would still show plenty of hints if the elims aren't effortlessly coasting to victory, as people discuss and coordinate how to move votes in certain directions. Then there's the fact that some people have recognizable writing patterns that might out them*.

I don't disagree the the idea of the role is neat, but its not a balancing factor if there's nothing preventing the mole from outing the entire elim team if he could. One way a mole in the elim team could work is if the mole had some special win-con that prevented them from just outing everyone. In a game without PM's, making them want to survive, or have some form of anti-village win-con could fix that.

*I was in a game with an anonymous doc a while back that wasn't safe (there could be both villagers and elims in it)  and managed to figure someone out pretty quickly based on her distinctive writing pattern, but in a later game I learned that me saying 'kinda' is apparently recognizable as well.

Edited by randuir

I had an idea for a character type. Some sort of anonymous eliminator. He would have the typical Elim wincon, but then also a second Elim wincon as well, where he tries to kill off a certain number of the rest of the eliminators. 

So he would have access to the thread, but only anonymously. For example, in a game with 5 eliminators(let's say, Rand, CadCom, Elandera, Bort, Alvron), Alvron would then have the second win con(in this example)The second win con would be "Make sure that when the Game ends, CadCom, and Bort are dead" 

He would then be able to be in the Elim doc as an anonymous player, whose goal is to eliminate some of the elimators, but not all. 

Possible names would be Contentious Eliminator,

(con)fused {in a game where fused are eliminators} 

That's it. I can't think of any more names. I just think it would be a fun mechanic. Has something like that ever been tried before?

6 hours ago, randuir said:

There was a game a while back in which one elim had a sevonday wincon in which he had to lynch a single elim teammate. @Drake Marshall can tell you more about that one.

Yes, that was MR25, GMed by Lopen.

The game had a secret role as part of the eliminator team, who had a win condition to kill/lynch at least one teammate, in addition to meeting the eliminator win condition.

I was the one playing this role. Since the village succeeded in lynching one of the eliminators on the first day, and I hopped on the bandwagon, I could have theoretically explained my secret role to the remainder of my team, and played the rest of the game as a normal elim. That isn't quite what I ended up doing.

5 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

The game had a secret role as part of the eliminator team, who had a win condition to kill/lynch at least one teammate, in addition to meeting the eliminator win condition.

I was the one playing this role. Since the village succeeded in lynching one of the eliminators on the first day, and I hopped on the bandwagon, I could have theoretically explained my secret role to the remainder of my team, and played the rest of the game as a normal elim. That isn't quite what I ended up doing.

Lol that was hilarious to watch. We were unabashadly rooting for you by the end hah.

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

He ended up killing off the whole Elim team, narrowed the game down to one final game cycle where it was him and two others, manipulated the others into both thinking the other was the last elim, and winning by being literally the last player alive.