The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

@Drake Marshall, I am a bit worried about only having a 24 hour lynch in an LG, as well as the 'no talking for a third cycle'. I was wondering if it would be possible to rearrange the cycles for a 48 hour false-light, and then the day and night hapoening in different threads in the same 24 hour slot. This might not fit the fluff quite as well, but it might help keeping everyone involved.

1 hour ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

When do the Wardens kill? Do they have a kill?

Aha! Good question.

Although thematically it makes very little sense, yes, they have a kill. A single faction kill, once per cycle.

Whether it is at day or night depends some on who makes it.

Some members only have a single identity, and thus can only take actions (including their faction kill) at day, or at night, depending on the identity.

Some members specialize in having multiple identities. When using the identity of a daytime character, they could take actions by day. When using the identity of a nighttime character, they could take actions by night.

In general, they will have the option to make the kill by either day or by night. But this influences who specifically is making the kill.

2 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Then there is the Not Talking for a third of the game. Will there at least be open PM's?

Also, a slight change to this.

PMs are indeed open, but you can only create 1 PM per cycle and they can only be between 2 people.

However, certain roles will start out in contact with certain other roles.

22 minutes ago, randuir said:

@Drake Marshall, I am a bit worried about only having a 24 hour lynch in an LG, as well as the 'no talking for a third cycle'. I was wondering if it would be possible to rearrange the cycles for a 48 hour false-light, and then the day and night hapoening in different threads in the same 24 hour slot. This might not fit the fluff quite as well, but it might help keeping everyone involved.

Hmmm...

Proposed amendment.

A day player can cast lynch votes during the day, and a night player may cast lynch votes during the night. As such, the order for a cycle will technically be:

night / day / falselight

Where the lynch takes place at the end of falselight.

In terms of flavor though what's actually happening is day / falselight / night, except the game would start on a night cycle.

Additionally, all day players have a group PM, and all night players have a group PM. The factions are free to use this during the time that they can't post, as well as communicating in any other PMs that they have. They are also free to conduct any trade during this time, as trade does not use up an action slot.

Either that or your suggestion of superpositioning day and night. In terms of gameplay, this might be a good pick, but I'm not going to give up my tripartite cycle structure just this yet if I can find an acceptable solution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 5:35 AM, randuir said:

If anyone's still looking, I'm interested in co-GMing an upcoming game.

My newest Shard game is coming up soonish - probably pretty soon after the AG. Those are always long and complicated,  and in desperate need of a co-GM.

@Seonid, I'd be happy to help. I haven't gm'd or co-gm'd a game yet though, so if your game has three variations on lg33's naming mechanic you might want to have someone slightly more experienced (though I'd still like to try that). I've played plenty of games though and would like to think I've got a basic understanding of the various mechanics.

@randuir, while the Shardic games do tend to be complicated, they are not LG18/26/33-level complicated. They’re a level below that, perhaps - go look at the ruleset for LG21/29 if you want the best idea, as this game would be most similar to those two. 

@Steeldancer, PM me the doc and I’ll drop it in the Committee’s group PM, at which point any member who knows they likely won’t play can enter it and the rest won’t. 

5 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

@randuir, while the Shardic games do tend to be complicated, they are not LG18/26/33-level complicated. They’re a level below that, perhaps - go look at the ruleset for LG21/29 if you want the best idea, as this game would be most similar to those two. 

@Steeldancer, PM me the doc and I’ll drop it in the Committee’s group PM, at which point any member who knows they likely won’t play can enter it and the rest won’t. 

Ok give me a few hours. I need to transcribe the rules from my notebook to a doc, and I'm kind of busy until 7. But I'll get it in tonight, because otherwise OB is totally going to take precedence. :ph34r:

Game idea:

Basics:

-Rollover is at 6:00 EST.
-There are unlimited PMs.
-Every two cycles, you must make a PM with someone you have not PMed with. If you do not do this, you will die.
-You can only vote on a player you have a PM with.
-Every player will start with a PM with a random player.
-The GMs must be in every PM you make.
-This game is role madness.
-You can only use your action on people you have a PM with. The Ghostblood kill is excluded from this.
-Group PMs are not allowed.

Factions:

Alethi: You win when every Ghostblood is dead.
Ghostbloods: You win when your team outnumbers the Alethi. You have a Google doc to talk in and a kill each cycle. One of the members of the Ghostblood team must put in the kill order. When a player is killed, you will be told who they had PMs with. Next cycle, you must kill one of the players your target had a PM with.

Roles:

Spearman: You can kill one player each cycle.
Guard: You can protect one player each cycle.
Former Bridgeman: You can survive one kill/lynch.
Spy: You can scan one player each cycle, causing you to discover their role and alignment.
Nobleman: Your vote counts as two votes.
Scribe: You can scan one player each cycle, discovering who they have PMs with.
Trash Collector: You are added to every PM that only has dead players in it.
Hunter: Each cycle, you can choose one player to follow. You will learn what action the player took that cycle (kill, protect, scan, or follow).

All comments on the rules are highly appreciated.

Edited by Straw

32 minutes ago, Straw said:

Game idea:

Basics:

Hide contents

-If you do not make at least one PM every two cycles, you will die.
-You can only use your action on people you have a PM with. The Ghostblood kill is excluded from this.

Factions:

Hide contents

Ghostbloods: You win when your team outnumbers the Alethi. You have a Google doc to talk in and a kill each cycle. One of the members of the Ghostblood team must put in the kill order. When a player is killed, you will be told who they had PMs with. Next cycle, you must kill one of the players your target had a PM with.

Roles:

Hide contents

Spy: You can scan one player each cycle, causing you to discover their role and alignment.
Hunter: Each cycle, you can choose one player to follow. You will learn what action the player took that cycle (kill, protect, scan, or follow).

I'm confused why anyone wouldn't make PMs with all players. It lets them target everyone, and vote on all possible players. Maybe add a limit of one PM per cycle?

2 minutes ago, Straw said:

Game idea:

Basics:

Hide contents

-If you do not make at least one PM every two cycles, you will die.

Factions:[/spoiler]
Ghostbloods: You win when your team outnumbers the Alethi. You have a Google doc to talk in and a kill each cycle. One of the members of the Ghostblood team must put in the kill order. When a player is killed, you will be told who they had PMs with. Next cycle, you must kill one of the players your target had a PM with.[/spoiler]Roles:

Hide contents

I quite like the structure of your game.

General balance depends a lot on role distribution for this.

In regard to the PMing thing though. Your rule that enforces PM creation helps with this, but in the early game it's still a valid option to use dead people's contacts to predict future attack targets and protect them... Maybe you are expecting this though.

But what happens if you fail an attack? Are you still only able to access the same target pool (probably not a good idea), or does that mean you can attack anyone you choose on the following cycle?

Finally... What if a player doesn't want to be PMed? It is strategically valid in this case to not want to be PMed by other people, but it's out of your control if somebody else PMs you. Just something worth considering.

@Sart, there are two main disadvantages to that strategy:

1. When the Ghostbloods kill someone, they receive a list of people the victim had PMs with. Therefore, the village has the biggest strategic advantage when villagers have as few PMs as possible.

2. The activity filter states that if you do not make at least one PM every two cycles, you will die. If a player followed your strategy of making PMs with everyone on day one, they would die from inactivity at the end of cycle three.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:53 AM, Seonid said:

My newest Shard game is coming up soonish - probably pretty soon after the AG. Those are always long and complicated,  and in desperate need of a co-GM.

I am ridiculously excited for this, LG29 was my first game, and probably my favorite to date. 

• 2 weeks later...

so i am making a non Sanderson game 
and i am supposed to get some feedback from here , so hello ?

well it will be set in the wormverse and more specificly in the agnosia miasma , cos it fits perfectly with the mafia  game style perfectly (a black out game , minimum information given preferably ), i also had a recomendation from bugsy that i could make it an anonymus game ,(but lets leave that on the side for now , cos it would depend on if i can get permissions and it can be implemented or not without changing much)

on the subject of a blackout game  , i am unsure of how much i should disclose here , cos i have some interesting ideas that would be better left unspoiled 
but the general rules are : the Slaughterhouse nine have come to rown , kill them all to win , you are unsure if you are a parahuman or not , you may use an action to remember who you are , and if you remember your triggeryou will be unable to vote the next day (game starts at night 0 and elims cant make a kill , but the are not affected by the miasma)

here is the doc if you want to spoil yourself  

p.s. i know the powerlevel of the rolse is kinda high (i'll try to bring it down ) 

Basics:

-Rollover will be at 6:00 PM EST.

-Every player has one action.
-There are infinite PMs.

Factions:

Knights Radiant: You win when all the Traitors are dead.

Traitors: You win when you outnumber the Knights Radiant. You have a doc to plot in and a kill each cycle.

Roles:

Each role has four single use abilities.

Windrunners:
-Adhesion: You can roleblock one player.
-Gravitation: You can target one player. All actions used on them will be redirected to target you.
-Protecting: You can save one player from any kill actions that are targeting them.
-Leading: When you die, a random player on your team that does not have any abilities will become a member of the order of Windrunners.

Skybreakers:
-Gravitation: You can target one player. All actions used on them will be redirected to target you.
-Division: You can kill one player.
-Just: You can scan one player, discovering their alignment.
-Confident: You can make your vote count as two votes.

Dustbringers:
-Abrasion: You can dodge all actions targeting you this cycle.
-Brave: When you die, your killer will be roleblocked for the next cycle.
-Obedient: Whenever you are part of a vote that has at least five other people in it, your vote will count double.

Edgedancers:
-Regrowth: You can save one player from death.
-Loving: All kill actions from your team will fail to kill you.
-Healing: You can nullify the vote of one player.

Truthwatchers:
-Illumination: You can change one player’s vote.
-Learned: You start the game knowing the role and alignment of a random player.
-Giving: You can recharge a random action of a player of your choice.

Lightweavers:
-Transformation: You kill one player. Their role and alignment will not be revealed when they die.
-Creativity: You can target one player, causing their role and alignment to be changed to your own.
-Honesty: Your role and alignment are revealed to a random player.

Elsecallers:
-Transformation: You kill one player. Their role and alignment will not be revealed when they die.
-Transportation: You swap two players, causing the actions that were targeting each player to target the other player.
-Wisdom: You know if you have been targeted by any actions.
-Care: You can nullify one player’s vote.

Willshapers:
-Transportation: You swap two players, causing the actions that were targeting each player to target the other player.
-Cohesion: You can roleblock one player.
-Resolute: Your vote cannot be nullified or changed.
-Builder: If the player you vote on is lynched and is a member of the other team, than your vote will count as two votes next cycle.

Stonewards:
-Tension: You can survive one kill.
-Dependable: When you vote on a player, you will automatically vote on that player every cycle until that player dies.
-Resourceful: You can refill one of your other abilities.

Bondsmiths:
-Pious: When you die, you kill two random members of your team.
-Guiding: You can convert a player of your choice to your team.

This is an idea for a game I might run. All feedback is highly appreciated.

Edited by Ookla the Insane

4 hours ago, Ookla the Insane said:

Basics:

Hide contents

-There are infinite PMs.

Factions:

Hide contents

Traitors: You win when you outnumber the Knights Radiant. You have a doc to plot in and a kill each cycle.

Roles:

Hide contents

Windrunners:
-Protecting: You can save one player from any kill actions that are targeting them.
-Leading: When you die, a random player on your team that does not have any abilities will become a member of the order of Windrunners.

Skybreakers:

Dustbringers:
-Obedient: Whenever you are part of a vote that has at least five other people in it, your vote will count double.

Edgedancers:

Truthwatchers:

Lightweavers:
-Creativity: You can target one player, causing their role and alignment to be changed to your own.

Elsecallers:

Willshapers:
-Builder: If the player you vote on is lynched and is a member of the other team, than your vote will count as two votes next cycle.

Stonewards:
-Dependable: When you vote on a player, you will automatically vote on that player every cycle until that player dies.

Bondsmiths:

Cool game idea. 

6 hours ago, Ookla the Insane said:

Basics:

Hide contents

-There are infinite PMs.

Factions:

Hide contents

Roles:

Hide contents

Windrunners:

Skybreakers:

Dustbringers:

Edgedancers:

Truthwatchers:

Lightweavers:

Elsecallers:

Willshapers:

Stonewards:

Bondsmiths:

When you say single use, that’s per game for all of those. Interesting way to make people think about their actions if so.

21 hours ago, Ookla the Insane said:

Basics:

Reveal hidden contents

-There are infinite PMs.

Factions:

Reveal hidden contents

Roles:

Hide contents

Windrunners:

Skybreakers:

Dustbringers:

Edgedancers:

Truthwatchers:

Lightweavers:

Elsecallers:

Willshapers:

Stonewards:

Bondsmiths:

For dependable, would you be able to change your vote?