The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

Love the idea for the setting Serendipity! That just feels so natural to the world; Kudos. 

I personally think the use of Seon's would be inspired.

Maybe make the Forgers a little like the Inventor that we were discussing earlier? They can give out single shot uses of some of the other powers, but they can't keep them for themselves?

That does leave you without a power for the Elantrians, if you use the Seons though. 

This is just off the top of my head, so I'm sure it'll need some balancing, but...

Elantrian - You're far from home, so your powers are incredibly weakened. 

You have three actions to choose from each night, but you can only choose one. 

• You can hide yourself, using Aon Shao. If you do not use this, you will be revealed to be an Elantrian.
  • You can send your Seon off to scan someone. They will report their findings at the end of the night. Because of this, you're illusion does not fall
  • While it is incredibly weak in comparison to what you're used to, you can use Aon Daa to kill one person. This drops your illusion and you'll be revealed. 

If you use something like this, I'm almost thinking that you should make the Dakhor and the Elantrians two smaller factions that are warring around a general populace. The general Citizen's goal is to remove both factions from their city, while the Dakhor and Elantrians need to out number not only the Citizens, but also the other faction. 

I'm just throwing ideas out there. Feel free to use them or discard them. 

I think the Seons could be kind of like the proxy role. If someone is a seon, they belong to another player, whether normal citizen or Elantrian. Their owner gets to control how they vote and what they say. The owner can set up a person for the seon to be Passed to if the owner dies or if they don't, then the seon floats around and is in control of itself. What do you think?

Maybe make the Forgers a little like the Inventor that we were discussing earlier? They can give out single shot uses of some of the other powers, but they can't keep them for themselves?

I was thinking the forgers would be like soothers or rioters. They stamp someone's personality for a day to change how they vote.

I like Meta's idea better though. Allows for some interesting dynamics. It would be really funny if you stamped the Dakhor without knowing it and not only would they gain the ability you gave them but they would actually not be a Dakhor anymore for that day. 

How about this idea? Instead of people having "seon" as a role, a certain number of people (Elantrian, Drakhor, villager, or otherwise) have Seons given to them. People with Seons can send PMs to other players, and the recipient may respond with 1 and only 1 PM, at least until the Seon Owner PMs him or her again. (obviously, if two Seon Owners start PMing each other they may communicate freely, which is in line with how Seons work in the book)

This is the ONLY way that Personal Messages may be sent (except for maybe the Dahkor- they ought to be able to PM each other during the night phase while picking their targets).

A player may, if he wishes, signify someone to inherit his Seon when he dies (by PMing the Moderator). If he doesn't signify an heir, the Seon is lost with him.

It would make for a very interesting game dynamic with such limited PMs.

I like it. In a lot of other games I've played, the GMs rarely allow such easy access to PMs like we have had in our games. The Evil Faction always has communication, but not everyone else. Using the Seons the way Hero suggests is a lot like a role we've used before called the note passer. They basically function the same way except they allow the person to open PMs for any two people, not just themselves and one other person, and it lasts for the cycle. I like the idea of being able to pass on the Seons too. That makes it a bit harder for the evil faction to just shut down communications. 

Could we do a 17th shard based one? Where different members have random abilities from every world and we have been infiltrated by Hoid (using his lightweaving powers) and we are trying to figure out who he is? Hoid would theoretically be able to have access to all powers we currently know he possess and he could have his Lerasium bead (which he could keep, or give to someone he converts to become a mistborn).

I would need your guys assistance in figuring out what powers he and the 17th shard members would have. But, I think this would be a fun way to tie all of the known cosmere worlds together.

*Note* we would also need to figure out how he could convert people.

Edited by Macen

Thanks for the feedback on the Elantris idea. I really like the idea of Dahkor sacrificing people to get more powers, and also the pm ability for Seons. (Maybe if a Dahkor ends up with a Seon its really a Skaze?)

I though of a couple more things to make the game interesting. First, citizens can be taken by the Shoad and become an Elantrian  (similar to Snapping). Second, all of the Aonic characters should have names with Aons in them.

It also occurred to me to mentioned that I wasn't really planning on running a game myself, so feel free to shamelessly incorporate my ideas.

Heh, I thought you meant the actual forum when I read that the first time.

Haha, I kind figured that might happen. :/

I'm going to think about it more tonight and see if I can get some more roles and environments put together for that to work.

Oh duh, why did we not think of this early? The perfect candidates for the bad guys in a Sel-based games? The Jeskeri Mysteries Cult! pretty much all we know about them is that they sneak around, hidden amongst society, and secretly kidnap and sacrifice people as part of their rituals. EDIT: As part of their rituals to petition the death of others. ;)

Edited by Herowannabe

• 2 weeks later...

does this role make sense?

BLOODMAKER (GOLD FERRING): A bloodmaker stores health. During each night cycle, they can store health. This has no visible affect during storage, but later they can tap their goldmind to survive attacks. Tapping a goldmind will last through the night and next day cycle, but will only allow the bloodmaker to survive one attack. The charge in the metalmind is lost whether or not the bloodmaker is attacked.

Edited by jasonpenguin

does this role make sense?

BLOODMAKER (GOLD FERRING): A bloodmaker stores health. During each night cycle, they can store health. This has no visible affect during storage, but later they can tap their goldmind to survive attacks. Tapping a goldmind will last through the night and next day cycle, but will only allow the bloodmaker to survive one attack. The charge in the metalmind is lost whether or not the bloodmaker is attacked.

Basicly this means they can only be killed every second night or you need two attacks. This would be the Thug equivalent for the Ferrings and for that it works. It is basicly a higher risk version of the Thug, if you are unlucky you don´t get to use your power if you are lucky you get potentally infinite lifes.

For clarifications sake. are they forced to tap their charge on the next cycle or can they store as long as they want.

Allomancy:

Bendalloy=if killed during the night, you stay alive until the end of the day, when you die.

Cadmium=can skip a day every few days. Can't vote or die on this day.

Chromium=leech another misting

Nicrosil=burst another misting

Aluminum=impervious to soothing/rioting

duralumin for mistborn=don't use action one turn, supercharge it the next turn

gold?

electrum?

Feruchemy:

Brute=Thug

Windwhisperer=Tineye

I've thought about basically giving Bloodmaker's the Thug's power- the ability to survive one attack, and then changing the thug to the same power as the Hunter role in Werewolves: "At the time of your death, you may immediately kill one other player." Basically, it lets you take someone out with you.

I'm going to merge this with the Art of Creating Roles Thread, as that is basically what you're doing here. You're trying to come up with new Roles and as such, you'll get a lot more feedback over there. 

EDIT: Well played Swimmingly, well played. :P

Edited by Metacognition

I've thought about basically giving Bloodmaker's the Thug's power- the ability to survive one attack, and then changing the thug to the same power as the Hunter role in Werewolves: "At the time of your death, you may immediately kill one other player." Basically, it lets you take someone out with you.

i might have to make this a thing

That would be a kind of pointless use of the power, but yeah. It would reveal if you've been Rioted, Soothed, Seeked, Smoked, Lurched, Coinshot(ed?),  or any combination of the above.

Now that I'm really thinking about it, this could actually be pretty darn useful in the game that's going on right now. :P