Do your worst!...literally.

Quiver

Good stories are built upon the splintered words and malformed turns of phrases of bad ones. And so, as we enter this season of spooks and frights, I propose we should make like ghoulish graverobbers and exhume these literary abominations from their tombs. For when hell is full, the Mary Sue shall walk the earth!

...in less sensationalist, and quickly dated, words... I think we all want to write good ideas. That doesn't deny that everyone has had some bad ideas. Power fantasies, shallow characters, "borrowed" plots, generic locals and, yes, the ever dreaded and derided "Mary Sue"...

So...counterpoint to the Creation Daily thread (but one which might help spark the sane creative flames): what are the worst ideas you've ever had?

A Star Wars ripoff called The Legeand of the Black Diamond. The main character's name was Elleinad. Mine is Danielle. Her instalove interest's name was Kaland. They fought an evil space wizard named Zardan with soundsabers. 

Yes. Soundsabers. 

One of his minions was named Nikiki. A girl who occasionally picked on and frequently annoyed me at the time was named Nikki. When she went full evil, I described her new outfit by using "jet black" five times in a three-sentence paragraph. Kaland randomly gained the power to breathe underwater at one point for reasons lost to time, while Elleinad gained mind reading powers out of the blue. Zardan was eventually defeated by losing his balance and falling off a cliff, shouting "Noooo" the whole time. I was writing this monstrosity out by hand, so I gradually decreased the size of the letter O in "Nooooooooooo." 

They lived happily ever after, but for some weird reason I fed the whole story to the shredder years ago. :ph34r: 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Oh, jeez this is going to get badminton(for some reason my phone auto corrected bad into badminton, I'm keeping it) 

I once had idea for a short story were the main protagonist that witnessed his parents deaths and decided to be a vigilante swordsman. 

I made it all the way to like my 3rd draft before I realized what I did.

I can post the first two chapters of the worst book I ever tried to write. The premise of the book being that a war in the 'christian' 'heaven' allowed the 'devil' to reach the source of power that keeps the universe running: The Word of God. As the devil grasps the enchanted gem (I implied that it wasnt really what it sounded like) the greater portion of it violently rejects him, splitting itself in half to get away. Then the gem gains sentience and ends up meeting Mother-Earth Gaea, shortly followed by Sky-Father Ouranos. he then leaves them alone only to be completely swallowed by the earth and turned back into a crystal. After that it changes completely and becomes a time travel novel. Not my best work.

An over-arching storyline which starts when a person obtain a self-replicating energy particle capable of generating and manipulating energy at little cost. Using them, he became essentially immortal as he could use the particles to record his brain state, and directly manipulate molecular structures to preserve his body. The various stories I've conceptualized deal with the limited spread of this power throughout the world and the various problems which would occur as result of having a number of immortals appear within society, each with the same base powers of atomic manipulation. The issue was the base concept of the powers which are pretty much just an escapist idea. The amount of material I've come up with is a lot compared to my other ideas, but I'm trying hard to distance myself from it because it wouldn't make for a very good story in my opinion.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

Worst ideas?

Aside from fanfiction I wrote as a fourteen year old... 

Nowadays, I've been writing a novel everyone I know has been begging me to stop, since its premise is too depressing. I call it "The Farmboy."

The pitch? It's a total subversion of the Hero's Journey in fantasy stories. You know the type, where the farm boy goes on an epic quest and is secretly found to be a king or something? That old chestnut. In this story, the Farmboy finds literally all of his childhood friends get to go on these amazing adventures or have been secretly royalty all along, but himself? He's just an ordinary Farmboy. 

No rebel plans fall into his lap. He doesn't inherit a magic ring. He isn't found to be the long lost son of the king.

Nope. 

He's a frustratingly normal boy in a world that, really, only favours Heroes & Protagonists. He is neither. His goal in life, at best, is to be a minor character in someone else's story.

Heh heh, it's meant to be an existential dark comedy. Like A Serious Man, but in the fantasy genre. I've been told it's too frustratingly depressing and nihilistic to be a readable, heh heh.

17 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

Worst ideas?

Nowadays, I've been writing a novel everyone I know has been begging me to stop, since its premise is too depressing. I call it "The Farmboy."

The pitch? It's a total subversion of the Hero's Journey in fantasy stories. You know the type, where the farm boy goes on an epic quest and is secretly found to be a king or something? That old chestnut. In this story, the Farmboy finds literally all of his childhood friends get to go on these amazing adventures or have been secretly royalty all along, but himself? He's just an ordinary Farmboy. 

No rebel plans fall into his lap. He doesn't inherit a magic ring. He isn't found to be the long lost son of the king.

Nope. 

He's a frustratingly normal boy in a world that, really, only favours Heroes & Protagonists. He is neither. His goal in life, at best, is to be a minor character in someone else's story.

Heh heh, it's meant to be an existential dark comedy. Like A Serious Man, but in the fantasy genre. I've been told it's too frustratingly depressing and nihilistic to be a readable, heh heh.

Haha, I like this idea!

It reminds me of a similar couple of ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for a while.

One is dubbed NPC Quest in my mind, and like your own, is the typical hero coming of age, hero's journey story with a twist. It would be told entirely from the point of view of an NPC, a blacksmith or a shopkeeper, having to deal with the sudden emergence of a dark lord, or trolls invading and wrecking his shop, or the gripes of adventurers knocking on his door at all hours, demanding he fix their swords, armour, or trying to sell him dragon scales with an inch of viscera still attached.

It would be a comedy, probably a sarcastic, perhaps dark one, but I can't decide on a first or third person perspective to it, or if it'd be interesting enough if I kept it grounded in one setting. Should I tantalise the reader with descriptions of the epic battle between glowing pillars of light and dark, their champions floating in the centre, clashing on a plane of existance only souls and gods can reach... before the shopkeeper closes his blinds to cut out the glare and goes back to his tax returns or mending a bootprint in a door from a beserker? Or should I have him end up unwittingly following along on the journey of the hero, moving his shop away from town after the first invasion of goblins, only to find that the little snot from the farm who suddenly fancies himself king turns up at his new city, bringing a horde of dark ones after him?

The other idea is also a twist on the classic hero's journey, but the twist at the end of the first book would be that we find out the hero isn't a hero at all. Our protagonist, who's proved himself through trials of fire, combat and prophecy... has engineered it all to convince people he's a hero. Perhaps to gain power for it's own sake, perhaps to bring peace to his land by fabricating the emergence of some dark demon god, I haven't completely decided yet. Either way, he has to keep it a secret from those that trust him, love him and die for him.

33 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

Worst ideas?

Nope. 

I'll be honest: I don't think I would read that. I mean, it's a good idea and all, but….well, it just sounds depressing. :/ 

7 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

Haha, I like this idea!

It reminds me of a similar couple of ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for a while.

One is dubbed NPC Quest in my mind, and like your own, is the typical hero coming of age, hero's journey story with a twist. It would be told entirely from the point of view of an NPC, a blacksmith or a shopkeeper, having to deal with the sudden emergence of a dark lord, or trolls invading and wrecking his shop, or the gripes of adventurers knocking on his door at all hours, demanding he fix their swords, armour, or trying to sell him dragon scales with an inch of viscera still attached.

It would be a comedy, probably a sarcastic, perhaps dark one, but I can't decide on a first or third person perspective to it, or if it'd be interesting enough if I kept it grounded in one setting. Should I tantalise the reader with descriptions of the epic battle between glowing pillars of light and dark, their champions floating in the centre, clashing on a plane of existance only souls and gods can reach... before the shopkeeper closes his blinds to cut out the glare and goes back to his tax returns or mending a bootprint in a door from a beserker? Or should I have him end up unwittingly following along on the journey of the hero, moving his shop away from town after the first invasion of goblins, only to find that the little snot from the farm who suddenly fancies himself king turns up at his new city, bringing a horde of dark ones after him?

The other idea is also a twist on the classic hero's journey, but the twist at the end of the first book would be that we find out the hero isn't a hero at all. Our protagonist, who's proved himself through trials of fire, combat and prophecy... has engineered it all to convince people he's a hero. Perhaps to gain power for it's own sake, perhaps to bring peace to his land by fabricating the emergence of some dark demon god, I haven't completely decided yet. Either way, he has to keep it a secret from those that trust him, love him and die for him.

I would read either one of those, though. :ph34r: 

32 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

Haha, I like this idea!

That last one, actually, is nearly beat for beat the plot of R. Scott Bakker's Second Apocalypse series.

25 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'll be honest: I don't think I would read that. I mean, it's a good idea and all, but….well, it just sounds depressing. :/ 

In my defence, for every Mistborn or Hobbit or other high fantasy yarn, you can't help but think that every regular person must be seen as little more than cannon fodder by the gods or the Powers That Be if only a select handful of people in all the universe are deemed truly important. Sort of the point I want to make, really; it's all a bit unfair for the ordinary person if destiny chooses some bugger for a story because they have the magic ring or genes.

Edited by Quadrophenia

42 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Awww, thanks! Haha, I'll have to actually try and write one of them soon XD

17 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

That last one, actually, is nearly beat for beat the plot of R. Scott Bakker's Second Apocalypse series.

Huh. I've never heard of that series, I'll have to look it up o3o And here I thought I was being somewhat original...

14 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

In my defence, for every Mistborn or Hobbit or other high fantasy yarn, you can't help but think that every regular person must be seen as little more than cannon fodder by the gods or the Powers That Be if only a select handful of people in all the universe are deemed truly important. Sort of the point I want to make, really; it's all a bit unfair for the ordinary person if destiny chooses some bugger for a story because they have the magic ring or genes.

I don't disagree that it's a valid point to make about fantasy worlds. I'm just saying that it's a depressing reality to read about. No one wants to be reminded of their own insignificance, or how fame and fortune are probably going to pass them by in favor of their more attractive, more talented neighbors. It's like watching your newsfeed and seeing all of your high school friends marrying each other, going to Europe, being interviewed on talk shows, and (most visibly) getting a million likes for sharing the exact same posts you share—sure, it happens, but that doesn't make it fun to read about. 

9 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I don't disagree that it's a valid point to make about fantasy worlds. I'm just saying that it's a depressing reality to read about. No one wants to be reminded of their own insignificance, or how fame and fortune are probably going to pass them by in favor of their more attractive, more talented neighbors. It's like watching your newsfeed and seeing all of your high school friends marrying each other, going to Europe, being interviewed on talk shows, and (most visibly) getting a million likes for sharing the exact same posts you share—sure, it happens, but that doesn't make it fun to read about. 

Heh, precisely. Think of it as the fantasy equivalent of BoJack Horseman.

Edited by Quadrophenia

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

No one wants to be reminded of their own insignificance

This is exactly why I love Lovecraft and Thomas Ligotti so much... I was going to go on a nihilistic/misanthropic rant here, but I'll spare you from that.

And I dont know about the rest of your post, it is very relatable and there is definitely comedy in it.

@Quadrophenia I say write it!

Edited by Zathoth

14 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

This is exactly why I love Lovecraft and Thomas Ligotti so much... I was going to go on a nihilistic/misanthropic rant here, but I'll spare you from that.

And I dont know about the rest of your post, it is very relatable and there is definitely comedy in it.

@Quadrophenia I say write it!

There's room in the world for all kinds of stories; even ones that don't especially lift our spirits. Even ones that, quite the reverse, sink our spirits into the mud. 

It's Aristotle's Theory of Catharsis: we love (fiction-wise) tragedy, drama and horror so that we have a means to expunge certain feelings from ourselves. It's cleansing the palette. We have to be reminded of the darker stuff every now and then so that, in reality, we'll eventually learn how to deal with it properly.

6 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

Worst ideas?

Nope. 

I don't know if I'd read it but I do like the sound of this.

My worst idea....oh god. I was trying to be funny. It was so so bad. I don't remember the details, it didn't get past about 700 words, it involved elephants and I think it rained peanuts? I'm tempted to look for it now....if I find it you've been warned.

*ahem*

Many years ago, a dangerous substance called ‘peanut’ introduced itself to the African savannah, and naught  but destruction followed in it’s wake. The grass withered, crops failed, all life left. The weather turned foul, and terrible storms swept across the earth, followed by a hot sun which cooked the earth for over a decade. During this time, peanuts pelted down incessantly, and all creatures learned to fear it. Due to the heat and the amount of peanuts crushed underfoot, this period of time became known as the Peanut Batter.

The weather eventually returned to normal, but not many had survived. All the wildebeest died of allergies, as did a lot of the leopards. The survivors banded together, discovered that peanuts were edible, and set about happily collecting them
  But these were not people. They weren’t zebras.  No, these were baboons.  
  Baboons of the long-legged, short-tailed kind, who could conveniently stuff handfuls of peanuts into their cheek pouches, run somewhere safe, and eat them away from their greedy family members. But they stuck together, because, after all, family is important, and it is hard to torment elephants alone.
  Tim was a particularly fine young elephant, fourteen or so years old, and born soon after the Great Peanut Battering. While the elders spoke of grass, and other memories from the peanut-free world, he flicked his trunk dismissively. He was young, strong and living in the present. And Joe was pushing trees over again.

I was so proud of my research......

Edited by Delightful
spoiler fun!

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

My worst idea....oh god. I was trying to be funny. It was so so bad. I don't remember the details, it didn't get past about 700 words, it involved elephants and I think it rained peanuts? I'm tempted to look for it now....if I find it you've been warned.

*ahem*

Hide contents

Hide contents

Many years ago, a dangerous substance called ‘peanut’ introduced itself to the African savannah, and naught  but destruction followed in it’s wake. The grass withered, crops failed, all life left. The weather turned foul, and terrible storms swept across the earth, followed by a hot sun which cooked the earth for over a decade. During this time, peanuts pelted down incessantly, and all creatures learned to fear it. Due to the heat and the amount of peanuts crushed underfoot, this period of time became known as the Peanut Batter.

The weather eventually returned to normal, but not many had survived. All the wildebeest died of allergies, as did a lot of the leopards. The survivors banded together, discovered that peanuts were edible, and set about happily collecting them
  But these were not people. They weren’t zebras.  No, these were baboons.  
  Baboons of the long-legged, short-tailed kind, who could conveniently stuff handfuls of peanuts into their cheek pouches, run somewhere safe, and eat them away from their greedy family members. But they stuck together, because, after all, family is important, and it is hard to torment elephants alone.
  Tim was a particularly fine young elephant, fourteen or so years old, and born soon after the Great Peanut Battering. While the elders spoke of grass, and other memories from the peanut-free world, he flicked his trunk dismissively. He was young, strong and living in the present. And Joe was pushing trees over again.

I was so proud of my research......

This reminds me of something I made...

The setting is a motel

Spoiler

"I would like a room for me, my wife and my kittens" said the black cat in a low voice entirely unbefitting of a cat.
"I see" said the mildly confused man sitting at the motel reception, mildly bothered due to having been interrupted from an especially juicy part of the mystery novel he was reading.
"Yes. We need a place to sleep, me and my family" Said the cat again as a stroller rolled in, filled with kittens.
"We will pay, of course." Said the white, female cat in a bright, female voice, entirely unfitting of a cat.
"You may find that the wallet on the desk have enough money for our stay" said the black cat, in a voice still entirely unbefitting of a cat.
There was indeed a wallet on the reception desk, filled with money.
"How long will you be staying?" asked the man at the reception, still wondering if this was all a strange dream.
"Only for the night" said the white, female cat.
"Well then" said the clerk, took out a bill from the wallet and put it in the cash register with a ching (as such is the sound cash registers make, or rather the 'ching' is an onomatopoeia for the sound cash registers make) and walked over to where the keys were hanging, wondering how the cats would even operate a key, or where the wallet had come from, as cats in general do not have pockets.
The clerk handed The Cats the key to room 5 "Up the stairs, to the left" said the clerk.
Mr Cat took the key in his mouth and walked up the stairs. Behind him followed his wife and the stroller full of kittens. Even if strollers usually do not roll unmanned, especially not up stairs, this particular stroller seemed to have that ability.
With the cats gone the clerk returned to the juicy part of his mystery novel, which he found had the flavor of pineapple.
A few hours came and a few hours went and the man finished his mystery novel. He had guessed the identity of the murderer entirely wrong, but the clerk he blamed a red herring the author had written in just to make him think the murderer was someone else. Good job author thought the clerk.
Speaking of red herrings. "Blub" said the red herring.
"I see" said the clerk and went to get the key to room number 4. The red herring payed with a credit card, took the key in its mouth and swam up the stairs.
"Fish can not swim in the air" thought the clerk to himself, now being bored because of the lack of entertainment.
He decided to go sleep in the back and he had a strange dream of a red herring swimming in pineapple juice, being chased by sharks with claws. That was terrifying, thought the dream clerk. Sharks are plenty terrifying without claws.
The clerk awoke to the sound of the bell at the front desk and found The Cats there.
"We need to check out now, due to unforeseen circumstances" said Mr Cat.
"I see" said the clerk.
"Yes" said Mr Cat and handed back the key to room 5.
He went out the door, followed by his wife and the stroller filled with kittens.
The clerk was about to go to sleep when he heard a familiar "Blub".
"Hello, are you leaving as well?" Said the clerk to the red herring who was looking slightly transparent, but this, the man figured, was probably due to a trick of the light.
"Blub" said the slightly transparent red herring and handed back the key.
"I see" said the clerk as the slightly transparent red herring swam out the door.
Later when the clerk opened the cash register he found a dead bird in there.

As for actually horrible stuff... I'll dig out my first horror short for you some day. It's terrible.

My worst idea. I think someone may have Spiked my drink or something like that, but when I was 12. me and my mate came up with a story about an Angel from hell that rode a fire breathing mechanical unicorn that turned into a motorbike who went on quests set by God and killed wrong doers whilst God watched and ate popcorn.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 7:20 AM, Quadrophenia said:

Worst ideas?

Nope. 

Obviously a deeply serious philosophical work dedicated to exploring the plight of minorities and coming of age in our modern society. You should publish it for prosperity so that centeries from now students from all over the world will be able to read it in school.

;)

Oh. I have one. 

It was my first story idea ever. I had just recently read Eragon, and I was inspired. My hero, Erif, and his brother, Nithgil, were farmers in their small village at the edge of the evil empire. A volcano explodes and only they escape. Afterwards they meet two elven half-sisters named Eneless and Thiglnus (which I later changed to Thiglena). Cue dragons, dwarves, magic, and the revelation that Eneless's father was the evil emperor. ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*(◕ᴗ◕✿) *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Though I have since recycled these characters and they're okay now.

18 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

Oh. I have one. 

It was my first story idea ever. I had just recently read Eragon, and I was inspired. My hero, Erif, and his brother, Nithgil, were farmers in their small village at the edge of the evil empire. A volcano explodes and only they escape. Afterwards they meet two elven half-sisters named Eneless and Thiglnus (which I later changed to Thiglena). Cue dragons, dwarves, magic, and the revelation that Eneless's father was the evil emperor. ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*(◕ᴗ◕✿) *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Though I have since recycled these characters and they're okay now.

Ooohhhhhhhhhh Eragon. I remember the first time I read that book. -_- I was 15 and also inspired by Paolini's success when I wrote Renegade Sorceress (which is now at the bottom of a garbage bin, for some reason :ph34r: )  though I did get a little annoyed when I saw that he'd named one of his rivers Anora, which was one letter off from my Enora River. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Worst idea: a story in where six preteens are secretly dragon riders from a magical world were all the myths, legends, and fairy tails of our world got transported to by a dragon star god. These preteens were also all "chosen ones" destined to save the land of Lore from the evil Dark Dragon and his minion, Fang Shaw. I made this back in junior high, before I knew what copyright was and included a lot of stuff from Artix Games, specifically Dragonfable and AdventureQuest Worlds. It had some neat ideas, but had terrible execution. How bad, you ask? Our six heroes get a spaceship at one point, then go to Atlantis and become merpeople; I am not kidding. 

All of my ideas are amazing. All of them.

ALL of them.

...but my least amazing idea was something I tried to write eight or nine years ago, with an immensely cliched villain, immensely cliched heroes, and an immensely cliched plot about collecting magical keys from around the world. Yes, I read 39 clues back then. So sue me.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in elementary school, I wrote a short story about a cyborg mushroom who had to save the forest from the trees. He had a giant lazer that could kill the trees in one shot, but there were so many of them that he had to get out his cybernetically implanted cell phone and call up the grim reaper to kill the rest of the trees. I also drew a picture for it. I "lost" that picture. And the story. And my pride.

On 12/14/2016 at 4:10 PM, Kynedath said:

Back in elementary school, I wrote a short story about a cyborg mushroom who had to save the forest from the trees. He had a giant lazer that could kill the trees in one shot, but there were so many of them that he had to get out his cybernetically implanted cell phone and call up the grim reaper to kill the rest of the trees. I also drew a picture for it. I "lost" that picture. And the story. And my pride.

"10/10, A revolution in the sci-fi genre"

The New York Times 

Send me the full file as PDF in personal messages

Edited by Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew