(Spoilers for WoR & BoM) Questions about Lift

Steelheart

If you gave Lift an unkeyed Nourishment metalmind, could she fill it and then Tap it later for Investiture? What if you gave her an unkeyed Nicrosilmind - could she eat and fill it with food?

Also, do we know if she can eat in addition to Breathing in Stormlight, or instead of?

Fun question: Who would eat more at an all-you-can-eat restaurant; Sarene or Lift? 

Relevant WoB:

Interview: Feb 20th, 2015

Argent

Does Lift turn food into investiture directly or is it similar to the metals on--

Brandon Sanderson

Similar to the metals.

Argent

So like a gate?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

Okay, that’s good to know.

Brandon Sanderson

She can metabolize-- She can draw-- It’s not actually the food, it’s-- It’s not like the metals, not exactly. It’s not-- What she can do is she can metabolize into investiture instead of sugar. Does that make sense?

Argent

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

We metabolize food into sugar. She can metabolize it into investiture. Does that make sense?

Argent

That makes a lot of sense. So if she eats--

Brandon Sanderson

She’s got to have a blood sugar spike.

Argent

So if she eats like a cake it will give her more investiture--

Brandon Sanderson

Faster. It will give her faster.

Argent

Whereas if she eats a vegetable...

Brandon Sanderson

Vegetable... More calories is going to equal more. But the better comparison would be a sausage and bread. Because bread is a fast blood sugar spike and the sausage is not. And that’s how I’m working in my head. It’s kind of a magical version of a blood sugar spike and I have it happen to her faster than it could happen. Like normally you eat a piece of bread and your blood sugar spikes in a half hour, it’s going to go faster for Lift.

Argent

Her’s is like five minutes.

Brandon Sanderson

Her’s is like five minutes, but a sausage would be slower.

I'm guessing she could fill both metalminds (although she would fill the Nicrosilmind with Investiture, using food, which I think is what you meant).

The Coppermind says "She does not learn how to drain Stormlight from external sources, so the amount of Stormlight she can use is limited by the amount of food she has eaten.", but there is no source, so I can't confirm it.

For the last question, the answer is Lift. I don't think we have a WoB on this, I'm afraid.

My question has always been. If Lift eats food, then turns it all into stormlight, does she get any of the nourishment?

If it disappears from your stomach like the metals do, how does her body survive without getting any of the calories. She will starve if she constantly turns it all into stormlight.

When she uses stormlight she gets hungry, remember when she's running from Nale she uses a bunch of stormlight, and then gets lightheaded and dizzy, so no i dont think she gets nutritional nourishment from food that she's turned into stormlight. plus, based on what is mentioned above, she metabolizes food into stormlight instead of carbs.

58 minutes ago, Eki said:

The Coppermind says "She does not learn how to drain Stormlight from external sources, so the amount of Stormlight she can use is limited by the amount of food she has eaten.", but there is no source, so I can't confirm it.

I imagine it's from the chapter or from Brandon, but it is more that because she can just use food for it, she hasn't learned how to take it from gems.

1 hour ago, tobar14 said:

My question has always been. If Lift eats food, then turns it all into stormlight, does she get any of the nourishment?

If it disappears from your stomach like the metals do, how does her body survive without getting any of the calories. She will starve if she constantly turns it all into stormlight.

Lift mentions that Wyndle was worried she would get malnourished. She might still get all the non-sugar (and non-fat?) stuff, like minerals, vitamins and proteins.

49 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I imagine it's from the chapter or from Brandon, but it is more that because she can just use food for it, she hasn't learned how to take it from gems.

Wyndle would know though. I mean, she only has one sphere, but you'd think Wyndle would ask her to use it, especially if he's worried about her health. She might not listen, but...

I think it would be more interesting if she couldn't use spheres, honestly.

5 hours ago, Steelheart said:

What if you gave her an unkeyed Nicrosilmind - could she eat and fill it with food?

What do you mean by this? Using the nicrosil to gain chromium feruchemy to fill the chromiummind with calories? Or do you mean, literally filling the nicrosilmind with food? If the former, then yes, that would be possible. If the latter, no, because food isn't investiture. Gaining stormlight from calories is a one-way process which consumes the calories irreversibly. Also, it's debatable whether stormlight can be stored in a nicrosilmind, and I'm leaning towards it cannot be, based on what we've seen of nicrosil feruchemy.

13 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

What do you mean by this? Using the nicrosil to gain chromium feruchemy to fill the chromiummind with calories? Or do you mean, literally filling the nicrosilmind with food? If the former, then yes, that would be possible. If the latter, no, because food isn't investiture. Gaining stormlight from calories is a one-way process which consumes the calories irreversibly. Also, it's debatable whether stormlight can be stored in a nicrosilmind, and I'm leaning towards it cannot be, based on what we've seen of nicrosil feruchemy.

I meant can she store the newly-converted Investiture in the Nicrosilmind? Or would she have to use it immediately? 

13 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Also, it's debatable whether stormlight can be stored in a nicrosilmind, and I'm leaning towards it cannot be, based on what we've seen of nicrosil feruchemy.

Thinking about it, you may be right on this. But we've only seen nicrosil used in very specific situations, and (as far as we know, I guess) only on Scadrial. So it might be able to do more than we think.

23 minutes ago, Eki said:

Thinking about it, you may be right on this. But we've only seen nicrosil used in very specific situations, and (as far as we know, I guess) only on Scadrial. So it might be able to do more than we think.

When have we seen it being used?

3 hours ago, Steelheart said:

I meant can she store the newly-converted Investiture in the Nicrosilmind? Or would she have to use it immediately? 

2 hours ago, Eki said:

While it's true that we haven't seen much use of nicrosil feruchemy, all that we have seen is its usage in storing innate investiture related to the usage of manifestations of investiture. While this doesn't exclude the storage of kinetic investiture, like Stormlight as well, since it is described as the storage of investiture, feruchemy usually doesn't have that broad a definition of the attribute a branch stores. As such, I'm inclined towards it only storing innate investiture. From that, I'm inclined to believe that it can only store innate investiture related to using manifestations of investiture, since a more broad storing would, in essence, start coinciding with other branches of feruchemy, as I'm fairly certain that connection and identity are related to innate investiture as well.

Also, Lift would need an unsealed unkeyed nicrosilmind in order to tap the ability to use nicrosil feruchemy so that she can store investiture. An unkeyed mind would be useless since she doesn't posseses the ability to tap nicrosil.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

• Chaos locked this topic