Arcanum Unbounded Tour Thread

6 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Why does he never come to the Big Apple? I mean, his editor lives in QUEENS! Do they never visit each other? I could make it to most places in NYC. Not so much out of state.

He flies to Chicago occasionally to record Writing Excuses with Mary Robinette Kowal, but you don't see me rage that I don't get to see him during those visits <3 That is not to say that I don't get a little frustrated when he goes "I am in Chicago right now" - you just don't see me :)

But I figure he is 100% off limits if he is traveling for reasons other than tours. 

41 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Why does he never come to the Big Apple? I mean, his editor lives in QUEENS! Do they never visit each other? I could make it to most places in NYC. Not so much out of state.

He's spoken about it before. Supposedly NYC bookstores generally only want authors during the week of release for the book (and not later on in the tour) and for Brandon it makes more sense to go to the west coast during release week since those events are consistently larger than his NYC signings. Also isn't Hoboken just across the river from Manhattan? Is it that difficult to get there? (I legitimately don't know, the Tappan Zee is about as close to NYC as I've been in years.)

9 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I'm due to give birth then so I want to stay near the hospitals I know. I may try anyway if it works out. It's still trickier than taking a train to the city though. 

I'm not raging, just wishful.

Congratulations in advance, then, and best of luck!  

11 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I'm due to give birth then so I want to stay near the hospitals I know. I may try anyway if it works out. It's still trickier than taking a train to the city though. 

I'm not raging, just wishful.

Okay, yeah that makes total sense. Good luck!

12 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone at the signings could stream them through Discord so that transcribing can be made a bit easier.

How would this be different from regular recordings? Other than the video component.

2 hours ago, Argent said:

How would this be different from regular recordings? Other than the video component.

It would basically serve as a live-stream recording, I think? Except if there's some method where you can just record it then share it later, but idk.

But that's probably not the best idea in case some information accidentally gets released that shouldn't be...or a fan asks something that might verge on private/they just don't want to share, both have happened in the past, so, it's best to use older methods to record it.

Depending on the platform, it may be possible for a live stream to be easily and quickly paused and then resumed. I am not familiar with the different platforms, however. Ideally, I think a video recording (and I consider a live stream a flavor of that) is a better way to record those events - some questions and answers make more sense with body language factored in, and sometimes it's just plain easier to interpret bad audio by pseudo lip reading. Not to mention that you kind of give a chance for people who cannot be at the event to, if not participate, then at least join in. 

So in all those regards, a live stream is a good idea.

There would, of course, have to be a disclaimer made to the entire audience, letting them know that the event is being recorded, and if they don't want to be on camera, they can signal a designated assistant who will pause/resume the recording. Brandon himself will probably be perfectly fine with this kind of stuff (Light knows, he tolerates all kinds of obsessive behavior from us!), but he should also be definitely able to request a pause while he answers a question in private. 

So think there is definitely merit to this, but the logistics of it will need to be hammered out. Maybe I'll check with the Chicago people, see if anyone has ideas on the matter for our signing in December.

Just a question. I have already bought all of the short stories that have previously been published in the Arcanum unbounded. I don't suppose there will be a cheaper version comprised only of the new stories? I know I will end up buying it either way, but I feel like that would be a fair option to a lot of people like myself, who buy basically everything Brandon publishes.

1 hour ago, johnnycage720 said:

Just a question. I have already bought all of the short stories that have previously been published in the Arcanum unbounded. I don't suppose there will be a cheaper version comprised only of the new stories? I know I will end up buying it either way, but I feel like that would be a fair option to a lot of people like myself, who buy basically everything Brandon publishes.

I can't imagine that they would want to print two different versions of same collection, especially since the only "new" story here is the Lift Novella (all the others have been published either online or in print somewhere). I would also say it's very possible that the novella will come out as a stand-alone e-book at some point (though that could be a year from now or more), and it's also likely that the collection will come out in paperback at some point. If you have a reddit or twitter account, you could always ask Brandon/Peter about the future plans for these stories. But I very much doubt that we will see a version of Arcanum Unbounded with different contents, especially since I'm not even really sure which stories you mean by "new stories".