Internet security question

Quiver

6 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Nope. You're all just connected to the same internet source, not to each other (more or less).

Of course, there are ways to mess with people on your wifi but it's highly improbable somebody in your viccinity knows how AND wants to do it.

Well, that's reassuring!

Thanks! Sorry! I get very...paranoid, I suppose, about Internet security, and I was worried since YouTube seemed to be acting odd

(There was a weird lag when opening new videos, where the sound started playing before videos loaded. So... I dunno. Was worried something was seriously wrong, or I was gonna have to reboot my machine.)

16 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

For futher reassurance, it's possible to connect two computers through wifi... but it requires cooperation at both sides and it still took me some time even with both computers accessible and having admin rights over the router.

So...unlikely to be hacked into, is what you're saying?

(again, sorry. I...yeah. Worry a lot. Heck, the fact that you aren't saying the chance is 0% is still making me consider rebooting the whole thing...)

Because the chance isn't 0%. However, the chance you will not die right now also isn't 0%. A meteor could drop out of the sky, for example.

For all practical purposes it's not something to worry about. (Or else we would be too afraid too afraid to leave homes cause the brakes in the car could simultaneously break just as you're crossing the street - you get what I'm getting at?)

3 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Because the chance isn't 0%. However, the chance you will not die right now also isn't 0%. A meteor could drop out of the sky, for example.

For all practical purposes it's not something to worry about. (Or else we would be too afraid too afraid to leave homes cause the brakes in the car could simultaneously break just as you're crossing the street - you get what I'm getting at?)

Yeah, I know what you mean. As I say, I just tend to be somewhat...fearful ofonline stuff? Is a bad habit. Sorry!

(Any idea what would have caused the YouTube lag though? Almost certain that didn't happen on my home Internet...)

51 minutes ago, Quiver said:

(Any idea what would have caused the YouTube lag though? Almost certain that didn't happen on my home Internet...)

I suspect a bandwidth problem. If your hotel has only one router, or if it has multiple routers but also very many users using them, traffic through the router will seem laggy because the router has too many packet send/receive requests coming to it in a second than it can do in a second. Think of it like lines at a theme park; if more people are coming to a ride than it can send through, the line gets longer, and people have to wait.

A bandwidth problem would cause the YouTube issue because YouTube sends the audio and the video of the videos you watch separately. Because there isn't communication at every step of the way, lag in the middle can cause the video to stop loading after the audio has already loaded. The video and the audio don't communicate as well as they could, so the audio thinks that the video is ready to play, and so it plays.

TL;DR: Other users are slowing the network, causing YouTube to act strangely. You have not been hacked.

Technically possible depending on the network but practically unlikely, hackers typically target either important or populous networks, a hotel wifi is not going to get them a lot.
Remotely giving you a virus is borderline impossible if your computer is set up securely, which most are.