The strategy of QF1 is going to be more similar to standard games than QF4, since QF4 had conversions and someone who not only controlled the PMs but could also spy on all of them. Really, though I wouldn't actually recommend any QF to read. I'd suggest LG1. It's one of the shortest Long Games (if not the shortest; I don't want to check) and it gives a good example of how the games work. Even better, it was the first game so there were a number of mistakes made from a number of people, so it's a good start if you're going into your first game. You won't beat yourself up as much over mistakes because you can see that some others had an extremely rough start as well.

Oh, no. I'm not reading any very old games. The rules have clearly changed, games changed andf in general it's only going to be more confusing if I read those. Fortunately, I know how Mafia works, but what I am confused about a little is PMs and Docs that are incorporated to make it work on the forum. I'll work it out, don't worry. :P

EDIT: Well, whatever happens, the worst possible outcome is just me dying too soon, so it's not that bad. I can survive that. 

Edited by Pestis the Spider

3 hours ago, Pestis the Spider said:

Is this open to total beginners that never played SE and are currently super confused about it, buit still want to try? Yes, I am talking about myself. 

So if it's fine I'd like to join as Pestis, please. :)

EDIT: Is this post everything I need to do to join? I just wanna be sure. 

You're welcome to join. If you have any questions, feel free to ask either the thread before the game starts or if the games started, you can ask anything about your role in the GM PM I'll send you which informs you of who/what you are.

2 hours ago, Paranoid King said:

Can I get some clarifications on the rules?

• Does everyone have an individual win con? can you have more that one win con? Are there faction win cons?
  • Will only specifically named roles be played with? For example, there's the luggage in the rules, but no Rincewind. Can you have the luggage without Rincewind?
  • Are there any common actions, such as Pay (amount) to another player?
  • Can you be both a member of a guild and a member of the clacks/post office?
  • Are there any ways to get money other than clacks/post office? (Other than CMOT Dibbler?)
  • Do members of guilds know each other? Do members of the post office/clacks know each other?
  • Will Death be in all of the write-ups?
  • What's the treasury? Is Drumknott in charge of the treasury?
  • For the post office/clacks, do you send the recipient a message yourself (including the GM, of course,) or can you send anonymous messages?
  • Is there any point in changing item names other than messing with people during the auction after your death?
  • Do people know when actions happen to them? If the librarian changed, say, Dibbler's action, would Dibbler know?
  • Do only the Heads of the guilds get a vote to depose the patrician? If not, how does it work?
  • How can the clacks be made more popular than the post office, or vice versa? Is there any way other than killing everyone on the other team?

OK, Part 1 of the responses (I'm not sure if I'll get through to all of these before I have to leave for school - if not, I haven't forgotten you, I'll get back to it tonight.)

Everyone does not have an individual win con, as such. However, many people have alternate win cons that they won't share with all the members of their faction, such as the Monarchist win con, and the Guild Leader surv win con. You can have multiple win cons (generally up to 3, but that requires a series of coincidences to occur).

You can have the Luggage without Rincewind. The roles listed there, currently, are what's in the game. However, I'll keep the thread up to date if I make any changes to rules or add roles, so if Rincewind is a popular character that a lot of people want to see, I'll try and put him in.

I'll say paying an amount to another player is allowed, and I'll say that if you do that, it fits in with Item Trading in the OoA. I'll adjust the rules when I get back.

Yes. I took creative license with the source material there. Nearly everyone is working at either the Clacks or the Post Office unless it's specifically mentioned otherwise.

Apart from role-specific things, particularly in the Thieves' Guild, the Clacks and Post Office are the only available way of making money (or, I suppose they could trade stuff and try to make a profit, which could work, but it would be slow going, and would take a while to work.)

Members of regular factions know one another; the Monarchists, Clacks, and Post Officers do not.

I imagine Death will be in most, if not all, of the write-ups. Some of them are being written by Doc, though, and I have no idea what he's planning, but I intend to put Death in my write-ups, anyway.

Also, just as a clarification: 'Messages' count as each individual post in a PM, rather than a whole PM. You can (and probably will) send multiple messages to the same player over the course of the game.

6 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

You're welcome to join. If you have any questions, feel free to ask either the thread before the game starts or if the games started, you can ask anything about your role in the GM PM I'll send you which informs you of who/what you are.

Thank you! I appreciate that help.

3 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

I'm in, although the rules don't seem to be anywhere in the initial post.

Edit: Found them.

Sorry - I didn't realize the formatting got weird if you copy/pasted it from a doc, so my apologies about that. I intend to fix it all this afternoon.

I need to head to school now. If your name doesn't appear on the signups sheet, don't worry - I just haven't gotten around to adding the latest names yet. I'll do it tonight. :)

I have questions:

-  Post and Clacks workers receive 3 pennies a cycle, and CMOT doesn't work for either Post nor Clacks. Does it mean that CMOTD doesn't receive any money a cycle and the only way he makes money is by selling his sausage buns? 

- I'm pretty sure it's possible, but I want to confirm: Can Post workers send Clacks message and can Clacks runners send Post message? 

Edit:  - Also, is there any information that we are not allowed to share with other characters (in game, I mean)? I'm talking about GM PMs, and what we learn e.g. from Scans, Post/Clacks messages and so on. I also understand that we are allowed to lie about anything and everything? 

Edit2: How many Docs will there be and who exactly (i.e. which roles, not players) has the access to them? Because I am a little lost here.

Edit3: What is about this "Tax" that is mentioned in the Banker section?

Edit4: Do ALL thieves steal ALL the money and ALL the items from the target, or just some of them? Because I am in general confused by this section. First it states that all the items are stolen, and then the Pickpocket role has an ability to additionally steal one item. I'm lost. But maybe it's because it's late here. 
Edit5: Captain of the Watch (maybe you meant Commander of The Watch?) and Captain Vimes is not the same person, right? I'm asking, because they're both Captains...

Ad. to Edit5: Wait. So Captain of the Watch and Captain Vimes are two different players, and Captain of The Watch has a survival win con, and Vimes is immune to all actions (so he cannot be killed if I understand correctly). Does it mean that if Vimes becomes Commander of The Watch they win?

Edit6: Do Monarchists know who the Monarch is?

Edit7: Is the "Patriarch" from the "Monarch" section actually supposed to be "Patrician"? Or am I just confused?

Sorry for so many edits. :P

Edited by Pestis the Spider

7 hours ago, little wilson said:

That game had conversions, and that's not a standard thing. Quick Fix 1 might be a better one to go with, for shorter games that are standard. The lynch votes were submitted secretly, but they did use the thread and have some public votes.

I... would disagree with recommending QF1 to read through. I've read QF1. It's 5 pages. One and a half of those are signups. The other three and a half are RP. Maybe three or four posts in the entire game are strategy-related. QF11 might be better than that.

Actually, my recommendation for QFs could also be QF9. It's a very simple game, given basically no roles, but all of the basics are there, and it's standard in every other way I can think of. So that's what I'd go for, personally. 

I don't know if I'm going to sign up yet... let's just say I'm conflicted. Severly. >> 

8 hours ago, Pestis the Spider said:

Edit:  - Also, is there any information that we are not allowed to share with other characters (in game, I mean)? I'm talking about GM PMs, and what we learn e.g. from Scans, Post/Clacks messages and so on. I also understand that we are allowed to lie about anything and everything? 

First, I'd strongly suggest reading the General Rules if you haven't already. That should clear some things up. :) To respond to your question more specifically, in general you may not copy and paste anything from a GM PM, a doc, or a PM with any other player, in any game. (The only exception is generally if you're an eliminator and pasting PMs into your evil doc - in this game, given that each faction has people with different win cons hidden within them, that will not be the case, so I'd suggest just not copy-pasting at all this particular game.) On the other hand, you may paraphrase all that you would like, and share anything you learn anywhere you'd like. 

And yes. You may lie about essentially anything you'd like to, except for any real life issues or excuses in that color. (Does that mean you should lie about everything? Not necessarily. But you're definitely permitted to.) 

On 10/14/2016 at 6:47 PM, A Joe in the Bush said:

i heartily recommend never telling a lie. It's makes the games much more interesting.

Other way around I think...

Move over goys, Detritus has arrived. An' I'm deffntly signin' up for dis one.

12 hours ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

I will be signing up as Hitler, an honest hardworking citizen who owns a small store in the town.

*Eyebrow raises so high that it shoots off of head*

Sorry, but I'll have to pass on this one due to time constraints. I'm already having trouble getting onto Aman's game.

16 hours ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

I will be signing up as Hitler, an honest hardworking citizen who owns a small store in the town.

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to change that name. It seems a little insensitive.

To everyone else, I'm sorry I haven't answered your clarifications yet. I'm going through them right now.

Just now, The Young Bard said:

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to change that name. It seems a little insensitive.

To everyone else, I'm sorry I haven't answered your clarifications yet. I'm going through them right now.

Eh, figured that would happen. Change if you wish XD

I'll sign up as Rachet.