Sanderson Elimination: Questions & Answers and Game Meta Discussion

Metacognition

So, considering that it says "before the 13th" and it's nearly 9PM ETC, should I just register on Mafia Universe and say I'm our representative?

EDIT: Never mind, just read it again. So it's just by the 13th we need to say we're in.

Edited by Amanuensis

And the voices cried out with a resounding Yea.  So be it.  I have opened the old Mafia Champion thread up for our nominations so we don't clutter this one up more than we already have.  (There was a reason I asked if we will send someone, not who we will send.)

Edited by Alvron

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Metacognition @Amanuensis 

Hi guys I'm relatively new here and was browsing through the forums and really like the sound of sanderson elimination.

And I don't know if this the best place to ask but I've quite been confused.

How often is it that a new game starts? Is it as and when someone decides to make a new game? Is there like a schedule or should I just keep checking everyday?

And can we only post game specific threads in this section?

Thanks in advance

Edit: and excuse my cheekiness in tagging you two :P

Edited by Megasif

10 minutes ago, Megasif said:

@Metacognition @Amanuensis 

Hi guys I'm relatively new here and was browsing through the forums and really like the sound of sanderson elimination.

And I don't know if this the best place to ask but I've quite been confused.

How often is it that a new game starts? Is it as and when someone decides to make a new game? Is there like a schedule or should I just keep checking everyday?

And can we only post game specific threads in this section?

Thanks in advance

Meta, @little wilson, @Alvron, please correct me if I'm wrong here (for your information, Mega, they're the other two moderators of this forum apart from Meta).

I'm not sure the exact timing of things, but I might be able to figure it out. The scheduling for it works like this:

Long Games typically last 72 hours a phase (day and night turn). At the start of the 6th phase (15 days from game start), the sign ups for the next Long Game are posted, which will last a week before the game starts, so people have time to make their character and join. This means that a new long game should start every 22 days.

Mid-Ranged games and Quick Fix games start one after another. The former typically have 48 hour long phases, and depending on player count / alignment distribution / luck, could last anywhere between 5 phases and 10, but most likely closer to the middle. The latter have 24 hour long phases, and rarely last longer than a week. So here you can expect a sign ups to be posted relatively frequently (MR to QF, 2 weeks, QF to MR, 1 week) + 1 week for sign ups.

Looking at the games now, a new QF should be posted in 4-6 days, while a new LG should be posted in 9. There is a queue for people running games in which also includes the name of what they want to run, and usually the rules are posted ahead of time in the Art of Game Creation.

Yes, this section can only have game specific threads. This is the best place for general questions like these, though.

8 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Meta, @little wilson, @Alvron, please correct me if I'm wrong here (for your information, Mega, they're the other two moderators of this forum apart from Meta).

I'm not sure the exact timing of things, but I might be able to figure it out. The scheduling for it works like this:

Long Games typically last 72 hours a phase (day and night turn). At the start of the 6th phase (15 days from game start), the sign ups for the next Long Game are posted, which will last a week before the game starts, so people have time to make their character and join. This means that a new long game should start every 22 days.

Mid-Ranged games and Quick Fix games start one after another. The former typically have 48 hour long phases, and depending on player count / alignment distribution / luck, could last anywhere between 5 phases and 10, but most likely closer to the middle. The latter have 24 hour long phases, and rarely last longer than a week. So here you can expect a sign ups to be posted relatively frequently (MR to QF, 2 weeks, QF to MR, 1 week) + 1 week for sign ups.

Looking at the games now, a new QF should be posted in 4-6 days, while a new LG should be posted in 9. There is a queue for people running games in which also includes the name of what they want to run, and usually the rules are posted ahead of time in the Art of Game Creation.

Yes, this section can only have game specific threads. This is the best place for general questions like these, though.

Thank you very much. I wanted to get on a game ASAP and didn't know if I will miss the signup. This is really helpful. I'll keep a watch for the next QF and give it a try. Looking forward to it. And hopefully move onto a LG.

This is, as the name suggests, the best place to ask questions. :P So feel free to ask away. 

First off, I hope you enjoy the games as much as I do. We've been at it for years now and they've only gotten better over time, IMO. We do have a schedule for which games will be played and when. You'll find a link to the spreadsheet in the General Rules and Etiquette thread; which is definitely a must read. It not only gives you an idea of what we do here, but also does a good job of preparing you for what to expect. 

The schedule for when games start is pretty simple. We start a Quick Fix or a Mid-Range game once the previous one of that type is over. So, for example, Quick Fix Game 24 is going on right now. Once it finishes, we'll start a Mid-Range game and so on.

With the Long Games, we try to overlap them a bit. After roughly 5-6 Cycles in a Long Game, the next one will typically start. So Long Game 35 is right now on its third cycle. Thus the next Long Game will begin in about a week or so from now. 

No threads should be created here other than those that are created by the GMs for their games. That's what these other threads are for; so that any other questions or thoughts can be shared. 

There's typically a lot going on behind the scenes to keep everyone entertained between games too. If you're interested, I'd PM @Haelbarde and ask him for the link to the Spectator Doc for Long Game 35. That would give you a chance to interact with some of us before the next game starts and also give you some additional insight into how everything works. 

So welcome to Sanderson Elimination! :) I look forward to killing you in the future. :P

...And ninja'd twice. :P

2 minutes ago, Megasif said:

Thank you very much. I wanted to get on a game ASAP and didn't know if I will miss the signup. This is really helpful. I'll keep a watch for the next QF and give it a try. Looking forward to it. And hopefully move onto a LG.

No problem. I'll make sure to mention you in the next sign up thread when it's posted, just in case you miss it

1 minute ago, Metacognition said:

The schedule for when games start is pretty simple. We start a Quick Fix or a Mid-Range game once the previous one of that type is over. So, for example, Quick Fix Game 24 is going on right now. Once it finishes, we'll start a Mid-Range game and so on.

Whoops. For some reason I thought Sart's game was a MR, not a QF. Sign ups should be coming even sooner, then :P 

Edited by Amanuensis

5 hours ago, Megasif said:

I do hope that, at the very least, I get a chance to say some final words before I am taken out.

Depending on what exactly you want to say, you can always ask the GM to include it in your death write-up.

1 minute ago, Megasif said:

:blink: Didn't know that was a thing. Oh well...

There's no guarantee what you want will be in, and it probably won't be if it contains something game-related (IE: btw, this guy is an elim), but if there are some final words character-wise, they can usually be included. I'm trying to remember a recent game that included a player-made death write-up. I know LG30 contained a couple of pieces that where written by players, but those didn't relate to their own deaths, iirc.

2 minutes ago, randuir said:

There's no guarantee what you want will be in, and it probably won't be if it contains something game-related (IE: btw, this guy is an elim), but if there are some final words character-wise, they can usually be included. I'm trying to remember a recent game that included a player-made death write-up. I know LG30 contained a couple of pieces that where written by players, but those didn't relate to their own deaths, iirc.

Good to know I can go down cursing the deciding voter (JK I know it's against etiquette)

2 hours ago, randuir said:

Depending on what exactly you want to say, you can always ask the GM to include it in your death write-up.

45 minutes ago, Megasif said:

:blink: Didn't know that was a thing. Oh well...

Here’s an example I happen to like:

1 hour ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

You would like that one :P haha you were loyal to the end fellow spy :ph34r: (I only did it cuz I was forced to by Lord Venture :lol:)

The games sound really enjoyable, guys don't forget to tag me on the next signup.

@The Flash A link would be much appreciated, good Sir.

4 minutes ago, Megasif said:

The games sound really enjoyable, guys don't forget to tag me on the next signup.

@The Flash A link would be much appreciated, good Sir.

Yes they are!!! Welcome! :D fyi you can always trust me :ph34r:

Here's a link to a writeup I took part in...I was Prism in this one (MLP) (the same one where Flash was evil and wrote his own writeup)

Attempted Kidnapping fails haha

15 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Yes they are!!! Welcome! :D fyi you can always trust me :ph34r:

Here's a link to a writeup I took part in...I was Prism in this one (MLP) (the same one where Flash was evil and wrote his own writeup)

Attempted Kidnapping fails haha

oooo nice! This is getting me excited. But I was thinking more of a line or two. This may be beyond my abilities.

I'm confused about one thing though. Was that an attempt to kill you (portrayed as a kidnapping in that particular game)?

1 minute ago, Megasif said:

oooo nice! This is getting me excited. But I was thinking more of a line or two. This may be beyond my abilities.

I'm confused about one thing though. Was that an attempt to kill you (portrayed as a kidnapping in that particular game)?

Yep. That was a My little pony themed game, so obviously there would be no killing. She had a particular role that meant that the first kidnapping attempt against her would fail.