Sanderson Elimination: Questions & Answers and Game Meta Discussion

Metacognition

• 1 month later...

GM List

This is (at least for now) where I will post the list of people who wish to be the next Game Master for future games. If you want to try your hand at running one of these, let me know! Depending on how much demand there is, I may put a cap on how many GMs we can have set up at a time.

1. LoganMathewJohnson
  2. Bartbug
  3. Gamma Fiend
  4. Mailliw73
  5. SirVarrock
  6. Alvron

Is this list in Order? I mean, is Logan doing game 5, and So on? And does the GM have to do a Game he's made, or can he use someone else's Game?

EDIT: Sorry for the Double Post, I wanted this post to read as Unread.

Edited by The Only Joe

The list is in order of who signed up first. If someone wants to go ahead of someone on the list and they have the okay of those ahead of them, then by all means, line jumping is doable. That said, as of right now, Logan would be the next in line for GMing. 

I'm not quite sure what you mean about using someone else's game. If you mean do they need to come up with their own roles and such, no. They can use the roles from other games. That's basically what Peng did except he added some other roles he created. If you mean using someone else's setting and roles and the whole nine yards, I'd refrain from doing that. Not only would it not be any fun, it would be unfair to the previous GM anyways. 

Hopefully that answers your questions?

I'm partial to buxom virgins thrown into volcanoes. Yeah, I know it's cliché, but they're so hot afterwards! :P Besides, human sacrifice is kinda my thing, since I started this game here. If you don't have any of those just lying around, I also accept upvotes, so one way or the other, you should be good. 

I figured I'd get a hold of him well before Game 4 finishes. That way he'll have enough time to prepare if he hasn't already and if not, Bartbug should still have plenty of time. I'll let everyone (especially the GMs) know well in advance. 

My suggestion for all GMs; try to have your game basically ready to go one GM ahead of you. There is always the chance that someone will drop out or that they'll not be ready to go and want to step back in the list. So right now, Logan and Bartbug should be finalizing their games and getting it ready for example. 

Not to worry though, if push comes to shove and no one is ready, I'll run something. I have no idea what yet, but I promise you I'll think of something should that be necessary! :)

Edited by Metacognition

I was gonna say. I don't mind Meta GM'ing games in the mean time or in-between other games. You do a fantastic job as GM, as far as I'm concerned. (You know, my whole 3 games worth of experience in the matter).

I also wouldn't mind if the game got big enough to the point of having two smaller games going on at once, instead of one huge, long game. Would be more interesting for the people who don't play and just come and browse what's going on. (Yeah, we see you there, lurking. So go ahead and sign-up already!)

Alright. So should I start writing up the specifics of mine? Because I've written out the concept (and posted it, so the man with either a good memory or too much time should be able to find it), but specifics-wise, I have nothing.

This is exciting.

Yeah, roles can be a little difficult. Not only do you need to make sure they're balanced, you also need to fit them into the world in a reasonable way.

I can't wait to show you the game I'm developing. Most of it will be secret until then, but I will tell you that it is set on Roshar. Unfortunately, (and Meta knows this,) I can't run it until September, so if it's my turn before then Alvron will need to go.

Edit: 100th post! I finally hit the triple digits!

Edited by SirVarrock

I get a real internet connection. Until then I just have my phone and data plan. I also work at a summer camp, so there might be weeks in July and August where I'll drop off the face of the planet for a week if I'm suddenly in a cabin with kids. I'm hoping for climbing wall activity leader, though.

There are a few factors that we need to consider before starting 2 games. 

First is the number of players we can reliably account for in each game. At the low end, we would want 16 players per game. With the numbers we have right now, if we staggered them, we might get there, but not enough to be able to reliably state that would be the case. We only have 30-ish in this game now and sign ups have been open for awhile. Along with the numbers, you have to take into account that some players will go inactive, so if you only have 16 players and 3 go inactive, that only leaves 13 players in a game. That's not a lot. 

Another factor is GMs. Right now we have only 6 GMs on the list and some of them won't be able to run their games until later (like SirVarrock mentioned). If we ran two games, we'd go through that list much quicker, so we'd want to be able to count on more GMs to be able to step up and oversee games before we start running multiple games.

We'll also want some leeway in the number of players that decide not to play. We have a lot this game, but perhaps some people will take a break from the next game and some people (like Herowannabe) are done after a few games. If we can't support multiple games due to retention, then that's another factor to take into account.

Besides, these larger games are a lot of fun due to the sheer number of factors and players you have to account for. 

If we can solve these issues, I have no problems with multiple games running. There are a lot of benefits to it, like giving players that are killed off early another game to be able to play in rather than them having to wait until the game ends to play again. The Google Docs are fun and I like using them so that those players can still have fun and be apart of the game, but I'm sure they'd rather be playing again. 

@Bartbug: You'll want to have yours ready by the time Claincy's game ends. That way, if Logan isn't ready, you'll be good to go and don't have to scramble. So you've got some time yet, but I don't recommend putting it off for too long! :) 

Counterpoint to meta (not to be argumentative, but still things to consider):

Some people are crazy enough that they will play in multiple games at the same time.

Also, if you stagger games so that they start, say, once every two weeks. By the time the second game starts, around 7 people have died from game 1 and will be ready to jump in a new game.

Plus, smaller games go quicker, simply because there are less players to kill off before winning. That is appealing to some people- such as myself- who aren't necessarily ready to commit to a month long or longer game (Don't get me wrong, I had a blast with my first game, and I'm excited for the Claincy's game, but MAN that took up a lot of my free time, even as just a player. I can't imagine what you GMs must go through). IRL, I have found that between 13 and 20 people is ideal for a game of werewolves, and I see no reason why games of that size wouldn't work online.

So yeah, I'm all in favor of having a couple of smaller games running at the same time, but staggered. If I was the next GM, I would open up enrollment one week after the previous game starts, then begin once I have 20 players signed up.

Again, I don't intend this to be argumentative- Meta makes a lot of good points. I just thought I'd offer up some other good points for consideration. :D

At the moment my game is mostly ready just need to tweak a couple of things.  I will be on holiday during the last week of July until the third week of August and will be unable to gm a game then.

We may want to space out the games a bit too.  Running a game right after another has finished is fine but people can tire of them quickly and we may lose them.  Giving a week or two between games allows people to take a break and work on their rp stories for the next one. 

Maybe do as Claincy is doing and have the sign-ups up after a game has finished but wait awhile before starting.

I'm one of those people crazy enough to sign up for multiple games at once. They're so fun! And I've changed my Roshar game to be tech oriented with lots of items and I just need to formally write it up and tweak a couple things. So if anyone before me can't go, I'll be fine going. :) in the summer, which is probably when my turn will come, I'll have to make sure it's during a couple weeks when I don't have anything, so if it is my turn in the summer, I might wait until school starts again.

Joe, as long as I keep playing, you can't catch up to me. I've got two extra games on you. ;)