Shallan's sexuality

stick is a stick

I’ll second Leinton’s comments and remind everyone that threads have different purposes, and to try not to hijack threads that have different purposes, and there is a difference between discussing LGB inclusion in the books, and discussing different opinions gender and sexual diversity in our society.  Both discussions have their place, but it’s not fun when you start or participate in a thread expecting one thing, only to have it mutate into something else.

Admin hat off, commenter hat on:

I'm also a Shadolin fan, but fully support a Bisexual interpretation of Shallan.  

On the point of acceptance of different sexualities in Rosharan societies, I think that with the highly structured gender roles, it's unlikely that independant romantic same sex pairings would exist.  With the warrior culture, there might be examples similar to Greek homosexuality, where people (mainly men) would take same sex lovers (usually in older mentor/younger mentee pairings), but then still go on to marry a person of the opposite sex.  In Roshar, I'm guessing things would be a little more egalitarian in that women and men would participate in the custom equally, and the sexual aspect might be played down.  So I could see there being, say, young people forming same-sex romantic partnerships, but the expectation of society would be that they eventually settle down with someone of the opposite gender, even though their current relationship status is not necessarily disapproved of.  

Just speculation of course.  I am expecting Rosharans to have different views of sexuality than earth world, but with their strict gender roles I can't see full acceptance being a thing.  

1 hour ago, Comatose said:

but with their strict gender roles I can't see full acceptance being a thing.  

I was just thinking that as I was reading the thread. Especially male-male pairs would be a problem, since they'd have no one to read for them and would probably run into more problems along those lines.

41 minutes ago, Sarevok said:

I was just thinking that as I was reading the thread. Especially male-male pairs would be a problem, since they'd have no one to read for them and would probably run into more problems along those lines.

because men and women definitely can't be friends because of Reasons so men in same sex relationships can't ask their female friends to read something for them and the couple's friends would of course only send them written mail instead of adapting to their preferred form of communication bc they care about them

also precludes the possibility of a transdude who was raised according to female gender norms, and/or a partner from a nonvorin society who doesn't abide by such nonsense

vice versa, shallan and a tall buff lady knight. they both have swords. they are in love. they can see each others safehands all they want. adolin cries. tears of happiness. his friend has found true love. also the tall lady knight intimidates him. shallan doesn't care. this woman could kick her butt and she loves it.

52 minutes ago, Sarevok said:

6 minutes ago, theravenchilde said:

because men and women definitely can't be friends because of Reasons so men in same sex relationships can't ask their female friends to read something for them and the couple's friends would of course only send them written mail instead of adapting to their preferred form of communication bc they care about them

also precludes the possibility of a transdude who was raised according to female gender norms, and/or a partner from a nonvorin society who doesn't abide by such nonsense

vice versa, shallan and a tall buff lady knight. they both have swords. they are in love. they can see each others safehands all they want. adolin cries. tears of happiness. his friend has found true love. also the tall lady knight intimidates him. shallan doesn't care. this woman could kick her butt and she loves it.

These are all very interesting possibilities, and it would be fascinating and emotionally satisfying to see them play out, and equally emotionally satisfying to see other, equally fascinating situations play out. 

Nothing is set in stone. Stay ephemeral, my friends. 

Edited by bleeder

3 hours ago, Sarevok said:

Many Dark-eyed women cannot read. I think it's mentioned somewhere in WOK that Hesina is the only (dark-eyed) woman in Hearthstone who was literate.

Yeah, I guess until we know more, staying ephemeral.

I apologize to anyone who might have taken offense to my earlier post in this thread. I understand that it was an indelicate method of phrasing that might have caused offense to people, and quite rightly too. I thank Comatose for bringing the fact that my post was offensive to my attention, and have now edited my post to convey what I meant more correctly. This is a great fan-site for a great author, and it is great that we can keep it this way with moderators that are firm but fair. Again, I apologize to all people that took offense to my post, and hope we can move on positively. If anyone has any more problems or queries, please don't hesitate to PM me. I won't bite. Promise.

With all the political marriages, having a lover on the side has to be fairly common. There's also Sebarial's mistress, which everyone seems to be aware of. I know Sebarial is an unusual case, but if it was the kind of thing heavily frowned upon, I think we would have heard more about it. Maybe we do not see many same-sex couples because of the socio-economic reasons others have mentioned.

So, Shallan and Iyatil? Shalatil? ;) Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Or Eshonai (Shalanai?).

42 minutes ago, Argel said:

So, Shallan and Iyatil? Shalatil? ;) Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Or Eshonai (Shalanai?).

I hadn't thought of either of those. 

I always thought Shal was bi (at the time it was probably just wishful thinking; there aren't very many of us so representation is nice), and I briefly entertained Shyn (Shallan+Tyn) before I learned Tyn was not who she seemed. And before, y'know, 

Spoiler

Tyn's untimely death.

13 minutes ago, Argel said:

There's always Veil though. ;)

10 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Ooh... Shadolin by day, Veil-{insert other ship half here} by night???

Unconnected to anything:

I'm picturing cards featuring every pairing Shallan could be involved in, under the banner "Happy Veilentines Day".

I feel terrible.

2 hours ago, RenegadeShroom said:

See, you joke, but I absolutely wouldn't put it past Shallan to actually want to make out with Veil if she could, haha.

She is working towards the potential of realistic, talking and walking, and with help of soulcasting, potentially solid illusions (that last part is pure conjecture, but I'm not the only one to suspect it's possible). She could conceivably end up being able to actually make out with Veil.

Only as practice for a con, though, I'm sure.

jW

40 minutes ago, Sand Master said:

Not according to both Wikipedia and urbandictionary, which seem to be the only two main sources with a definition. Both of those say it just has to be the same gender.

Really? I always just associated it with Kirk/Spock, the original Slash. 

My mistake, ladies, gents, et cetera. 

Carry on with your shipping.

1 hour ago, Asasasyn in White said:

I can't stand Shysn and Shasnah, only Shalladin!

Oof. I 'm sorry to all you Shalladin devotees out there, but I just can't bring myself to ship them. I would rather have Shadolin than Shalladin. 

But that's my opinion, and we can all have equally awesome differing opinions.