The Search for Hoid (Idea)

Okdes

This is an idea I had, and was wondering if anyone was interested. The basic principal of this rp would be this: Members of the 17th Shard, from different planets and backgrounds, are tasked with finding the elusive Hoid. It would take place roughly at the same time as The Way of Kinds/Words of Radiance.

The only problem is, I've never done an rp in this format and, quite honestly, have no idea what I'm doing. If you're interested, let me know

1 minute ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

How do you think this would work? I'm interested, definitely, though how would one make a character?

I'm not entirely sure how it would work, as I've never done this before, but making a character would be simple.

1) What world are they from/what abilities do they have. Make sure it is within reason, of course, overpowered characters are just not fun.

2) Formulate their name, personality, etc. around where they are from. For an example, a person from Scadrial would behave differently as a person from Nalthis. Since The Way of Kings/Words of Radiance takes place at the around the time as Alloy of Law/Shadows of Self/Bands of Mourning (http://coppermind.net/wiki/Chronology) plan accordingly.

I already have a loose idea for a story, but again, I've never done this before, so I'm not sure.

As expressed in the timeline link I posted above, Stormlight takes place slightly before Alloy of Law, and I wanted to set this slightly after The Way of Kings began. Probably around the time Kaladin first joins Bridge Four. So, yes.

Sorry this has been delayed. Here is my character. You don't have to follow my format, but here mine is.

Name: Mathwyndyl

Homeworld: Scadrial

Abilities: Zinc Compounder

Appearance: 5’5”, brown hair, dresses in middle-class Elendel clothes. Blue eyes, and average. Not overly-handsome, or ugly.

Affiliations: Frost, The 17th Shard, Khriss.

Background: Born and raised in New Seran, Mathwyndyl was raised in a prominent Terris community close to the city. His talent for Zinc was discovered early, but he hid it from his family and tutors, using Zinc as an aide in the classroom. He was suspected of cheating in school, because in cass he appeared to be of middling intellect, yet finished the tests with speed and ease. He eventually admitted to storing Zinc while in class, and tapping it for tests to just be done quicker. His teachers frowned upon it slightly, but his family was jubilant when they heard he could use Feruchemy. The trouble started when he found his allomancy. Mathwyndyl kept it a secret, out of shame and pure teenage stubbornness, from his family. However, he couldn’t hide it forever. One day, when Mathwyndyl and a few others were visiting a local bank, a gang of criminals burst in to rob it. Mathwyndyl tapped zinc, and made a plan. He got his friends to cover, made sure no civilians were in danger, and began rioting the robbers. This was a gamble. His plan was to riot their greed and distrust so they killed each other, thereby ending the robbery. He managed to partly succeed. The four men did turn on each other, and two ended up dead. However, a witness had seen them from the outside earlies and got the constables. The constables outside heard gunshots, and decided to burst in, thinking hostages were injured. The robbers panicked and took hostages. Mathwyndyl realized then that they wouldn’t back down, not while so rioted. Both hostages died to the robbers, who were gunned down in return.

He tried to act normal, but this incident traumatized him. He had just caused the deaths of six people, using allomancy. He knew that if the Terris community found out those things, he would be forever shamed. In the autopsy of the dead criminals, they were found to have ingested a mild amount of Hemp Leaf. The police considered the criminal’s behavior, and began to wonder if a Rioter was in the room. A Seeker who had been in the unit had mentioned someone burning zinc, but it had been dismissed as a passerby. After some background checks, they found the three Terris boys. Mathwyndyl had began burning Zinc regularly to slightly nudge people around. Make them more friendly in school, more courageous at home. This made finding him child’s play. They confirmed he was burning zinc, and brought him in for questioning. His family arrived in time to see his tearful confession. This caused a myriad of reactions. His sister was impressed, his father disgusted, his mother somewhere between proud and horrified. His older brother nearly gave him applause. This caused the worst of storms, of course. His father denounced him with spit and bile for even considering killing, much less carrying out his reckless plan. His mother tried to mediate, but his brother and sister argued back against their father. They said that he did the right thing, while his father insisted he should have let the constables handle it. Mathwyndyl merely sat  with tears in his eyes. Eventually, the day wore into night, with nobody happy. The next day, his brother said he was considering leaving the Terris. Mathwyndyl was horrified. His brother was a smart, good student. He was one of the few copperminds in the area. Mathwyndyl begged him not to go, and won him around eventually. Then the distrust set in. His brother and father suspected him of rioting them earlier so they wouldn’t be mad at Mathwyndyl, the argument being so out of character. After a few more days of the same arguing, he fled. He changed his name to the shorter ‘Mat’, and found employment at a bank once he revealed his talents. He sent a good portion of his wages home. He received several letters begging him to return, and even changed apartments a few times so they couldn’t find him. He also began illegally rioting customers in the bank. After a while, he was too afraid to return home because of what they would say, what they would think of him.

His life went on uneventfully until his bank got robbed, when he was twenty two. He refused to act at first, until a customer tearfully told him they were planning on killing everyone, as she overheard. Mat grew angry. He tapped Zinc, and thought. He came up with the same conclusion: Act. He did the same as he had done before, but more cautiously. A few years at the bank had been good practice. He got them to turn on each other, as before, but also rioted their fear. One of them began to have a sort of panic attack, and the others started to worry as well. After a while of fighting, the constables burst in. The criminals, scared witless, surrendered on the spot. Nobody harmed. The woman approached him after, naming herself Khriss. She offered to take him to new lands, to learn about them. He asked after his family, and Khriss said they would be taken care of. She’d see they got regular money. He accepted her proposal.

He traveled with her for a few years, visiting shardworlds. He was now twenty four, and then he met Frost. Frost recruited him into the 17th shard. He and Khriss said goodbyes, with Khriss promising she’d look in on him occasionally.  After two years of working on Nalthis in a non-interventional capacity, Frost called upon him for an important, encompassing new task: Find Hoid, the elusive and enigmatic Drifter. Frost organized a team of several other individuals, from other walks of life and other worlds. The Search for Hoid had begun.

On 9/27/2016 at 3:05 AM, Okdes said:

This is an idea I had, and was wondering if anyone was interested. The basic principal of this rp would be this: Members of the 17th Shard, from different planets and backgrounds, are tasked with finding the elusive Hoid. It would take place roughly at the same time as The Way of Kinds/Words of Radiance.

The only problem is, I've never done an rp in this format and, quite honestly, have no idea what I'm doing. If you're interested, let me know

Wow, this sounds pretty cool. I really enjoy Hoid's character and role playing as someone who tries to find him sounds neat.

Though, i probably should mention that i have zero experience with role playing games in general, so im gonna have to look at a few forums and search up stuff before i get involved in this.

Regardless, i absolutely love your idea and hope to see how it turns out.

Just thought i'd share my thoughts.

Sorry it took so long, high school is not forgiving.

Does this work?

Spoiler

Name: Elenan

Home-world: Scadrial

Abilities: bronze compounder

Appearance: 6" 4', metallic-blonde hair, (hazel-inner ring, light grey-outer ring) colored eyes, thin and lanky build makes him look taller than he is, wears a long cloak ( not a mist-cloak ) that drapes from shoulder to mid-shin as well as a slightly loose fit shirt with tight-fit black linen pants, an aristocrats nose with an unconsciously impish grin,

Background: Elenen or 'Naan' as he was later nicknamed, was born to a noble-man of the hasting family and a half-Terris prostitute. Unable to accept a child who wasn't legitimate, the noble-man left the prostitute, named Marelith (Mare-eh-Lith)*, to raise the child on her own. Naan grew up learning how to pick-pocket and deceive the authorities, as well as how to mis-direct people like a magician with cards.

He eventually earned enough to go to school, were he learned how to read and write as well as do numbers. After three years he dropped school to take care of his mother, though he continued to practice his handwriting and even started learning how to forge signatures, around this time he started performing parlor tricks in the streets for extra money.

When he turned twelve, he got caught trying to pickpocket a lord in a store. The punishment he received made him snap. He only learned this when, on his fourteenth birthday, he bought himself a bronze locket with a small picture of his mother. When he realized he could store his wakefulness, he stole several flakes of various metals to see if he was twinborn. It worked and he kept his allomancy at a low burn with bronze shavings on his person at all times from there-on.

At fifteen he knew how to mimic voice cadence and pitch, though not accents, and often made his friends laugh by making himself sound like a girl, also, he had finally earned enough to get his mother out of prostitution. At eighteen his mother started getting random cold chills and heat flashes, and she had a near constant migraine. Due to this, life in the city was difficult, so Elenan bought her her own home outside of Elendel, though he remained in the city to keep providing her with an income and pay for her doctor. Shortly after, she died due to a heart-attack.

Naan continued his usual routine, although less frivolously than before, until, on his nineteenth birthday, he saw a man wearing extremely strange clothes with patterns he'd never seen before. The man walked with a strange grace, and his white hair and pale, almost silvery skin, intruiged Naan, so he followed the man. 

The man entered an alley, though when Naan followed him, the man wasn't anywhere in sight. Naan immediately burned and tapped bronze, but no allomancers were nearby. Cautiously he walked to the other end of the alley and peered around the edge. The man was waiting for him, sitting at a table with food on it, and when Naan stuck his head out the man waved him over. Naan walked over, cautious but more than curious, and sat down. The man told him of other worlds, magic that could do things beyond imagining, and a man who threatened to destroy it all. When he was finished he asked Naan if he would like to help stop the mad-man. Naan asked for proof that all those worlds were real, and the man proffered his hand. 

When Naan accepted the mans outstretched hand, the man drew a glowing symbol in the air. That alone shocked Naan, though when he was suddenly in the middle of a completely different city, full of people that looked and dressed like the strange man, Naan nearly fainted. After he had tapped bronze for a minute, he accepted, and was sent to see if any allomancers or feruchemists were on Roshar. After three years, the time has come to hunt for Hoid, and Elenan looks forward to it very much.

Naan is still new, is still learning about the other worlds, and is still adjusting to the idea of other worlds existing, though he knows enough about Roshar after having been there awhile, that he can easily handle anyone from that place. He looks forward to learning more about the Cosmere, and possibly finding a way to live as long as Hoid has.

Tell me your thoughts.^_^

Edited by ShadowLord_Lith
Necessity.

Spoilers for White Sand to follow:

Spoiler

Name: Araln Valjhorn

Homeworld: Taldain

Abilities: Sand Master. Able to control up to six ribbons and slatrify. 

Appeareance: 5" 11', has sandy blond hair and almost never smiles. Has a scar on one cheek from the Kerztains (I think I spelled that right). He has piercing blue eyes and still wears the white garb of a Sand Master. He is an Undermastrell, and wears a grey sash.

Background: Araln was skilled at Sand Mastery from an early age. He progressed quickly through the ranks, and was well respected within the Diem. His mother was a Darksider and his father a travelling merchant, but he still was strong in Sand Mastery. His parents didn't know each other, and his mother was not in consent with the whole ordeal. She fled from the Darkside to the deserts, and only survived after being found by a scouting party of Sand Masters. His mother died during childbirth and Araln was raised by an old Mastrell who quickly recognized his talent. Even at that time, he was deadly serious. He never took breaks or lounged about like the other people his age. He was always practicing to the point of dehydration. In fact, he nearly died multiple times before he learned how to slatrify. He was powerful, and would have became one of the most successful Sand Masters in existence, if not for the attack.

The Kerztains were the bandits of the deserts. They live in primitive tribes, but were not to be underestimated. During a graduation, Araln learned he would not be advancing to the Mastrell. Furious, he used his powers to take him to a secluded area only he knew about. He had carved out a cave in a cliff face, and it was where he spent most of his time. Eventually, he came back out to find a massacre. Bodies of Sand Masters were everywhere, along with a few Kerztains. He recognized his friends and the Mastrell who had raised him. Then he saw someone else. A man, with an  angular face, carrying a flute and a sword. He turned around and looked at Araln, and smiled cruelly. Araln lunged for him, but he vanished. From that moment on, the search for Hoid had begun.

For those who haven't read it, you can email Brandon and he'll give you a free copy in pdf format. 

Edited by Assassin in Burgundy

2 hours ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Spoilers for White Sand to follow:

Hide contents

Name: Araln Valjhorn

Homeworld: Nalthis

Abilities: Sand Master. Able to control up to six ribbons and slatrify. 

Appeareance: 5" 11', has sandy blond hair and almost never smiles. Has a scar on one cheek from the Kerztains (I think I spelled that right). He has piercing blue eyes and still wears the white garb of a Sand Master. He is an Undermastrell, and wears a grey sash.

Background: Araln was skilled at Sand Mastery from an early age. He progressed quickly through the ranks, and was well respected within the Diem. His mother was a Darksider and his father a travelling merchant, but he still was strong in Sand Mastery. His parents didn't know each other, and his mother was not in consent with the whole ordeal. She fled from the Darkside to the deserts, and only survived after being found by a scouting party of Sand Masters. His mother died during childbirth and Araln was raised by an old Mastrell who quickly recognized his talent. Even at that time, he was deadly serious. He never took breaks or lounged about like the other people his age. He was always practicing to the point of dehydration. In fact, he nearly died multiple times before he learned how to slatrify. He was powerful, and would have became one of the most successful Sand Masters in existence, if not for the attack.

The Kerztains were the bandits of the deserts. They live in primitive tribes, but were not to be underestimated. During a graduation, Araln learned he would not be advancing to the Mastrell. Furious, he used his powers to take him to a secluded area only he knew about. He had carved out a cave in a cliff face, and it was where he spent most of his time. Eventually, he came back out to find a massacre. Bodies of Sand Masters were everywhere, along with a few Kerztains. He recognized his friends and the Mastrell who had raised him. Then he saw someone else. A man, with an  angular face, carrying a flute and a sword. He turned around and looked at Araln, and smiled cruelly. Araln lunged for him, but he vanished. From that moment on, the search for Hoid had begun.

For those who haven't read it, you can email Brandon and he'll give you a free copy in pdf format. 

(spoilered question)

Spoiler

Isn't White Sand on Taldain, not Nalthis?

Just got the quote:

Spoiler

White Sand is a trilogy of graphic novels based on a story written by Brandon Sanderson, adapted by Rik Hoskin, and drawn by Julius Gopez.[1] It is set on the planet of Taldain and is a part of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere universe. The first volume was released on June 28, 2016.

-coppermind.wiki

Hey @Okdes, when are we ready to start? If we're ready now, are we going to start another topic to rp in but keep this one for future joiners of the game? If we're not ready yet, do you have any predictions for when we will be, or what we'll need before we are, ready?

• 2 weeks later...