• Announcements

• Chaos

Oathbringer Spoiler Policy   11/13/2017

Oathbringer is out! Let's make our policy on spoilers clear! 1. You must preface topics with Oathbringer spoilers with the prefix [OB] in the front 2. You are only allowed to post spoilers and spoiler topics in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board, Cosmere Theories, and some select work-related forums. 3. For posts in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board you do not need to use spoiler tags inside a topic marked [OB]. For Cosmere Theories, you also do not need to put spoiler tags inside your topic if the topic has [OB] in the title. However, for Cosmere Theories, if you are adding Oathbringer stuff to an old theory without the [OB] tag, those must go in spoiler tags and you must make it obvious outside the spoiler tag that the spoiler is regarding Oathbringer content. 4. For select things that do require talking about OB spoilers, in Events, Coppermind, and Arcanum forums, those are allowed but keep OB spoilers in spoiler tags 5. Avoid and minimize spoilers in topic titles--even though those two boards will not appear in the Recent Topics ticker, topic titles still appear in Recent Activity and the forum home.  6. You aren't allowed to post Oathbringer spoilers in places other than listed, even with spoiler tags.  It will be nine months and then the Oathbringer board will be re-merged with the Stormlight board and you will not need to tag these spoilers. If you'd like to move something in the Stormlight Archive board to the Oathbringer board, to update it with new Oathbringer information, Report the post and we will happily move it to the Oathbringer spoiler board. Part-by-part Reactions Though the Oathbringer Spoiler Board will be very spoilery, very fast (maybe don't come there until you've read the book, as people do have copies that bookstores sold early), you'll have these five topics for reactions if you want to nerd out: Part 1 Reactions
      Part 2 Reactions
      Part 3 Reactions
      Part 4 Reactions
      Full Book Reactions For parts 1-4, they will not include the interludes immediately following it. On Discord All Oathbringer spoilers on Discord will be exclusively in the #oathbringer_spoilers channel for the nine month spoiler period and nowhere else.
krystalynn03

Reading Like Writers

80 posts in this topic

I did a bit of wiki reading and 1) he's still around and a lot younger than I figured! Which explains some of this early writing, I think, and 2) he cut his teeth on Tarzan stuff, which explains a LOT of the early stuff. (Tarzan is a lot more scifi than people give it credit for nowadays)

4 hours ago, Mandamon said:

If you get a chance, read the Count Brass novels

Yes; love me some Moorcock, one of my faves too, and would totally support @Mandamon on hunting out the Corum books. My favourite is probably Dorian Hawkmoon, of which there are 7 books (at last count). 

There is something seminal about Moorcock, certainly in that period of the 60's and 70's (which I guess kind of stands to reason!), that is very compelling in it's simplicity. The stream of ideas is just constant and it still feels like discovering some of them for the first time, even now.

The other thing I just love about Moorcock is how how worked beyond the bounds of mere SFF and collaborated with like-minded musicians, usually on bringing Elric and the Black Sword into the sphere of rock/progressive music. Moorcock's collaborations with Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult are well known. BOC have always been one of my top bands, and Black Blade is a cracking song - worth checking out on YouTube if you like that 70's heavy rock sound.

That segue neatly brings me even further off topic to Neal Peart, Rush's drummer and lyricist, who has long been a writer, but recently was published in collaboration with Kevin J. Anderson, writing the steam punk novelisation of Rush's last studio album, Clockwork Angels - which I have still to check out, and very much look forward to (Rush = Robinski's favourite band of all time).

Well, it'll depend on what's in the scary basement sff collection after this one -- I already have a pair of Cordwainer Smith collections on loan from other places (which means a shorter timeline in which to read them) to get through, a couple other random finds, and I want to try to throw myself at Nine Princes in Amber again to see how badly I bounce off it one more time. 

Sorry Michel Moorcock, the winner of the Scary Basement Old Summer Scifi Reading Adventure is Cordwainer Smith! I'm calling it now. I'm finishing up "Norstralia" and it's been amazing. So dense with ideas yet still very easy to read and fun and a sort of droll dark humor. he manages to explain nothing (why are underpeople? irrelevant, so it's not addressed) and have it work wonderfully. If I have one quibble, it's in the awfully dated descriptions of the females in the cast, especially the lead, C'mell. I know it's like 1964 to 1968, but James H Schmitz published in that same time frame with a similar corporate/lawless space universe (if not quite so posthuman) consisting mostly of short stories with one full novel to pad things out and managed not to be an utter cad about his female characters. But it is '60s-era space adventure, so to quote another imaginary personage of the era, "I knew the job was dangerous when I took it."  :[  I have another book of Cordwainer Smith's short stories (Norstralia was his only novel) and I'm having a really hard time trying to force myself back to finish up Moorcock's trope-dripping edgelord Elric when I could crack open more in Norstralia's crazy epic timeline (even if they are all short stories so the ending is uniformly "And everybody died the end!!" grumble) 

Well, I made it through all 3 books I ordered of Cordwainer Smith, and while I thoroughly enjoyed other parts of them all, there's only so many times I can credibly believe the day was saved by the beautiful, pure, innocent girl's beautiful pure innocence inspiring our manly hero to new heights of manliness (and then they fall in love because he's the hero and she's so pure. yeah, right). Man had a formula, is what I'm saying. :/ Out of two large short story collections and one full-length novel, I can maybe count on one hand the stories that deviated from it. I'm glad I read this piece of scifi history, but it's not something I'm going to be adding to my bookshelf, unfortunately. 

More happily, my copy of "Gates of Tagmeth" by PC Hodgell arrived a couple days ago and I blazed through it joyously. As dark and gothic as this series is, I love the dry humor that sneaks in, and I laughed out loud and a few well-placed lines. Things are finally starting to happen in the series, which gives me hope. The previous two books were a little rough going (though I'd read Hodgell's rough stuff over others' polished pieces any day) and I was considering relegating it to my library-only reading list. I'm so happy I don't have to! As the author has aged, this 8-volume meditation on honor, justice and religion has gotten more and more nuanced, and while I miss the bright action of the first couple books, the story is so much richer now. I have a couple more library books to get through, but then I need to go do that series re-read of this that I've been promising myself.