Shallan art book

bdoble97

After it's all said and done who would love to see a companion book of all of Shallan sketches I know we get to see some of them in the  books but I just seems like lshe sketches almost everything and it would be amazing to see a book full of her sketches. For example we see some Shardplate but it stated she did all the kings Shardplate and all the shardplate in the army. Imagine seeing all the different designs of The Shardplates and all the other creatures that she sketches.

Here's a Word of Ben about it:

Q:  Do you keep old versions of designs as you update and correct them? It would be nice to one day see a production art book showing the evolution of the axehound or chasmfiend design with little notes from you and the rest of the team.

A:  I made the switch to digital production about 9 or 10 years ago, so the vast majority of all my work is drawn in the computer, usually in Photoshop or Manga Studio. One advantage to this is that I do have pretty much every draft of every design we've done, in perfect condition, and for some (like the axehound) there were a lot of ideas batted around before we narrowed it down. All of these drafts are stored (and backed up) at full resolution, and at some point we'll very likely do a book that collects all this material.

But that's a long way down the road, and we've got a lot more work to collect. I wouldn't expect anything like that before we hit the five-book mark, and possibly not until the whole set of 10 is complete. It really depends on demand, and we're too far out to try and project something like that at this stage. Check back in a few years. :)

Source:  Q&A Session with Ben McSweeney

For those who don't know, Ben "Inkthinker" McSweeney does a lot of the interior artworks for SA, and also did the character pieces for the Mistborn Adventure Game.

I personally think designing 30+ sets of Shardplate in the Alethi army is overkill.  Sure, they look cool and awesome, but the basic structure of the armour and power boosting abilities are the same for everyone.  The only real difference from set to set is the shape of the pauldrons or helm.  I would be more interested to see a catalogue of Shardblades with notes on what Radiant Order the original owner/spren was associated with.

2 minutes ago, sheep said:

Here's a Word of Ben about it:

Source:  Q&A Session with Ben McSweeney

For those who don't know, Ben "Inkthinker" McSweeney does a lot of the interior artworks for SA, and also did the character pieces for the Mistborn Adventure Game.

I personally think designing 30+ sets of Shardplate in the Alethi army is overkill.  Sure, they look cool and awesome, but the basic structure of the armour and power boosting abilities are the same for everyone.  The only real difference from set to set is the shape of the pauldrons or helm.  I would be more interested to see a catalogue of Shardblades with notes on what Radiant Order the original owner/spren was associated with.

30+ shadeplate armour sets would be alot. But  I am a sucker when it comes to armor and uniforms can't get enough of different designs of both. To see all the Shardblades would be amazing as well. 

14 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

30+ shadeplate armour sets would be alot. But  I am a sucker when it comes to armor and uniforms can't get enough of different designs of both. To see all the Shardblades would be amazing as well. 

I don't think that (at current) we have seen 30 different characters wearing plate. I say "seen" because Ben McSweeney might only have done sketches for the sets of Plate that have been shown on-screen. It reduces the workload for him, but still gives us a fair number to marvel at

55 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I don't think that (at current) we have seen 30 different characters wearing plate. I say "seen" because Ben McSweeney might only have done sketches for the sets of Plate that have been shown on-screen. It reduces the workload for him, but still gives us a fair number to marvel at

How many sets of Shardplate do you think there are in all 10 highprince armies. 

22 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

How many sets of Shardplate do you think there are in all 10 Highprince armies. 

I'm sure Dalinar mentioned it during the Recreance version, but that's not what i meant. FWIW Alethkar has ~20 Blades and "a limited number of suits" Blade and Plate pages on the Coppermind

On one hand, Shallan's art would only really cover where she has been. Only Sebarial's camp (maybe), Dalinar's camp, Adolin's 4v1 Duel and a few others had Shardbearers. On the other hand, Ben's sketches likely cover things related to the storyline itself. That mostly limits it to where the story has actually gone/will go.

• Chaos locked this topic