Pitching Some Games! - Looking For Group!

Quadrophenia

2 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

I have never played a d20 game before, but have been growing increasingly interested in the idea, actually. If you guys are willing to have a total newbie on your group, I'd be interestd in joining. Only problem might be timezones, since I'm a Malaysian...

Hi timezone buddy from across the Causeway! :P

4 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Then I'd be fairly interested in the Cthulhu game. I'm not big on voice sessions because I have difficulties tracking audio, and my webcam's busted, but I'm cool with text. The one caveat though is that I'm an utter n00b - but I'm willing to study up on the rules and how this is done, if you're okay with having me in.

3 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

I have never played a d20 game before, but have been growing increasingly interested in the idea, actually. If you guys are willing to have a total newbie on your group, I'd be interestd in joining. Only problem might be timezones, since I'm a Malaysian...

Nothing wrong with being noobs, fellas! That's part of the fun of tabletop gaming: the learning curve. 

To give you an idea, I once ran a game with a few friends, all of whom were newbs... 

And at one point, in their first enemy encounter, the wizard decided to summon an ethereal badger... and commanded it to crawl up an enemy barbarian's britches. And it did. To make matters worse for the barbarian, the cleric then cast a spell that induces raw fear. 

But no one in the party took account for their environment, and so they both wounded up making said barbarian (with the badger scratching and biting about in his nether region)... run off a cliff screaming in sheer horror. 

Heh heh! Good times.

"OMG I didn't mean to make a guy run off a cliff! ... Is the badger okay?"

Me: "... At that height? Uh... no. Badger be gone. Badger be dead."

"..." (walks over to his corner of woe)

And to be fair, my Malaysian friend, in my usual group chat only a few are in my timezone. We have a guy from the UK, for instance, so he's always several hours ahead of us. We still manage to run great games together.

6 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

Nothing wrong with being noobs, fellas! That's part of the fun of tabletop gaming: the learning curve. 

To give you an idea, I once ran a game with a few friends, all of whom were newbs... 

And at one point, in their first enemy encounter, the wizard decided to summon an ethereal badger... and commanded it to crawl up an enemy barbarian's britches. And it did. To make matters worse for the barbarian, the cleric then cast a spell that induces raw fear. 

But no one in the party took account for their environment, and so they both wounded up making said barbarian (with the badger scratching and biting about in his nether region)... run off a cliff screaming in sheer horror. 

Heh heh! Good times.

"OMG I didn't mean to make a guy run off a cliff! ... Is the badger okay?"

Me: "... At that height? Uh... no. Badger be gone. Badger be dead."

"..." (walks over to his corner of woe)

And to be fair, my Malaysian friend, in my usual group chat only a few are in my timezone. We have a guy from the UK, for instance, so he's always several hours ahead of us. We still manage to run great games together.

I ran a one off for some friends, and my favourite thing they did was throwing goblins into the big pool of acid in the middle and using it to splash other goblins.  And of course, since this was bright luminous acid goo thing, one player used their religious symbol to focus some light into the eyes of a goblin and blinded them.  Having cool environments is awesome.

5 minutes ago, AliasSheep said:

@Quadrophenia I think that's 4 players, which is enough to play, right?

And would these be synchronous games or like play by post?

Depends what everyone is more comfortable with.

We could run the game in the forums here, play by post...

Or we could run it on Skype. I'll make the chatroom for it and everything. It'd still be text, though, but for anyone who doesn't have dice I can link you up to a d20 roller.

I'll leave it up to a vote.

Thanks! :D

At least for my vote, I'm obviously more concerned with picking an option favoured by our GM (i.e. chatroom!), but I suppose it would partly depend on whether our timezones are so horrid that it forces an option anyway. So my suggestion would be to also indicate timezones - I'm GMT + 8. I would therefore vote chatroom unless there's some logistical reason it couldn't work.

@Quadrophenia It's currently 10:30 here. I think we should be more or less twelve hours apart? 

Anyway, I have an alternative suggestion to Skype. Have you heard of Discord? It's a much more reliable app that has both voice and text functions. Sheep knows about it, we're in a SE discord group together. It's free, it's powerful, and doesn't cause problems on my mobile, heh. 

If you're interested, I can set up a server for this :)

@Doctor12 It is certainly an option 

First we just need to make sure we can all synch up at the same time. Ish. The one benefit to play by post games is that it's easier for players from incompatible time zones to react to one another comfortably. It's a slower process than I'd like, I admit, but keeping in mind an apparent twelve hour difference it will be difficult for me to find an appropriate period where we could run a Call of Cthulhu game smoothly. 

Edited by Quadrophenia

Then the issue is @Darkness Ascendant's timezone, right?

At least from what I've seen, EST converts to GMT -5 normally, and GMT -4 if you're [=GM Almighty] currently on Daylight Savings. (I'm not sure about that, so I just listed both.) This correctly means that since @Doctor12 and I are on GMT +8, there's at least a 12 hour difference, but one that could expand to as much as 13 hours. Depending on what your usual gaming time preferences are, I might be able to make it - I currently teach and the school holidays are coming up, so I can tank some slightly odd hours, but I'm not sure about Doctor12 (Doc?)

And then there's whether Darkness Ascendant is in an equally uncomfortable timezone. (P.S. GM, if this timezone issue makes you feel uncomfortable, due to your preference for running it by chat, I'm willing to drop out in favour of players who are in a better timezone. I don't really want to have caused a whole bunch of problems due to living in a somewhat irregular timezone...)

How long would you normally like for a session? (I assume at any rate this may stretch beyond at least one session.)

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

Then the issue is @Darkness Ascendant's timezone, right?

At least from what I've seen, EST converts to GMT -5 normally, and GMT -4 if you're [=GM Almighty] currently on Daylight Savings. (I'm not sure about that, so I just listed both.) This correctly means that since @Doctor12 and I are on GMT +8, there's at least a 12 hour difference, but one that could expand to as much as 13 hours. Depending on what your usual gaming time preferences are, I might be able to make it - I currently teach and the school holidays are coming up, so I can tank some slightly odd hours, but I'm not sure about Doctor12 (Doc?)

And then there's whether Darkness Ascendant is in an equally uncomfortable timezone. (P.S. GM, if this timezone issue makes you feel uncomfortable, due to your preference for running it by chat, I'm willing to drop out in favour of players who are in a better timezone. I don't really want to have caused a whole bunch of problems due to living in a somewhat irregular timezone...)

How long would you normally like for a session? (I assume at any rate this may stretch beyond at least one session.)

I'd say anywhere from one to two hours. All text, mind you. 

57 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

All who want to play Call of Cthulhu and have the Discord app, say aye! I'll set up the server and invite you guys-

And don't worry about character sheets, I'll make those myself.

Aye!

Also, do you have anything that I could quickly read over to get a grip of the rules?  I haven't played Call of Cthulu before, unfortunately.

Edited by AliasSheep

1 minute ago, AliasSheep said:

Aye!

Also, do you have anything that I could quickly read over to get a grip of the rules?  I haven't played Call of Cthulu before, unfortunately.

Luckily, I have the rules! 

http://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/CHA23131 Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Quick-Start Rules.pdf

1 minute ago, AliasSheep said:

Thanks!

I should probably read some of the Lovecraft I have on hand... The only exposure I have to Call of Cthulu is from reading Old Man Henderson multiple times.

You gotta read Call of Cthulhu, Rats in the Walls, The Dunwich Horror...

And, really, any Edgar Allan Poe also helps.