Raoden teleporting to Teod

Oversleep

So I know that some things have been changed in 10th Anniversary edition. One of them was something about Adien giving the distance to Teod to Radeon so he could teleport there by Aon Tia.

But something doesn't make sense here: Why did he tell him to use half of the length of his step as the unit? He know how many steps are to Teod and tells him that and then tells him to halve his step. Why?

Since I don't have the specific passage in front of me, I cannot really say for sure. However, I can still take a guess based on how you describe the situation and what might have changed.

If it no longer includes the line where Raoden measures Adien's stride, then is there any possibility that Adien is implying a number using half of Raoden's step?
If memory serves me, Brandon mentioned the number of steps as one of the things he did before Peter was there to tell him the realistic math. If the number is unchanged from the original, then there might not be any issue other than "half my step" being convoluted.

I might come up with a real idea after I see what all got changed, but I wanted to put these ideas down before I forget them

@The One Who Connects, I'm describing the passage form the Anniversary Edition.

It goes like this: Adien tells Raoden the number of steps (1 054 442). He tells Raoden it's the number of steps to Teoras. Then he says "measure my step and then use its half as your unit".

Raoden measures Adien's step with a piece of cloth and then draws a line half as long. Then Adien tells him it's 1 054 401 to the docks.

Ok, ignore my first suggestion then. So I'll compare the old to the new (My copy is pre-Warbreaker :))

19 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

It goes like this: Adien tells Raoden the number of steps (1 054 442). He tells Raoden it's the number of steps to Teoras. Then he says "measure my step and then use its half as your unit".

Raoden measures Adien's step with a piece of cloth and then draws a line half as long. Then Adien tells him it's 1 054 401 to the docks.

1,327,042 reduced to 1,054,442.    "Measure my stride, and use that as your unit"    measures with cloth and draws line that "duplicated the length of the boy's stride"    1,326,805 reduced to 1,054,401.

I am not sure what the reason for all of this is. By doing this, he reduces the length between Elantris and Teod by more than half, while keeping a large number. Maybe it is purely a math thing, fixing things up before writing Elantris 2 and 3. What I am basically saying is that I don't know.

My point is: why go with halving the unit if simply halving the number would have been enough (and it would be less noticeable, nobody pays attention to big numbers but us Sharders lunatics)?

Also, that whole thing raises another question. I get that Adien could have memorised the distance to Teoras. But how does he know the distance to docks? He does change the number after Ashe says Sarene is in the docks.

Maybe to preserve the "insurmountable distance feeling" that he created in the original edition? Not too sure, maybe that's something to ask him... As for the second point, yea I kinda wondered that too. Now that I've seen the new and old numbers though, I think I have an idea.

The difference between Teod and the Dock on the old count was 237 units.The new numbers put that difference at 41 units. Given that each "unit" is only half of his step now, that puts the Docks at 20.5 steps from where he would've gone (presumably the city center/palace gate)

I could imagine how far 20 steps would get me with.. reasonable accuracy. If being an Elantrian improves clarity of mind at all, then he's got a better distinction than I do. He might even be one of the people who are just naturally gifted with numbers (bit of an ex machina answer, but it's always possible)

Edited by The One Who Connects
Spellcheck

In the original version, Raoden puts "aldien step" as reference in the Tia Aon and a multiplier from Aldier's informations....Is this part the same ?

Because it's possible that Aldien have some intuitive knowledge about the Aon's default units and simply made Raoden convert it from "his step" to "Aon unit".

It's probably just that Raoden has longer legs than Adien, and that makes a difference. Raoden isn't really "walking", but he is using his own magic to move so he probably needs to take the size of his body into account. If Raoden has steps twice and long, he will need to have in his mind half of Adien's steps.

On 9/21/2016 at 2:08 AM, Yata said:

Because it's possible that Aldien have some intuitive knowledge about the Aon's default units and simply made Raoden convert it from "his step" to "Aon unit".

Relevant parts that got changed I mentioned in my earlier post, but i doubt I noticed everything.
In all fairness, you may be right on this point. Drawing a line that "duplicated the boy's step" seems unreasonably large now that I think about it.

9 hours ago, Figberts said:

It's probably just that Raoden has longer legs than Adien, and that makes a difference. Raoden isn't really "walking", but he is using his own magic to move so he probably needs to take the size of his body into account. If Raoden has steps twice and long, he will need to have in his mind half of Adien's steps.

I understand the logic behind this, but Raoden specifically takes a cloth and measures Aiden's step for his measurement of what equals a "step." I would support this idea if he hadn't done that in the new text though, as it's clever thinking

Does the text state "Stride" or "Step"?

By measuring a persons stride (equal to about their height) then halfing it you would end up with the length of a persons step. So if Adien says it is so-many steps then they measure his stride that might explain the why he had to cut it in half.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Page 617: "One million, fifty-four thousand, four hundred and fortty two," Adien repeated "That is how many steps it is to teoras. Measure my stride, and use half of that as your unit."+

That makes sense, since 2 steps = 1 stride.

Also @The One Who Connects, 20 steps are not necessary the difference between Teod-centre and Teod-docks: that would be the case if they would be in a direct line behind each other. It's reasonable to assume that they are not, which means the distance is a bit larger. Judging by the state of the world and my Imagination of Teod resembling northern German port-cities five hundred to two thousand five hundred are realistic,

6 hours ago, Alfa said:

That makes sense, since 2 steps = 1 stride.

That is where I made my mistake. I assumed that 2 strides were one of his steps as he says "use half as your unit." Meaning that I divided when I should have multiplied.

41 units is still the difference in steps from palace/center to docks. But with 1 unit being 2 steps, that puts the distance at 82 steps away.

Now that the number is correct, I shall respond to this

6 hours ago, Alfa said:

Also @The One Who Connects, 20 steps are not necessary the difference between Teod-centre and Teod-docks: that would be the case if they would be in a direct line behind each other. It's reasonable to assume that they are not, which means the distance is a bit larger. Judging by the state of the world and my Imagination of Teod resembling northern German port-cities five hundred to two thousand five hundred are realistic,

The Aon itself works in a straight line, so it is the case that they are 20 (82) steps in a direct line.

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

The Aon itself works in a straight line, so it is the case that they are 20 (82) steps in a direct line.

The Aon itself does - but you can "fire" it in different directions. So, for example, I am standing in Berlin, and let's assume I want to go to Hamburg. IIRC thats about 220 kilometers in a straight line.Thеn i change my mind and want to go to, say, hannover, which is (IIRC) about 200 kilometers away. If i go 200 kilometers to Hamburg i'll likely land somewhere in the Elbe river, but about 100 kilometers to the north of Hannover - since they are in pretty much different directions.

Just now, Alfa said:

The Aon itself does - but you can "fire" it in different directions. So, for example, I am standing in Berlin, and let's assume I want to go to Hamburg. IIRC thats about 220 kilometers in a straight line.Thеn i change my mind and want to go to, say, hannover, which is (IIRC) about 200 kilometers away. If i go 200 kilometers to Hamburg i'll likely land somewhere in the Elbe river, but about 100 kilometers to the north of Hannover - since they are in pretty much different directions.

While this is true, I do not believe that Aiden's updated instructions included a new direction to aim. Thus I am more or less made to assume that it is on a straight line path in this instance. It is an assumption that may be wrong, but it's the option that makes the most sense with what little we know.

You're right, it's not stated that he changes the direction; IMO the change of direction is implied when Raoden asks his his seon where sarene exactly is. Its also possibble the Seon showed the direction to Sarene from the very beginning, so the first number would have make Raoden crash into a tree or house.

• Chaos locked this topic