apun, ipun, unpun.

Sigh. being not a native speaker have its downfall, especially when you are reading a book full of pun.

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on those hard to catch one.

First Q. Smedry buster 2300? That has to come from somewhere.. where?

Stat means right away... but does that threat regarding tongue have any merit?

I believe there are way, way more. just those I can think of right now.

Smedry buster 2300 - Chapter Alice ( well, thanks Alcatraz.. that is very useful..)
 - Bombs dropped. And these weren't your ordinary bombs either. Covered in black, painted a pure black, if I'd been looking closely instead of panicking I'd have seen that they had SMEDRYBUSTER2300 stenciled on them. Himalaya had explained that she'd seen them -- weapons designed specifically to deal with members of my family -- hanging under the wings of ships above. They'd deliver a concentrated explosion at the point of impact, creating a column of lava that would rise a hundred feet in the air and burrow an equal amount down.

Stat - Chapter 17

- ... I need the cure, stat."

"Stat?" the woman asked.

"It's Latin," my mother said. "It means I'll rip out your tongues if you don't obey RIGHT NOW.",

Of course I could be thinking too much and these are not pun at all..

@moejarv Ask about any more that you don't think you understand. Jokes in other languages can be tough. I hope that we don't ruin them by explaining. To answer your questions:

Shasta's threat doesn't relate directly to the word stat. You aren't missing out on a pun there.

The name of the bomb is not a pun either, though it is a pop culture reference. The primary joke is that there is a dedicated product line of absurd overkill weaponry to target Smedrys. The "SmedryBuster 2300" name is (I believe) a reference to the way weapons are named in some role playing games, such as Warhammer 40,000. I haven't played them, so I'm not sure. I suspect that the number 2300 has some metatextual significance, but I don't know what.

Just now, ccstat said:

The "SmedryBuster 2300" name is (I believe) a reference to the way weapons are named in some role playing games, such as Warhammer 40,000. I haven't played them, so I'm not sure. I suspect that the number 2300 has some metatextual significance, but I don't know what.

In my experience pop culture often gives robots - or tools in some cases - similar names, where the name of the "product" is something that sounds one part awesome and three parts silly, and is then followed by a "model number." Blingtron 5000, for example, in the (still!) popular game World of Warcraft.

• 1 month later...

Re: Smedrybuster2300, there's also the T-1000 Terminator robot in the Terminator movies. If you think of any other jokes or puns that you think you might've missed the punchline of, do let us know. Missing out on anything funny in the Alcatraz books would be a tragedy.