Voidus

The story: You are an excited gamer, eagerly awaiting the end of a countdown to when you can begin the open beta for a new MMO 'Game of guilds', the countdown finally finishes, you create your character, blast through the opening tutorial in record time and suddenly your vision goes dark. When you awaken you look around to find a minimap in the corner of your vision, three bars above your head and a town full of NPCs staring at you.
Congratulations! You have just been virtually abducted into a game!
Thus begins your journey in roleplaying. You are surrounded by strange people who periodically switch between perfectly normal people and blank faced NPC roles, you are attacked by monsters at every turn and you periodically glow whenever you level up.

The skills:
More skills available upon reaching higher levels, having prerequisite skills, completing certain quests or even through hidden objectives.

At character creation 5 Skill Points are available, multiple points can be put into one skill to gain a higher starting level, this will unlock a random selection of recipes/abilities and is not as efficient as levelling naturally.

Skills:

Magic: Learn how to use magic!
-Chanting Magic: Basic wizard-style magic, speak your spells to unleash havock! (Must also select magic)
-Runic Magic: Inscribe runes to create an elaborate strategy and win the battles before it even begins. (Must also select magic)
-Enchantment Magic: Create Enchantments on yourself and others (Must also select magic)
Bladed weapons: Unlock the ability to wield sharp pointy things and know how to stab other people with them.
Blunt weapons: Unlock the ability to wield heavy, blunt things and hit things with them.
Archery: Unlock the ability to wield a bow and arrows
Thrown: Unlock the ability to throw things at other things!
Swimming: Learn to swim!
Writing: Free yourself from the shackles of illiteracy
Stealth: Learn how to sneak
Observation: Learn how to look at things and see more things!
Farsight: See farther than you ever have before!
Fishing: Learn to wield a fishing rod a scour the seas for all things living. Then stab them with a hook.
Smithing: Learn how to hit metal and change it into differently shaped metal. Also unlocks the ability to mine.
Carpentry: Learn how to cut wood into other shapes of wood, unlocks the ability to chop trees
Fletching: Learn how to make arrows and bows, unlocks the ability to chop trees and gather from certain feathery foes.
Gardening: Learn how to make a garden, also unlocks the ability to gather some plants.
Cooking: Learn how to prepare food, unlocks the ability to skin animals and gather plants.
Crafting: Learn how to craft things from other things. Unlocks the ability to mine and prepare certain materials.
Gatherer: Unlock the ability to gather materials like ore, plants, wood and skin animals. Unfortunately you don't know how to do anything with them.
Herbalism: Learn how to mix potions and medicines, unlocks the ability to gather plants.
Summoning: Learn how to summon things! (Requires magic to unlock most abilities)
Trapping: Learn how to trap animals! Unlocks the ability to skin animals.
Increase Endurance: Increases your endurance and... that's about it.
Increase Attack: Increases your damage and... that's about it.
Increase Magic: Increases your Mana and magic damage and... that's about it.
Resist physical: Become hardier and less easily hurt by physical attacks.
Resist Fire: Become fireproof! ... Eventually.
Resist Frost: No need for warm clothes anymore.
Resist Poison: You've made some suspicious friends, good thing you can handle anything they try to slip you.
Resist fall: You have legs of steel, resist fall damage

The races: -denotes subrace
HumansHuman alignment, Don't get a racial level, get a base 10% increase to XP gains and as humans are the most numerous race they get the most frequent persuasion options outside of shifters.
Forestfolk
-Dryad
-Ent: Nature alignment, (passive) increased endurance, (passive) non-boss plant mobs passive unless attacked, (passive) increased XP from plant gathering or farming activities.
-SwampmenNature alignment, Dark alignment, (passive) +X% resistance to physical attacks, (passive) +X% effectiveness with earth, water and swamp magic, (passive) Armour degrades X% faster, (passive) Increased aggro from non-swamp mobs, (active) Quagmire: Area of effect binding spell (consumes mana, must have Magic unlocked)
Beastfolk
-Minotaur:  Nature alignment, (passive) Strength bonus, (passive) requires custom or minotaur-dropped armour to equip, Reduced mana pool, (active) Gore: Charges enemy, inflicting high physical damage based on strength, Armour piercing.
-Satyr
-Centaur:  Nature aligned, (passive) Start with archery skill, (passive) increased stamina, (passive) Unable to equip leg armour, (passive) increased speed
-Beastmen
-Lamia/gorgon
-Harpy
Undead
-Skeleton
-Zombie
-Wraith:  Dark aligned, (passive) greatly increased physical resistance, (passive) greatly decreased endurance, (passive) immune to dark damage, (passive) decreased resistance to light damage, (passive) decreased strength, (passive) start with magic skill.
-Demon:  Dark alignment, (passive) High persuasion against human enemies, (passive) Negate fall damage, (active) Invite Possession: Target humanoid enemy becomes an ally and takes X damage per second unless it passes resistance check.
-Dullahan:  Dark alignment, (passive) vulnerability to light X%, (passive) Night vision, (active) weapon summoning: Bone whip, (active) Word of demise: Death magic, instantly kills lower levelled mob.
Elves
-Forest Elves: Nature alignment, (passive) Start with farsight skill, (passive) increased mana, (active) Wild call: Target beast creature becomes ally for duration
-Dark Elves
-City Elves
Celestials
-Angels:  Light alignment, (passive) Negate Fall damage, (passive) Light magic & recovery magic +X% effectiveness, (passive)unable to equip dark-aligned items, (Passive) Unable to attain dark or necromatic magic, (active) Divine light: Heals those of a light alignment, turns low level undead, causes fear in those of dark alignment.
-Fallen Angel:  Dark alignment, (passive) Negate fall damage, (passive) Light and Dark magic +X% effectiveness, (passive) unable to use recovery magic, (passive) Unable to be healed by recovery magic, (active) Darklight, negative energy healing (Can heal otherwise unhealable targets like undead)
-Spirit
Halflings
-Dwarves:  Human alignment, (passive) Increased XP gain from mining or smithing related activities, (passive) Increased endurance, (passive) increased chance to find gems.
-Goblin
-Orc
-Hobbit
Giants
-Cyclops
-Ogre
Creations
-Golem: Nature alignment, (passive) increased endurance, (passive) reduced HP regeneration, (passive) +X% effectiveness for earth magic, (passive) physical resistance +X%
-Elemental: Nature alignment, (passive) elemental resistance X%(Varies depending upon elemental type), (passive) unable to equip armour, (passive) physical resistance +X%, (passive) +X% effectiveness to element
-Enchanted armour
Shifters
-DoppelgangerMutable alignment, (passive)Increased charisma, (passive) increased dexterity,(passive) reduced endurance, (passive) decreased persuasion with those of suspicious or observant nature,(active) Impersonate: Targeted humanoid mob type becomes friendly for duration
-Ooze/slime:  Dark alignment, (passive) ignore physical damage below X, (passive) immune to poison,(passive) reduced stamina,(toggle) Change form- Change between humanoid or slime appearance.
(Humanoid form) - Dark alignment becomes mutable alignment,  (passive) decreased persuasion with those of suspicious or observant nature
(Slime form) - Dark alignment, (passive) decreased persuasion from all non-dark-aligned characters, (passive) +X% chance to dodge attacks, (active) consume: Lunge at target to try to consume them, target takes X damage per second, healing you for X/2 lasts until opponent passes resistance check.

Most non-human races have unique abilities, passive buffs as well as negative drawbacks. These abilities can be leveled through useage. Racial levels can be disabled, stopping your ability to level them, this will prevent you from gaining any further drawbacks or benefits related to your race but you will retain the base adjustments.
If you want to know about any specific race feel free to ask.

The beginning: Welcome to Game of Guilds! Explore an expansive world, with secrets around every corner. Explore the 101 guilds of Loutuana and put your own mark on them. Introduce magic to the fishing guild and discover the long lost secret for creating fish-rain, teach the clothiers guild close-range combat and unlock the full deadly power of crochet needles. Combine your skills to produce the ultimate Adventurer!

I want to join as Faren the Wizard. For skills, I want Magic - Runic Magic - Enchantment Magic - Herbalism - Stealth. I will be the more useful background person that helps my team.:D Faren is a nerd in the real world and has always loved rpgs because it allows him to be someone he's not. He wears a white cloak, hat, and black shirt. Faren often follows warriors around for protection and because he is able to help them the most with his Enchantment and Runic magic.

So I'll wait a bit with character concept until all the info is up but as for questions up front, how long after being sucked into the game will the RP actually start and are there going to be classes? On a note building on that, writing doesn't seem like a very MMO types of skill, more in the relam of tabletop and having a skill called crafting when there are already multiple crafting skills like smithing and carpentry seems a bit odd, although from the description it sounds like it was supposed to be mining specifically. Just my two cents on that front.:ph34r:

I want to join!! I will be Arson. skills I want are Magic- Runic Magic- Bladed Weapons- Stealth- Herbalism. 

He is trapped in the game and Really wants out. wears light armor and a long black coat.

as to actual gameplay, could you write a little clip to show how we would write from that sort of perspective (of a trapped person) and use some of the abilities described? Is it real? does it feel real? if their character dies in the game will they die in real life?

Edited by WarriorMark16

On mobile right now so more to come later but quick replies:

On 9/7/2016 at 11:27 PM, Edgedancer said:

So I'll wait a bit with character concept until all the info is up but as for questions up front, how long after being sucked into the game will the RP actually start and are there going to be classes? On a note building on that, writing doesn't seem like a very MMO types of skill, more in the relam of tabletop and having a skill called crafting when there are already multiple crafting skills like smithing and carpentry seems a bit odd, although from the description it sounds like it was supposed to be mining specifically. Just my two cents on that front.:ph34r:

Still debating where the rp will start. Probably relatively soon after being sucked in.

Writting is mostly experimental at this point but it does lead to a few other skills and abilities that are quite useful.

Crafting is something of a substitute term since i cant think of a better term. But think jewels and accessories crafting for the most part.

On 9/8/2016 at 1:26 AM, WarriorMark16 said:

I want to join!! I will be Arson. skills I want are Magic- Runic Magic- Bladed Weapons- Stealth- Herbalism. 

He is trapped in the game and Really wants out. wears light armor and a long black coat.

as to actual gameplay, could you write a little clip to show how we would write from that sort of perspective (of a trapped person) and use some of the abilities described? Is it real? does it feel real? if their character dies in the game will they die in real life?

Sample post coming soon but to answer a few of those: death isn't permanent,  it feels and looks real to the trapped players though things like pain are muted and affected by stats.

Abilities that are usable will be sent to players once game starts. You can then make them public or keep them secret if you'd prefer.

Any chance of of getting a vague idea of what writting could be used for later on? Also, how does not having the skill relate to text display, does it all get scrambled by the UI or something?
What's the damage scaling between melee and ranged attack? (aka, realistic or usual game balance?)
Also, last question I can think of on the top of my head, does stamina or the like exsist and still affect the person?

32 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Any chance of of getting a vague idea of what writting could be used for later on? Also, how does not having the skill relate to text display, does it all get scrambled by the UI or something?
What's the damage scaling between melee and ranged attack? (aka, realistic or usual game balance?)
Also, last question I can think of on the top of my head, does stamina or the like exsist and still affect the person?

Later on? Scroll creation and unlocking  ink-magic.

Depends on the text but yeah that's the general idea.

Archery has relatively lower dps but you can strafe as you shoot so it's to compensate for the obvious kiting potential.

Stamina exists, players can feel it but again to a muted level and it recovers quickly, there's no issues with long term endurance just sprinting and other stamina-consuming actions.

32 minutes ago, Morzathoth said:

I might join. Maybe as a magical assassin or something.

How flashy is magic? Could I sneak murder with it?

Difficult at the start but yes you can stealth kill with magic if you have stealth.

7 hours ago, Voidus said:

Later on? Scroll creation and unlocking  ink-magic.

Depends on the text but yeah that's the general idea.

Archery has relatively lower dps but you can strafe as you shoot so it's to compensate for the obvious kiting potential.

Stamina exists, players can feel it but again to a muted level and it recovers quickly, there's no issues with long term endurance just sprinting and other stamina-consuming actions.

You can be Scribbler in this game? Totally adding that to the list now.:ph34r:

I'd like to echo Cloudjumper's question, but I'm going ahead and making a character anyway:

Amarthion: a paranoid engineer who loves mining, traps, and defensive magic.  Magic + Runic Magic + Gathering + Smithing (for mining as well as construction) + Carpentry

2 hours ago, cloudjumper said:

How much of a time commitment will it be? Will I be able to just check in a couple times a day and post?

As much or as little as you want really. If you think you'll be very scarcely active then you can be a non sucked-in player who logs out for long periods. If you want me to play-by-play every npc action for your character I'm more than happy to though I'm not on 24/7 so it may involve some waiting. The middle ground will involve me pming you general situations as a sort of template scene and then you fill them in with your characters reactions.

I'm working on a slightly more elaborate solution too but it might be a while off.

I would like to know the abilities of the angel, fallen angel, minotaur, enchanted armor, and doppelganger. I think I am actually going to switch my character into an assassin that doesn't use magic.

My assassin character would have the same backstory and name, but have the Stealth - Archery - Fletching - Farsight - Resist Fall.

I also might make a knight instead of the other two. I don't want this place to be filled with just magic users.:D Skills, Bladed Weapons - Increase Attack - Increase Endurance - Resist Physical - Smithing.

Edited by Conquestor

Angel: Light alignment, (passive) Negate Fall damage, (passive) Light magic & recovery magic +X% effectiveness, (passive)unable to equip dark-aligned items, (Passive) Unable to attain dark or necromatic magic, (active) Divine light: Heals those of a light alignment, turns low level undead, causes fear in those of dark alignment.
Fallen Angel: Dark alignment, (passive) Negate fall damage, (passive) Light and Dark magic +X% effectiveness, (passive) unable to use recovery magic, (passive) Unable to be healed by recovery magic, (active) Darklight, negative energy healing (Can heal otherwise unhealable targets like undead)
Minotaur: Nature alignment, (passive) Strength bonus, (passive) requires custom or minotaur-dropped armour to equip, Reduced mana pool, (active) Gore: Charges enemy, inflicting high physical damage based on strength, Armour piercing.
Doppelganger: Mutable alignment, (passive)Increased charisma, (passive) increased dexterity,(passive) reduced endurance, (passive) decreased persuasion with those of suspicious or observant nature,(active) Impersonate: Targeted humanoid mob type becomes friendly for duration

Alignments have a slew of miscellaneous effects, mostly used in dialogue and persuasion checks. Light and dark alignments also carry bonuses to resistance for their element, weakness to the other.
Shifters have mutable alignment which basically gives them a slightly reduced version of all the alignments dialogue and persuasion bonus.

46 minutes ago, Conquestor said:

I also might maknight instead of the other two. I don't want this place to be filled with just magic users.:D Skills, Bladed Weapons - Increase Attack - Increase Endurance - Resist Physical - Smithing.

I am going to make a Minotaur knight, I just really like the idea and I figure we need less magical people. Faren also uses his Smithing skill to make his own armour.

Dullahan: Dark alignment, (passive) vulnerability to light X%, (passive) Night vision, (active) weapon summoning: Bone whip, (active) Word of demise: Death magic, instantly kills lower levelled mob.
Demon: Dark alignment, (passive) High persuasion against human enemies, (passive) Negate fall damage, (active) Invite Possession: Target humanoid enemy becomes an ally and takes X damage per second unless it passes resistance check.
Elemental(Fire, water, energy): Nature alignment, (passive) elemental resistance X%(Varies depending upon elemental type), (passive) unable to equip armour, (passive) physical resistance +X%, (passive) +X% effectiveness to element
Dwarves: Human alignment, (passive) Increased XP gain from mining or smithing related activities, (passive) Increased endurance, (passive) increased chance to find gems.
Ents: Nature alignment, (passive) increased endurance, (passive) non-boss plant mobs passive unless attacked, (passive) increased XP from plant gathering or farming activities.
Forest Elves: Nature alignment, (passive) Start with farsight skill, (passive) increased mana, (active) Wild call: Target beast creature becomes ally for duration
Golem: Nature alignment, (passive) increased endurance, (passive) reduced HP regeneration, (passive) +X% effectiveness for earth magic, (passive) physical resistance +X%

Ok, sending out PMs now to those who have finished basic character builds. Feel free to ask anything more before you finish deciding though.

2 hours ago, Conquestor said:

I am going to make a Minotaur knight, I just really like the idea and I figure we need less magical people. Faren also uses his Smithing skill to make his own armour.

Sticking with those skills too?

28 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Ok, sending out PMs now to those who have finished basic character builds. Feel free to ask anything more before you finish deciding though.

Sticking with those skills too?

Yes, I feel they stick with the character. Also, this is a guild game, so, Edgedancer, want to start a knight/tank guild with me?

45 minutes ago, Conquestor said:

Yes, I feel they stick with the character. Also, this is a guild game, so, Edgedancer, want to start a knight/tank guild with me?

To be fair, I'm not sure if my character really fits into the knight/tank mold. That and how exactly does the guild system even work?

3 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

To be fair, I'm not sure if my character really fits into the knight/tank mold. That and how exactly does the guild system even work?

Guilds are the already existing NPC groups who have their own questlines and benefits for joining, groups of player characters are clans.
Though if anyone has any ideas for a guild then I'm definitely up for it.