Food. Food. Food. And spreads

Darkness Ascendant

18 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I've got a question:

How does the sandwich you usually eat or is usually eaten in your area look like? Is it the slice of breath, butter, stuff AND another slice of bread on top or without the second slice on top?

I'm curious.

Here in Poland we usually use only one slice. Two if we take the lunch out, to school or work.

Here in the US, it's usually two slices. If only one slice is used, sometimes it's folded in half to make a smaller sandwich. Sandwiches here are usually eaten by hand (we call that sort of thing "finger food") so most sandwiches are closed-face. Open-face sandwiches are more knife-and-fork affairs. 

EDIT: Oh, and I thought I'd add: Most sandwiches here don't include butter. The exception would be a sandwich like grilled cheese that's meant to be fried in a pan until crispy, but then the butter is less of a sandwich ingredient and more a means to an end. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I've got a question:

How does the sandwich you usually eat or is usually eaten in your area look like? Is it the slice of breath, butter, stuff AND another slice of bread on top or without the second slice on top?

I'm curious.

Here in Poland we usually use only one slice. Two if we take the lunch out, to school or work.

Depends on what you're making. If it's something that can stay relatively stable with just one slice of bread (jam, peanut butter, PB&J, basically), then you can totally make it with one slice and bring it elsewhere. Making a full-fledged sandwich (with greens, meat and maybe cheese) with just one slice of bread usually gets too thick to really handle well.

I personally prefer making wraps nowadays because they're portable, and can fit a full serving of vegetables and meat in a small package.

Come on. Spicy jelly is good! Specifically we make our own jalapeño jelly. You don't put it on most things though. You have to put out a block of cream cheese to soften, then spread the jelly on it. Then you use a cracker of choice to scrape the two off your dish. Mmmm. Crackers, cheese, and jalapeño jelly.

On a separate note, what do you guys make yourselves that is different from normal cooking? We make candy canes and vanilla. That vanilla is storming good!

4 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I've got a question:

I'm curious.

Over here in germany (or at least the part I live in) we're more likely to eat it with only one sllice of bread, assuming it doesn't need to be transported, but we wouldn't call that a sandwich.

4 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

Come on. Spicy jelly is good! Specifically we make our own jalapeño jelly. You don't put it on most things though. You have to put out a block of cream cheese to soften, then spread the jelly on it. Then you use a cracker of choice to scrape the two off your dish. Mmmm. Crackers, cheese, and jalapeño jelly.

On a separate note, what do you guys make yourselves that is different from normal cooking? We make candy canes and vanilla. That vanilla is storming good!

Oof. Spicy jelly.

My sister once had to sell these spicy pickles for a fundraiser (they were called Spickles...) and I tried one and it was not a good idea nope no no sirree.

I put little piles of cheese on sheets of paprchment paper, microwave it for ~2 minutes, and voila, crispy cheese. 

2 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Spickles

"Seen the Fizzing Whizbees, Harry?" said Ron, grabbing him and leading him over to their barrel. "And the Jelly Slugs? And the Acid Pops? Fred gave me one of those when I was seven -- it burnt a hole right through my tongue. I remember Mum walloping him with her broomstick." Ron stared broodingly into the Acid Pop box. "Reckon Fred'd take a bite of Cockroach Cluster if I told him they were peanuts?" Ron thought for amount. "Na, they probably already know what they look like, oh how about these Spickles? I could slip them into their lunch or something. I wonder how much they are"

Right then, a staff-member stepped up beside them, "Ah you want some Spickles? A kilo would be 2 Sickles". Harry nearly turned around in surprise, but steeled himself, for surely the staff member would recognise who he was.

On 03/10/2016 at 4:18 AM, Oversleep said:

I've got a question:

I'm curious.

I have a fundamental issue with this question. 

A sandwhich is two slices of bread. Full stop. Anything else is a slice of bread with something on it. 

You could also cut one slice in half and put them on either side of a filling. That would be acceptable. But if there is only one bread solid it is not a sandwhich. 

49 minutes ago, Delightful said:

I have a fundamental issue with this question. 

A sandwhich is two slices of bread. Full stop. Anything else is a slice of bread with something on it. 

You could also cut one slice in half and put them on either side of a filling. That would be acceptable. But if there is only one bread solid it is not a sandwhich. 

Food Network disagrees with you. :P 

I'm sorry, but I'm with @Delightful

On the naming of the sandwich:

"Montague [Earl of Sandwich] was a hardened gambler and usually gambled for hours at a time at this restaurant, sometimes refusing to get up even for meals.  It is said that [he] ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread.  Because Montague also happened to be the Fourth Earl of Sandwich, others began to order “the same as Sandwich!”  The original sandwich was, in fact, a piece of salt beef between two slices of toasted bread."

Source - https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SandwichHistory.htm

Thus a sandwich has the fillings 'sandwiched' between two slices of bread. 

The other items commonly referred to as 'open faced sandwiches' should rather be referred to as 'bread and/with cheese/meat/etc' as they were historically known. 

This is terribly vital issue of great relevance and international importance, that we should settle immediately and allow no leeway on. 

9 minutes ago, Erunion said:

I'm sorry, but I'm with @Delightful

On the naming of the sandwich:

Thus a sandwich has the fillings 'sandwiched' between two slices of bread. 

The other items commonly referred to as 'open faced sandwiches' should rather be referred to as 'bread and/with cheese/meat/etc' as they were historically known. 

This is terribly vital issue of great relevance and international importance, that we should settle immediately and allow no leeway on. 

No need to apologise for agreeing with me :P:P:P

Re: sandwiches, my default thought when someone just says "sandwich" is the double-bread version because I've lived in the US all my life and that's what is accepted as a sandwich here. But I also accept the existence of the single-bread version; it's just not likely that I'll think of that unless you specify "open-faced."

1 minute ago, Sunbird said:

Re: sandwiches, my default thought when someone just says "sandwich" is the double-bread version because I've lived in the US all my life and that's what is accepted as a sandwich here. But I also accept the existence of the single-bread version; it's just not likely that I'll think of that unless you specify "open-faced."

Don't bow to the pressures of the heathen! Single bread... things... cannot be sandwiches! They are merely bread and {insert topping here}! 

Only true, double breaded foods, with properly sandwiched fillings, can be referred to as sandwiches! 

This is a vitally important truth that must be shared with the world before it is too late. 

9 minutes ago, Delightful said:

What do we think of three slices of bread? I think that's a sandwhich too. The middle slice is part of the filling, sort of. 

Agreed. 

Man - I used to make the best clubhouse sandwich as a three decker, usually after thanksgiving or Christmas when I had leftover roast turkey. 

Three slices of lightly toasted, homemade bread. Turkey meat, ideally thickly sliced white breastmeat. Lettuce, tomstoe and havarti cheese. A secondary meat for contrast, usually bacon but any salty meat will do - seasoned luncheon meat beef worked well. For sauce, a simple mayonnaise and ketchup mix (one part ketchup to two parts mayonnaise is best, but its flexible if you prefer a stronger flavour). 

Take a slice of the lightly toasted bread, slather it with sauce on one side. Put the turkey and the second meat on it, then place the havarti on top. Take a second slice of the bread, cover both sides with sauce. Place it on top. Place be lettuce and tomatoe on top of the second slice. Take a third slice, slather one side with sauce, and cap the sandwich with it. 

If possible, serve while the breads still warm. 

Fresh, warm bread works even better than toasted. If you're not as hungry, you can remove the middle slice of bread. If fresh roast turkey isn't available, store bought luncheon meat turkey can be substituted. It's just not as nice. The cheese can also be done without, if need be. 

Man, I'm hungry now. 

41 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I invented a deliciously unhealthy "sandwich" yesterday. :ph34r:

Take an Oreo cookie and split it open. Spread the inside of one half with a small amount of peanut butter, and the other with cold caramel sauce (for easier spreading). Put the halves together again, and enjoy. 

Ooh, unhealthy Oreos.

You could take three Oreos, split two so you have two sides with cream on it, and put the third (whole) one between both.

Bonus points if you do it with different flavored Oreos.

that sandwiches thing is cultural/language quirk. In Poland we do not have separate terms for two-slices-of-bread-food and one-slice-of-bread-food. The closest translation of the term we use is 'sandwich'.

Also, cookies are best homemade. Do not accept things you can buy. They want you to think that's what you should eat. Why would you listen to them?

4 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

that sandwiches thing is cultural/language quirk. In Poland we do not have separate terms for two-slices-of-bread-food and one-slice-of-bread-food. The closest translation of the term we use is 'sandwich'.

Also, cookies are best homemade. Do not accept things you can buy. They want you to think that's what you should eat. Why would you listen to them?

I only buy Oreos, since I can't really make those at home. Otherwise, yes, make cookies at home. And for Harmony's sake, don't fill them with whole wheat flour and oat bran. Don't try to make a hunk of sugar and butter or butter substitute healthy. 

24 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I only buy Oreos, since I can't really make those at home. Otherwise, yes, make cookies at home. And for Harmony's sake, don't fill them with whole wheat flour and oat bran. Don't try to make a hunk of sugar and butter or butter substitute healthy. 

I make cookies with whole wheat flour and raw sugar. They are delicious.