Food. Food. Food. And spreads

Darkness Ascendant

19 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I improvised a sauce last night. I chopped up some dried apricots, sautéed garlic and onions, and put them all in a pot with white wine, herbs and sugar, then poured it over chicken and baked. 'Twas tasty. 

I have no experience making sauces unless you count flour, butter, milk, cheese =. Cheese sauce of questionable texture. But that sounds really good. I would never have though of dried apricots, I'd probably automatically go for something tomato based. 

1 minute ago, Delightful said:

I have no experience making sauces unless you count flour, butter, milk, cheese =. Cheese sauce of questionable texture. But that sounds really good. I would never have though of dried apricots, I'd probably automatically go for something tomato based. 

Yeah, sweet and savory ingredients put together make some surprisingly tasty sauces. Especially if garlic is involved, but then again, I love garlic. 

1 hour ago, Straw said:

Anyone want to post some recipes?

The one that comes to mind is three-ingredient cookies.

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Mix together ingredients. Place spoonfuls on cookie sheet; use fork to press a cross in each cookie. Bake at 350 degrees F (about 175 degrees C) for 5-10 minutes.

They're the easiest things ever, I swear. And really tasty to boot. Not all that healthy, though. :P

20 minutes ago, Mistrunner said:

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Mix together ingredients. Place spoonfuls on cookie sheet; use fork to press a cross in each cookie. Bake at 350 degrees F (about 175 degrees C) for 5-10 minutes.

They're the easiest things ever, I swear. And really tasty to boot. Not all that healthy, though. :P

It sounds like they'd melt a lot in the oven. :mellow: 

I'd share some of my recipes, but….well…..

Twi's Apricot Chicken 

1 boneless skinless chicken breast 
Dried apricots, diced 
White wine 
Vinegar 
Brown sugar
Light olive oil or butter 
Garlic, minced
Onions 
Thyme
Rosemary
Salt and pepper 

Salt and pepper chicken breast to taste, place in glass pan. Heat oil and sauté garlic and onion; how much of each you use is up to you. When onions are translucent, add apricots and sauté for a minute or so. Add white wine and a splash of vinegar, then brown sugar. Just eyeball it until it looks like you have enough wine and sugar. Increase heat and stir constantly until mixture bubbles. While you wait for bubbles, add salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Keep tasting sauce until it tastes good to you; add more of any ingredient as needed. When the sauce is finally how you want it, pour over chicken and bake at 350 F until done. 

Yeah. That's why I don't post many of my recipes. :P 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Butterscotch brownie recipe:

1 1/3 cup flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup butter

2 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla 

Sift flour, salt, and  baking powder together. Melt butter in saucepan large enough to serve as mixing bowl. Remove from heat, stir in sugar and eggs, vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Spread mixture in a well buttered 9 x 12 pan. Bake 350 degrees F (175 C) for 12-15 minutes (take out when slightly underdone for best taste and texture). If you want a smaller serving halve the ingredients and bake in a 8 x 8 pan.

6 hours ago, Mistrunner said:

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Last time I made peanut butter cookies they ended up ridiculously oily. Any tips on avoiding this? 

Oreo chunk cookies: 

Ingredients

• 1 c. (16 T.) butter, melted
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 T. vanilla extract
  • 3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 T. cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 c. semisweet chocolate disks or chunks
  • 2 c. chopped Oreos

Instructions

1. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until fluffy and well-combined.
  3. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides as needed.
  4. Stir in vanilla extract until incorporated.
  5. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
  6. Stir in flour mixture until just incorporated.
  7. Gently fold in chocolate disks and Oreos until just combined.
  8. Cover, and refrigerate dough at least 3 hours (up to 24 hours). The cookies will hold their shape better if you refrigerate the dough for 8-24 hours.
  9. Toward the end of the chilling time, preheat oven to 350 F.
  10. Drop scoops of dough onto prepared cookie sheets using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons).
  11. Bake for 8-9 minutes. You want the edges to be just barely golden brown.
  12. Remove from oven, and let cool for 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet.
  13. Transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
Edited by Straw

• 2 weeks later...

Little random, but does anyone else like garlic spread.  I'll try to get a picture of it next time I go to the super market.  But I spread it on my toast like cream cheese.  And it tastes amazing.  At least I think so.

I used to eat so much of it, that I started getting a garlicky smell around me.  So I had to drastically cut back.  Even so, love that stuff.

On 19 September 2016 at 3:49 PM, mattig89ch said:

Little random, but does anyone else like garlic spread.  I'll try to get a picture of it next time I go to the super market.  But I spread it on my toast like cream cheese.  And it tastes amazing.  At least I think so.

I used to eat so much of it, that I started getting a garlicky smell around me.  So I had to drastically cut back.  Even so, love that stuff.

Hell yeah!

On 9/19/2016 at 1:49 AM, mattig89ch said:

Ye boi!

In a similar vein, my grandpa lived in Sweden for two years on a religious mission about 50-ish years ago, and he tells me he ate a lot of sauerkraut while he was over there because it was cheap. The neighbors would see him bringing lots of it home and ask him what he was doing with all of it, and when he told them he was just eating it, they were like o_O "You must have a steel stomach!"

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question:

How does the sandwich you usually eat or is usually eaten in your area look like? Is it the slice of breath, butter, stuff AND another slice of bread on top or without the second slice on top?

I'm curious.

Here in Poland we usually use only one slice. Two if we take the lunch out, to school or work.