Food. Food. Food. And spreads

Darkness Ascendant

6 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I had a teaspoon once...

That's a lot, from what I hear. Probably nothing like taking a bite directly from one like I saw a guy do on TV (actually, I think it was Guy Fieri).

14 hours ago, Jondesu said:

That's a lot, from what I hear. Probably nothing like taking a bite directly from one like I saw a guy do on TV (actually, I think it was Guy Fieri).

it was a teaspoon of extract, yeah its alot and well, I've grown up eating chilly and spicy stuff so I'd assume the effects were lessened for me.

But yeah...it was hot.

Couldn't taste the milk as I chugged it afterwards heh

• 4 months later...

I'm shamelessly practicing thread necromancy so I can share some of the delicious things I've eaten of late! :ph34r:

I'm a huge fan of japanese cuisine, and recently I've been on a mission to sample foods from fiction.

Spoiler

The first item is a steamed azuki (red bean) bun, which is a popular snack in Japan. I first saw it in 'Spirited Away' (my favourite movie of all time), during the scene where Chihiro is looking out at the ocean whilst eating. The steamed bun had a divine, fluffy texture. I'm a fan of the light sweetness of azuki bean fillings generally, so I enjoyed this very much!

20170908_130641.thumb.jpg.1ec656a89627a61e35b6f270f7fa40c0.jpg20171010_152028.thumb.png.63edddf10b821584bb033f1ab44700f6.png

Spoiler

The second item is arguably even more popular in Japan, and that's Takoyaki! It's been featured in countless japanese anime and manga, and is synonymous with japanese streetfood/omatsuris (festivals). Takoyaki is one of my favourite foods of all time. It has a lovely savory batter with morsels of octopus, topped with bonito flakes and a sauce which adds a perfect hint of sharpness. 

20170908_130634.thumb.jpg.347e68be4b2bddccaebb566672c5ad8d.jpg20171010_152306.thumb.png.629f3a12c5e506a0096efed2f7f95d15.png

Yay thread necromancy!

Availability of kosher food in this country is AMAZING. For the *first time* recently I've had Thai and Japanese food. Plus I can order it TO MY DOOR. I know this was exciting for the rest of the universe like fifty years ago but it's all new to me and I'm happy freaking out! 

56 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Yay thread necromancy!

Availability of kosher food in this country is AMAZING. For the *first time* recently I've had Thai and Japanese food. Plus I can order it TO MY DOOR. I know this was exciting for the rest of the universe like fifty years ago but it's all new to me and I'm happy freaking out! 

The little things really do matter, you know?

57 minutes ago, Delightful said:

As opposed to fake honey?

Yeah, we have this stuff in supermarkets sometimes. I don't know how this stuff is made, but I'm sure no bee was involved. Just like we have fake chocolate (its literary called chocolate-like product on the label).

17 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Yeah, we have this stuff in supermarkets sometimes. I don't know how this stuff is made, but I'm sure no bee was involved. Just like we have fake chocolate (its literary called chocolate-like product on the label).

Or vegan cheese? (This thing exists) 

6 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Cashews, sesame seeds, soybeans, coconut oil, rice, almonds and other nuts, and nutritional yeast.

According to Wikipedia

I have a vegan friend!  The vegan cheeses I've made for her mostly using cashews, although it does have those other ingredients mixed in.  Usually it takes a couple of days to ferment before flavoring ingredients are added and it's put into the form to dry.

6 hours ago, Sunchicken said:

What would you even make vegan cheese out of? Soy milk??

Unfortunately, soy milk doesn't have the same protein structure as dairy milk so it doesn't coagulate the same way.  The closest you can get is soy yogurt

On 14/10/2017 at 0:01 AM, anna said:

I have a vegan friend!  The vegan cheeses I've made for her mostly using cashews, although it does have those other ingredients mixed in.  Usually it takes a couple of days to ferment before flavoring ingredients are added and it's put into the form to dry.

My deepest condolences to your friend, they are a very brave person.

if any of you folks are like me and in need something simple to make that is tasty...

• one can of chicken or else one (more likely half given how much meat is in a lot of packages) small package of chicken breasts, tenders or boneless thighs that you cut up into small pieces
  • one family sized bag of rice
  • Italian dressing
  • spices to taste

Marinate the chicken in the dressing with some salt and pepper to taste.  Boil the water for the rice.  Once it's at a boil, drain off the excess dressing from the chicken and stir fry it with olive oil and just about any other spices you care to try.  I've done it with just the salt and pepper and it's fine, also works with sage, oregano, and a slew of other things.  By the time the rice is done boiling, the chicken should be about done.  Mix together and serve.

Credit goes to my wife on this one.  I was unemployed for most of a year and we had very little to pick from in the pantry at times.  She tried all kinds of stuff, this was by far the best - deliciously tangy and because of the rice very filling.  I've cooked it on retreat with teenaged boys and they eat it like locusts devouring crops.  It scales up well, for each can add another bag of rice.

4 hours ago, Mulk said:

if any of you folks are like me and in need something simple to make that is tasty...

• one can of chicken or else one (more likely half given how much meat is in a lot of packages) small package of chicken breasts, tenders or boneless thighs that you cut up into small pieces
  • one family sized bag of rice
  • Italian dressing
  • spices to taste

Marinate the chicken in the dressing with some salt and pepper to taste.  Boil the water for the rice.  Once it's at a boil, drain off the excess dressing from the chicken and stir fry it with olive oil and just about any other spices you care to try.  I've done it with just the salt and pepper and it's fine, also works with sage, oregano, and a slew of other things.  By the time the rice is done boiling, the chicken should be about done.  Mix together and serve.

Credit goes to my wife on this one.  I was unemployed for most of a year and we had very little to pick from in the pantry at times.  She tried all kinds of stuff, this was by far the best - deliciously tangy and because of the rice very filling.  I've cooked it on retreat with teenaged boys and they eat it like locusts devouring crops.  It scales up well, for each can add another bag of rice.

You buy chicken in cans??