Food. Food. Food. And spreads

Darkness Ascendant

I think it's time we moved the conversation over here everyone :) 

So, lets sum it up

Peanut butter shall not be spoken of :) Marmite does not exist, Vegemite tastes bad, Nutella is good in small doses and @Erunion deserves better than our petty tastes

So.....Sausages and Cheese aye (and jam as well if you wish)

This time of year, my tomatoes ripen. There are a lot of them, so we're eating lots of them... and in every meal possible. This obviously means we're eating a lot of Italian food and that's awesome :D

Have you ever eaten a tomato like you would eat an apple? I do.

6 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

This time of year, my tomatoes ripen. There are a lot of them, so we're eating lots of them... and in every meal possible. This obviously means we're eating a lot of Italian food and that's awesome :D

Blech. I have nothing against tomatoes in sauces or soups, but there's something about the texture of them—raw or cooked—that just turns me off.

8 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I do too :rolleyes: my family considers it odd

Food. Food. The deliciousness of food is clear evidence of a benevolent deity ;D

In this I must support @TwiLyghtSansSparkles - peanut butter is not to be underestimated. One of my favourite evening snacks (or light late night dinners when I get home from work at 9:30) is a tortilla, with melted peanut butter (15 seconds in the microwave, on the tortilla), wrapped around a banana. 

Slightly sweet, slightly savoury, slightly salty, and an amazing post work/workout snack (great nutrition too!). 

7 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

So, lets sum it up

Peanut butter shall not be spoken of :) Marmite does not exist, Vegemite tastes bad, Nutella is good in small doses and @Erunion deserves better than our petty tastes

So.....Sausages and Cheese aye (and

Call yourself an Aussie? :o next you'll say you don't like singing Waltzing Matilda, or beating up crocs bare-handed!

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I have eaten a tomato like that. Not regularly though. 

I just can't eat most tomatoes.  The texture, the taste... Yech. 

Except for Cherry tomatoes, which I eat like grapes. :P  

And I don't have a problem with any tomato based products.  Huh.

As for spreads, Sour Cream is the only way to go.  It goes on everything.  EVERYTHING.  :ph34r:

Edited by Magestar

10 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I start to suspect that obtaining good, fresh tomatoes is very hard in USA.

4 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Me too...

It's actually not that difficult. Even if your supermarket doesn't stock top quality produce, a fair number of people grow them in backyard gardens, and sell the surplus at farmers' markets. I've tried them straight out of the garden, as fresh as fresh can get, and I didn't like them any more than I liked them from the supermarket. 

29 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It's actually not that difficult. Even if your supermarket doesn't stock top quality produce, a fair number of people grow them in backyard gardens, and sell the surplus at farmers' markets. I've tried them straight out of the garden, as fresh as fresh can get, and I didn't like them any more than I liked them from the supermarket. 

I eat them straight out of the Garden, when I have to eat them, but I wonder if the seeds used in the USA are just all genetically modified anyway.

Or maybe you just can't grow them right here.  :blink:

57 minutes ago, Magestar said:

I eat them straight out of the Garden, when I have to eat them, but I wonder if the seeds used in the USA are just all genetically modified anyway.

Or maybe you just can't grow them right here.  :blink:

A little known fact is that most of tomatoes you eat are genetically modified. However, it has no effect on the taste.

I'd suspect the conditions. I buy only from farmers' market and I still have to know who has good ones.

11 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

So, lets sum it up

So.....Sausages and Cheese aye (and jam as well if you wish)

As a person living in UK I can confirm that Marmite does exist. You can buy it in every shop, it's everywhere. Also as a person currently working as a Catering Assistant in the UK in the restaurant that caters up to 2500 ppl per meal (2-3 meals a day) I can confirm that noone ever eats Marmite. Like noone. But everyone eats Nutella. 

So my only conclusion is that people buy Marmite and then don't eat it. True story, guys. 

4 hours ago, Magestar said:

I just can't eat most tomatoes.  The texture, the taste... Yech. 

Except for Cherry tomatoes, which I eat like grapes. :P  

And I don't have a problem with any tomato based products.  Huh.

As for spreads, Sour Cream is the only way to go.  It goes on everything.  EVERYTHING.  :ph34r:

You spelled melted cheese wrong :P 

13 hours ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

Has anyone tried cucumber with Nutella? My friend's obsessed with it, I think it tastes horrible.

go, have a chat with @Erunion

I'm surprised, somone downvoted my post. Huh, they must be against foodism or something like that. I was mainly joking when I made that post, assumed it would be a light-hearted conversation. 

7 hours ago, Magestar said:

Except for Cherry tomatoes, which I eat like grapes

yep

The OP was a joke guys, calm down.

Also, who here likes Garlic Sauce? or aioli?

I love them both

4 hours ago, Pestis the Spider said:

As a person living in UK I can confirm that Marmite does exist. You can buy it in every shop, it's everywhere. Also as a person currently working as a Catering Assistant in the UK in the restaurant that caters up to 2500 ppl per meal (2-3 meals a day) I can confirm that noone ever eats Marmite. Like noone. But everyone eats Nutella. 

So my only conclusion is that people buy Marmite and then don't eat it. True story, guys. 

Were you to see pepper jelly on the shelf of a US grocery store, you might think the same thing as you do about Marmite—that people buy it but don't eat it. 

You would be wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. 

My grandmother buys pepper jelly. And she eats it. On peanut butter sandwiches. I will never forget the time….the time….the…the picnic….when….oh, I was so hungry, so grateful for that peanut butter sandwich, and I bit into it and…. *shudder* 

1 minute ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Pepper jelly. The things people are bothered making.

I now remember reading about how the chinese have stuff like meat ice-cream 

It's so horrible! I don't know why anyone eats it! 

Though—I think I know why she, my grandmother, eats it. I've long suspected her taste buds were burned off or fatefully rearranged. It would explain the deviled ham salad sandwiches that made my then-four-year-old sister burst into tears. :mellow: